Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

British movie about a bunch of punk teenagers late 70s or early 80s,theres a scene where they steal a double decker bus and go on a joyride with one of them standing on the roof.I think the bus crashes or brakes suddenly and the guy on the roof falls off and is killed.I'm pretty sure the actress who played Rodneys girlfriend in Only Fools is one of the punks.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

SameDiff wrote: »
    Does anyone know a film which features a massive flood at the end?

Yes hilarious, not Noah or Evan Almighty. This was set in a typical American suburb.

It's been driving me demented for about five years now.

I'm convinced it's got the word "happiness" in the title, or something like that.

Deep Impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

darkdubh wrote: »
    British movie about a bunch of punk teenagers late 70s or early 80s,theres a scene where they steal a double decker bus and go on a joyride with one of them standing on the roof.I think the bus crashes or brakes suddenly and the guy on the roof falls off and is killed.I'm pretty sure the actress who played Rodneys girlfriend in Only Fools is one of the punks.

Bloody Kids?
    Hi guys. This popped into my head listening to some Beastie Boys
    Film set in New York about youngish guys ages ~ 18 to 23. I think they were Italian heritage.

Couple of scenes I think were in the film:
    - They stage a fake fight amongst themselves on the subway.
    - I think at the end of the film guy wakes up after sleeping/passing out and walks away.

Film was from late 80s / early 90s.

any ideas?

Thanks.

The Steven Seagal film Out For Justice features No Sleep till Brooklyn and there's fighting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Ageyev wrote: »
    The Steven Seagal film Out For Justice features No Sleep till Brooklyn and there's fighting in it.
    No I don't think there was necessarily any Beastie Boys songs in the movie or reference.
    More a Boys coming of age type film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Deep Impact

Nowhere close. It was a good film.

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »
    Bloody Kids?

Yeah that seems to be it allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bloody Kids was directed by Stephen Frears. He also directed The Hit and The Snapper.

Long shot as it was years ago that I saw this movie and can remember very little of it.1970s I'd say , psychological horror US film about a woman who kills her husband who if I remember correctly was abusive.It was a kind of desert setting maybe Texas or somewhere like that.She sticks his body down a well but she gets paranoid that hes not dead and goes out to the well and finds that hes still there dead.I'm a bit vague about the rest of the movie but I'm sure that he comes back and she kills him again,possibly in her imagination I don't know.I remember he was kind of menacing and sleazy and he looked like a dead ringer for Robert Shaw in Jaws if you can picture him without the moustache but I don't think he was actually played by him as theres nothing in his filmography matching this.

Sounds a bit like "Dolores Claiborne" to me but that's from '95.

Long shot as it was years ago that I saw this movie and can remember very little of it.1970s I'd say , psychological horror US film about a woman who kills her husband who if I remember correctly was abusive.It was a kind of desert setting maybe Texas or somewhere like that.She sticks his body down a well but she gets paranoid that hes not dead and goes out to the well and finds that hes still there dead.I'm a bit vague about the rest of the movie but I'm sure that he comes back and she kills him again,possibly in her imagination I don't know.I remember he was kind of menacing and sleazy and he looked like a dead ringer for Robert Shaw in Jaws if you can picture him without the moustache but I don't think he was actually played by him as theres nothing in his filmography matching this.

It's familiar. Probably an ABC TVM from this list
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Movie_of_the_Week#Filmography

• Advertisement

Another one thats been bugging me for years ,the details are a bit sketchy.I'm sure this movie was from the early 70s and was about this elderly man who witnesses a murder.I've a feeling he may have been played by the guy who did the Grandfather in the original Willy Wonka movie.Anyway theres a scene where hes looking out the window and he sees a black man sitting in a car.The blackman is smiling menacingly and makes a cutthroat motion with his finger to the old man.When he reports this to the police they don't believe him.I think the black guy may have commited the murder but from what I remember nobody believes the old guy and think hes imagining things.It was an inner city setting.Maybe New York.

Very interesting list.I'll go through it more thoroughly later but straight away its solved one of my queries about another movie I posted about here some time back,nice one.When I saw it on the list I remembered that as the movie I saw years ago.The Old Man Who Cried Wolf.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066179/

Very interesting list.I'll go through it more thoroughly later but straight away its solved one of my queries about another movie I posted about here some time back,nice one.When I saw it on the list I remembered that as the movie I saw years ago.The Old Man Who Cried Wolf.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066179/

Glad I could help.

There's a lot of classics on that list. The accompanying book is also worth a read - Movieofbook.jpg

I've picked up a few of the films via VHS off-air trades and a couple at a Texas yard sale about 11 years back. I'd love a box set with the lot.

Looking through that list I can see an awful lot of them were shown by RTE in the 80s in I think the movie slot after The Late Late.The Girl Most Likely To Be... was one I remember straight off and quite a few others ring a bell.They weren't half bad for made for TV movies which in my experience are often dire.

Looking through that list I can see an awful lot of them were shown by RTE in the 80s in I think the movie slot after The Late Late.The Girl Most Likely To Be... was one I remember straight off and quite a few others ring a bell.They weren't half bad for made for TV movies which in my experience are often dire.

That's right. Friday nights until about 1.00am or so. Usually two commercial breaks. The Girl Most Likely To is great and was written by Joan Rivers. Stockard Channing's finest role. That one got a region 1 DVD release a few years ago.

The US TVMs from that era were very strong. Very little padding and good storylines. The running times were usually capped at 75 minutes. You'll see a whole host of familiar faces.

Cry Panic from 1974 is exceptionally strong. Stars John Forsythe.
    TG4 showed a bunch of them in 2001/2002/2003 - usually during the day.

Another classic that isn't on that list but is definitely one of the greatest is One Of My Wives Is Missing starring Jack Klugman. 1976. Twist-o-rama.
    It was remade in 1986 with Elliott Gould and Margot Kidder as Vanishing Act. Also broadcast by RTE in the late 1980s.

Trailer - the whole film is there too

Satan's Triangle from 1975 and starring Kim Novak got an airing on RTE 1 in June 1985. There's a great twist in that one and it seems that a lot of people watched the broadcast. When I went to college a few years later and got talking to people about horror films from our youth, quite a few had seen Satan's Triangle that particular night. All secondary schools had finished for summer holidays on that Friday so at lot of teenagers were making the most of it and staying up later than normal.

And if anyone has a spare 70 minutes have a look at this episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense from 1984. It's called In Possession and was broadcast by RTE1 after the Late Late Show in September 1984. Creepy with many turns.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

90s Aussie movie about these two layabouts who mug charity collectors and might have been junkies,one of them was a complete scummer and the other guy a bit smarter.The scummer guy wore at shirt with a rude slogan which was some variation on up yours.I remember it featured really annoying jump editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

90s Aussie movie about these two layabouts who mug charity collectors and might have been junkies,one of them was a complete scummer and the other guy a bit smarter.The scummer guy wore at shirt with a rude slogan which was some variation on up yours.I remember it featured really annoying jump editing.

Idiot Box

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiEqxTaFBoPLMs8hz0attoXCgzO-HYyr_jYhvWYVjRcWEpbdeR ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

brian_t wrote: »

That's it,I remember it was marketed as a kind of Aussie Trainspotting but I thought it was crap.Get a dog up ya,is that an Aussie saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Film set in New York about youngish guys ages ~ 18 to 23. I think they were Italian heritage.

- I think at the end of the film guy wakes up after sleeping/passing out and walks away.

any ideas?

Thanks.

Kids perhaps?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/

any ideas?

Thanks.

I do remember a 90s movie where a bunch of young guys stage a fight on a subway train but these guys were all black.I think they were actors and were trying to publicise a play they were in or something.The people on the train all react with fear but then the guys come out of character and take a bow(I think,very sketchy on the details).It deffo wasen't the Larry Clarke movie Kids as suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I do remember a 90s movie where a bunch of young guys stage a fight on a subway train but these guys were all black.I think they were actors and were trying to publicise a play they were in or something.The people on the train all react with fear but then the guys come out of character and take a bow(I think,very sketchy on the details).It deffo wasen't the Larry Clarke movie Kids as suggested above.

Nearly 100% sure it's Hangin' with the Homeboys. I remember it being alright at the time but it's been over twenty years since I've seen it so it could have aged terribly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101998/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1

Nearly 100% sure it's Hangin' with the Homeboys. I remember it being alright at the time but it's been over twenty years since I've seen it so it could have aged terribly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101998/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_lk1

Yep thats it alright.The subway scene is at the start of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ok folks, I tried googling but to no avail.

Recent film about a despicable mid 30's guy who is heir to a big fortune. Set in NYC, he hipsters the **** out of life, but only to take the piss out of real hipsters.

The opening scene is him and his mates pouring beer on their fat naked bodies. There is also a scene where he brings a girl he likes back to his boat and she has an elliptic fit which he watches whilst sipping his wine.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Thanks guys. That's definitely the film I was thinking of, characters are a bit older and different than I remember...

Ok folks, I tried googling but to no avail.

Recent film about a despicable mid 30's guy who is heir to a big fortune. Set in NYC, he hipsters the **** out of life, but only to take the piss out of real hipsters.

The opening scene is him and his mates pouring beer on their fat naked bodies. There is also a scene where he brings a girl he likes back to his boat and she has an elliptic fit which he watches whilst sipping his wine.

Any ideas?

Sounds like The Comedy

I diden't see this movie in full but saw a clip of it on the MTV movie review show around 1991/92.It was an American indie film and the clip was set in either a high school or college class.The male teacher seemed to be having some kind of crisis or breakdown and I think he was just standing there while the pupils were all messing and playacting.This one guy in the class who I remember had glasses and was kind of nerdy looking goes up to the teacher and shouts into his face something like "for Gods sake teach us" and I think he(the pupil) might have then punched him or kicked him in the balls or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No wasn't that.The setting was more white middle class from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AmberBlaze

Hey, any help would be greatly appreciated here. I saw this movie when I was in the 4-5 grade I believe which would be around 2005-2006 ish? The movie was actually shown in school but the scenes I remember have bothered me for a long time. I can't remember if this older lady had ordered the boy or it was an accident he was sent to her but she opened this big metal barrel and there was a boy sitting inside. I can't remember clearly but I think he was slimy or not quite responsive yet? Almost like he was "Just Born".... not like he was a regular kid locked in the barrel. I believe she taught him everything he needed to know and in the end the government tried to take him back but she got to keep him? If anyone could help it would be great because I would like to watch it again and try to understand why they showed it to us at 8-9 years old :/ it seems weird now and slightly disturbing.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AmberBlaze

Hey, any help would be greatly appreciated here. I saw this movie when I was in the 4-5 grade I believe which would be around 2005-2006 ish? The movie was actually shown in school but the scenes I remember have bothered me for a long time. I can't remember if this older lady had ordered the boy or it was an accident he was sent to her but she opened this big metal barrel and there was a boy sitting inside. I can't remember clearly but I think he was slimy or not quite responsive yet? Almost like he was "Just Born".... not like he was a regular kid locked in the barrel. I believe she taught him everything he needed to know and in the end the government tried to take him back but she got to keep him? If anyone could help it would be great because I would like to watch it again and try to understand why they showed it to us at 10ish years old :/ it seems weird now and slightly disturbing.....

Advertisement