Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

A Hong Kong movie about a good police detective who arrests a major criminal but something goes wrong in the investigation or court case. He gets demoted to uniform and is made the leader of a first response team. They travel around in a van dealing with everything from domestic abuse to robberies.

The team is an uptight, by the book type with a criminal brother, a old guy about to retire, a female officer called Apple who was raised in Canada and a rookie officer (I think).

The majority of the film takes over the course their first day together and there is a big chase sequence after an Interpol official is murdered in a restaurant. The movie ends with a gunfight on a military base against the same major criminal from the beginning of the movie.

I've searched for the name loads of times on Google. TG4 repeated it several times when they used to show Hong Kong movies on a Friday night a few years back.

siblers wrote: »
    I don't know if this is from a film or a tv series, it was from 4/5 years ago and I have a very vague memory of it.

The film or tv show would have been a darkish comedy

There's a scene set in an American suburb where a kid is acting the bollocks and this older guy (I think in his 30s or 40s) goes over to him and punches him.

I remember at the time I found it hilarious but have no idea what it's from, I know that it's very vague

I thought initially it was Eastbound And Down but it doesn't appear to be.

I think Optimus Prime is correct.

Ferrell and Reilly are bullied by neighbourhood kids a few times and one of them does punch the ringleader. Then there is the brawl at the very end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Actually thinking about it more it could also be Due Date where Robert Downey Junior punches the blonde kid in the stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A Hong Kong movie about a good police detective who arrests a major criminal but something goes wrong in the investigation or court case. He gets demoted to uniform and is made the leader of a first response team. They travel around in a van dealing with everything from domestic abuse to robberies.

The team is an uptight, by the book type with a criminal brother, a old guy about to retire, a female officer called Apple who was raised in Canada and a rookie officer (I think).

The majority of the film takes over the course their first day together and there is a big chase sequence after an Interpol official is murdered in a restaurant. The movie ends with a gunfight on a military base against the same major criminal from the beginning of the movie.

I've searched for the name loads of times on Google. TG4 repeated it several times when they used to show Hong Kong movies on a Friday night a few years back.

Big Bullett ?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126839/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Actually thinking about it more it could also be Due Date where Robert Downey Junior punches the blonde kid in the stomach.

It's not Step Brothers or Due Date, I'm fairly certain it was from a tv show, it'll come to me eventually :pac:

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »

That is it :)

That had been wrecking my head for a while now so thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I think this is an oldish film. Set in America and black and white I think. It is set during a time of national crisis possibly the great depression. The plot centres around a father and young daughter. The father believes his family is dead and goes traveling around america. The daughter (possibly around 12 years old) goes in search of him. The one scene that stands out in my mind is when the father takes a job cutting down Redwoods. It is known as widowers work and he has to climb halfway up the tree and cut off the top half with an axe.
    Ring any bells?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Yester wrote: »
    I think this is an oldish film. Set in America and black and white I think. It is set during a time of national crisis possibly the great depression. The plot centres around a father and young daughter. The father believes his family is dead and goes traveling around america. The daughter (possibly around 12 years old) goes in search of him. The one scene that stands out in my mind is when the father takes a job cutting down Redwoods. It is known as widowers work and he has to climb halfway up the tree and cut off the top half with an axe.
    Ring any bells?

The Journey of Natty Gann? Made in the 80's but set during the Depression era in the 30's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Journey_of_Natty_Gann

The Journey of Natty Gann? Made in the 80's but set during the Depression era in the 30's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Journey_of_Natty_Gann

That's the one. Cheers.

Ok this might be a tough one as my memory is hazy and might have melded two films into one. It was about the subculture of fandom. I'm thinking it was in the 80s. The main character was a charismatic actress who was obsessed with famous people and would do anything to get an autograph or a lock of hair or anything she could get. I remember her being particularly taken by Princess Diana. There was a group around her that were all into the same thing. I'm not sure if they used to sell autographs etc or just held them in high regard.

This is where it splits into possibly a different film. Same premise but this time the focus is the Beatles. I remember one scene where she broke into the hotel where the Beatles were staying with a view to steal their bedsheets. The Beatles return while she is still in the room so she hides under the bed. I think she passes out when one of them takes his pants off.

I can see how both scenarios could work within the same film but I'm not sure.

Ring any bells?

• Advertisement

The beatles part sounds like i want to hold your hand, its from the 70s though, could actually all be the same film..

I want to hold your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

possibly a film from the 70's or 80's that was like the Count of Monte Cristo and set around the same time
    The only scene I remember is that the protagonist was locked in a cell with about 9 doors between him and freedom
    Someone smuggled a knife into his bread I think and he spends the night cutting away at the doors until he gets to the last one and he is too exhausted and the guards find him there the next morning

The beatles part sounds like i want to hold your hand, its from the 70s though, could actually all be the same film..

I want to hold your hand

I'd say they're two different films. Beatles part is almost certainly from I Wanna Hold Your Hand but that can't be the Princess Di one seeing as she only became famous when she married Charles in 1981 and IWHYH was made in 1978 and is set in 1964.

I'd say they're two different films. Beatles part is almost certainly from I Wanna Hold Your Hand but that can't be the Princess Di one seeing as she only became famous when she married Charles in 1981 and IWHYH was made in 1978 and is set in 1964.

Great point on it being before Di's time, forgot about that!

Thanks. The beatles scene I was thinking of is from I want to hold your hand so I have mixed up two films. Unfortunately I can't think of any more information about the Diana film beyond a group of hardcore fans and an engaging lead actress. It may have had an indie feel to it and it may have included the time of Dianas death. Ah well, I'm sure it will turn up someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Yester wrote: »
    Thanks. The beatles scene I was thinking of is from I want to hold your hand so I have mixed up two films. Unfortunately I can't think of any more information about the Diana film beyond a group of hardcore fans and an engaging lead actress. It may have had an indie feel to it and it may have included the time of Dianas death. Ah well, I'm sure it will turn up someday.

Is this it?

Diana & Me
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118974/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just wondering, what movie or tv series was it that started the whole freeze frame/baba o'riley/"you're probably wondering how I ended up here" thing that I've seen parodied in shows like Robot Chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/5cvpvd/what_movie_does_this_robot_chicken_clip_reference/

as set out in the link it is not anyone movie

Certainly I think of the Dukes of Hazard using the freeze frame as a standard item

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was the Robot Chicken sketch that made me think of it but was sure I had seen it in a movie a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It was the Robot Chicken sketch that made me think of it but was sure I had seen it in a movie a while back.

Deadpool did it but I think it was reflecting the meme rather than what created it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Can anyone think of a film by this description ? :

Now I only remember it very vaguely since it's near 20 years when I saw it on telly. I'm certain it's from the 90's

Setting : town in rural America. Could well be Colorado. I think it may have been a mountain town.
    Gets taken over by these like superior malevolent species of human being or something to that effect.
    Theres a scene where the whole town are gathered in a building at night during heavy snowstorm. (I think).

That's all I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Now I only remember it very vaguely since it's near 20 years when I saw it on telly. I'm certain it's from the 90's

Setting : town in rural America. Could well be Colorado. I think it may have been a mountain town.
    Gets taken over by these like superior malevolent species of human being or something to that effect.
    Theres a scene where the whole town are gathered in a building at night during heavy snowstorm. (I think).

Set in Alaska but sounds similar

30 Days of Night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Phantoms?

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms yo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

nix wrote: »
    Phantoms?

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms yo! :pac:

Literally only liked it for that quote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mdgo

so i have this movie thats been bugging me for ages... i only remember that one scene where a girl asks some guy to take a nude picture of her in front of library or something. now i'm pretty sure it's set in some icy north american suburb, and the whole thing has this late 80's-early 90's indie vibe. i think i caught it on tv like 15 years ago so it wouldn't be from recent years...
    also, it's possible that there's another scene where some dudes are playing scrabble lol.

anyway it's a long shot but would appreciate your help!

mdgo wrote: »
    so i have this movie thats been bugging me for ages... i only remember that one scene where a girl asks some guy to take a nude picture of her in front of library or something. now i'm pretty sure it's set in some icy north american suburb, and the whole thing has this late 80's-early 90's indie vibe. i think i caught it on tv like 15 years ago so it wouldn't be from recent years...
    also, it's possible that there's another scene where some dudes are playing scrabble lol.

Could it be the Ice Storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mdgo

mdgo wrote: »

Could it be the Ice Storm?
    thanks but nope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

A TV series I think from the very early 70s, I remember snatches of it as a young child. It's about a gang who plan and stage a robbery (probably of a bank). It's successful and they escape with the loot; in the getaway car one of the crooks in the back seat is dividing up the money and putting the driver's share in a bag beside him, (for some reason I can remember the line something like "10 for me, 10 for you and 10 for Jimmy"). However the driver turns out to be an undercover cop who's infiltrated the gang. The episode/series climaxes on a beach where the gang are pursued and arrested; there they realize that the driver is a cop.

I'm fairly sure it was a series rather than a movie or TVM, and it may have been called something like 'Romano' or 'Tomano'. Any ideas?

I know its not this, but it sounds like a few scenes from the movie Point Break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MfMan wrote: »
    A TV series I think from the very early 70s, I remember snatches of it as a young child. It's about a gang who plan and stage a robbery (probably of a bank). It's successful and they escape with the loot; in the getaway car one of the crooks in the back seat is dividing up the money and putting the driver's share in a bag beside him, (for some reason I can remember the line something like "10 for me, 10 for you and 10 for Jimmy"). However the driver turns out to be an undercover cop who's infiltrated the gang. The episode/series climaxes on a beach where the gang are pursued and arrested; there they realize that the driver is a cop.

I'm fairly sure it was a series rather than a movie or TVM, and it may have been called something like 'Romano' or 'Tomano'. Any ideas?

Sounds like an episode of TJ Hooker.

Advertisement