Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Only played a little bit for the first time at the weekend and enjoyed it. Evil Ryu is quite cool - I like the similarities with Akuma - and the axe kick has a great animation. Oni seems a bit of fun. Air Dash is class and it's quite satisfying to win a round with the attack it outputs...Looking forward to using it a lot online to escape wake up DPs!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

How much yuns and yangs have you guys actually run into, I use yang myself and in around 30 matches I have run into 1 yang 2 yuns and around 20 evil ryus.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

I'd say out of every 10 matches I play, 5 or 6 of them are against one of the twins. To start with I was fighting more Yuns but today and yesterday it's been more Yangs.

For Rose, as long as you don't let him too close he's not too bad of a match up. Just pre-empt his dive kick jumps with an early jump fierce and send him back to the ground. Careful backdashing is also key for Rose in this match up. Too much and you'll be lunge punched to death. Not enough and the little turd will be on you like a rash.

Standing jabs also negate or stuff his dive kicks too. He's not as big of a threat as I was expecting. Just as long as he doesn't get close that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm really loving Oni. He may actually be a contender to replace Rose - I just have to kick this DPing all the time habit. It's far too dangerous with Oni if they block since he can't focus cancel out of it.
    Versus the twins Oni is great for punishing meter building palm abuse, but his normals are so slow it's a nightmare once they get in - as seems to be the case with everyone. At least Oni's air dash is dead handy for escaping once you get any opening.

As for meeting people online, out of the new ones I've met around the following:
    1 Evil Ryu
    2-3 Oni
    3-4 Yun
    6-7 Yang

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

50% of my ranked matches are against E. Ryu. Virtually no Ryu now though. Don't think I have played a single Akuma either.

• Advertisement

I don't get why all the Ryu players have flocked to E.Ryu he just seems worse then normal Ryu to me.

probably just wanting to try out one of the new characters and thought the jump from ryu to e.ryu wouldn't be very big.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

eco2live wrote: »
    I am on PS3 and there is loads of games. Start an arcade game and loads of people will join in. Start a custom game and change the region to any then select a good connection. I don't get many from Ireland on PS3 but loads from the UK.

If you want to add me my tag is plumpynuter

I find it hard to find many matches on PS3 and no one i played used any of the new guys haha Im OniKen606 if you want to fight

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    I don't get why all the Ryu players have flocked to E.Ryu he just seems worse then normal Ryu to me.

Most people don't look at fighting games we do. He's Ryu, but on fire. That's enough reason for me to try him to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Most people don't look at fighting games we do. He's Ryu, but on fire. That's enough reason for me to try him to be honest!

Sold me too :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

liamnojo92 wrote: »

I know, Ive just had a look at my battle log and out of my last 30 ranked matches Ive fought

10 Evil Ryu's
    9 Yun's
    4 Yangs
    2 Bisons
    1 Balrog
    1 Regular Ryu (thats pretty insane for online imo)
    1 Ken (pretty insane to)
    1 Cody
    1 Gief

Normal Ryu got nerfed pretty bad, John Choi has switched to Ken and Alex Valle said he may be dropping him as well, probably still better then Evil Ryu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Haven't played AE a lot during the week but played loads today

Maining Yun but use some Yang in between for a change of pace

Don't run into too many Twins at all actually, seems to have weened out and only the serious ones are left.

Matchup wise, Sagat is very difficult for the twins, also grapplers (Honda, Gief and Hawk) are nightmares. Good shotos are hard to get in on but seems like a 5-5 to me

Double perfected a Vega on ranked, was awesome. Yun felt sluggish at first to me but getting used to him. Spacing dive kicks and proper pressure takes some careful planning. I don't think he's "braindead" at all and generally despise that word anyway. Once you get locked down it's a bitch to get out of, good players absolutely owned me in corner when I was pinned. That's their Achilles heel

Guile/Deejay looks like another matchup where Yun has trouble getting in, fu doom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ramza wrote: »
    Guile/Deejay looks like another matchup where Yun has trouble getting in, fu doom

Turtle and do palm until you have meter, Yun can ex shoulder normal Guile booms on reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I don't know if you all seen this but it lists all the changes in AE. Nice simple layout.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/6/6/super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-character-change-notes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

are those changes definite ? from the developers? im noticing other small things, could be a placebo effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

They seem to be reposts of the stuff that was released during so some of it may have changed.

There's also other stuff because I know that Chuns sweep has dropped to 100 stun. st.RH seems to have a quicker startup and EX SBK seems to spin quicker. I think that could be just placebo because I haven't seen anything about either and I haven't tried testing.

I wonder if Guiles normals have increased meter gain. I'm not feeling low on meter at all, and I notice there:

Sonic Boom's meter gain at start-up is halved, and we adjusted his meter gaining rate through the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Probably gave him more meter gain after they gave him that awesome counter hit whenever a sonic boom is on the screen. That's hilarious, all fireball characters should have that (except for those with dissipating fireballs).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Orim wrote: »
    Probably gave him more meter gain after they gave him that awesome counter hit whenever a sonic boom is on the screen. That's hilarious, all fireball characters should have that (except for those with dissipating fireballs).

The counterhit only happens if he gets hit during the sonic boom startup/recovery animation.

I read ryus mp.srk has an extra frame of invincibility, that was just some random guy saying it though might be inclined to believe it if it turned out there were some other unannounced changes. Won't make much of a difference as ryu will not be seen or heard from again.

Anyone got a reliable way to stuff dive kicks with Fei Long? Got mauled by the best Yun I've played last night. Trying to get the little pr**k off ya is a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

mackg wrote: »
    Anyone got a reliable way to stuff dive kicks with Fei Long? Got mauled by the best Yun I've played last night. Trying to get the little pr**k off ya is a nightmare.

Watching the Revelations stream the other day, Mago was using Fei's standing jabs to keep off the dive kicks. He just spammed them periodically when it looked like Daigo was going to start diving.
    Those dive kicks have a massive hurt box, so anything fast will usually knock them back.

Sairus wrote: »
    Watching the Revelations stream the other day, Mago was using Fei's standing jabs to keep off the dive kicks. He just spammed them periodically when it looked like Daigo was going to start diving.
    Those dive kicks have a massive hurt box, so anything fast will usually knock them back.

Looking for the video last night but not on YT yet. Following mago on the replay channel as well should be some valuable info to be garnered from that.

mackg wrote: »
    Looking for the video last night but not on YT yet. Following mago on the replay channel as well should be some valuable info to be garnered from that.
    www.justin.tv/leveluplive and go into the archive and the match should be there at the end of the revelations broadcast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have to say, the ability to follow 5 players and save all their replays was worth the 1200ms points by itself.

I have to say, the ability to follow 5 players and save all their replays was worth the 1200ms points by itself.

Yeah for matchups and stuff its invaluable, especially for newer players like me see what the pros do then figure out why they do it, help to increase my understanding of characters and matchups. Then start to come up with my own stuff as my knowledge improves. By SF5 I should be half decent.

For all my moaning, I kinda feel like I've rediscovered SF all over again with AE. Learning characters is fun again.

I think it's because I have a healthier attitude towards the training room, perhaps with the slightly higher level of execution I'm capable of the whole thing is a slightly less frustrating experience. I'd say I'm spending time 50/50 fighting and training room whereas it used to be 90/10.

Couple of thoughts on AE.

It would have been a nice finish to SSF4 if all costumes that was ever released for SF4 where included in AE. Everyone would have all of them then. Even if it cost €20 for AE and the costumes. A background per character would also be great and would really have freshened it up. They are probably making a mint on the costumes so I can understand why they did not.

BTW, Evil versions of existing characters are just lazy. Couple of other top tier brand new ones would have been better. They have a huge back catalog of characters they could have choose.

The online is great and worth it for that alone if you are still enjoying it . Its kind of nice to know that it is done and finished and there won't be further changes.

All in all it is probably the most complete fighting game ever at this stage but I am a still bit bored with it. If I had the time to put into getting really good and competitive then I am sure I would feel different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

eco2live wrote: »
    Couple of other top tier brand new ones would have been better.

The twins??

Sagat06 wrote: »
    The twins??

Yea I meant other 2 like the twins. They are a great addition and playing them with all the characters is tough but refreshing. The evil ones not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

To be fair I've been playing oni a bit and he is no standard shoto

Advertisement