Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

ozmo wrote: »
    ...but...yet we can see AnPost were in the competition to design the new postcodes- but their design lost- I was wondering what system they were proposing.

Whatever it was I'm sure that there would be endless complaints here due to it not being the loc8 code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

yuloni wrote: »
    At least if An Post's submission did won, they would not have their shareholders desperately trolling on a public forum - unlike the Tico/Capita/Strand cronies

For the record I don't personally like the Eircode, I don't think its the best solution for Ireland and many of the suggested codes here would be better

My argument is that it is finalized now, it's workable and is far better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

tvc15 wrote: »
    For the record I don't personally like the Eircode, I don't think its the best solution for Ireland and many of the suggested codes here would be better

My argument is that it is finalized now, it's workable and is far better than nothing

Better than nothing?
    Isn't that really the story of Ireland?
    Our squabbling Chieftains have let us down again!
    Just like 1169...the local baldies were so busy fighting over a comb that they had to invite in a foreigner to do what they should have been well able to do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

1169?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

[/U][/I][/B]

Better than nothing?
    Isn't that really the story of Ireland?
    Our squabbling Chieftains have let us down again!
    Just like 1169...the local baldies were so busy fighting over a comb that they had to invite in a foreigner to do what they should have been well able to do themselves.

I think the squabbling Chieftains are the ones posting here that didn't get the contract and now want to derail Eirecode.

Anyone know if the Garda will have access to the database? It would be nice to engrave my shiney new unique postcode when I get it on my more expensive tools so there is a better chance of recovering them. A chainsaw I postcoded in the UK was returned a year after it was stolen because it was found in a road side search of a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

my3cents wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Garda will have access to the database? It would be nice to engrave my shiney new unique postcode when I get it on my more expensive tools stuff so there is a better chance of recovering them. A chainsaw I postcoded in the UK was returned a year after it was stolen because it was found in a road side search of a vehicle.

I would imagine so, They have stated that all state databases will be encoded before launch, i have to assume that includes the emergency services too (despite the claims they are trying to disassociate themselves from it, as its still listed on the eircode website as a sector who will use it)

ukoda wrote: »
    I would imagine so, They have stated that all state databases will be encoded before launch, i have to assume that includes the emergency services too (despite the claims they are trying to disassociate themselves from it, as its still listed on the eircode website as a sector who will use it)

The main point really is that the code format needs to be well enough know for a Guard to instantly recognize it. No one is going to be looking anything up unless that happens. I know in the UK the police see loads of stuff they know is stolen but it if they can't trace the previous owner the crooks keep it.

Postcoding valuables would be a good way to promote the new code.

The main point really is that the code format needs to be well enough know for a Guard to instantly recognize it. No one is going to be looking anything up unless that happens. I know in the UK the police see loads of stuff they know is stolen but it if they can't trace the previous owner the crooks keep it.

probably won't have any official "to how use postcodes to fight crime" training or initiatives, but you'd imagine that if their Database is encoded they will be asking for eircodes on a regular bases for taking details when they pull people over and other such things, so they should be used to seeing them and would hopefully recognise them on stolen property

• Advertisement

I think the squabbling Chieftains are the ones posting here that didn't get the contract and now want to derail Eirecode.

Or the many bag-men for Eirecode...although in fairness, they all sing from a remarkably similar hymn sheet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

ust like 1169...the local baldies were so busy fighting over a comb that they had to invite in a foreigner to do what they should have been well able to do themselves.

I don't think Tigernán Mór Ua Ruairc had much interest in combs more like punishing the man (Diarmait Mac Murchada) who had cuckold him.

dubhthach wrote: »
    I don't think Tigernán Mór Ua Ruairc had much interest in combs more like punishing the man (Diarmait Mac Murchada) who had cuckold him.

My point is that their own selfish interests took precedence and 300 Normans waltzed in behind their backs and took over the whole caboodle.
    And some of that shower of wasters would, to this day, like to be referred to as :
    THE O'Rahilly... or ... whatever.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

My point is that their own selfish interests took precedence and 300 Normans waltzed in behind their backs and took over the whole caboodle.
    And some of that shower of wasters would, to this day, like to be referred to as :
    THE O'Rahilly... or ... whatever.:(

Not really tbh, if Diarmait hadn't had done the disservice of dying (After the execution of his son broke his heart) it's probable that Henry II would never have gotten involved in the whole event. Either way the Cambro-normans never got the whole caboodle, ye had to wait another 400+ years for that to happen.

Tbh 12th century Ireland was the process of centralisation and was shaping up to basically fall into standard European model for the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It might be alright.
    On the other hand, you could get some lads rocking up to your house in a van, to see what other similar goodies you have there. This is where people need to think carefully about their own privacy and data protection issues. As mentioned before, one of the snags with eircode is that it identifies the exact house, or else nothing at all. There is no option for the user to give a "rough area" version of the code.

recedite wrote: »
    It might be alright.
    On the other hand, you could get some lads rocking up to your house in a van, to see what other similar goodies you have there. This is where people need to think carefully about their own privacy and data protection issues. As mentioned before, one of the snags with eircode is that it identifies the exact house, or else nothing at all. There is no option for the user to give a "rough area" version of the code.
    If they've just robbed your house, they'll already have had a good root around and won't need to come back for another look after seeing the postcode on stuff. They already know where the house is and what's in it! :rolleyes:

If you're worried about stuff being passed between "fences" and another crook seeing the code, then just put something like the insurance policy number or the like on it instead!

I've no problem putting an obvious postcode on tools I use. I also do the same under the hood so a chainsaw would have an obvious postcode burnt into the plastic housing and then also on the flywheel and somewhere on the cylinder.

The traditional and less effective but not so obvious way of marking household items with a postcode is with a security pen that can only be read under ultraviolet light.

Crooks get to keep loads of stuff they have stolen because the Guards can't find the owners so can't prove its been stolen.

Any fence seeing an obvious postcode is more likely to say don't bring me stuff from there again because its readily identifiable and its value is reduced.

If you're worried about stuff being passed between "fences" and another crook seeing the code, then just put something like the insurance policy number or the like on it instead!
    But if stuff is being sold down in the market, lots of unsavoury characters get to handle it and look at it.
    What good is an insurance number? They won't be claiming from your insurance. I sometimes engrave a mobile phone number on stuff. Then the "finder" has an option to phone you and ask for a reward. I've heard of a guy who got some tools back this way. The robber openly admitted to stealing them, but negotiated a ransom. If the robbers don't want to do that, they can just file off the number. Anyway, I woudn't want directions to my house going around with the stolen items.
    I've no problem putting an obvious postcode on tools I use...
    So you say you got a chainsaw back after putting a UK postcode on it. But a UK postcode cannot lead the police to an exact address. So you got it back because of some other reason; I'm guessing there was some thorough policing work involved, and you had also left your name, address and a description of the chainsaw with the police after it was stolen?

But if stuff is being sold down in the market, lots of unsavoury characters get to handle it and look at it.

There are not many crooks who are so dumb as to try to sell marked goods on the open market.

As for the UK post code, all it needs is the house number in front of it for an exact address.

It doesn't even need a house number, if there is a crime report filed then there is an address that has a postcode listed with the missing item. One call on the radio is all it should take to get that information.

• Advertisement

It doesn't even need a house number, if there is a crime report filed then there is an address that has a postcode listed with the missing item. One call on the radio is all it should take to get that information.
    True, but I was responding to the other poster's assertion that the post code wasn't sufficient to identify the exact address.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A set of initials would work just as well. All you need to identify the goods as yours is a mark that can be identified. iPhones are stolen even though they have a serial number that Apple can identify.

SamR D4

True, but I was responding to the other poster's assertion that the post code wasn't sufficient to identify the exact address.

Sorry I had a longer reply to the previous post then just edited it down to cover the need or otherwise for a number.

A set of initials would work just as well. All you need to identify the goods as yours is a mark that can be identified. iPhones are stolen even though they have a serial number that Apple can identify.

SamR D4

Use whatever system you like but an Eirecode should become instantly recognisable and I would have thought that any crime records the guards keep would include the Eirecode as part of the address of the person who had stuff stolen.

In my chainsaw example the police had the serial number but they said it was the postcode that alerted them and I doubt they would have bothered checking a serial number with or without a postcode.

It might be alright.

not to be pedantic or anything, but you miss-quoted me above in this post, it was my3cents who said "Postcoding valuables would be a good way to promote the new code" i think you quoted me quoting him :)

Anyway as others have said, if the house has already been robbed and items show up with the postcode on them on the blackmarket, its unlikely a criminal will look at at it and say 'lets rob them again'

and sure by your argument on here, recedite, they won't be able to look up the postcode anyway....unless they pay the database fee :D:D:D:D

Well there you go, you gave the police your full name and address when reporting the crime. That's how you got it back. The UK postcode engraved on the chainsaw was a help in identifying roughly where you lived, but it did not disclose your exact address to all and sundry. Eircode is different, it can't do that.
    not to be pedantic or anything, but you miss-quoted me above in this post...Anyway as others have said, if the house has already been robbed and items show up with the postcode on them on the blackmarket, its unlikely a criminal will look at at it and say 'lets rob them again'
    Apologies for attributing another quote to you.
    Anyway, I was saying that as the stolen goods move through the criminal network, anyone can make a note of the exact address, not just the original robber. A mobile phone number or a serial number would seem to be the safer ID mark.

Well there you go, you gave the police your full name and address when reporting the crime. That's how you got it back. The UK postcode engraved on the chainsaw was a help in identifying roughly where you lived, but it did not disclose your exact address to all and sundry. Eircode is different, it can't do that.

Apologies for attributing another quote to you.
    Anyway, I was saying that as the stolen goods move through the criminal network, anyone can make a note of the exact address, not just the original robber. A mobile phone number or a serial number would seem to be the safer ID mark.

What about the fact that the police recognised the postcode and then checked the crime reports don't you want to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

What about the fact that the police recognised the postcode and then checked the crime reports don't you want to understand.

exactly what recedite said...

eg. what would you rather engrave on your BMW car key fob should you loose it (fob is hundreds to replace so worthwhile doing this)

1) A phone number (a promise of reward for finder)
    2) A UK style (partial) post code (police could track it from their incident database)
    3) Your Eircode Routing code (3 digits - Im somewhere in D2 - useless to everyone)
    4) Your full Eircode - leading a burglar to your house to collect the car

UK postcode and phone number wins - Eircode not suitable for marking your valuables.

(ps. I dont own a bmw myself)

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think a set of car keys was ever a realistic suggestion for something you'd identifiably tag anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't think a set of car keys was ever a realistic suggestion for something you'd identifiably tag anyway...
    No, and anybody with a remote keyfob with a UK postcode on it would have little difficulty locating the car and house in question anyway. Just walk up the street, hit the button and wait for the hazard lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement