Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Jev/N wrote: »
    For Sky Player generally or on Xbox 360 (which I doubt)?

It's already available here on the web

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ud3MAtx0IA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the issue i see is for that price you can get a true multi room sub, get a second sky box and have all the channels your sub carries...not just the few that are on this, why not jsut get a second sky box instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ok, I've got a Sky subscription with all the movie and sports channels and Sky multiroom.
    Do I have to pay for anything extra to get this service on my 360?

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwG2sDrKP4&NR=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gameeeze

if you do not already have sky is it possible to get this through xbox live connection and not need a dish on a pay per view basis? ie if there is a game on the weekend u wanna see then u pay 5 euro to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

At first i was thinking this was a good idea i was expecting maybe a fee for non subscribers to be around the 5-10 euro a month mark. But now i read its 18 euro a month on top of your Gold membership of 7 a month. ( i know these can be gotten cheaper ) So thats 25 euro a month for these rubbish channels

G.O.L.D. (occasional good show)
    Sky Real Lives (rubbish)
    Sky Arts 1 (rubbish)
    MTV ONE (total garbage)
    Sky Sports News (free anyway)
    British Eurosport (free anyway)
    ESPN Classic (free anyway)
    Sky News (free anyway)
    National Geographic (free anyway)
    Nat Geo Wild (free anyway)
    History (free anyway)
    Eden ????
    Cartoon Network kids
    Boomerang kids
    Nickelodeon kids
    Disney Channel kids
    Nick Jr kids
    Thats a load of freeview channels they will charge you for.

TV on demand then if you are not a subscriber you will have to pay for those shows too.
    The only one thats free is the BBC iplayer thats free anyway and not even available here !!!!

Basically its yet another thing that xbox users have to pay for that PS3 users get for free :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ok, I've got a Sky subscription with all the movie and sports channels and Sky multiroom.
    Do I have to pay for anything extra to get this service on my 360?

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwG2sDrKP4&NR=1

Why would you want it on your 360 then ?

I've multiroom too, in fact my skybox sits on top of my xbox.

But I don't see any reason why I'd then want to go and get Sky on the xbox with me already having the proper thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Gameeeze wrote: »
    if you do not already have sky is it possible to get this through xbox live connection and not need a dish on a pay per view basis? ie if there is a game on the weekend u wanna see then u pay 5 euro to watch.

nope, have to pay €18 a month apparently.
    mossym wrote: »
    the issue i see is for that price you can get a true multi room sub, get a second sky box and have all the channels your sub carries...not just the few that are on this, why not jsut get a second sky box instead?

€100 installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gameeeze

and are for eg premier league games do u pay more or do u have to pay more for sky sports this is all i would want it for i already have those free channels. WOuld be way better on a game by game on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bucks73 seems to be the valiant defender of the service on here. With good reason too, I think a lot of people have mis-interpreted what's on offer here and have believed a lot of wishful speculation. It's not Sky or Microsoft's fault that they're not offering everything for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Why would you want it on your 360 then ?

I've multiroom too, in fact my skybox sits on top of my xbox.

But I don't see any reason why I'd then want to go and get Sky on the xbox with me already having the proper thing

I've only got Sky downstairs in two rooms but I'd like it for my bedroom.

• Advertisement

The only one thats free is the BBC iplayer thats free anyway and not even available here !!!!

Basically its yet another thing that xbox users have to pay for that PS3 users get for free :mad:

PS3 users in Ireland dont get the BBC iPlayer. Its only available in the UK.

And you are not paying MS for the Sky Player if you decide to take a sub, youre paying Sky so it has nothing to do with being free on PS3 and paying for it on Xbox.

AdMMM wrote: »
    bucks73 seems to be the valiant defender of the service on here. With good reason too, I think a lot of people have mis-interpreted what's on offer here and have believed a lot of wishful speculation. It's not Sky or Microsoft's fault that they're not offering everything for free!

Its not even that Im a defender of it, Im just being realistic. This was never going to be a full blown Sky service. From the very first mention of this it had been stated that this would be the Sky Player coming to the Xbox. Exactly what the Sky Player offers via the web. They have added the option to take out subs via the Xbox but its nowhere near the full service I already have via satellite.

In truth it has nothing to do with MS as this is a Sky service and it is them you will be paying for it. And Sky certainly were not going to offer a service comparable to or undercutting its satellite service. That wouldnt make any business sense.

As I said previously I think I will make use of the On Demand features but certainly wont be paying them a penny. Sky make enough money off me as it is.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

bucks73 wrote: »
    PS3 users in Ireland dont get the BBC iPlayer. Its only available in the UK.

And you are not paying MS for the Sky Player if you decide to take a sub, youre paying Sky so it has nothing to do with being free on PS3 and paying for it on Xbox.

Thats what i said the only free TV on demand service on this sky player is the BBC i player that isnt availible here anyway.

You are paying MS for your gold subscription if you dont have a gold subscription you cant get sky player, there for its yet another service you have to pay for that the PS3 users get for free.

PS3 dont get bbc iplayer but users do get RTE player, TV3 player, Channel4OD and joost to name a few services. 100% totally free. and sky player is they are subcribers.
    bucks73 wrote: »
    Its not even that Im a defender of it, Im just being realistic. This was never going to be a full blown Sky service. From the very first mention of this it had been stated that this would be the Sky Player coming to the Xbox. Exactly what the Sky Player offers via the web. They have added the option to take out subs via the Xbox but its nowhere near the full service I already have via satellite.

In truth it has nothing to do with MS as this is a Sky service and it is them you will be paying for it. And Sky certainly were not going to offer a service comparable to or undercutting its satellite service. That wouldnt make any business sense.

As I said previously I think I will make use of the On Demand features but certainly wont be paying them a penny. Sky make enough money off me as it is.:D

No one expects it to be a full blown sky service allthough it costs as much people did just expect a decent amount of channels and a decent TV on demand service. They get neither as a non subscriber.

Do you seriously think microsoft are letting sky charge their customers upto 60euro a month to use their console and not making anything out of it ?? Seriously do you belive that ? :)

Plus it would make perfect business sense to offer a service that is as good as their satalite service for all the people in apartments that cant get sky and have to use the other providers this would broaden sky's reach. More customers = good

You are paying MS for your gold subscription if you dont have a gold subscription you cant get sky player, there for its yet another service you have to pay for that the PS3 users get for free.

If you dont have a Sky sub already or you are not willing to pay for one for Sky Player then having a Gold or Silver Xbox sub means absolutely nothing. The Gold sub/free PS3 argument is always dished out when people arent happy with a feature on the Xbox. For €3 a month it is more than worth every single cent. Hell I spend €8.45 a day on fags. :D
    PS3 dont get bbc iplayer but users do get RTE player, TV3 player, Channel4OD and joost to name a few services. 100% totally free.

Just as easily available on a PC or laptop.

No one expects it to be a full blown sky service allthough it costs as much people did just expect a decent amount of channels and a decent TV on demand service. They get neither as a non subscriber.

Lol..damn right they dont. You get what you pay for.
    Do you seriously think microsoft are letting sky charge their customers upto 60euro a month to use their console and not making anything out of it ?? Seriously do you belive that ? :)

Well I dont know for sure but I can tell you that RTE dont pay a penny to have their chennels on Sky. Its in Skys interest to have them on there to boost sales in Ireland. If MS think having a feature like Sky Player on their console will sell more units then why not? Then when people are not watching the Sky via the console they might check out the Marketplace for on demand games and videos etc. More money all round for MS and Sky. :D
    Plus it would make perfect business sense to offer a service that is as good as their satalite service for all the people in apartments that cant get sky and have to use the other providers this would broaden sky's reach. More customers = good

Sky would be hoping that the Sky Player would lead people onto getting the full Sky package to avail of their Sky+ and now more importantly SkyHD services. Thats their ultimate goal. Hence no HD Sky Sports channels on NTL/Chorus in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just got an email (being a sky customer also)

"Denis,
    With Sky Player, Sky's online TV service, you can already watch what you want, when you want on your computer. This autumn Sky Player joins forces with Xbox, meaning that if you have an Xbox 360 and a LIVE Gold membership you could enjoy Sky Player's great programming on your TV too.

Watch together when you're not together.
    Hook up with friends who also have the service, via your Xbox 360, and enjoy live TV programmes together in your virtual apartment. Real time chat lets you share your opinions on the game, while you clap, cheer and wave to make your feelings known.
    Great for catching the big match together!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

So let me get this: I currently have a Sky+ HD subscription but no multiroom, Sky sports or movies. All I get are the standard amd High-Def channels the likes of Discovery HD and History HD, Sky One etc.

So this means if I am right, I cannot watch any of the live streaming channels online as I do not have multiroom.

I also cannot download VOD of the likes of Sky Sports or Sky Movies as I do not subscribe to them anyway.

However can I still download VOD to the 360 for my channels that I do have eg. Discovery, History, Sky One etc. If I can this is lovely because I often miss stuff that I have failed to record or has not been sent down via "Sky Anytime".

Will there be HD content on the VOD or will it be all SD?

I wish Sky would come along and enable true VOD on the Sky+ HD boxes which are capable for it but they just haven't it rolled out yet, they have half the 320GB Hard drive devoted to crappy "Sky Anytime" which gets down stuff I can't watch as I don't subscribe to it. I have a nice internet connection which would handle VOD nicely so I can't wait to get downloading!

The Xbox/Sky Player will be a nice complimentary feature but Sky need to get off their a$$ and work on more pressing products like VOD rather than wasting money on pie in the sky 3D-TV which in reality is ten years away from the masses anyway. HD isn't even for the masses yet sure.

Now to get up to the attic tommorow and reconnect the cut ethernet cable from the router to the Xbox and resubscribe to Xbox Live Gold!

netwhizkid wrote: »
    So this means if I am right, I cannot watch any of the live streaming channels online as I do not have multiroom.
    correct, well you can watch sky news, that's it.
    I also cannot download VOD of the likes of Sky Sports or Sky Movies as I do not subscribe to them anyway.

However can I still download VOD to the 360 for my channels that I do have eg. Discovery, History, Sky One etc. If I can this is lovely because I often miss stuff that I have failed to record or has not been sent down via "Sky Anytime".
    Wrong, You can download movies, sports and tv shows for free on the VOD service as long as you are a sky movies and sky sports subscriber. you can do this on sky player on your pc too.
    Will there be HD content on the VOD or will it be all SD?
    SD only

didn't say a word about multiroom in the email I got just Sky Digital + Xbox Live Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ShaneU wrote: »
    Wrong, You can download movies, sports and tv shows for free on the VOD service as long as you are a sky movies and sky sports subscriber.

he doesn't have a sports or movie sub though...

Liam O wrote: »
    he doesn't have a sports or movie sub though...

Oh right, didn't see that, assumed he had them.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    didn't say a word about multiroom in the email I got just Sky Digital + Xbox Live Gold.
    That's because you only need multiroom to watch live tv, always check the fine print with sky.

well I know plenty of people who've called and said they're cancelling to get a significant reduction - might look into that and see about them throwing in multiroom for sky player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I actually think I'm benefiting the most from this service. We currently have multiroom in three rooms of the house. We did have it in mine but I cancelled my own box last year (to save a whole €9 per month). I now get pretty much everything except for the sports which in all honesty I'd rather watch down the pub than at home in bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

Anyone know how this will work??? Is it being streamed from laptop to 360???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

wannabepr wrote: »
    Anyone know how this will work??? Is it being streamed from laptop to 360???
    It will be streamed over XBox Live to the 360 directly from Sky, no need for the Sky Player on the Laptop.

It will be kind of similar to the NetFlix implementation in the US, or the way you can watch the 'Inside XBox' videos at the moment, but on steroids as it will allow for Live TV to be streamed (for 24 channels that range from good to meh) in addition to Video on Demand for some additional programs, movies or sports programs depending on your Sky or SkyPlayer package...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

It will be streamed over XBox Live to the 360 directly from Sky, no need for the Sky Player on the Laptop.

It will be kind of similar to the NetFlix implementation in the US, or the way you can watch the 'Inside XBox' videos at the moment, but on steroids as it will allow for Live TV to be streamed (for 24 channels that range from good to meh) in addition to Video on Demand for some additional programs, movies or sports programs depending on your Sky or SkyPlayer package...
    sounds good , just off topic.. How would i find out if my console was banned. Also what happen xbox gold membership if console is banned?? ie can i transfer my xbox live account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'm on the fence over this. Being able to watch Sky Sports live on my Xbox was what I was really hoping for, bit crap that you cant do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Moiph wrote: »
    I'm on the fence over this. Being able to watch Sky Sports live on my Xbox was what I was really hoping for, bit crap that you cant do that.
    With a multiroom sub you can afaik. I'm looking forward to this, if it works the same way as the pc version does then I'll be able to watch some of the movie channels live plus other movies on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

cian1500ww wrote: »
    With a multiroom sub you can afaik. I'm looking forward to this, if it works the same way as the pc version does then I'll be able to watch some of the movie channels live plus other movies on demand.

Yeah but I cant afford to stretch the wallet that little bit more for multiroom right now. I dont know why they cant just have live sports on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Moiph wrote: »

Eh, im nearly a hundred per cent sure, but you CAN watch live sports through live once its introduced. Dont know how it works for sky customers but matches will be available i think on a pay per view basis. Watched an a presentation online from some xbox executive promoting the whole thing. Only learned of this the other night when i got the rrod. Spoke to the customer care dude who mentioned that a pricing scheme was yet to be decided.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/news-features/News/Sky-290509.htm

http://whathifi.com/News/Xbox-360-joins-forces-with-Sky-TV/

Advertisement