Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I currently have Magnet Entertainment in the place where I live and as luck would have it, my Xbox has just returned from being fixed.

Seeing I'm not a Sky customer, can I sign up and get the channels? Is there a minimum contract?

To be honest, where I live, I can only get Magnet. But I've a sneaking suspicion the tv package through Sky may be cheaper. If so, I might go ahead and cancel my TV package with Magnet.

Unless you're planning to get multiroom then don't bother with Sky on your Xbox. You're better off just getting an actual Sky box with more channels available than what they have on the Xbox.

Better quality too. I've multiroom and have Sky on my Xbox and there's only a very limited amount of live channels you can get.
    The on demand movie service is very very good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah I had a look and they only have limited channels. I thought they had BBC, ITV etc through the Xbox. Looks like it's not going to be the saviour I thought. At least not yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That_Guy wrote: »
    The on demand movie service is very very good though.

That's all I have with the loaner skyplayer codes I got from a mate. Finding movies is a little awkward on the xbox though, and some of the ones listed on the SkyPlayer webpage don't exist on the Xbox version. Great for free though so I ain't complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

can you still get one month free?
    Loads of fotball on tomorrow - wouldn't mind having the live TV for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Just want to clarify a few things..
    With the one-month codes you can get, you don't need a proper Sky subscription?
    What exactly do you get on the Xbox from one of there, in the way of channels/etc?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

This is the biggest farce i have ever seen! Horribly overpriced and it eats your bandwith liked crazy. I also don't like how they're advertising this 1 month free thing. You have to enter credit card details (of course...) on the off chance you forget about it in a months time and they get more money. Typical Sky... :rolleyes:

Shower of cnuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Aidonin wrote: »
    This is the biggest farce i have ever seen! Horribly overpriced and it eats your bandwith liked crazy. I also don't like how they're advertising this 1 month free thing. You have to enter credit card details (of course...) on the off chance you forget about it in a months time and they get more money. Typical Sky... :rolleyes:

Shower of cnuts!

Overpriced? Isn't it free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

its free for the month but if you forget to cancel then they'll keep billing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

greenman09 wrote: »
    its free for the month but if you forget to cancel then they'll keep billing you.

Initially get Sky Player = Free

Expanding the channels to include Live TV based on your subscription = Free if you already have Sky Multiroom, otherwise you get 1 month free and are charged £5/month thereafter until March and then £10/month.

So Sky Player is still basically free :)

Also, nobody should really get the Multiroom from Xbox.com - the whole point of multiroom is to enable you to watch two different sky channels from your full subscription in two different rooms, this can't be done if you just add it on to your subscription via xbox.com - get the real multiroom and then you've got two rooms with the 600+ channels (and two sky boxes) and can use your xbox Sky player anywhere you like too with full capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

So...what exactly do you get with no proper subscription, just an xbox and one of those 3 month codes you buy in shops?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

So...what exactly do you get with no proper subscription, just an xbox and one of those 3 month codes you buy in shops?
    and Sky News :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anyone give me a quick rundown of Skyplayer. My parents have a Sky subscriptiion and from what I have read, I can register for skyplayer using his details? True?

If so, what channels can I get. More importantly, can I download the programs for viewing instead of streaming?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone give me a quick rundown of Skyplayer. My parents have a Sky subscriptiion and from what I have read, I can register for skyplayer using his details? True?

If so, what channels can I get. More importantly, can I download the programs for viewing instead of streaming?

Thanks!
    As below:
    Got Sky TV with Multiroom?
    Then you can watch everything the service has to offerfor free! (Including live TV such as Sky news). But you`ll have to create a sky player login on Sky`s Own website first. Sky unlimited broadband users can also watch live TV, but some on-demand content won`t be available for you.

Got Sky TV but you don't have Multiroom or Sky unlimited broadband?
    Then you`ll need to pay an subscription to access the live TV content, and then create a Sky player login on Sky`s own website.

Don`t already have Sky TV or Sky unlimited broadband?
    Then you need to subscibe to at least there most basic package which will cost you £15 per month. You can of course add extra channels to this (sports, movies etc), and the price will change accoringly. you will now be able to access both live TV channels and any channels for which you`ve subscibed via on-demand. This can be done via your xbox 360

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What channels you get depends on what channels they have. The only stuff I can get on the xbox is the on demand movies and movies 1 & 2 I think it is on the Sky login I was given by a friend. You are supposed to be able to download the programs to the PC for offline playing as well, but I have never been able to get the thing to work. On the xbox it is only by streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Using my parents login, as they have everything. Great service and a great selection of movies. Shame no HD content but I can live with that.

How does this work over WiFi? I've an 8meg Smart Telecom connection and I hate having to drag the ethernet cable across the room, so I may invest in the WiFi dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Just a quick question for the Sky Player users on the 360, has anyone Sky 1 on demand updated, I still only have the two catergories Reality and Gameshows, as fun as they are when the service launched first it had full seasons for renting, is this by design or are we just getting a watered down version ?

Can anyone else see shows like lost and house for on demand viewing through the 360 ?

I checked the skyplayer blog but its not very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

greenman09 wrote: »
    Not true, they cancelled mine with me doing anything.
    Can anyone else see shows like lost and house for on demand viewing through the 360
    They can only show episodes of lost for a month or two after they were first shown on tv. So you can't watch any of the previous seasons on it, probably the same with house.

Cheers for that Shane, its gas when it was launched and they had all the problems.

I managed to get in and they had episodes of the Simpsons and Futurama, but the only two categories in the Sky 1 on demand that I see are Gameshows and Reality and very little content worth watching in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I managed to get in and they had episodes of the Simpsons and Futurama, but the only two categories in the Sky 1 on demand that I see are Gameshows and Reality and very little content worth watching in either.

For some reason when I set up sky player on my pc it gives much more on demand content for sky 1 then on the xbox. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

This might be a cheeky question but how do sky know that this xbox belongs to this subscription if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement

You have to register on sky.com using your Sky card number to use the .
    Sky Player on the xbox/PC/Mac.
    You also meant to have your Sky box connected top your phone line. They could just compare IPs.

But your only allowed to use an account on 1 console at a time and that console becomes the sole account user.

Hey Folks,

Just noticed that new content has shown up under the Sky 1 on demand.

The new series of 24, the new series of Lost and some of the first series of Modern Family have been added for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just a question about this.

I will be moving out soon enough and would love to get this so I can watch sky tv in my room. I'm gonna guess the people I end up living with won't be big football fans and I would watch a fierce amount. So I would like to get this to not only get sky sports on the cheap, but also so I can watch sky sports in my room so I'm not bothering my housemates by hogging the tv.

I don't have a sky subscription, my parents don't either. I have a couple of relatives who do and I really don't think they use their sky player account. Would I be able to get their details and use that to sign up on my xbox? In order to get sky sports on the xbox, do they have to have a sky sports subscription? I think I have one relative who does.

They don't have multiroom so I'm guessing this would cost €15/month. Does that just show up on my relative's sky bill? So I'd have to give them money for it every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I will be moving out soon enough and would love to get this so I can watch sky tv in my room. I'm gonna guess the people I end up living with won't be big football fans and I would watch a fierce amount. So I would like to get this to not only get sky sports on the cheap, but also so I can watch sky sports in my room so I'm not bothering my housemates by hogging the tv.

I don't have a sky subscription, my parents don't either. I have a couple of relatives who do and I really don't think they use their sky player account. Would I be able to get their details and use that to sign up on my xbox? In order to get sky sports on the xbox, do they have to have a sky sports subscription? I think I have one relative who does.

They don't have multiroom so I'm guessing this would cost €15/month. Does that just show up on my relative's sky bill? So I'd have to give them money for it every month?

That's pretty much how it works. You have to already have sky sports & multiroom to get skyplayer for free so, you'd have to make up the difference!

Just watch the games on http://justin.tv or http://ustream.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Streams suck. Would rather just pay the extra bit and watch them properly in half decent quality without having to worry about the stream going down after a few minutes.

The Sky HQ stream isnt too good either. Also on my 7Mb connection I cant watch HQ shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Sky HQ stream isnt too good either. Also on my 7Mb connection I cant watch HQ shows...

It's pretty much a constant stream though which, is more than you can say for online streams. They can be flawless in that respect but, not consistently so!

Yeah I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Initially get Sky Player = Free

Expanding the channels to include Live TV based on your subscription = Free if you already have Sky Multiroom, otherwise you get 1 month free and are charged £5/month thereafter until March and then £10/month.

So Sky Player is still basically free :)

ahhhh i was wondering why i was charged €15 last month instead of €7.50. probably will cancel it after the current free offer, only use it for the heineken cup with the sports sub at home.

Advertisement