Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MaceFace wrote: »
    Are ya all mad?

Legalising weed? Have any of you being to Amsterdam? It is full of an unholy amount of European trash.
    It is the only place in the world I have been where I heard open advertising for "Cocaine, Heroine, Ecstacy". Guys shouting it on the corners.
    Do you think the criminals will fade away - no - they will just move on to something else (like the harder drugs).

And, who has ever gone to prison for canabis offenses?
    I've had people openly advertise drugs in many countries. The best being in Las Vegas where one guy was on an escalator asking people going in the opposite direction if they wanted coke. In Barcelona I had prostitutes hanging off me on the street I couldn't take two steps without being hounded by one.

Most of those guys are so open about selling drugs because their not selling drugs, their selling aspirins and baking soda to gullible tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

well if we legalize it the tax and tourism benefits would be enormous

well worth doing as it also takes money off the drug dealers hands and CAB can focus on the harder drugs out there

Tax, tourism, employment (people need to work in the cafes), agriculture (people need to grow it), industry (hemp fiber, paper, oil, building material, etc). Hemp and cannabis production could pull this country out of debt in less than ten years and create guaranteed employment for years to come.

We would be idiots not to grow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 michael2121

aurelius79 wrote: »
    Tax, tourism, employment (people need to work in the cafes), agriculture (people need to grow it), industry (hemp fiber, paper, oil, building material, etc). Hemp and cannabis production could pull this country out of debt in less than ten years and create guaranteed employment for years to come.

We would be idiots not to grow it.

Too true we need to get some clever people into government not the chicken brains that we currently have !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mossticles

BIG TIME.
    But realistically, what are we going to do about it? The reason politicians in this country don't take the matter seriously is because they are afraid of being voted out of power, with all the older generation who endured the Anti-Cannabis campaigns. The ones that demonised smoking, putting it on the same level to uninformed people as Heroine and far worse than cocaine. "Cannabis makes you go insane within weeks" was a typical slogan. So the older generations who always vote have no interest in listening to a politician who is suggesting legalisation. A good point was made earlier about the U.K.'s effort to decriminalise it. If they had properly succeeded, and fair fex to them for tryin, Ireland would be far better informed that Cannabis is far better than alcohol in terms of health, medicinal and crime (particularly violence) among other points. We would have been in a much better position to get a result.

Legalise...but let's not just talk about it forever, let's actually make this even more Nationwide. "Whynotwhycanti"......RESPECT.

You'd be quite surprised with attitudes of older people when it comes to cannabis. Many older people, especially rural people, while they may not agree with it they believe we have the right to choose for ourselves.

My grandfather is 83 years old and knows I smoke cannabis. He never condemns me for it, in fact he gives me a harder time for smoking tobacco.

Don't let them fool you, old folks aren't stupid. They know hemp is very useful and cannabis is relatively harmless. Vets of WWII know how useful hemp is. All their uniforms were made from it. Parachute chords were made from it. Rope for ships and other things were made from it.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

But in all honesty, I reckon the majority of people of people (myself included!) aren't looking for a job in the hemp industry or for Ireland to manufacture a new line of clothing, we want to able to recreationally smoke it in Ireland without getting in trouble for it. And to know that we ain't smoking bits of glass and the likes!

The price of alcohol is so high now, and with the smoking ban it's splitting up groups in bars. A smoking house where ya join friends and meet new (and more than likely cheerful) people, dream material for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

My grandfather is 83 years old and knows I smoke cannabis. He never condemns me for it, in fact he gives me a harder time for smoking tobacco.

Don't let them fool you, old folks aren't stupid. They know hemp is very useful and cannabis is relatively harmless. Vets of WWII know how useful hemp is. All their uniforms were made from it. Parachute chords were made from it. Rope for ships and other things were made from it.

Two very different topics here - hemp and cannabis. This is about legalising cannabis, and tell me, do you smoke it in front of your grandfather?

As the saying goes, if alcohol or tobacco were new to the market today, they would both be banned. It is a carcinogenic and is therefore dangerous.

What about driving under the influence. Given that there are no reliable roadside tests for drugs, how do we police that?

And I get back again to what I said earlier - criminals who are currently involved in the cannabis trade are not going to suddenly go out and get a job in a bank now that their product is legal - they either sell it cheaper or they peddle something else in its place.

Unless you can come up with sensible solutions to the real problems with legalising cannabis, admit that it shouldn't be done.

Oh, and how many think we should also legalise mushrooms and ecstacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

What about driving under the influence. Given that there are no reliable roadside tests for drugs, how do we police that?
    It's already illegal to drive under the influence of drugs. So no change there. We police it in the same way they are currently policing it.
    And I get back again to what I said earlier - criminals who are currently involved in the cannabis trade are not going to suddenly go out and get a job in a bank now that their product is legal - they either sell it cheaper or they peddle something else in its place.
    I'm not sure if anybody can predict what a criminal gang will do. But it's not really an argument against legalisation. In effect your saying: well, we know these criminal gangs are selling cannabis (and x,y and z), and we're really worried about it, but we're more worried about undercutting them, so let's just keep the status quo.
    That's actually irrelevant to the current discussion.
    But i see where you are going with it. Yet the same logic can be used right back at you: since we already have legalised harmful drugs (alcohol, tobacco, caffine) then surely it's a reason to legalise other ones? I mean, why stop there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

RedPlanet wrote: »
    It's already illegal to drive under the influence of drugs. So no change there. We police it in the same way they are currently policing it.
    Well, no, because you are now mass marketing a product which means the likelihood of drug driving sky rocketing which in turn leads to many more road deaths (including many people not using the legalised drugs)
    I'm not sure if anybody can predict what a criminal gang will do. But it's not really an argument against legalisation. In effect your saying: well, we know these criminal gangs are selling cannabis (and x,y and z), and we're really worried about it, but we're more worried about undercutting them, so let's just keep the status quo.
    I did not put this point down to argue against legalisation but it was in reference to many other references in this thread to putting the criminals out of business if it was legalised and my point is it will not - they will just find another way to make easy money.
    That's actually irrelevant to the current discussion.
    But i see where you are going with it. Yet the same logic can be used right back at you: since we already have legalised harmful drugs (alcohol, tobacco, caffine) then surely it's a reason to legalise other ones? I mean, why stop there?
    I think it is relevant because I want to know a bit more about the people who are saying it should be legalised. Are the pro-legalisation people really knowledgeable and correct in their beliefs that the problems legalising cannabis will cause be overcome with actual solutions available today.
    BTW: If I had my way, tobacco would be banned - it is the only legal product where used exactly to the manufacturers instructions is likely to result in death. Using it in the presence of others will inflict potential harm upon them.

Alcohol and Caffine are quite different in that both can be used in moderation and you can be guaranteed not to suffer from and side affects.

Back on topic of impact to the economy: IMHO legalising will cause a bigger strain on our health service and police force which would be much less than any revenue we could generate from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

BTW: If I had my way, tobacco would be banned - it is the only legal product where used exactly to the manufacturers instructions is likely to result in death. Using it in the presence of others will inflict potential harm upon them.

Alcohol and Caffine are quite different in that both can be used in moderation and you can be guaranteed not to suffer from and side affects.

Back on topic of impact to the economy: IMHO legalising will cause a bigger strain on our health service and police force which would be much less than any revenue we could generate from it.

Lol, i must have missed the manufacturers instructions on the pack of fags i bought earlier lmao. Alcohol is potentially worse than cigarettes and it's probably only here where people would defend it. Someone can live to old age while smoking all their life and some people can die at a young age (a friend of mine did) from cancer cause by alcohol. an abusive drunk using alcohol around his wife will inflict potential harm on her won't he?

in your honest opinion, and that's it, yours is just an opinion like everyone else on here. If weed was legalised and the consumption of drink decreased i'd say we would save huge money on healthcare and the cost of gardai overtime. i mean if it's legal what are you arresting potheads for?? If it's legal and cheaper then people wouldn't have to use tabacco to mix it with and there is further reductions to the healthcare bill. What do you think the implications for healthcare and the police force are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

how many think we should also legalise mushrooms and ecstacy?

Me for one, in fact, I think most natural drugs should be allowed onto the market. I'm a bit iffy about ecstacy, and Heroin and cocaine I'm also a little apprehensive about, but "shrooms" and "weed"(in all it's forms) should be legalised. After all, do they not grow naturally upon our planet? O.o. In doubt, watch some Bill Hicks, he'll guide you in the right direction.

Economically, I think we could stand to have cannabis brought onto the market. All this talk of it effecting the tobacco and alcohol industries in a negative way. Good. It's about time these to go. They are the two WORST "social drugs" and do absolutely nothing for you. After all, if a guy is puking on the side of the street on a Saturday night, is he high, or is he drunk? A person is involved in a car crash after going 80kmph on the wrong side of the road? High or Drunk? Don't rub me with the generalisation brush, quite obviously it's different for each case, but we can assume that more then likely, that's what'll happen.

In regards the "addiction" to cannabis and the side effects, let's use our heads here. If you eat too much cake, you become overweight. You smoke too much tobacco, you develop lung cancer, you drink too much alcohol, you get liver failure. All things in excess are dangerous. A little moderation goes a long way.

We've nothing to actually lose by legalising it, why not I say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

We can speculate on what we think will be the affect of legalising cannabis in relation to crime, medical services, garda forces and say what we think might happen, or we can look at other countries who have taken a different approach to outright prohibition and establish what happened in their situations. This is a far more accurate way in establishing what affect legalising may have than just saying what we think may happen.

Based on this, if we look at Portugal, Holland, Canada, the result of them legalising/decriminalising cannabis has been a reduction in drug related crime, a reduction in the amount of overall users, a decrease in the amount of enforcement needed by the police services, a reduction on medical services and a reduction in the amount of public service money used to enforce its prohibition. I won’t even begin on the amount of money that can be generated from it except that in California they reckon it could be in the region of 4 billion dollars annually, that to the government alone and that figure was disclosed in the conservative magazine TIME. By looking at these other countries, it would appear that the reality of legalising cannabis is very different than what you believe may happen.

Also, at present, driving under the influence of drugs is illegal. They are currently drafting legislation so that suspected users driving will be able to be tested. Right now, its governance is similar to how drink driving was before random breath testing.

just to add, you may think that if it was legal this would put more strain on the medical service than now with it being illegal. Professor Nutt, a doctor who has spent decades researching the affects of all drugs (alcohol included) has said that only a very small amount of cannabis users react badly to it and these usually have some previous mental issue. Even if it became legal and for some reason alot more poeple started to take it, the percentage would still be same.

Of all my friends who smoke, and do not smoke, after 10 years I do not know one who has had to put strain on the medical services from smoking. I do however, know countless amounts of people who have ended up in ER from drink related incidences. Ask anybody in the medical services, of all the legal and illegal drugs right now, what absolutely drives them up the wall is the socially accepted drink culture in this country.

Well, no, because you are now mass marketing a product which means the likelihood of drug driving sky rocketing which in turn leads to many more road deaths (including many people not using the legalised drugs)
    Legalising a recreational substance and mass marketing are two very different things.
    For example we could legalise a substance and prohibit mass-marketing it.
    it was in reference to many other references in this thread to putting the criminals out of business if it was legalised and my point is it will not - they will just find another way to make easy money.
    no doubt they won't just go out of business of course. They may invest their time in learning how to operate diggers and steal atm's. They may invest their time smuggling cigarettes. Who can say? But we can take profit away from them by making one of the substances they smuggle, legally available.
    We can also take steps to remove all cash from atms by 1am.
    Or, we could re-design atms so they are anchored into the ground.
    Doubtless the criminal gangs will move to something more profittable, and we'll have to adapt with them.
    I don't think anybody was making the claim that criminal gangs would just disappear because selling cannabis is no longer profitable.
    If that is really your concern than how in god's name are you NOT calling for alcohol to be banned immediately?

Two very different topics here - hemp and cannabis. This is about legalising cannabis, and tell me, do you smoke it in front of your grandfather?

Actually, they are not two very different topics. They are essentially the same plant. Cannabis as a drug has been bred to increase THC levels, cannabis to make hemp has been bred to reduce THC levels and to grow tall and thin.

And no, I don't smoke in front of my grandfather, cannabis or tobacco.

There is also no reliable data connecting driving under the influence of cannabis and accidents. How many people have died/been hospitalized while driving under the influence of alcohol this year? How many have died/been hospitalized under the influence of cannabis? So, not enough data to support your argument.

No, these criminals won't go get a job in a bank. They may be able to get a license and start up a legal distribution business supplying coffee shops and other outlets.

As far as other drugs, there isn't already a huge market for illegal drugs (extacy, cocaine, heroin) in this country? I think the demand for these drugs will actually go down if people can legally obtain cannabis. If these drugs are made legal then the quality will increase. No more rat poison and other unknown substances in them.
    Unless you can come up with sensible solutions to the real problems with legalising cannabis, admit that it shouldn't be done.

Well, you have yet to provide any actual facts to support that there would be any problems legalizing cannabis and other drugs.

After years of recreational use with no reported fatalities, mushrooms were made illegal because one man decided to jump off a roof. We were not told if he had mental problems before he took the mushrooms, we were just told he died while on them. Unfortunately, people commit suicide every year in this country, many while under the influence of alcohol. I have personal experience with this.

As far as any medical issues are concerned, there is absolutely no medical evidence to support the idea that recreational use of cannabis causes long-term health problems. The following is taken directly from the Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals, one of the most widely used reference book in medicine today.

Marijuana is a euphoriant that can cause sedation or dysphoria in some users. Overdose does not occur. Psychologic dependence can develop with chronic use, but very little physical dependence is clinically apparent. Withdrawal is uncomfortable but requires only supportive treatment.

Chronic effects: Any drug that causes euphoria and diminishes anxiety can cause dependence, and marijuana is no exception. However, heavy use and reports of inability to stop are unusual. Critics of marijuana cite much scientific data regarding adverse effects, but most claims of significant biologic effect are unsubstantiated. Findings are sparse even among relatively heavy users and in areas intensively investigated (eg, immunologic and reproductive function). However, high-dose smokers develop pulmonary symptoms (episodes of acute bronchitis, wheezing, coughing, and increased phlegm), and pulmonary function may be altered, manifested as large airway changes of unknown significance. Even daily smokers do not develop obstructive airway disease. There is no evidence of increased risk of head and neck or airway cancers, as there is with tobacco. In a few case-control studies, diminished cognitive function was identified in small samples of long-term high-dose users; this finding needs to be confirmed. A sense of diminished ambition and energy is often described.

The effect of prenatal marijuana use on neonates is not clear. Decreased fetal weight has been reported, but when all factors (eg, maternal alcohol and tobacco use) are accounted for, the effect on fetal weight appears less. THC is secreted in breast milk. Although harm to breastfed babies has not been shown, breastfeeding mothers, like pregnant women, should avoid using marijuana.

Source: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec15/ch198/ch198i.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ireland was one of the first countrys to introduce the smoking ban. Many have followed our lead. We could try to do something first again.

Here we have a substance widely in use that its fair to say we cannot stop from being used by the people that use it. Most of all smoking is done in parks or in private houses. Almost no one on dope becomes violent and most hold down steady jobs and even family's.

There can be no indoor cafes. A few outdoor cafes dotted around the city at first can do no real harm.

All I am saying is for a trial period lets actually try admitting there is an actual elephant in the room.

This will not pull the country out of recession it wont even piont it in that direction. However it may ease the load on our resources while we try and get out of it.

Don't kid yourself Cannabis/weed like tobacco and alchol are not good things to pump into yourself.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Don't kid yourself Cannabis/weed like tobacco and alchol are not good things to pump into yourself.

Actually, it's been proven that THC has varied medicinal and therapeutic properties. That's why pharmaceutical companies are producing synthetic versions of it.

It has been used to treat depression, anxiety, pain, epilepsy, asthma, glaucoma, nausea, spasticity, movement disorders associated with Tourette's and MS, to name but a few. It is also helpful to patients who are suffering withdrawal symptoms from cocaine, heroin, prescription drugs and alcohol.
    [FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think to start with it should be legal to smoke in your own home and purchase as long as the package is kept in the home and the seal not broken until you get home.

Basically keep it illegal to be walking around with bags of the stuff that dealers would be selling but make it legal to buy it and smoke it for a normal person that just wants to have a smoke at home.

By only making it legal to smoke at home and have it in your home, it also leave the police being able to arrest people for having it unsealed in their car for suspicion of driving under the influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Economics 101 my friend. Any increase in the use of cannabis would be offset by a decrease in the use of alcohol or tobacco (most likely alcohol, given the way the drugs are generally used). People won't suddenly have more disposable income to spend on cannabis.
    Of course there's no real reason to believe that usage rates would shoot up. Experiments in Switzerland where heroin was made freely available in government clinics showed a decrease in the number of new users.
    I did not put this point down to argue against legalisation but it was in reference to many other references in this thread to putting the criminals out of business if it was legalised and my point is it will not - they will just find another way to make easy money.
    What way? They're not going to start selling stained glass windows.
    No other illicit drug comes close to cannabis in usage rates and no other drug brings in nearly the same amount of revenue. Cannabis is also the main (and often sole) draw for bringing in new customers who you can eventually sell MDMA, Cocaine, etc too. Those people won't seek out dealers for those drugs, but if offered them may try them. Without marijuana they won't come into contact with dealers in the first place.

I doubt it.The taxes garnered from it would be huge, given that it is possible to mark up the price to over ten times cost and still be cheaper than dealers. In Canada medical marijuana providers have been criticised for marking up their product to over 15 times cost, owever they are still cheaper than street dealers. There are huge tax revenues to be garnered from this.
    I don't know the statistics for the HSE, but I do know that in Britain the taxes from the sale of Tobacco and Alcohol products more than make up for the cost to the NHS of problems related to them. Given that the health problems associated with cannabis do not even come within a mile of the problems associated with alcohol and tobacco we can expect an even larger profit for the exchequer.
    Furthermore, and it may seem slightly callous to point this out, but dying young of a health problem associated with tobacco or alcohol, or fast food, whatever, if far cheaper for the health service than dying old. Think about it, the guy who gets cancer, receives treatment, and then dies at 40 and the guy who dies of a McDonalds induced heart attack both cost less than the elderly women who dies of Cancer after receiving treatment, a pension and treatment for any other health problems that she inevitably had during her extra 30-40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Tobacco kills 750.000 per year

Alcohol kills 400.000 per year

coffee kills 4.500 per year

aspirin kills 7.500 per year

Cannabis Kills 0 what you say 0 dont believe me look in google videos for a video called

THE UNION , THE BUSINESS BEHIND CANNABIS ,,,

Its all in it ,,

from professors from Harvard uni and many more top Law official's

THE UNION , THE BUSINESS BEHIND CANNABIS ,,,

when you see the video please comment on this truly

the government doesn't want people to think for themselves. cannabis as far as i know makes you think alot and only makes you sleepy and it's absolutly true that not one person has ever died from it. as is said alcohol is the biggest killer on the planet except for mosquitoes. cannabis the thinking man/womans herb is safe but it has to be pure. alot of people in calafornia now go to their doctor and are prescribed cannabis/marijuana for i'lls they have and there is complete proof that it helps ms sufferers as well. i still can't believe why this stuff is not made legal even for people that suffer these i'lls. it's an amazing herb in reality it is only called a drug by the government. it is a herb that grows naturally out of the ground without any touch from man/woman and has being used for thousands of years.

quote: IMHO legalising will cause a bigger strain on our health service and police force which would be much less than any revenue we could generate from it.

I beg to wonder why you might think that when alcohol is killing this countries citizens left and right drunk men and women angered by the fuel of alcohol. if anything cannabis would relax them and deter them from killing each other. I have not met one person yet that has caused a problem or got voilent after smoking cannabis on the contrary they seem more placid and happy and as was said how could it have a bigger strain on the health system no one would be in or go to the hospital/health service as they would be laughing their head off doing other things.

Actually, it's been proven that THC has varied medicinal and therapeutic properties. That's why pharmaceutical companies are producing synthetic versions of it.

It has been used to treat depression, anxiety, pain, epilepsy, asthma, glaucoma, nausea, spasticity, movement disorders associated with Tourette's and MS, to name but a few. It is also helpful to patients who are suffering withdrawal symptoms from cocaine, heroin, prescription drugs and alcohol.
    [FONT=Helvetica,Verdana,Arial][/FONT]

So is heroin, morphine in the proper context.

Hey I'm all for a legal trial. I am perfectly fine at present please dont try and convince me inhaling smoke into my lungs from anything is "good" for me.

We are not talking about the medcinal context here at all.

So is heroin, morphine in the proper context.

Hey I'm all for a legal trial. I am perfectly fine at present please dont try and convince me inhaling smoke into my lungs from anything is "good" for me.

We are not talking about the medcinal context here at all.

well inhaling smoke either way is not good for the body. but used in a medicinal way people would have a choice whether to use the spray or ingest it or put it on a cake or bun. smoking it is a preference.

should marijuana be legal ? well yes if it has medicinal purposes definatly. should it be legal so anyone could go and buy it ? no. age constrictions will be the deal. first off in the headshops/hemporium in all counties in ireland people can walk into the shop and buy smoke plus which is strong enough. smoke xxx. tijuana. silver. all these are perfectly legal in this country and they are mixtures of different herbs but what are we missing ? marijuana real marijuana is illegal. real marijuana is a natural herb and is banned from most countries in the world but they are allowed to sell this other stuff legally which has the same mind altering effects. i don't get it thc=natural. all the above might not be. they are mixed with god knows what. but there ye go who am i to decide what is right or wrong. let this backward government decide the backwardness for us. = stuck in limbo.

zenno wrote: »
    well inhaling smoke either way is not good for the body.

And in reality that's what we are talking about here. The recreational smoking of cannabis or marijuana.

I cant see how legalising it would really affect anyone who did not involve them selves in it by choice.

I cant see how legalising it would really affect anyone who did not involve them selves in it by choice.

Only that they'd have less people to get out of their head drunk with, cos their friends are at home or in a Smoking House laughing and actually talking to each other....unlike in a nightclub.

How do we get this message to braver politicians, willing to make change?

Mossticles wrote: »
    Only that they'd have less people to get out of their head drunk with, cos their friends are at home or in a Smoking House laughing and actually talking to each other....unlike in a nightclub.
    Exactly, however the Vinters Federation will have a strong opinion on that.
    Mossticles wrote: »
    How do we get this message to braver politicians, willing to make change?
    Not online petitions at any rate.
    I would love to hear some creative brainstorming on this.
    I suggested public demonstrations, marches to the Dail.
    We could invite other pro-cannabis organisations like NORML.
    It's quite difficult to produce change in our system.
    But, the squeaky wheel gets the greese as they say.
    Vested interests would be the main stumbling block to any campaign.
    (and lack of funds)

If cannabis had the power to pull ireland out of a recession. The goverment would be the ones trying to convince us its the way to go.

It has no power to do this.

If cannabis had the power to pull ireland out of a recession. The goverment would be the ones trying to convince us its the way to go.

It has no power to do this.

Not neccsarilty true. I would be sceptical that legalising cannabis could get us out of this recession, but even if it could the government would not do it as it would mean they would never get re-elecetd because it would be an upopular decision. They could make tougher decisions that could get us out of this recession quicker but won't do it because they want to be re-elected. Its just as if the IMF come in, they will do what the governement wouldn't do to get us out of this recession as they wouldn't have to be re-elected and wouldn't care how popular they are. Our government are still hanging on to the possibility of being re-elected and them suddenly bringing up legalising cannabis would be the nail in the coffin for them, regardless of how much revenue it would generate.

Governments do not make decisions based on what is best for the people, they make decisions on what will keep them popular and get them re-elected. As such, even if legalising cannabis could generate huge amounts of revenue for the state, it would be political suicide and as such would never even be brought up.

• Advertisement

Not neccsarilty true. I would be sceptical that legalising cannabis could get us out of this recession, but even if it could the government would not do it as it would mean they would never get re-elecetd because it would be an upopular decision. They could make tougher decisions that could get us out of this recession quicker but won't do it because they want to be re-elected. Its just as if the IMF come in, they will do what the governement wouldn't do to get us out of this recession as they wouldn't have to be re-elected and wouldn't care how popular they are. Our government are still hanging on to the possibility of being re-elected and them suddenly bringing up legalising cannabis would be the nail in the coffin for them, regardless of how much revenue it would generate.

Governments do not make decisions based on what is best for the people, they make decisions on what will keep them popular and get them re-elected. As such, even if legalising cannabis could generate huge amounts of revenue for the state, it would be political suicide and as such would never even be brought up.

quote: as it would mean they would never get re-elecetd because it would be an upopular decision.

they will never get re-elected anyway. who in their right mind would re-elect f- fail

Advertisement