Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I'm afraid that isn't quite the same question.

Fine, but what's your response to the 'rephrased' question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

RedPlanet wrote: »
    There's no need for shipments when folks are permitted to grow it in their own homes and gardens.

Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general? Cannabis is freely available in shops in Amsterdam, yet I had shady dealers constantly coming up to me offering coke, pills and... cannabis! I'm a tad skeptical after that.
    pueblo wrote: »
    Fine, but what's your response to the 'rephrased' question?

Sure, if people want to do that to themselves, then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general? Cannabis is freely available in shops in Amsterdam, yet I had shady dealers constantly coming up to me offering coke, pills and... cannabis! I'm a tad skeptical after that.

legaised cannabis has nothing to do with the drug dealers in Amsterdam. What attacts them is the red light, who's attracted to the red light? Piss heads and stags nights who want...... coke, e's and heroin. You will only get approached for hard drugs in, near or around the red light. Plus most of the "good" coffee shops are away from the red light.

Any smoker who goes to Amdam will usually stick to their fav coffee shops. Only for the craic will they venture into the red light and frequent the nasty bull dog coffee shops. Personally i avoid the red light at all costs and if i am ever confronted with a "drug dealer" i speak to him in Irish = they have no idea who we are and they move on.

Ok, so just provide some evidence and maybe you will turn me. A natural experiment. Surely somebody has conducted one.

damit forgot to reply to your other post about legalising cannabis = 0 crime.

what utter crap, there's no way on earth that legalising blow would cause 0 crime. it would however take the bread and butter away from criminals. Its much harder to sell class A's than it is a bit hash or grass.

Also think for 1 second, marijuana is the gateway drug. the vast majority of people who try it are exposed to harder drugs and the dealers who sell them. by removing the dealer from those who want to try it, experiment with it can do so safe in the knowledge that the drug they are buying is clean, not too full of THC and controlled by the government. Instead, they buy ****e gear off dealers that is full of, fibre glass, glass, tar, plastic, rubber, petrol.

It wouldn't cure our criminal problems but it would take away millions from dealers and cut a large supply of money they use to fund buying harder more profitable durgs like coke.

• Advertisement

I stopped reading here. I didn't say that. Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general?
    Decriminalisation in Portugal led to a decline in use of 'harder' drugs amongst teens, as well as a marked decrease in heroin-related deaths , though it has led to a slight increase in cannabis use - a fair trade-off, I'd say.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

EDIT: I should have mentioned that they decriminalised all drugs, not just cannabis.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Decriminalisation in Portugal led to a decline in use of 'harder' drugs amongst teens, as well as a marked decrease in heroin-related deaths , though it has led to a slight increase in cannabis use - a fair trade-off, I'd say.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

I will have a read later, thanks.

erm you said this "Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general?"

erm you said this "Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general?"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

your point is?

your point is?

I never said that legalising cannabis = 0 crime.

This is getting tiresome, you are contributing nothing. Pace went and delivered an article for people to read. Perhaps you should follow his example.

I never said that legalising cannabis = 0 crime.

This is getting tiresome, you are contributing nothing. Pace went and delivered an article for people to read. Perhaps you should follow his example.

you just like arguing over symantecs, i took you statement as your own whats the problem? shall i pen you an apology?

If you knew anyhting about the subject you'd already know whats been happening in places like, Portugal, Belgum, Amsterdam and Australia when it comes to legalising cannabis.

Clearly you dont so perhaps you should read up on the pressing global issues and what countries are already trying to do about it before expressing mute points on forums.

you just like arguing over symantecs, i took you statement as your own whats the problem? shall i pen you an apology?

If you knew anyhting about the subject you'd already know whats been happening in places like, Portugal, Belgum, Amsterdam and Australia when it comes to legalising cannabis.

Clearly you dont so perhaps you should read up on the pressing global issues and what countries are already trying to do about it before expressing mute points on forums.

Semantics. Moot. Anyway, I am open to being educated by you fine people. Lift the veil of ignorance that clearly surrounds me! Turn off the red light!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mossticles

Come on lads, this is the one topic I was sure there wouldn't be any of the usual nit-picking and boring petty arguments aside of the topic...it's seen on YouTube all the time. :mad:
    I think it's clear that the two of ye should just settle in one of these rainy days, close to the radiator, kick back and roll up a big ol Fat One. Then pop online again and openly say to hell with the pettiness, and back to getting it done with at least decriminalising a recreational drug that countless numbers of your friends use on regular occasions.
    My reason for trips to Amsterdam is to wander from CoffeeShop to CoffeeShop, away from the RedLight District, and away from the Stag Parties. The people who go to Amsterdam for the RedLight are people who like to get langers drunk...they're not people who have any interest in chillin out and smoking cannabis.
    A previous point about Ecstacy being in the same barrel, I'm gonna have to disagree. I can't imagine someone driving a car on the stuff, whereas stoned-driving is a routine job for most.
    I believe the world would be a better place, because it would be a more relaxed and less cut-throat. The unstoppable machine of man mind grind to a halt, and we could go back to looking out for each other rather than looking to make a personal million. Alleleuia....or however it's spelt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Legalise it, but just not in Ireland.

If the Irish took to the Weed, like we do to the drink, we'd be f**ked. The stuff that we get sold, and the legal stuff in Amsterdam are totally different. The "legal" stuff is way better. Whereas the people in the 'Dam took it when it came out, and the same percentage of people who took it hardcore, are the same amount of people who do it on a hardcore basis now. On the other hand, in Ireland, when people get hold of alcohol here, they tend to drink too much, and f**k up their own lives. Because of this, the introduction of weed here would probably be a very bad idea, unless it was limited to people over 21. It may then have less of a bad effect.

Although cannabis doesn't cause as much damage to youer lungs as tobacco does, that's only if you held it in your lungs for the same amount of time, but many cannabis smokers will "hold" it in their lungs for longer, and thus cause more damage.

=-=

NOGMaxpower: learn how to read questions. Flamed Diving asked "Is there any evidence to suggest that decriminalising cannabis leads to zero drug crime or lower crime in general?", and you took it as a statement of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

the_syco wrote: »
    Legalise it, but just not in Ireland.

If the Irish took to the Weed, like we do to the drink, we'd be f**ked. The stuff that we get sold, and the legal stuff in Amsterdam are totally different. The "legal" stuff is way better. Whereas the people in the 'Dam took it when it came out, and the same percentage of people who took it hardcore, are the same amount of people who do it on a hardcore basis now. On the other hand, in Ireland, when people get hold of alcohol here, they tend to drink too much, and f**k up their own lives. Because of this, the introduction of weed here would probably be a very bad idea, unless it was limited to people over 21. It may then have less of a bad effect.

I guess there's no way of proving it but I just really don't think people would binge like they do on alcohol. Its a completely different drug. Cannabis doesn't give you the same confidence buzz alcohol will. Cannabis doesn't make dancing fun. It wouldn't sit well with the Irish pub scene because of its effects. These are the reasons people drink, I don't think cannabis would work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Where's the fun in that?

Where's the fun in that?

hehehe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Cannabis might not kill you but most people I know who have taken cannabis over a long and short period are not the cool people they think they are. They cant get through the day without a joint and are pretty much brain dead and behave in a zombie like fashion. They tend too move onto harder drugs when cannabis doesn't meet their needs anymore and then the death rate is significant.
    I really don't see why we should legalize it in this country has we have enough legalized
    drugs to worry about and how to control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

terenc wrote: »
    Cannabis might not kill you but most people I know who have taken cannabis over a long and short period are not the cool people they think they are. They cant get through the day without a joint and are pretty much brain dead and behave in a zombie like fashion. They tend too move onto harder drugs when cannabis doesn't meet their needs anymore and then the death rate is significant.
    I really don't see why we should legalize it in this country has we have enough legalized

lol I don't know anybody like that who takes Cannabis.

I did when I was in secondary school but they were just drug users and didn't care what it was they were taking and only started on Cannabis because it was easiest to get. If they could have jumped straight to Cocaine they would have.

They were the same guys sneaking Whiskey into school with them and dropping out early.

After college most people taking Cannabis are just normal people, the rest were always just fooked up to begin with. Its not the Cannabis, its their generally I'm going to do everything I'm not supposed to no matter how retarded it is attitude toward life in general.

Seriously, I do know a few people who smoke every day and they appear to be a little sluggish, both physically and cognitively. I suppose they are only harming themselves, but its a shame to see. I know one fella who has a joint first thing in the morning and then goes driving lorries. I don't know how he hasn't killed someone yet. Do they have drug testers yet for Traffic Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I know one fella who has a joint first thing in the morning and then goes driving lorries. I don't know how he hasn't killed someone yet. Do they have drug testers yet for Traffic Garda?
    Yes I am sure they have testers for traffic Corps. How do you make out that you don't know "how he hasn't killed anyone yet"? Does cannabis make you inebriated while driving? Or does it make you more careful?

Yes I am sure they have testers for traffic Corps. How do you make out that you don't know "how he hasn't killed anyone yet"? Does cannabis make you inebriated while driving? Or does it make you more careful?

Well, I have seen the effects that weed has on people. It doesn't seem to make them the sharpest tools in the box...

One stoner I know said that the biggest danger comes from concentrating on little bits of dirt on the window and stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

please watch this video ,, it has the answers ,,

there is 6 more vids please watch

Wow a video. Everybody, cancer has been cured!

terenc wrote: »

sorry but your a fool

Wow a video. Everybody, cancer has been cured!

you have defo not had time to watch the vid ,, so please do ,

and why comment on something . when you have not at least gave it a chance ...

• Advertisement

you have defo not had time to watch the vid ,, so please do ,

and why comment on something . when you have not at least gave it a chance ...

Check this video. It has a machine that can heal the world, using the Searl effect. IT IS FACT. Watch the video. OPEN YOUR EYES. Video = Fact.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement