Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah & Steve

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭lifelonglufc

I have to say I watched both Dan & Becs and Sarah & Steve and have to say was far more impressed with Sarah and Steve!

I laughed more in the first episode than throughout all of Dan & Becs!

I thought it was simple, good comedy. It's something so many can relate to!
    Kudos to RTE for once, providing us with quality entertainment.

The final episode wasn't what I had expected either, very very good ending.

All I can say is I certainly hope Emmet Kirwan and David Coffey are pushed into bigger writing roles for RTE, and that they are given the support to do so! It's these kind of programs that we need on RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deckydunbar

Pure muck. This country's standards are so, so low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Pretty similar to Dan & Becs in many ways, but thought it was a poorer offering. The female lead's bipolar accent wasn't too convincing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pure muck. This country's standards are so, so low.

I think there are two things to say about this comment: -

1. There are things that you like and there are things that you don't like. Many people seem to like this, when you look at some of the much and low standards coming out of the US in more recent years we must assume that the world has very low standards.
    2. If you have read any of the posts about other shows produced for RTÉ Two in the last 3 months you can say with out a shadow of a doubt that most people in this country have far higher standards than RTÉ seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Elmo wrote: »
    I think there are two things to say about this comment: -

1. There are things that you like and there are things that you don't like. Many people seem to like this, when you look at some of the much and low standards coming out of the US in more recent years we must assume that the world has very low standards.
    2. If you have read any of the posts about other shows produced for RTÉ Two in the last 3 months you can say with out a shadow of a doubt that most people in this country have far higher standards than RTÉ seem to think.

There's a lot of top draw stuff coming out of the US the past few years also, comparing it to Ireland is pointless.

I'm not a big Sarah and Steve fan but i must say it's actually a cut above the sh1te the RTE are producing these days, it's not much but it's something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The female lead's bipolar accent wasn't too convincing either.

FFS, how many times, she's from Tallaght, how can someone from Tallaght not have a convincing accent ? Or is it that you're just prejudiced in that you expect everyone from Tallaght to speak with the stereotypical skanger accent ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There's a lot of top draw stuff coming out of the US the past few years also, comparing it to Ireland is pointless.

Shows like: -

Desperate Housewives
    Grey's Anotomy
    CSI
    CSI:Miami
    CSI: NY
    NCIS
    NCIS: LA
    Private Practice
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Hills
    The OC
    Melrose Place
    The List is Endless

Fair enough there are a huge amount of quality American drama (comedy :( ), but I actually believe that S&S come up to the standards of some of the most popular US TV currently on air, but I don't believe that that is saying very much. Some people like those shows, some don't. To say that Irish Viewers have low standards when you look at allot of programmes from other countries is just pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jip wrote: »
    FFS, how many times, she's from Tallaght, how can someone from Tallaght not have a convincing accent ? Or is it that you're just prejudiced in that you expect everyone from Tallaght to speak with the stereotypical skanger accent ?!
    She puts on a thicker accent that she has had in any interview. You can hear it slip sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And your point being ? The thicker accent is still correct, I don't understand how people think it's unconvincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jip wrote: »
    And your point being ? The thicker accent is still correct, I don't understand how people think it's unconvincing.
    You asked how can someone from Tallaght not have a convincing accent. I've told you that she wasn't speaking with her normal accent through out. It doesn't matter if both accents come from the same area, slipping between the two can be jarring.

And being from a certain area doesn't guarantee you speak in a certain way. I'm from the northside of Dublin and people think I sound Canadian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

robbie_998 wrote: »
    yes im serious !

Lol :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement