Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah & Steve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Enii wrote: »
    The language is a disgrace...... Do they have to say F$&k so much?

Do you sit by your television waiting to be offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

As a Dubliner I have to disagree with you.
    As a Dubliner I'd have to disagree with you. If you knew anyone like Steve you'd hear them swearing constantly. Without the swearing it'd just sound completely fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

humanji wrote: »
    As a Dubliner I'd have to disagree with you. If you knew anyone like Steve you'd hear them swearing constantly. Without the swearing it'd just sound completely fake.

Fair enough, I don't hang around with people who curse all the time like this pair from Tallaght. People in my workplace also don't curse. In actual fact I don't come across many people who curse like this in my day to day life.

However, I do remember seeing a group of Irish in (of all places) a Tommy Hilfiger store in a Newark mall cursing away at each other. I don't think I was ever more embarrassed to be Irish as they all "f&8in' agreed how cheap everything was" - as most people know in places like the States you would not hear this amount of cursing in polite company or out in public.

This is my whole point about programmes with this amount of cursing - it legitimises cursing (which really is not acceptable). Judging from all the replies obviously my view is the minority and most people are fine to mouth off (not caring whether is is offensive to people around them).

I switched off this programme after a min or two due to the foul langauge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

liked dan & becks and this was just as good. prob more laugh out loud funny. defo thumbs up on this.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I switched off this programme after a min or two due to the foul langauge.

Yes so we gathered from your first post. You don't like bad language on TV, we get it. Some of us don't mind it.

Do you have any other points about the show?

Rondolfus wrote: »
    People have already commented on the accents being "forced". This is certainly true.

I don't believe they are. The two actors are from Tallaght, if anyone is going to get a Tallaght accent right you'd presume it would be two young actors who were born and raised there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 doomedtofail

Crotchety wrote: »
    Sarah and Steve is a lot better than Daniel and Becks. The cursing is a part of our country and more importantly a common feature of a Dubliner.

Sigh. What a heroically inept and ridiculous generalisation

This was one of the worst thing's I have ever had the misfortune to watch on RTE (includes the Panel)

Awful script, awful language employed when they didn't know what else to put in the characters mouths, awful accents, awful premise

Awful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So doomedtofail, you found the accents, language and mannerisms unrealistic after the time you spent living in Tallaght for comparison purposes, correct ?

Sigh. What a heroically inept and ridiculous generalisation

This was one of the worst thing's I have ever had the misfortune to watch on RTE (includes the Panel)

Awful script, awful language employed when they didn't know what else to put in the characters mouths, awful accents, awful premise

Awful...

this and dan and becs are something good on rte. funny and very well scripted IMO. dave coffey(dan) involved in both. short 10 minute episode so you wont get sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Why do people get so offended by the odd fu*k or cu*t or bas*ard in a sentence. It just goes into the mix and doesn't really mean to much. Soon society - in maybe 10 generations time won't be offended by a dic*head or a cu*t smeller. It's like how women were not allowed to show their legs years ago.

You must never have seen The English Class or The Roaring Twenties then.

I envy you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The phrase "from the makers of Dan & Becs" put me right off clicking the links.......that was too ****e for words.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Didn't laugh once. Mildly amusing at a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

I live and work in Tallaght - bring my kids up here, I was cringing at the thoughts of what this was going to be like, I thought it was absolutely hilarious, honest and real to many young people in Tallaght - after your woman who is also I believe living in Tallaght - Catherine something who had a sketch show and the way she portrayed Tallaght I am always fearful of what way people from Tallaght are going to be put across. I was pleasantly surprised and am looking forward to the next episode - I hope they can keep up the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Katherine Lynch's characters are caricatures, far-fetched comedy stereotypes. Sarah and Steve is a doc-u-soap so the characters need to be grounded in reality. It does neither justice to compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mewso wrote: »
    Didn't laugh once. Mildly amusing at a stretch.

Things can just be mildly amusing and still be good. I didn't think it was LOL funny but it was enjoyable and isn't that what TV is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Absolute over-written junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

laugh wrote: »
    Absolute over-written junk.

How is 10 mins over written?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Should have called it Niamh and Steve.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Should have called it Niamh and Steve.

Or Eve and Steve?

"chop that little mullet of him".......very funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

humanji wrote: »
    What I was trying to say is that in Dan & Becs the accent wasn't that much of a stretch from the actors actual accents. But in this, the accents sound completely like two people pretending to be skangers. It just sounds off.
    I thought that was more noticeable in tonight's episode. The female lead does seem to regularly slip between two different accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

ha just seen 2nites episode pissed myself laughin when he was on about "the red one" blockin the shower ha ha thought it was quite funny :)

have to admit tho..

i was hiiiiiiigh lol

And the crack heads livin on the 9th hole of the crazy golf course lol

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

I thought that was more noticeable in tonight's episode. The female lead does seem to regularly slip between two different accents.

thats true, she sounded a bit more of an OMG than an AJH in one sentence :)

Likin' this series though...was in stitches at the story of her mate falling asleep on the shower plughole and flooding the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I thought that too.

I actually really liked last nights episode. Talking about the red-headed friend was hilarious (especially the shower bit :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought it was great again.

Worried me slightly though as I've microwaved boxers while away on holiday myself, not sure what that says about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Good episode alright. Watched it in bed and felt something shaking, turned to my left and realised it was my wife trying to hold her laughter in during the whole shower scene description, super turbo deadly. I found myself agreeing with Steve about his description of Irish bars when abroad, my sentiments exactly, but that must be because I'm from Tallaght too :p

"It was getting towards the end of the holiday and I was running out of clothes.... well clean ones anyway."

Don't know why but I thought that line was great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I thought it was alright, it's got potential. Wasn't really into Dan & Becs

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

I laughed out loud a few times at this. Tis hilarious

It's a bit over exaggerated but I do know people who go on like this, which makes it funnier

Oh and to that person saying they don't come across cursing like this in their life, what planet are you on? The Irish are terrible for cursing, maybe your circle of friends arn't but a lot of people do talk in this way.

Get over yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Oh and to that person saying they don't come across cursing like this in their life, what planet are you on? The Irish are terrible for cursing, maybe your circle of friends arn't but a lot of people do talk in this way.

Get over yourself!

So what's your point?

Just because a lot of Irish people curse I should just relax and enjoy it? Eh, I don't think so......

Maybe you should consider how other people feel about cursing and how it reflects on the people who curse.

Have you ever visited other countries. Have you ever heard a French or Spanish person F-ing and blinding on a street corner as they discuss their weekend or a TV programme they watched?
    I doubt it. Because you know what? They have manners, they know how to act politely.......us Irish on the other hand are uncouth and certainly not polite...........

Why people believe cursing in everyday life is acceptable is beyond me. And just because every one does it is not a reason for it to be the correct way to act......maybe you should "get over yourself"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement