Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah & Steve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm thinking Car Crash. I quite liked Dan & Becs, but can't see myself watching this.

With Dan & Becs you could almost believe that they were really those people. With Sarah & Steve they look like D4 people taking the piss out of skangers, but doing it with terrible accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Eh, the girl playing Sarah is from Tallaght !

I think it looks quite good from the snippets on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 listerdave

Yeah both the actors are from Tallaght and the guy who plays Steve wrote it.

But they are very well spoken, as in they don't have skanger accents. When they were doing Dan & Becs they just had to exaggerate their own accents. With this one they are putting on completely new ones and they just sound like people putting on an accent.

I just get the feeling that they're milking their original idea. It might turn out good, but I honestly can't expect it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Two minutes of it and I've already laughed more than the entire series of Dan and Becs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

The language is a disgrace...... Do they have to say F$&k so much?

If they want to be accurate - yeah.

I'm switching off...... I find it offensive to be subjected to so much cursing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I think this is very funny "Lets wreck the bleedin gaff" :D

Ah that was shìte. It's not a patch on Dan & Becs. I suppose that didn't start off too well and but picked up, so we'll see.

• Advertisement

I thought it was very funny, miles ahead of Dan and Becs, which I couldn't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the problem, series two more, money so lets buy new cameras, oops we just lost the credibilty, the guild did this , it was also supposed to a webcam series, like dan and becs partly was, they get to a second series get money to buy shiny news cameras and lose any sense of the roughness that made it believeable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

humanji wrote: »
    But they are very well spoken, as in they don't have skanger accents. When they were doing Dan & Becs they just had to exaggerate their own accents. With this one they are putting on completely new ones and they just sound like people putting on an accent.

I just get the feeling that they're milking their original idea. It might turn out good, but I honestly can't expect it to.

jesus mate, not everyone in tallaght has the stereotypical skanger accents

believe it or not, some people are actually well spoken

What I was trying to say is that in Dan & Becs the accent wasn't that much of a stretch from the actors actual accents. But in this, the accents sound completely like two people pretending to be skangers. It just sounds off.

We'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humanji wrote: »
    What I was trying to say is that in Dan & Becs the accent wasn't that much of a stretch from the actors actual accents. But in this, the accents sound completely like two people pretending to be skangers. It just sounds off.

We'll see how it goes.

Since the actors are both from Tallaght the accents aren't that much of a stretch from their actual accents either.

I've seen a few episodes of this and I think it's warmer and funnier than Dan and Becs - the characters are more likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I've never watched Dan and Becs, so can't really compare it. But I found myself in a heap laughing at this. Was very well scripted and acted, and yes while the language got a bit over the top it never really bothered me.

It was turbo deadly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Laughed out loud a few times, thought the characters were believable and the dialogue is obviously authentic. Can't believe there are still people out there who are offended by 'language'. What country do they live in? This is the way people speak. It's RTE 2 late in the evening, not RTE 1 in the afternoon.

Also, Sarah...turbo-cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

As one of the resident "RTE are sh**e at comedy brigade"

Thats Turbo Rapid Super Whopper Deadly:o:rolleyes:

Id say it has a short shelf life but will be good craic while it lasts!

As for the language and that
    SHOCKING!!!
    None of this usin words and the likes, they should do it in mime!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I liked it, way more than I did Dan and Becs.

Anyone that gets offended when someone says fcuk at 10:50 p.m. should stick to watching tv before the watershed!

elshambo wrote: »
    Id say it has a short shelf life but will be good craic while it lasts!

I wouldnt' say that. The fact that each episode is so short keeps everything nice and tight. The format worked really well for Dan & Becs and should do just as well, if not better for this one. With a little luck, this will do well and the creators can go an make bigger and better shows and we'll never have to deal with Baz's Culture Clash or the Byrne Ultimatum again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Fantaschtic Shchow

fisgon wrote: »
    This is the way people speak.

I don't speak like this.

I really don't like the way TV programmes normalise cursing and makes it seem as if it is acceptable in day to day life for people to curse in regular conversation with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Enii wrote: »
    I don't speak like this.

I really don't like the way TV programmes normalise cursing and makes it seem as if it is acceptable in day to day life for people to curse in regular conversation with each other.

Cursing in regular conversation is quite acceptable amongst young people from Dublin and indeed from all over Ireland. This show accurately reflects that.

If you take offence at it then I suggest you don't watch it.

But to say that TV programs normalise or cause people to curse is just wrong. Believe me Irish people were cursing in spades long before they saw people saying sh*t, f*ck and boll*cks on TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I don't speak like this.

Maybe you should get out more :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

thought it was quite funny in parts will give it another look next weeka nd see how it develops. as for the cursing i am afraid it is just reflective of society as it is now, just listen to conversations going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't speak like this.

I would generally give out about swearing from a scripting point of view and an acting point of veiw but in this case the both pulled it off, as I bearly noticed it and thats what you need. The show goes out at 11pm at night far past the watershed.

It was more enjoyable than Dan and Becs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The only really decent home-grown comedy as of late is Hardy Bucks. The Office English Class, Dan and Becs and this thing are derivative and desperately unfunny. While the aforementioned Hardy Bucks does have similarities to other shows, at least it's funny. Very very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Sarah and Steve is a lot better than Daniel and Becks. The cursing is a part of our country and more importantly a common feature of a Dubliner.

Crotchety wrote: »
    The cursing is a part of our country and more importantly a common feature of a Dubliner.

As a Dubliner I have to disagree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

People have already commented on the accents being "forced". This is certainly true. But the real reason I hate it , is because it reinforces stereotypes... the stereotype being that Irish TV execs cannot spot a decent comedy if it they were smashed in the face with it.

"Hardy Bucks" should get their own series. Its genuine funny Irish comedy. Lets hope they are not forced abroad to be recognised like most of our decent comedians.

We seem to be always left with crap like this, or with idiots like Jason Byrne or Tommy "king of the boggers" Tiernan, while the cream of the crop like Dylan Moran and Dave Allen settle abroad. Shame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement