Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah & Steve

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Enii wrote: »
    Have you ever heard a French or Spanish person F-ing and blinding on a street corner as they discuss their weekend or a TV programme they watched?

Ah, I see you live in the movie world where every foreigner speaking to each other when an American or Englander is within ear shot speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So what's your point?

Just because a lot of Irish people curse I should just relax and enjoy it? Eh, I don't think so......

Maybe you should consider how other people feel about cursing and how it reflects on the people who curse.

Have you ever visited other countries. Have you ever heard a French or Spanish person F-ing and blinding on a street corner as they discuss their weekend or a TV programme they watched?
    I doubt it. Because you know what? They have manners, they know how to act politely.......us Irish on the other hand are uncouth and certainly not polite...........

Why people believe cursing in everyday life is acceptable is beyond me. And just because every one does it is not a reason for it to be the correct way to act......maybe you should "get over yourself"
    The characters are based on stereotypes and those stereotypes swear. If the characters didn't, the show wouldn't work at all. It just wouldn't be realistic and the lack of swearing would be more distracting that having the swearing in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Have you ever heard a French or Spanish person F-ing and blinding on a street corner as they discuss their weekend or a TV programme they watched?

Yes; Yes I have!
    More likely to be about football or politics due to them not being married to the TV like us, but thems forgieen types do love a good auld swear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

So what's your point?

Have you ever visited other countries. Have you ever heard a French or Spanish person F-ing and blinding on a street corner as they discuss their weekend or a TV programme they watched?
    I doubt it. Because you know what? They have manners, they know how to act politely.......us Irish on the other hand are uncouth and certainly not polite...........quote]

Are you for real? Or is this a wind-up? (There have been a few of them on this forum recently)

Assuming you are serious, do you speak French or Spanish? Because if you did you would know that both nationalities, like every nationality, curse and swear freely and fluently. The Spanish especially swear so much and so casually it would make us Irish sound like a bunch of nuns. So if you're going to make a point try and check that you know what you're talking about.

If you don't like swearing, fine, don't watch the programme. But don't pretend that you are somehow morally superior because yoiu don't in fact use a natural and fundamental part of most people's speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Saw an ad for this the other night. I can't say I've cringed more at anything else I've ever seen, it was awful. Maybe the actual show is good, but if that's the case the don't show the ad.

The male character (assuming Steve) said something like "Free gaff man! 6 Dutch!" and held them up to the camera. It looked and sounded awful. I think if you're going to pull off this kind of humour you have to be very very genuine, and they just sounded and acted fake and staged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sudharao85

Hey

I first saw this on tuesday and thought it was hillarious. The characters, accents and all were spot on and a nice change to see that not all of dublin like myself being represented as D4 posh or exaggerated northside skanger, most people in dublin are a happy mix of neither.

PS: does anybody recognise where the series theme music is form, It sounds like OASIS, but i cant tell which song, I may be wrong too, so if anyone knows,

Take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It's on in the background here. A few times I've turned around wondering why they're reading from a book. Then I find they're actually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭trisodioum

yea anyone know what the theme tune is?! Sounds like coldplay maybe but not sure!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Elmo wrote: »
    How is 10 mins over written?

Trying to make too many wise cracks one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

in the latest trailer when sarah says "spare me" she's at her sexiest. discuss. fu(c I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

sudharao85 wrote: »

PS: does anybody recognise where the series theme music is form, It sounds like OASIS, but i cant tell which song, I may be wrong too, so if anyone knows,

It's The Cedar Room by Doves.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭trisodioum

It's The Cedar Room by Doves.

Thanks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is on now.

Overact much, EH???!!!!

This is rubbish of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Thought the latest episode was an improvement on the previous weeks. The stereotypes were more aggregated, but this possibly made it more amusing. The first two episodes seemed as if they were reluctant to offend some people.
    I doubt it. Because you know what? They have manners, they know how to act politely.......us Irish on the other hand are uncouth and certainly not polite
    Yet you sound determined to be offended. I'm far from recommending cursing as something admirable. But clearly you've never been in the company of a Spanish or Italian male while watching their football team being beaten. Irish people certainly don't have the monopoly on swearing. If you want to point out our cultural flaws there are probably far better examples you could choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HaroldShelley

Watched it just now. I don't know whether it's a problem with the accents so much as the script seeming to be a slave to the accent. Every sentence contains a different Dublin colloquialism, so much so that the characters are laced with caricature.

It's a lack of sophistication or care in the writing that makes it seem like they're "taking the piss" out of working class people and that's the issue more than where they creators/actors are from.

The acting's a bit poor, too, I have to say. It's a bit..."speech and drama" and really detracts from the diary style they're going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its bleeding great

It's a lack of sophistication or care in the writing that makes it seem like they're "taking the piss" out of working class people

I wouldn't agree at all. I realised after last weeks episode I'm originally from the area that Sarah is supposed to be from, Fettercairn, know the area well that Steve is supposed to be from, Springfield, and also Glenshane which was mentioned and think it's spot on. There's no feeling that they're taking the piss and they have the characters spot on imo. Haven't watched last nights episode yet but last weeks one was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

its really funny, i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

turbo deadly

Yep, continues to be very good. Rather than patronising, as a Tallaght native I think it's pretty damn accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Does anyone outside of Dublin give a **** about these types of show?

Asmodean wrote: »

You obviously do if you came in here to read about it ! Back to the whest with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

sarah isnt bad either is she...:o

Asmodean wrote: »

Maybe not, but does anyone outside of Dublin really matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Eat it. Eat it. Eat the penguin."

I found it retained its charm for me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Watched it for the first time last night and laughed for most of it. Found the characters to be very endearing. Compared to Dan & Becs who I just wanted to smack over the head and found to be far from funny

Loved the Mopehead and Credit Union bit, ‘Suppose is practical but not really a present’ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

"Madjowuvi" !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I've seen the first two and i think its great.

At first I fould Steve's accent a little hard to believe at times, but after a few mins i got used to it.

There are some hilarious lines in it, describing his dead Granny looking over his shoulder while he was riding all fat birds had me in stitches. And the big red bird in the shower.

And about the cursing being a dubliner who lives in Barcelona I can say that the residents of this city that i've encountered on the street on average swear just as much if not more than the average dubliners i've encountered. It just took me a while to learn them all before i realised there were being used so often.

I've no problem with cursing on a tv show as long as its used as part of the jokes and isn't simply a substitute for good writing/jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's turbo-deadly.
    "D'yiz want any yolks?":D
    "I love you, chung felih.":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Just watched the first 3 episodes on RTE's webplayer and really found it pretty damm funny and the best comedy RTE's put out since well ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement