Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vampire Diaries [US] **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

the CW have produced some gems such as Supernatural and Reaper

Well, no, not really. Supernatural and Smallville carried over from the WB, before it merged with UPN and became the CW. The CW produced shows have very clearly gone for the teen girl demographic and don't care much about anyone else these days.

Reaper was brilliant but barely survived cancellation the first year and promptly got the axe by season 2.

Back to the Vampire Diaries and yes, it was terrible... Ian Somerhalder's make up makes him look like the ultimate creepo (and he looks much older than the rest of the cast) - when he was smiling at the blonde chick in the end, it dialed up the creepiness to 10...

The ring explanation for walking around in the daylight is pretty lame too - and of course both brothers have one. Is there like a vampire essentials shop that sells them or something?

I've never had the misfortune of watching Twilight but given everything I've heard about it, I don't think I ever will, but I'm judging this show on its' own. I definitely was bored throughout and kept watching the clock - definitely not a good sign.

Still, I'll give it three episodes like I do with most shows. But unless the next couple of episodes are seriously better, I just can't see myself watching this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

iguana wrote: »
    FYP :p

My bad! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Vampire Diairies drew an impressive 4.91 million viewers in its debut last night, making it The CW’s most-watched premiere ever

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Alright, I'm about to watch the pilot. If it is crap I will never be able to see Richard Dower as anything other than the most enthusiastic tv viewer on boards. I know he professes to be cynical and hard to please, but he seems very pleased with everything I've read that he has watched.

Egads! This is terrible, it's like an extended music video.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was about to watch the pilot tonight... but decided to count how many grains of rice were in a bag of rice!

Probably more enthralling than the show..

Maybe tomorrow.. maybe not.. more than likely not..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Alright, I'm about to watch the pilot. If it is crap I will never be able to see Richard Dower as anything other than the most enthusiastic tv viewer on boards. I know he professes to be cynical and hard to please, but he seems very pleased with everything I've read that he has watched.

You gotta be kidding?...i've slated shows, but like everyone we all have different tastes, I'm a self admitted teeny bopper who openly admits to liking shows on The CW and ABC Family most people would dare never watch.

Whereas i'd generally avoid Showtime or HBO shows which would be praised here. I said VD was `OK`, i did not praise it ti high heavens at all.

Read again, i said it was OK but very generic and that i would give it a few eps.
    I'll sight an example, Make It Or Break It....i wasn't impressed at all by the pilot, but i stuck it out and really like the show.

Dollhouse, i was very sceptical about it, the first 5 eps. were crap....but then BOOM!, ep. 6 and i was hooked. All series have dodgy episodes, i'm a fan of CSI but conceed series 9 was weak, thank god for Hodges!

Vampire after one ep. is dodgy as hell but i'll give it a few. Gossip Girl is tosh but i switch off and take it for what it is.

I'm highly cynical but when i like something i'm happy to say i'm happy.

basquille wrote: »
    I was about to watch the pilot tonight... but decided to count how many grains of rice were in a bag of rice!

Probably more enthralling than the show..

Maybe tomorrow.. maybe not.. more than likely not..!

This coming from the man who hates The Big Bang Theory :rolleyes:
    What was the result of the poll again?...oh yeah, like two thirds loved it with a record poll vote for Boards.

Jaysus.. is it that time of the month Richard?
    This coming from the man who hates The Big Bang Theory :rolleyes:
    I never said anywhere I hated 'The Big Bang Theory'..

I don't think it's funny whatsoever, has stereotypical unfunny characters, piss-poor writing and generally not much about it that I enjoyed.

After watching the entire first season in a weekend, I felt absolutely no obligation to watch the second season. That's quite rare for me.. as normally when i invest time in watching a full season of a show, I'll keep watching!

But I've defended outright blasting of it - see here and here.
    What was the result of the poll again?...oh yeah, like two thirds loved it with a record poll vote for Boards.
    A record poll vote for Boards? Where you pulling that statistic from?

People clearly enjoy it.. I don't. Good for them!

Why are criticising my comment? I was making a joke at the majority of negative opinions towards the pilot. You really need to start some of my posts with a pinch of salt (or grain of rice), and stop over-reacting.

Well.. the pilot was pretty damn woeful to be honest!

First you have those woeful out-of-place lines ("Hi Bird!" - you're in a cemetary talking to a crow.. no wonder vampires find you attractive.. you're all kind of crazy!), then you have the idiotic characters (who I'm sorry but they might as well have been faceless as they lack both charisma and any discerning talent), and a plot that's about as deep as a paddling pool. And isn't fog terrifying?!

Then you have Ian Somerhalder (who can be an very good - see The Rules of Attraction) but when he popped up in this, all I could think of was someone took a photo of Rob Lowe, and said it's good but can he have a lot more make-up and look a bit more like a sex offender?

rob_lowe240-1.jpgsmall_taylorblue_Ian_Somerhalder_36976_vampire_diaries_new_a.jpg

Not very good at all unfortunutely.. but teenage girls will lap this sh*t up!

But worst of all, the only thing I enjoyed was some of the music as it resembled my iPod.

MGMT - Kids
    Placebo - Running Up That Hill
    White Lies - Death

OT: I'm gonna have to disagree with LilyCullen on the Placebo cover of Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' as I think they did a great service to that song. Not to everyone's taste but at least it's vastly different to the original which I think all cover songs should be, in the very least.

• Advertisement

If I want to watch vampires while listening to Placebo I'll watch the Daybreakers trailer. After tomorrow it will be my most looked forward to vampire story.;)

You gotta be kidding? ...................................... I'm highly cynical but when i like something i'm happy to say i'm happy.

And this from someone who likes The Big Bang Theory!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, I'm just teasing.

If I want to watch vampires while listening to Placebo I'll watch the Daybreakers trailer. After tomorrow it will be my most looked forward to vampire story.;)
    Oh God yes.. almost forgot the 'True Blood' finale!

And then the long wait for season 3! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Saw this online, but haven't watched it yet!
    I'm a huge True Blood fan so I'm hoping it might be something similar...

Is it worth watching?

I'm a huge True Blood fan so I'm hoping it might be something similar...
    It's not and..
    Is it worth watching?
    .. not particularly!

I suggest you give the previous two pages a view.. not many good opinions of the pilot bar Richard and CaptainNegative.

Episode 2 drops tonight....will the high ratings continue?, will VD haters be converted?...will ep. 2 be any better?

We'll find out tonight (in the AM) :-)

We'll find out tonight (in the AM) :-)

Do you ever sleep? :)

This is the show's second chance for me - if things do not really pick up by episode 3, that's it, not watching any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Second episode sucked and I'm done with this show... it's hardly even about vampires.

Second episode sucked and I'm done with this show... it's hardly even about vampires.

Sounds promising :rolleyes:...

Oh well, have to watch Supernatural, The Office, Fringe, Parks and Recreation, Community, Glee and then eventually get around to this :)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there are vd haters and there are 13yr old girls, which one are you.. :|

• Advertisement

there are vd haters
    Venerial disease? :confused:

Venerial disease? :confused:

I most definitely hate those, yes :D.

I thought it was better then the pilot, and i genuinely jumped a couple of times.

Yes it was better than the pilot,but that's not saying much. It was still rubbish. As CaptainNegative said,its hardly about vampires. Its basically teen "angst" and love stories like the OC,One Tree Hill etc except two of the guys just happen to be vampires,and quite boring ones at that.

Still dropped by a good bit in total viewers and I can see it drop further.I reckon it will average at just under 3million,which is actually good for the CW but still,its a crap show...so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

The second episode was slightly better than the first, which is not saying much. Anyone else hoped Sam or Dean was going to come along and drive a stake through your man's heart while he was staring at Elena (would make a funny Supernatural episode)?

Sarn wrote: »
    Anyone else hoped Sam or Dean was going to come along and drive a stake through your man's heart while he was staring at Elena (would make a funny Supernatural episode)?

That would be awesome and probably the only other episode I'd watch. Yes, second episode was better than the pilot but still, overall pretty craptacular. CaptainEyebrows and EmoCreep are the sorriest excuse for vampires ever seen in a show...

Well for me, i personally would like to see more of the forbidden vampire romance angle then two brothers sucking off hot girls in odd places....oops, that sounded durty :-)

I'm not sure if the producers know what angle they want, is it vampires or a love story, or both?
    How far can the whole vampire angle go?....surely the local will go a-huntin' on their vampire asses?

And it's a small town, won't they run ot of hot chicks to munch on??.....i bet they'll have a Catholic girls school in season 2 :-)

• Advertisement

then two brothers sucking off hot girls in odd places....oops, that sounded durty :-)
    "My freaking ears!" :eek:

Advertisement