Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vampire Diaries [US] **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

This Twilight type show launches in the US on The CW Thursday, The Vampire Diaries actually predated the Twilight books so it'll be intereting to see what they do, but tbh i suspect it'll be a rip of Twlight, teen angst/forbidden vampire love etc.

Not seen any promos or know anything much else, i tend to avoid ALL info on shows, spoilers tend to spoil...so i'll just watch it afresh.

Nice to see the Autumn schedule kicking in, hopefully it'll be a good season :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Heads up!...tis on tonight in the US, should drop in the AM Friday ova here :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

So this is the tv version of Twillight?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

One can only hope! :eek:

633770402664431690-emos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Vampires walking around in the daylight is just so wrong...

Saw a promo for this on iTunes, TBH, it looks way too lame and chick flick styled to care about it... I'll probably watch the pilot but once fall TV is back in full swing, I don't have high hopes for this...

I'm off to watch it soon, in general i tend to watch CW shows...but not sure about this one.

• Advertisement

So i watched it, twas just OK....nothing groundbreaking. Pretty generic vampire love tosh. But i have to note the show does have some good producers and writers on the show. Noteable is Julie Plec (Kyle XY) and Kevin Williamson (Dawsons Creek), they both co-wrote the Teleplay.

It does remind ALOT of Twlight, but i'm not convinced by the chemistry of the lead actors, the girl is hot...an Avril Levine lookalike, it's too early to tell if it will get interesting, i'll give it a few eps. and see then.

I am not a fan at all of vampire or supernatural type stuff, Buffy bored me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well to give the other perspective, I love Vampire stuff and I quite enjoyed the pilot. It seems to have a lot of potential. And those who were worried by the promos and seeing the vampires in daylight, don't worry that issue is addressed in this episode, and the whole mythology we're used to does seem more or less in tact. As for the whole CW girly drama aspect, it is actually quite tolerable in this - while it plays a major role in the show, the show does seem to be closer to the Supernatural/Smallville end of things than the 90210/Gossip Girl stuff.
    It was only the first episode, so difficult to judge, but I can already see an interesting story developing and think that anyone who likes the usual vampire stuff (Buffy/Angel/True Blood etc.) should give the first episode a look.
    To be honest I'd probably describe it as a cross between True Blood and Dawson's Creek.

To be honest I'd probably describe it as a cross between True Blood and Dawson's Creek.
    So.. it's essentially 'Twilight'?

basquille wrote: »

I haven't seen Twilight so I don't know.

Hehe!...pwned! :D

• Advertisement

I haven't seen Twilight so I don't know.

It's Twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I haven't seen Twilight

I wish I had your eyes.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

So let me get this straight. She's what 18? And he's like 200 years old.

I'll just leave this here....

ChrisHanson3.png

Ha.. and..

Twilight.jpg

OK.. enough 'Twilight' bashing for one thread!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

On Dawson's Creek they had sex, on True Blood they have a lot of sex. Isn't Twilight all about celibacy? Do these guys have sex? If they have do it's obviously not Twilighty.

Wow...it did well!: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/11/tv-ratings-thursday-nfl-kickoff-all-vampire-diaries-takes-a-good-first-bite-supernatural-is-less-super/26822

CW will be pleased with those numbers "Vampire Diaries stormed out of the gate, scoring 4.84 million viewers, The CW’s largest audience ever for a series premiere, topping last year’s 90210 debut."

It's the Twilight effect!....teeny girls seem to love thiis stuff :-)

iguana wrote: »
    On Dawson's Creek they had sex, on True Blood they have a lot of sex. Isn't Twilight all about celibacy? Do these guys have sex? If they have do it's obviously not Twilighty.

It has only been referenced to so far, but it looks like sex will play a major role.

Um, it's The CW!!....there HAS to be teenage sex, unless these vampires are celibate. But with their good looks and blood lust i guess they'll bang half the town by end of year

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

OK.. enough 'Twilight' bashing for one thread!

Actually sorry,I can't do that. Because Twilight was utter tosh and so was this. It was basically the tv version of Twilight. It says spoilers in the title so I will not be using spoiler tags,just to let you know in case you have not seen it yet.

Vampires in daylight-NO! I don't care if you do have some stupid ring that protects you from the sun,still no. There was an episode of Angel where he managed to get his hands on a similar type ring and he ends up destroying it for whatever reason,can't really remember but it was a decent reason in the show but more importantly in terms of plotlines and the show itself,it made perfect sense. I don't want to see vampires going to high school ffs!

The main vampire was boring as hell,even Bill Compton in True Blood is far more interesting. Oh and he keeps diaries as does our lead woman...fantastic,they are meant for each other :rolleyes: Oh and our main lead is somehow identical to some chick main vampire he knew in the 1800's.

The "bad" vampire,i.e Boone from Lost just looks like some annoying emo who did not seem scary at all despite killing a few people. In fact he just seemed like a rather silly emo who had a bloke with a smoke machine follow him around and a crow...The vampires in True Blood were actually scary without all this nonsense.

The token black best friend randomly brings up some story about her grandma or some relative saying her ancestors were psychic and she must be too. Low and behold she later has a vision.Sookie Stackhouse she aint!

"Mystic Falls"- enough said.

I am finding hard to think of other things because mainly I was bored for the entire episode.That is never good. You may notice I don't think I posted any character's names because I was too bored to remember any of them. On a side note,the acting was pants-every single one of them.

So I was bored and annoyed,like I was when I watched Twilight. But not more annoyed than I was when I saw the ratings today,in its Twilight type early 8pm slot it brought in the Twilight crowd with great ratings whereas only 67% stayed and watched Supernatural afterwards which is what a show about the supernatural should be like,dark, gritty, well written and acted.Yet Supernatural gets less ratings.The fact that the majority of viewers for Vampire Diaries were young women probably explains it though.

I will watch the 2nd episode though,mainly because if I stopped watching every show after a bad pilot there would be several great shows I would have missed out on,True Blood for example. But I have a feeling this one won't be a keeper for me in the long run!

I don't think so,never read the books and never will but I read up about the storylines of the later books and
    I do believe sex is involved

• Advertisement

You can't blame The CW for jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, with New Moon out in December i'm sure it'll bolster the show further. I personally **hated** Twilight, boring those that had crap effects and dodgy wirework....i'll NEVER understand where the $39 million went????

BUT, comparing this show to Twilight.....it was more engaging, the characters seem more human. Kirsten Stewart looked like a drugged up skank in need of a happy meal....at least the chick in Vampire looks real hot and not gaunt and withdrawn.

I couldn't handle looking at the Twilight cast, with Vampire i can at least get through 43 mins.

You can't blame The CW for jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, with New Moon out in December i'm sure it'll bolster the show further. I personally **hated** Twilight, boring those that had crap effects and dodgy wirework....i'll NEVER understand where the $39 million went????

BUT, comparing this show to Twilight.....it was more engaging, the characters seem more human. Kirsten Stewart looked like a drugged up skank in need of a happy meal....at least the chick in Vampire looks real hot and not gaunt and withdrawn.

I couldn't handle looking at the Twilight cast, with Vampire i can at least get through 43 mins.

I never blamed the CW for anything,young women are actually their target demo,hence shows like 90210 and Melrose Place.They badly need viewers as well so in business terms it was a good idea.I never said anything about the network. I just said this show was pants and it really was.

Also can't for minute agree with you about the characters,they were bland,boring and stereotypical,and not in a funny way like Glee. The Twilight characters were also crap,I agree with you that Kristin Stewart looked terrible and acted badly,in fact that movie could have been ever so slightly better had it cast someone else in the leading role. But in Vampire Diaries (which I have to type the full name for as VD doesn't come across well!) the characters were just as bad. vampire Boone was an emo and not "bad" or scary like he was meant to be. That is just as worse.

Because it's on the CW I completely seeing it being One Tree Hill with Vampires (ie. not worth my time), but on the other hand the CW have produced some gems such as Supernatural and Reaper over the past few years, so it could turn out to be alright. Although, unless something spectacular happens in the second episode, I won't be continuing with the series, since the new season will be in full swing after next week and there's enough good stuff out there. I can see this series dropping in ratings once the other networks start their season, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

God, it was terrible. I love True Blood and Twilight but this...this is so disgracefully bad, and so unnecessarily emo..The placebo 'running up that hill' cover. It's all so americanised. It's dawsons creek but the jock character is secretly a violent emo. It has also 'borrowed' extremely heavily if not plagerised the entire concept of both true blood/twilight. the mind reading..the edward style dress..the obsessive stalkerness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I had the misfortune of watching Twilight although I did fast forward most of it. I won't be making the same mistake with this show

LilyCullen wrote: »
    It has also 'borrowed' extremely heavily if not plagerised the entire concept of both true blood/twilight. the mind reading..the edward style dress..the obsessive stalkerness

It has absolutely not done that. The first Vampire Diary was released 18 years ago in 1991. Dead Until Dark came out 10 years later and Twilight 14 years later. Diaries even predates the original stupid Buffy movie.

(I just need to clarify that I have never read or seen Twilight or VD, I came on the thread to see what the verdict on this show was to see if I'd bother watching. But I don't think it's fair to suggest an 18 year old series is copying newer material.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

I suggest you watch them all and note the similarities in how they are portayed on screen.

It has absolutely not done that. The first Vampire Diary was released 18 years ago in 1991. Dead Until Dark came out 10 years later and Twilight 15 years later. Diaries even predates the original stupid Buffy movie.

(I just need to clarify that I have never read or seen Twilight or VD, I came on the thread to see what the verdict on this show was to see if I'd bother watching. But I don't think it's fair to suggest an 18 year old series is copying newer material.)

Didn't know it was based on books,but I don't think any of these shows/movies "steal" from each other. all of these things like vampires,psychics,werewolfs etc are part of one lore that everyone borrows from.

LilyCullen wrote: »
    I suggest you watch them all and note the similarities in how they are portayed on screen.

Ye but he is saying The Vampire Diaries books were written before The Twilight Books and the books that True Blood is based on,so you can't say VD :o stole anything.

• Advertisement

tvnutz wrote: »
    Ye but she is saying The Vampire Diaries books were written before The Twilight Books and the books that True Blood is based on,so you can't say VD :o stole anything.

FYP :p

Advertisement