Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

wintear wrote: »
    Could Lagan be holding off completion because they have to pay sub contractors a lump when this is done?

Subcontractors would only be paid on a measured rate in most instances e.g. metre square, linear metre, tonne etc. A subcontractor will usually be paid at the end of every month when they would submit an interim valuation. On each months work the main contractor in this case lagans would stop retention at usually 5%. So let say for arguments sake the subcontractor is looking to be paid for installing for 100 metres of kerbing at 1 euro a metre. At the end of the month he will bill Lagans for 100 euro. They will give him 95 euro and hold the retention of 5% or in this case 5 euro. This will cover them in the event of the works failing or becoming defective. When the subcontractor has finished his works in total they will release 2.5% of the retention held, lets say in this case he will get 2.5 euro back. Then at the end of the defects period (a guarantee) which will be agreed between Lagans and the subcontractor at the start of the works he will get the final 2.5% or in this case 2.5 euro. In this instance the subcontractor will only ever get paid the maximum of 100 euro with the only exception being if he is entitled to further monies, e.g. compensation for damage to his works, delays to his schedule etc.

You have to realize in these situations Lagans will only get paid for the works that are completed also. As soon as the subcontractor goes to Lagans with his bill for the kerbing, they will in turn bill the concession company for payment for the installation of the kerbing.

the nature of subcontracting also ensures that if Lagans are paying him 100 euro for that section of kerbing, then will be billing the concession company for 100 euro plus their overheads and profits in this case might be 150 euro. The main contractor Lagans will only award a subcontract at a lesser rate for what they originally had it priced...their can be a very odd excption but thats for another day.

It is in everyones interest to get the works finished early. Main contractors will have overheads e.g. core engineering staff , vehicles, rent of offices etc. Every day they have to attend site it is costing them huge money to keep a site open and working. Lagans make money by getting works done on time...as is the case with the subcontractor.
    If i pay a painter €1000 to paint my house its in his interest to get in done in two days and not four days. His costs for loading his van and paying a man to hold the ladder are being reduced greatly for every day extra he is at my house...he will still only be getting the agreed 1000 euro. road building is no different.

So to answer your question i don't believe there is any valid reason that Lagans would be delaying finishing works so as not to pay subcontractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at bauilphuil corofin 25/05/16 pic1 looking towards rathmorrisy pic2 looking towards tuam

Rathmorrisy 25/05/16

The townland of castlelambert where the sixth flyover over the m17 will open on the 07/07/16( the first flyover after rathmorrisy)

The accommodation underpass outside tuam pic1 before pic2 after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

m17 wrote: »
    The accommodation underpass outside tuam pic1 before pic2 after

Could you drive a tractor etc. through this? Or is it for livestock only?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

jenningso wrote: »
    Could you drive a tractor etc. through this? Or is it for livestock only?

maybe a 35 with the roll bar taken off :D

The townland of cloontooa where the seventh flyover over the m17 will open on the 26/07/16

Rathmorrisy pic1 27/05/15 pic2 27/05/16

Annagh hill 27/05/16 pic1 looking towards rathmorrisy pic2 looking towards tuam

• Advertisement

Pics around tuam pics 1 and 2 bridge over the athenry to claremorris railway line pics 3 and 4 start of the flyover over the clare river pic5 the weir road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Pics around tuam pics 1 and 2 bridge over the athenry to claremorris railway line pics 3 and 4 start of the flyover over the clare river pic5 the weir road

That would be the river Nanny

red bull wrote: »
    That would be the river Nanny

Cheers red bull my mistake

The m17 outside corofin 29/05/16

The m17 around corofin the most advanced stage just click on the linkhttp://goo.gl/photos/f9a58S2vBjroXV5W6

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The m17 around corofin the most advanced stage just click on the linkhttp://goo.gl/photos/f9a58S2vBjroXV5W6
    Brilliant photos as ever m17, fair play.

Surely a phased opening will have to happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Absolutely excellent work M17. You are without doubt the best on the web for keeping us updated on progress.

If only we had an equivalent for the M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy motorway and the New Ross bypass !

I reckon the NRA or BAM should be paying you for PR

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Sorry for the typo - that should have read "...best on the web" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely a phased opening will have to happen here.
    I can't see it happening. This stretch is between the (future) roundabout south of Tuam and the N63 junction.

387291.png

It would make no sense, in advance of a full opening, to put traffic on the M17, and then have it come off at the N63 and go back in through Claregalway.

The only partial openings that make sense to me would be the Tuam bypass (unlikely, as a lot of work still to do there) and the M17 (which would require Rathmorrissey junction to be completed). I can't see either of these happening.

Some of M17's photos are misleading in that they show an advanced level of progress. I would however, draw your attention to his other photos which show less advancements. Not all of the M17 is as advanced as the section around Corofin (and in fairness to M17, he does state that, and his (non-tarmaced) photos show that).

As I've seen on other road threads, as soon as people see photos with a bit of tarmac on them - they get overexcited. "Are we there yet, are we there yet" replaced by "Is it open yet, is it open yet - aw, why isn't it open?" :D

The m17 corofin to tuam through the bog http://goo.gl/photos/1N7QFi7WYutc1gpR9

• Advertisement

VR6 wrote: »
    Absolutely excellent work M17. You are without doubt the best on the web for keeping us updated on progress.

If only we had an equivalent for the M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy motorway and the New Ross bypass !

I reckon the NRA or BAM should be paying you for PR
    Thanks a million it's very much appreciated

serfboard wrote: »
    Some of M17's photos are misleading in that they show an advanced level of progress. I would however, draw your attention to his other photos which show less advancements.

And, right on cue ...
    The m17 corofin to tuam through the bog http://goo.gl/photos/1N7QFi7WYutc1gpR9

Now for ye - these photos show the amount of work still to be done. Having said that though, 12 months will see an awful lot of progress on this stuff.

The m17 at laraghmore pic1 looking towards tuam pic2 looking towards rathmorrisy

The m17 in townland of bauilphuil corofin southbound lane getting tarmac 01/06/16 they have about 7kms done

Ballybanagher corofin pic1 01/06/15 pic 2 01/06/16

Kilcloghans flyover, 01/06/2016. Pic 1 The top of the flyover. Pic 2. Looking north (or actually northeast), with the roundabout at the end of the scheme in the distance. Pic 3 looking south through the flyover.

serfboard wrote: »
    Kilcloghans flyover, 01/06/2016. Pic 1 The top of the flyover. Pic 2. Looking north (or actually northeast), with the roundabout at the end of the scheme in the distance. Pic 3 looking south through the flyover.

That's the only flyover on the tuam bypass which will open on the 28/06/16

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That's the only flyover on the tuam bypass which will open on the 28/06/16

Is there any junctions on the Tuam BP?

marno21 wrote: »
    Is there any junctions on the Tuam BP?

Here's a map of the tuam bypass

• Advertisement

Brockagh corofin pic1 28/06/15 pic2 01/06/16

Advertisement