Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ascii wrote: »
    Does this answer you question? That spur off the roundabout will be to serve Kilternan national school and the Local road back towards Ballinderreen

It sure does, thanks!! About 5km from my house to the motorway via this interchange. Awfully nice of the designers to put it there for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The flyover at bauilphuil corofin pic 1 15/11/15 pic2 15/06/16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 flyover over the galway to dublin railway line 2 kms south of rathmorrisy 17/06/16

I assume the width of clearance to the "right" of railway line is to allow a second track to be laid there in the future....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I assume the width of clearance to the "right" of railway line is to allow a second track to be laid there in the future....

Yes, all recent railway overbridge boxes are built with expansion in mind. 1->2 or 2->4. This was not the case in the past.

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes, all recent railway overbridge boxes are built with expansion in mind. 1->2 or 2->4. This was not the case in the past.
    Almost all railway bridges were constructed for two tracks, even where only a single track was laid. Just go on any single track line ant you'll see the track offset to one side at all bridges and on (rail) overbridges the abutments are in place for the second track deck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's looking that way section 1 tuam to kilternan section 2 kilternan to gort

In your opinion I assume. Official word is still no staged opening.

In your opinion I assume. Official word is still no staged opening.

Pic 1 The m18 outside gort pic2 the m17 outside corofin

Pic 1 The m18 outside gort pic2 the m17 outside corofin

It is your opinion then. They've said multiple times there won't be a partial opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It is your opinion then. They've said multiple times there won't be a partial opening.

I think he should have a better idea in fairness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Truckermal wrote: »
    I think he should have a better idea in fairness.

There's no doubt about the differences in progress, but that doesn't mean there'll be a phased opening. They may finish part of it and sit on it for a while. I've seen the same thing occasionally happen in Spain and Greece.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    There's no doubt about the differences in progress, but that doesn't mean there'll be a phased opening. They may finish part of it and sit on it for a while. I've seen the same thing occasionally happen in Spain and Greece.

Ah thats spain and greece this is ireland there Will be phased openings ive taken taken over 1800 pics to prove it there at least nine months ahead in the northern section

The m18 between kilternan and gort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Ah thats spain and greece this is ireland there Will be phased openings ive taken taken over 1800 pics to prove it there at least nine months ahead in the northern section
    Yes loads of photos but are you someone actually working on the project or just a fan?

Yes loads of photos but are you someone actually working on the project or just a fan?

Just a fan that likes to keep you all updated on progress

We're all very grateful for the pics, but that's why myself and notharrypotter are saying that just because you think there will be a partial opening doesn't mean there will be.
    In your opinion the N18 is 9 months behind the M17. But as your not an expert and not involved with the project, that's all it is, an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

We're all very grateful for the pics, but that's why myself and notharrypotter are saying that just because you think there will be a partial opening doesn't mean there will be.
    In your opinion the N18 is 9 months behind the M17. But as your not an expert and not involved with the project, that's all it is, an opinion.

Bloody hell, that post could'nt have been more denigrating:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be fair, M17 does provide valuable insight into the project, but its naive to take their word as Gospel, it's quite plausible to be incorrect in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

M18 :confused:????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

Just to play devils advocate here, If M17 is right and Tuam to Kiltiernan progresses faster, does anyone know if the design of the Kiltiernan interchange lends itself to a phased opening? It's only natural for a construction company to stick to the published contract date until they are absolutely certain that a phased opening can be achieved.

Bloody hell, that post could'nt have been more denigrating:mad:.

Totally agree plus the two toads haven't even the decency to thank his posts I hate people like that. M17 is the best contributor to this thread where as the other two have only posted stupid waffle..

• Advertisement

Totally agree plus the two toads haven't even the decency to thank his posts I hate people like that. M17 is the best contributor to this thread where as the other two have only posted stupid waffle..

I'm sorry, but how is it stupid waffle? What M17 is doing is brilliant and the thread would be dead without his pics, but that doesn't make him an expert on road construction.
    Until I hear from Direct Route or TII that's there's going to be a phased opening, then I'll continue to believe that's it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

m17 has local knowledge, which is invaluable in this instance. The TII's website isn't exactly a beacon of reference either, their road projects section is several years out of date. Yes, years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks for the great work, keep it going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

marno21 wrote: »
    m17 has local knowledge, which is invaluable in this instance. The TII's website isn't exactly a beacon of reference either, their road projects section is several years out of date. Yes, years.

I have in-laws living beside the section of the N84 currently being upgraded so I have "local knowledge".

However I have no opinion as to when they will be finished.

I appreciate the work as done by M17 but my point is that he should highlight that any of his posting to date over suggested opening times of the new road are his opinion only and he has no direct involvement in the project.

I have in-laws living beside the section of the N84 currently being upgraded so I have "local knowledge".

However I have no opinion as to when they will be finished.

I appreciate the work as done by M17 but my point is that he should highlight that any of his posting to date over suggested opening times of the new road are his opinion only and he has no direct involvement in the project.

If you were any good you would thank his posts and not questioning them considering the effort he goes to taking pictures every day. You have contributed SFA urself only complaining and moaning with your buddy Cookiemunster.

This is way off topic now so please don't take the thread off topic any more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you were any good you would thank his posts and not questioning them considering the effort he goes to taking pictures every day. You have contributed SFA urself only complaining and moaning with your buddy Cookiemunster.

Just because someone does put alot of work into something, does not mean they are immune to questions or criticism. I certainly respect the updates that M17 has given this thread, making it the liveliest in the Roads forum, but we cannot take everything a "fan" says as gospel. It's quite clear that it was an opinion as M17, and that's great, opinions are welcomed. The problem is posters jumping in and taking it as definite. If everything our government said was taken as truth then we would not be out first world democracy that we are today.

Nobody is questioning the effort he's putting into taking the pics. Everyone who reads this thread appriciates it ( you don't need to thank every single post and I've thanked many BTW), but that doesn't mean that he has inside knowledge to say when the road is opening. You're trying to defend something that's not even being questioned.

MOD: Enough of this. Back on topic of the M17/M18 scheme and how it's progressing. Not a long drawn out argument on the veracity of M17's posts. He has done an incredible amount of work for this thread and has seen first hand how the project is going, and can form an opinion based on his observations. The quarreling over the accuracy of his opinions stops here.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    MOD: Enough of this. Back on topic of the M17/M18 scheme and how it's progressing. Not a long drawn out argument on the veracity of M17's posts. He has done an incredible amount of work for this thread and has seen first hand how the project is going, and can form an opinion based on his observations. The quarreling over the accuracy of his opinions stops here.
    I'll second that this forum is about the m17/m18 motorway and not me

Advertisement