Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Is that the eventual plan? dualler continuing to Sligo?

Yes, DC schemes from north of Tuam to Collooney are currently suspended, however the N17 corridor is part of TEN-T comprehensive network and will hopefully be built before 2030.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yep, but who knows when. When we were doing the interurbans we completed them end-to-end. We should be doing the Atlantic Corridor the same way, instead of getting an M17/M18, fighting for an M20 and no firm plan for the N17 or N15 and still a crap Bunratty Bypass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yep, but who knows when. When we were doing the interurbans we completed them end-to-end. We should be doing the Atlantic Corridor the same way, instead of getting an M17/M18, fighting for an M20 and no firm plan for the N17 or N15 and still a crap Bunratty Bypass.
    The Atlantic Corridor so far:

N25 Waterford City BP - opened 2009
    N25 Dungarvan Outer BP - suspended
    N25 Midleton to Youghal - suspended
    N25 Carrigtwohill to Middleton DC upgrade - suspended
    N25 Dunkettle Interchange - awaiting start
    N40 Cork North Ring Rd East - suspended
    M20 Cork - Velvetstown - suspended
    M20 Velvetstown to Limerick - suspended
    M20 Patrickswell to Rossbrien - opened 2001
    N18 Limerick BP Phase II - opened 2010
    N18 Hurlers Cross DC - opened 2003
    N18 Newmarket on Fergus BP - opened 2002
    N18 Ennis BP - opened 2007
    M18 Crusheen to Gort - opened 2010
    M18 Gort to Rathmorrissey - opening 2018
    M17 Rathmorrissey to Tuam - opening 2018
    N17 Tuam BP - opening 2018
    N17 Tuam to Claremorris - suspended
    N17 Knock to Tobercurry - suspended
    N17 Tobercurry BP - suspended
    N17 Collooney to Tobercurry - suspended
    N4 Collooney to Sligo - opened 1998
    (N4 Sligo Inner Relief Rd - opened 2006) Sligo BP eventually needed
    N15 Sligo to Bundoran - suspended
    N15 Ballyshannon/Bundoran BP - opened 2006
    N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar BP - consultancy ongoing
    N13 Stranorlar to Derry - suspended

The above are all the components of a final Atlantic Corridor currently existing as schemes or completed.

In addition, the following would also be needed:

N25 Youghal BP dualling
    N18 J4 - J9 reconfiguration/upgrade
    N17 Claremorris/Knock BP dualling
    N4/N15 Sligo BP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

What's wrong with the Bunratty Bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

mrsoundie wrote: »

Built on bog, very bumpy and bouncy and closer to Limerick you have people's driveways fronting onto the carriageway

• Advertisement

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Road is not of a very high standard, very undulating south of Bunratty, houses, pubs and several minor roads fronting onto the dual carraigeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

D Trent wrote: »
    Built on bog, very bumpy and bouncy and closer to Limerick you have people's driveways fronting onto the carriageway
    marno21 wrote: »
    Road is not of a very high standard, very undulating south of Bunratty, houses, pubs and several minor roads fronting onto the dual carraigeway.

I drive it everyday and for Dual Carriageway, I find it acceptable. Friend of mine was an engineer on it, he still gets slagged over it. Its there a long time now, built around I cant remember when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Traffic volumes are not significant but type 2 dual I would imagine.

It will be a fairly good national primary soon, obviously Tuam-Claremorris is poor and Colooney - Tubber is shocking but Claremorris BP is a joy to drive.

Limerick - Sligo should be an interesting travel time. Used to take me 2hr50 to 3hrs before.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Traffic volumes are not significant but type 2 dual I would imagine.

It will be a fairly good national primary soon, obviously Tuam-Claremorris is poor and Colooney - Tubber is shocking but Claremorris BP is a joy to drive.

Limerick - Sligo should be an interesting travel time. Used to take me 2hr50 to 3hrs before.
    Tuam-Claremorris has improved after the realignment of the bends around Milltown/Ballindine.

Obviously the M17/M18 scheme will completely open up the region, especially along the Atlantic Corridor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No motorway will continue on - dual carriageway is more than enough for the rest of the N17.

I think you meant dual carriageway is more than enough for the rest all of the N17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

And on that, is the bunratty "hole" in the network supposed to be upgraded to motorway? and similarly the hole at Athlone on the M6?

And on that, is the bunratty "hole" in the network supposed to be upgraded to motorway? and similarly the hole at Athlone on the M6?
    I would imagine the N18 DC will be reconfigured as part of TEN-T regulations, the N7 DC is the first one to be done as it's part of the TEN-T Core Network.

The N13 DC in Donegal may also have to be reconfigured as part of TEN-T regulations, not sure about the Athlone BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

I would imagine the N18 DC will be reconfigured as part of TEN-T regulations, the N7 DC is the first one to be done as it's part of the TEN-T Core Network.

The N13 DC in Donegal may also have to be reconfigured as part of TEN-T regulations, not sure about the Athlone BP.

And then of course there's the big hole of lower quality DC in Wicklow between Bray and coynes cross...hard to know how they could upgrade that...that's a Ten-T route too

And then of course there's the big hole of lower quality DC in Wicklow between Bray and coynes cross...hard to know how they could upgrade that...that's a Ten-T route too

I forgot that one. Reconfiguration of that stretch is included in the Dublin 2016-2035 Transport Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

New road sign at annagh hill

m17 wrote: »

That to me would appear like the N63 will terminate at Annagh Hill after 2018.

I have taken 45 pics just click on the link to view of The m17 form annagh hill to mahangh over 5kms15/05/16 pic1 looking towards rathmorrissy where the digger is that's the old n63, all the rest looking towards tuam after pic13 roadbridge take over there are 45 pics in total enjoyhttp://goo.gl/photos/qw56iVX7BAwiNack9

Is that the first M17 sign? :)

That to me would appear like the N63 will terminate at Annagh Hill after 2018.

No the n63 will go as far as the flemings junction it will replace the n17,once the m17 opens

Motorway spurs race for tuam drive-thrus

• Advertisement

The fifth flyover over the m17 at laraghmore is now open 18/05/16

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

The fifth flyover over the m17 at laraghmore is now open 18/05/16

How many more flyovers remain to be completed on M17?. That would be a good milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Just dipped into this thread, wow cannot believe how far this project has moved on with 18 months till it opens this is going to be an amazing addition to infrastructure in the west, lets see it extended to Sligo!

Motorway spurs race for tuam drive-thrus
    Even less business so for the planned MSA between J19 and J17 on the M6.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

westtip wrote: »
    Just dipped into this thread, wow cannot believe how far this project has moved on with 18 months till it opens this is going to be an amazing addition to infrastructure in the west, lets see it extended to Sligo!

Why stop there? - keep going with the motorway to Malin Head - Luke Skywalker needs it.

It was not needed north of Gort - a decent grade separated DC would have done at half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Why stop there? - keep going with the motorway to Malin Head - Luke Skywalker needs it.

It was not needed north of Gort - a decent grade separated DC would have done at half the price.

How do you know it would be half the price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YoungIreland

I'm not that sure to be honest. I could understand ending the motorway at Rathmorrisey, but I would think that the traffic between Gort and Galway is enough to justify motorway, especially when the preceding section is the most lightly trafficked of the entire route. It would also leave a Naas Road DC- style anamoly with a motorway being downgraded just before a major junction. I could be wrong though.

If you're going to build a new offline inter-urban road at least do it right the first time. This will be futureproofed for generations.

BTW it wasnt all originally motorway order. AFAIK the M17 was (20k daily) but Oranmore-Gort got "M status" (before a shovel hit the ground) in the 2nd tranche of motorway designations back in 2009.

The road is being built to HQDC standard. So technically yes it's a 'decent GSJ'd DC??

The debate is well and truly over at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

oh yes completely agree on that, a separated DC similar to the N4 Roosky/Dromod bypass would be perfect.

• Advertisement

I disagree here.

This road is basically a decent grade seperated DC just with blue signs. It's narrow median, has only 2 junctions bar Rathmorrissey, one of which is a compact GSJ, and it's interface with the M6 is a roundabout with grade seperation.

I'm not sure how it could be any cheaper.

Advertisement