Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D4 Accent - And how it gets around

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

The Judy Geller accent is the real 1950s mid-Atlantic accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

All American culture should be banned. It's evil and soils the minds of our young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

those guys accents were a joke i wouldnt have thought they were irish unless they said it. I dont really understand whys it called the D4 accent most people i know from D4 would talk normally you get the accent in different places all over the city.
    Bwahahahaha.
    Trinners. The incubation centre for the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think the "D4" accent isn't so much an accent as a tone of
    condescension. We even have a version of it in Tralee (we call it the T4) and it's been around as long as I can remember. It sounds like nails on a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think the "D4" accent isn't so much an accent as a tone of
    condescension. We even have a version of it in Tralee (we call it the T4) and it's been around as long as I can remember. It sounds like nails on a blackboard.
    urgh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

McDougal wrote: »
    All American culture should be banned. It's evil and soils the minds of our young people.

not if you don't let it infect ya. but yep hearts n minds, n now mouths too it seems. funny how we can impersonate a yank or brit with ease but they can't do us so easily. such is the power of media saturation

my rathfarnham nephew's pickin it up now n he's goin to cali soon. for BMX reasons, maybe a sponsorship! gonna be so phreakin awesome dude.. add D14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I recall reading an article (sorry no link) in one of the papers about the origin of the Dee Forre. The had a piece from the press about 100 years ago complaining about the way people in Rathmines were calling it "Rothmoynes", just like you'd hear a D4 pronouncing it now. At the time, it was put down to snobby Dubs trying to immitate a posh english accent. Now we blame American TV. It's just gob****es thinking they are better than everyone else.

"Look, roysh, I need to potroniise youuu,"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

we are but the griddle in a regional sandwich, with UK/USA our bread n butter.

warning: high fat content

Advertisement