Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D4 Accent - And how it gets around

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

owenc wrote: »
    That top one sounds like australians, and the bottom one is crap compared to top i love the top one, but still that ain't posh.... is that the most common dublin accent?? why don't you hear it on tv as much then...

nope, the Ronnie Drew type accent is the most common.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have the so called D4 accent. Had it all my life and will probably have it for the rest of my life. So I deserve a slap do I? Its no act. I used to be ashamed because of people like you but fcuk that. I'm now glad I speak the way I do and don't have the horrible typical dublin accent.

Yes, the knackery accent, how could you stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have the so called D4 accent. Had it all my life and will probably have it for the rest of my life. So I deserve a slap do I? Its no act. I used to be ashamed because of people like you but fcuk that. I'm now glad I speak the way I do and don't have the horrible typical dublin accent.

But listen theres hope!! Scientists are working on a cure...Someday you wont have to live this way any more, one day you too can be normal instead of nWWWoArrRRmal.

Stay strong, be brave. Science will cure you one day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

But listen theres hope!! Scientists are working on a cure...Someday you wont have to live this way any more, one day you too can be normal instead of nWWWoArrRRmal.

Stay strong, be brave. Science will cure you one day!

i wonder what accent you have?:rolleyes:

i wonder what accent you have?:rolleyes:

Oh jiminy! What an original argument! If you don't speak in a manufactured, affected Americanised ba$tardisation of an accent then you MUST be a Scobie.....

Cue, vitriolic monologue about Scobies, tracksuits, shoplifting, heroin, hoop earrings and Croydon facelifts, pramfaces....yada yada...

Sorry to dissapoint but I have neither a Scobie nor a D4 accent. I speak in an organic Dublin accent without any affectation in either direction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Oh jiminy! What an original argument! If you don't speak in a manufactured, affected Americanised ba$tardisation of an accent then you MUST be a Scobie.....

Cue, vitriolic monologue about Scobies, tracksuits, shoplifting, heroin, hoop earrings and Croydon facelifts, pramfaces....yada yada...

Sorry to dissapoint but I have neither a Scobie nor a D4 accent. I speak in an organic Dublin accent without any affectation in either direction.

aw right your from croyden, well then, you should know were your placed then.. (croyden accent is awful)

Ballymun isn't organic now in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

You might think the D4's are gay but I would not f*k with them after watching these video's I know this is in another thread but I think the mods will agree that it belongs here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiyakyVX9c4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayndgvqnBqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhgP0qEjNn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_DWRsn0d4

aw right your from croyden, well then, you should know were your placed then.. (croyden accent is awful)

Yeh, that's right...I'm from Croydon......swooooooosh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You might think the D4's are gay but I would not f*k with them after watching these video's I know this is in another thread but I think the mods will agree that it belongs here

wouldn't f*ck with them?

lulz

get a bang of a dube?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

but i bet they wud definately be trying to **** you though! rugger homos :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

eh, dublin people do not have a snobby accent they can't even say three right..

at least when we talk it doesnt sound like we are singing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Poll should be done of which accent they rather, D4 or typical dublin accent.

That solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    I've lived in Cork for the past 10 years and have a cork accent with a slight hint of Northern Irish but if a relative phones me my voice automatically changes to a strong northern irish one. I actually have no idea why, it just comes on naturally

If I'm London for even a week I pick up the accent really quickly, same thing happens whenever I talk to anyone from Manchester - saying things like "that", pronouncing it like "'at". It's ridiculously embarrassing when people point it out as it's wholly unintentional!

D4 accents do annoy me, I have more of a neutal-ish Dublin accent though I veer more of the side of the "howaya" Dub at times. When I get really angry I sound like a complete scanger (it's because of where I'm from!) and get slagged for that too. I don't mind if it's someone's actual accent, but a lot of the time it's put on. That Laura Whitmore one isn't helping things, I'm sure she's lovely but her accent is very irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Ballymun isn't organic now in fairness.

Ballymun is a place its not an accent, not everyone from there speaks like a skanger, it depends who people associate with, and how they live that develops their accent

Anyway I don't find the D4 accent that bad, those fcuking culchies from the midlands piss me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    Ballymun is a place its not an accent, not everyone from there speaks like a skanger, it depends who people associate with, and how they live that develops their accent

Anyway I don't find the D4 accent that bad, those fcuking culchies from the midlands piss me off

:eek:No ballymun is a way of life ...hahaha.............Dont get me started on those ****ing culchies they put an S on everything if I had a gun I would shot them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T54TU8bsj8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

THE up inflection comes from oz soap operas , ie so an ordinary sentence sounds like a question.I think the d4 accent is now more mid atlantic because so many young teens watch mtv, and loads of american programs , ie now sky tv has dozens of american channels.IF you watch old rte programs middle class
    people in dublin had a more upper class english accent.
    The thing that annoys me is teens that use lots of american slang like cool,awesome ,its like they are pretending to live in beverly hills.
    I think theres alot of teens who mainly watch just american tv .
    i suppose the greed and materialism of the celtic tiger was similar to american pure capitalism so anything american was percieved as good and modern.

ricman wrote: »
    THE up inflection comes from oz soap operas , ie so an ordinary sentence sounds like a question.I think the d4 accent is now more mid atlantic because so many young teens watch mtv, and loads of american programs , ie now sky tv has dozens of american channels.IF you watch old rte programs middle class
    people in dublin had a more upper class english accent.
    The thing that annoys me is teens that use lots of american slang like cool,awesome ,its like they are pretending to live in beverly hills.
    I think theres alot of teens who mainly watch just american tv .
    i suppose the greed and materialism of the celtic tiger was similar to american pure capitalism so anything american was percieved as good and modern.

yeah duuuuuuude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

ricman wrote: »

Careful now!

Vacuous rich Californian teens on MTV are in no way representative of the USA. America has indeed provided quite a lot of good.

Much of it is ignored here and sadly we import their frivolities instead.

Their classless, what-you-know, can-do, positive style of capitalism is sadly lacking here at times. They also guard republican principles a little more closely. The "golden cirlce" revelations in Ireland have exposed ours as a sham (but I have to concede such cartels are easier to organise on a small island the size of one of their states). In the U.S., the white collar crims are hauled out in cuffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Isn't talking about D4s and their accents acient history now? Christ how I wished that phase was over, how tiresome it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's just so obviously new and invented, where on earth was this accent in the 1980's or previous? I'm 23 and I'd reckon that I am older than it.

Bob Geldoff is older than you. So are generations before him. It's an irish regional accent, always has been, always will be. If people want to copy it, so be it, you will just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

eh, dublin people do not have a snobby accent they can't even say three right..

That just shows how much of Dublin you've been exposed to, theres pelnty of regions in Ireland where the word three is mispronounced, Athlone is one major town where most people don't enunciate, Laois, Offaly, Kerry, Cork, Clare, Galway, Sligo....I could go on. My point being that just because you speak with a particular accent, doesn't neccesarily mean your from a certain background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Is there really a helluva difference between a nice dublin 4 accent or say a
    ' Noice ' ( excuse the Sarcasm ) Whitehall , Rathfarnham, Fairview Leixlip ,Malahide one ? .

It's the same on Merseyside were you have what some might say is the harsh scouse accent , the mildly pleasent one and then you spread out into the suburbs or over into parts of the Wirral were you have your well spoken 'midle class ' ones, remembering that many of the residents would have originally come from across the water in Liverpool themselfs ( and in the main proud of it to) .

So in many ways it's a case of the accent evolving to whatever your surrounding /envoirment is. Look at Irish people who move abroad to America ,Australia or Europe , they adapt and pick up on the local accent ok just as some non Irish person moving to Dublin /Ireland does to .

I do recall meeting a girl in Liverpool and on hearing her Dublin accent asked how long she was living in England ? . '' I'm not from Dublin she replied , I'm from here Liverpool and worked in the bank of Ireland in Dublin for 5 years were I picked up on the local dilect ''

Regardless of what part of a citys one is from there's nothing wrong with speaking or wanting to speak fluently and as pleasently as possible even if some have to work at it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I regard it as a generic southside posh accent ,one doesnt have to be from d4 to have it .it seems to be popular in upper class areas.Its like a mid atlantic slightly english accent . Some djs
    have a neutral accent as if it was programmed in a computer ,its not irish its like someone who was thought english by watching american tv.
    ITS like the irish equivalent of bbc english.
    At one time no one with a regional accent was allowed to present on bbc radio 4.

and i,m not trying to criticise america in anyway, i just find it annoying when someone uses american slang all the time, eg you guys etc when speaking to a group of girls.
    A GIRL OR WOMAN is not a guy .ITS not as if the irish do not have a wide range of slang ,we dont need to import american slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Latchy wrote: »
    Is there really a helluva difference between a nice dublin 4 accent or say a
    ' Noice ' ( excuse the Sarcasm ) Whitehall , Rathfarnham, Fairview Leixlip ,Malahide one ? .

It's the same on Merseyside were you have what some might say is the harsh scouse accent , the mildly pleasent one and then you spread out into the suburbs or over into parts of the Wirral were you have your well spoken 'midle class ' ones, remembering that many of the residents would have originally come from across the water in Liverpool themselfs ( and in the main proud of it to) .

So in many ways it's a case of the accent evolving to whatever your surrounding /envoirment is. Look at Irish people who move abroad to America ,Australia or Europe , they adapt and pick up on the local accent ok just as some non Irish person moving to Dublin /Ireland does to .

I do recall meeting a girl in Liverpool and on hearing her Dublin accent asked how long she was living in England ? . '' I'm not from Dublin she replied , I'm from here Liverpool and worked in the bank of Ireland in Dublin for 5 years were I picked up on the local dilect ''

Regardless of what part of a citys one is from there's nothing wrong with speaking or wanting to speak fluently and as pleasently as possible even if some have to work at it .

work at it ????, thats sad to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The OP asked why the accent wasn't around in the '80s...well it was. Its just been refined some more since then

The D4 accent is just the evolved yuppy accent. It serves a purpose for every one to identify those who believe they are better than someone else.

Yuppies, not Puppies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The d4 accent, its a cancer on the city that gives a bad name to the good people of Ringsend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

tommyhaas wrote: »
    The d4 accent, its a cancer on the city that gives a bad name to the good people of Ringsend

theres no good people in ringsend:D joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

duckysauce wrote: »
    theres no good people in ringsend

See what I mean??, the D4 accent has given Ringsend a bad name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I myself have perfected the regional neutral accent, when i talk to normal people they think what a snob and when I speak to D4s they think im a knacker.

Advertisement