Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The D4 Accent - And how it gets around

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Most people aren't happy with who they are and want to be something they're not. Hence... D4 pseudo-accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

a lot of irish people hate other irish accent's.

however, non irish people love the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

daniel91 wrote: »
    some people say i sound like i have Dublin accent! I was born in London, my mother is from Dublin, my father from Derry, moved from London when I was 5 to Galway and lived there to I was 12 until I moved up to Donegal and been living here for almost 6 years now. It really weird because so many people think i'm from Dublin when they hear my accent, but have never lived there! I actually dont know what accent i have!
    Well variation on a theme , my mother's from Cork , my Dad from Co down and me and my siblings were all born and raised in Dublin , as Dubliners ( of course) .;)

The fact that half of us live abroad now is just coincidental because I always did and always will , consider myself a Dub , no identity crisis there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

a lot of irish people hate other irish accent's.

Loike... toooooootally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Not the D4 accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

procure11 wrote: »
    I still prefare it to some I have to listen to everyday

It..erm is...erm going..erm .. to be.. erm a good day.Horrific!

I don't want to go off topic here but surely a topic regarding the abuse of the dictation of the English language should include downright lack of effort regards spelling.... prefare?

Or the blatant disregard for the whole language in general... e.g "I could of had her". What you mean my good man is you "could have had her"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I don't want to go off topic here but surely a topic regarding the abuse of the dictation of the English language should include downright lack of effort regards spelling.... prefare?

Or the blatant disregard for the whole language in general... e.g "I could of had her". What you mean my good man is you "could have had her"

Ever think about using a comma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

finisklin wrote: »
    Remember its a state of mind and people often mirror people/or a goal in the their lives that they wish to achieve/aspire to.

It would be an interesting exercise, if one could do it, to actually film some D4 people have an ordinary conversation. Once videoed over 5 minutes about simple, everyday topics (weather, traffic, etc.) play it back and turn the volume down. Does the body language equate to what a D4 person is saying? In other words are their affirmations through hand gestures, head and nose gestures etc.

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously :o

Reminder (to me) get a life!

Anyway you get the idea......
    Excuse me while I beat this dead horse once more, but I have to agree with this entirely. Just look at the body language of whoever the guy in the grey suit/white shirt is, and it really pure mimicry of Americans, Californians to be more precise. Perhaps this could be down to the presence of Hollywood in California and the need to always be 'on' in that town, with regards to one's image (the whole "who you know, not what you know industry" bit). New Yorkers on the other hand tend to have far more subdued body language, quite similar to how Irish people (and in this case, the interviewer) would typically act. Obviously though there is no 'one fits all' accent or body language, but it is an interesting point you bring up.

Watch it on mute or with the sound very low: the jolting of his neck when he says 'key' words ("but I DID get A LOT of texts"), the dropping of the jaw and completely exaggerated look of confusion when asked about his stuttering and stumbling, the constant raising-and-dipping of the eyebrows, etc.

Same with 'yer wahn' jolting her head for key words ("they DON'T moan about it, they DON'T complain about it" / "then it's BANG you have to be SNAP, straight on") although it does appear to be to a lesser extent. Fairly vane though, when asked about her accent why does she bring up "this is how I look"? :o

Interestingly, the dark skinned guy in the red t-shirt seems far more natural. He makes some of these movements and gestures, but they are fart less noticeable it comes across more as just natural body language as opposed to subconsciously trying to project an image, in my opinion (if you can differentiate between the two ;)). He also uses a lot more hand gestures, which - again, in my opinion - you see a lot more of here as opposed to head joltings.

It's more the 'Americanised' body language and pacing of the sentences that get on my nerves than the enunciation of the vowels to be honest, which is why the grey suit/white shirt guy really irritates me!

Oh yeah, Boards gets a mention at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

worst D4 accent i ever heard was a girl i met from Cork. Was jaw-droppingly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Billy86 wrote: »
    Excuse me while I beat this dead horse once more, but I have to agree with this entirely. Just look at the body language of whoever the guy in the grey suit/white shirt is, and it really pure mimicry of Americans, Californians to be more precise. Perhaps this could be down to the presence of Hollywood in California and the need to always be 'on' in that town, with regards to one's image (the whole "who you know, not what you know industry" bit). New Yorkers on the other hand tend to have far more subdued body language, quite similar to how Irish people (and in this case, the interviewer) would typically act. Obviously though there is no 'one fits all' accent or body language, but it is an interesting point you bring up.

Watch it on mute or with the sound very low: the jolting of his neck when he says 'key' words ("but I DID get A LOT of texts"), the dropping of the jaw and completely exaggerated look of confusion when asked about his stuttering and stumbling, the constant raising-and-dipping of the eyebrows, etc.

Same with 'yer wahn' jolting her head for key words ("they DON'T moan about it, they DON'T complain about it" / "then it's BANG you have to be SNAP, straight on") although it does appear to be to a lesser extent. Fairly vane though, when asked about her accent why does she bring up "this is how I look"? :o

Interestingly, the dark skinned guy in the red t-shirt seems far more natural. He makes some of these movements and gestures, but they are fart less noticeable it comes across more as just natural body language as opposed to subconsciously trying to project an image, in my opinion (if you can differentiate between the two ;)). He also uses a lot more hand gestures, which - again, in my opinion - you see a lot more of here as opposed to head joltings.

It's more the 'Americanised' body language and pacing of the sentences that get on my nerves than the enunciation of the vowels to be honest, which is why the grey suit/white shirt guy really irritates me!

Oh yeah, Boards gets a mention at the end.

She's not that bad at all. Much worse out there. She has a few words that are not the same accent you would hear from castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Ross O Carroll Kelly is a Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Apparently "Diary of A Debutant" is going to be re-run on 3E. If anybody wants to see the disgusting epitomy of the accent, just wait for yer one in UCD. It was embarrassing !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

abso fecking loutley like.

jesus that biatch would want me to take a hammer to my screen.

Where did it come from, how can we get rid of it.

I want to say something about hitler but I fear i'd be site banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

Although the heartland of the accent is South County Dublin it is more to do with a slightly idiotic mindset than geographical place. It's part Beverly Hills, part anglo, part Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"oim a northsider lioke"

:rolleyes:

I could crush a grape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

One accent I truly hate is when girls put on that near American accent...Infact anybody that puts one on at all!.

My Mam came from a faily well off family from near by a diffrent down we dont live buy,Now one of our neighbours came from that town and was quite poor apparently.

Despite both my parents coming from well off familys neither of them have "one of those" accents that are traditional with Money yet this woman who aquired some wealth in the last few years as of her husban in the property boom suddenly had this flamboyant aristocratic accent that seemed to have emerged from after the last shower of rain!

Its funny because when she speaks to my mam she puts back her normal accent,but then when she talks to anyone else from around here she has her new voice.

I wouldnt critisise a child for having one,as they grew up with it((My aunts from Cork and her husband is England and my cousin has a D4 accent but she grew up there so its more acceptable than moving in and having one.

Sigh why cant people just be themselves :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

She's not that bad at all. Much worse out there. She has a few words that are not the same accent you would hear from castleknock.
    Yeah I would agree. I only actually stumbled on that video of her because her name was mentioned earlier in the thread. The first guy they talk to though, he is so fake/staged/whatever that it is genuinely irritating.

Teens are on summer holidays now, so once we get some sunny weather back it is a safe bet that Dundrum shopping centre will once again become like, so totally unbearable man, y'knew?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Naw.. i love the american accent and the english accent, i seriously hate the dublin accent no offence, its that whole tree thing that annoys me. ugh god

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Goose81 wrote: »
    I just watched that,thats not a D4 accent in the slightest,they are from Lucan ffs.

Although i agree that they don't have a D4 accent, Jedward most definitley don't have a Lucan accent! I lived in Lucan most of my life, and i have never heard anyone speak that way! Its more likely that they picked up a bastardised american accent in stage school or the Institute on Leeson street. I think the D4 accent that is being referred to in this thread is more than likely a product of the boom years, people earned more, spent more nad sent their children to private education and after school activities like drama school, which previously most could not afford, and the kids picked up an exaggerated american twang that they passed onto their circle of friends.

On the other hand, i've always been accused of pretending to put on an accent, or being posh because i speak well and clearly. All my family speak in the same way, and i've never tried to change my accent in the slightest. I've been living in the midlands for the last several years, and the amount of people who simply refuse to believe i'm a Dub because i don't have a "howya" accent is incredible! I guess where you grew up makes a huge difference in gauging what a "typical" accent is from. I doubt many people around here would know a real D4 accent from a put on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Hitler had the right idea.......but the wrong people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think people should loike stop mocking the D4 accent, it's kinda getting old now goys, D4s aren't all that bad, affluent or snobby as people loike to think. It's just those culchies and people from North Dublin with their inferiority complex that's all. In reality we're all the same.

I think people should loike stop mocking the D4 accent, it's kinda getting old now goys, D4s aren't all that bad, affluent or snobby as people loike to think. It's just those culchies and people from North Dublin with their inferiority complex that's all. In reality we're all the same.

eh, dublin people do not have a snobby accent they can't even say three right..

owenc wrote: »
    eh, dublin people do not have a snobby accent they can't even say three right..

Yeah, mean the one's from the working class areas? The rough ole Dublin accent. You obviously haven't been to other parts of Dublin, especially that part of Dublin with the "Dublin 4" postal address.

Yeah, mean the one's from the working class areas? The rough ole Dublin accent. You obviously haven't been to other parts of Dublin, especially that part of Dublin with the "Dublin 4" postal address.

I was only down south once and that was too dublin, i was wee so i don't remember.. lol.. but i've heard the irish accent on the tv and thats the way i thought all people in dublin etc spoke... do all people down south not say tree?

owenc wrote: »
    I was only down south once and that was too dublin, i was wee so i don't remember.. lol.. but i've heard the irish accent on the tv and thats the way i thought all people in dublin etc spoke... do all people down south not say tree?

There are many accent around Dublin (I think 5 all together). Noboby has really heard the original county Dublin accent because of people moving out to the country-side from the city areas. The most prominent Dublin accent is the one you probably heard (listen to Ronnie Drew) but believe me there are others. Listen to Brian Dobson's accent on the 6.1 news on RTÉ. It's an accent like that. It kinda an americanised/ anglicised irish accent it you know what I mean, hard to explain.

What the following videos to get a sense of it;

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

LOLZ. Good man yourself. The word is 'diction'.

The ironing is delicious :pac:

There are many accent around Dublin (I think 5 all together). Noboby has really heard the original county Dublin accent because of people moving out to the country-side from the city areas. The most prominent Dublin accent is the one you probably heard (listen to Ronnie Drew) but believe me there are others. Listen to Brian Dobson's accent on the 6.1 news on RTÉ. It's an accent like that. It kinda an americanised/ anglicised irish accent it you know what I mean, hard to explain.

That top one sounds like australians, and the bottom one is crap compared to top i love the top one, but still that ain't posh.... is that the most common dublin accent?? why don't you hear it on tv as much then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ever think about using a comma?

You mean an apostrophe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have relations in Donnybrook and they sound nothing like the roish crowd

it's all a fcuking act with the people that use the accent, and they need a slap

I have the so called D4 accent. Had it all my life and will probably have it for the rest of my life. So I deserve a slap do I? Its no act. I used to be ashamed because of people like you but fcuk that. I'm now glad I speak the way I do and don't have the horrible typical dublin accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Ha funnily enough I went to school with some of those girls. Those accents are put on for the clip; that said there might not have been any need seeing as some of them went to Andrews (well to do school in near Blackrock) and live in South County Dublin :D

Advertisement