Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Some bastards smashed our sitting room window. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

On Wednesday November 10th the Philosoph are playing host to Newstalk.

Marc Coleman, presenter of Coleman at Large on Newstalk at 22.00 every Tuesday and Wednesday will broadcast his programme live from the Clarion Hotel on Lapps Quay this Wednesday (the show would be broadcast from UCC but apparently there are no ISDN lines on campus, could some smart person please get onto rectifying his situation!).

The show takes the format of a panel discussion on a number of topical issues. Coleman himself is an economist and journalist. This Wednesday the show will have a studio audience courtesy of the Philosoph. Everyone is welcome! Audience members must be at the Clarion at 20.30 on Wednesday.

So if you were wondering what to do before Freakscene this Wednesday I have just told you the perfect place to be!

Coleman at Large in conjunction with the UCC Philosoph invites you to join his audience in the Clarion Hotel this Wednesday, November 10th at 20.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

So who's going on the Messtery Tour on the 15th?

The name alone is enough to make me to avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

So who's going on the Messtery Tour on the 15th?

The name alone is enough to make me to avoid it like the plague.

Nope, sounds dodgy as fcuk. Is it just some random student organizing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Tis. A couple of people in my class know him, or know of him anyway. They expect him to make at least a couple of thousand euro out of it.

Maybe it's just the begrudger in me, but I don't see the point in paying for the opportunity to pay for a night out like this. Mystery tours are grand when it's a decent sized class or club/soc affair, but when it's a truly massive group of people with no single thing in common out to get fúcked (or "messy", perhaps) it's just asking for trouble. I don't see how a long bus journey and different nightclub (full of the same people from UCC) is going to add anything to a night out that you wouldn't get in Cork anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Early drinking + Unlimited wine = Bad memories from last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Class party last night.........me and 17 girls :P Twas slightly awkward :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The mystery tours are such a joke, just another way for people to make money.

Honestly, it's like something for people in junior/senior infants... "mystery tour".... "where is it, I don't know, it's a MYSTERY... uuuuuwwww!!!!!"

I like those odds:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Go. On. My. Son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

ASIWYFA in the pav tonightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Despite the fact that i think they should be headlining the entire tour, kinda glad they are on first. Have work at 5.30am :P

The Philosoph are hosting a Soapbox tonight, Monday November 15th in Kane G19 at 19.30.

The audience finally has the chance to control the debate. If you have something to say come along because this is your opportunity to get people talking about an issue you feel is important. Audience members have the opportunity to put any motion they want to the floor. If it is seconded and opposed a debate will ensue on the topic. The Society will strive to give as many people as possible the chance to put a motion to the floor. This may very well be the most interesting debate you attend this year as the topics up for discussion will be relevant to you and your peers. So have your say and tell us what issues are important to you!

Solve the mystery of what motions the house will discuss tonight by coming to Kane G19 at 19.30.

Anybody know why all the Gardaí were on campus this morning. Two bikes, a squad car and two BanGardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There was a seminar on campus - Dan Boyle and a few more political types were around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Anybody know why all the Gardaí were on campus this morning. Two bikes, a squad car and two BanGardaí.
    I like how the fact that they were BanGardaí needs to be highlighted!

Aodan83 wrote: »

Oh you are like my friend who constantly points that out when i say it :P Its just a habit of saying it really....

Fees Debate on Monday, November 22nd at 19.30 in Kane G19, UCC

As Budget day looms and UCC prepares for another student protest the Philosoph are giving you the chance to speak your mind on the concept of reintroducing third level fees. Will you march on December 1st or do you believe that fees are part of the solution to both the Universities' and the country's woes? Or are you still uncertain? Whether you want more information and opinions on the situation before choosing a side or whether you have views you want to share this debate is for you.

In proposition of the motion That This House Would Reintroduce Third Level Fees Dr Declan Jordan of the UCC Economics Department will speak. A USI rep will oppose the motion. Their arguments will be followed by an open floor in which the audience will have a chance to say their piece. We want to hear from you!

With such a contentious and close-to-home topic up for discussion it promises to be a highly entertaining debate. But don't worry, we have an epic social planned in Sober Lane to calm all tensions afterwards.

Another UCC student drowned last night in the lee. Its a shame that this is happening so much in a city the size of cork. All they said on the radio was that he was from UCC and from a village outside kerry(didnt catch the name properly).
    R.I.P

RIP. Best to his family.

--EDIT--

All-student email sent around regarding it, from SU President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

To the wankstain that stole my good hoodie and jacket from my locker in the kane while i was in labs: if i find you, i will beat you to a pulp with my bare hands. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

The Philosoph and Gov. and Pol Soc are getting together to take a look at The Week in Politics with Fergus Finlay on Monday November 29th at 19.30 in Kane G19. Everyone is welcome!

Finlay, chief executive of Barnardos Ireland, Irish Examiner columnist and former Labour press secretary and adviser to Dick Spring will be addressing the House on the events of the last week and what it means for us, the politicians and Ireland as a sovereign state. The audience too will have the opportunity to address the House to give their comments on the political developments of the week and comment in agreement or disagreement on Finlay's opinion. Afterwards Trad Soc will join us for an epic social. So come along and give your verdict on the state of our nation!

Finlay's credentials can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fergus_Finlay.

THE WEEK IN POLITICS, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 29th, 19.30, KANE G19, UCC CAMPUS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

looking for a book on booleweb.ucc.ie, what does "in transit" mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Another UCC student drowned last night in the lee. Its a shame that this is happening so much in a city the size of cork. All they said on the radio was that he was from UCC and from a village outside kerry(didnt catch the name properly).
    R.I.P

I wonder what the mortality rate for college students is, it seems to be getting very high for UCC.

It's really a scandalous thing for such a small college to lose so many students, they should set up enquiries about it immediately, how it occurs. Of all the people you see around campus this year, chances are that you'll probably see someone that won't live to see the end of their degree.

Could mean they are ordering it i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It means that they're ordering it, it's missing, or that it's been returned (either from a UCC student or an inter college (IE crawfod) loan but hasn't made its way to the shelf yet. Most likely the latter, should be there in a couple of days. If it's a core text book or a book very relevant to an essay someone could have just kept it out for ages.
    I wonder what the mortality rate for college students is, it seems to be getting very high for UCC.

It's really a scandalous thing for such a small college to lose so many students, they should set up enquiries about it immediately, how it occurs. Of all the people you see around campus this year, chances are that you'll probably see someone that won't live to see the end of their degree.

We're not that small a college though. I know the death rate is high, but there's a lot of males age 18-24 in UCC, and that's a high risk demographic for road accidents, suicide and alcohol/drug overdose. I don't think going to UCC is some death sentence or that anything could be done to reduce it other than magically making people older, female and possibly not Irish. Not that it's not a tragedy, I just doubt any kind of enquiry could make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Aodan83 wrote: »

the poster's just saying 'be extra vigilant' in a roundabout manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

What does everyone think of our SU President's Call To Arms sent out this morning?

While I do like the idea of a prep talk, I wonder where he figured out that "the new €2,000 'Student Contribution' will increase year on year under the 4-Year plan"..

It does specifically say in the report "The table below outlines the measures to be adopted in 2011 to achieve the saving required. These structural measures have a significantly higher medium-term impact, thus lessening the need for further policy savings from this sector in future years", non?

UnionOfV wrote: »
    What does everyone think of our SU President's Call To Arms sent out this morning?

While I do like the idea of a prep talk, I wonder where he figured out that "the new €2,000 'Student Contribution' will increase year on year under the 4-Year plan"..

It does specifically say in the report "The table below outlines the measures to be adopted in 2011 to achieve the saving required. These structural measures have a significantly higher medium-term impact, thus lessening the need for further policy savings from this sector in future years", non?

Think its kind of pointless to be honest. Everyone else is suffering from cutbacks, tax hikes etc. We are not immune to it either. Thought €2,000 wasn't that bad after all the talk that it would be double what it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

They will tell you they have huge problems with their system and students is the lack of socio-economic diversity and tied to that a lack of ethic diversity especially in the private institutions. They will also tell you how many graduate students are having to take food parcels cause they cannot afford fees, can't get jobs and still are trying to get a graduate qualification <- generally now a must.

Someone might want to remind Keith O' Brien that third level education in this country is already primarily made up of the middle class and upwards and that's with "free education". If he's afraid that fees might lead to a "lack of socio-economic diversity" then he's a tad too late.

• Advertisement

How has UCC and Cork City been affected by the recent weather? I've been away from the county for this week.

Advertisement