Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have many of ye gone for the deluxe version over standard?was thinking of finally pre purchasing on guild wars website

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I didnt get much time to play maybe 3 hours in total but what i did i enjoyed.
    WvW was a let down however as it was just a zerg fest,whoever had the largest group won basically.
    Nothing really new to the pvp scene at all,infact it felt exactly like playing warhammer to me :(
    I enjoyed pve more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Dcully wrote: »
    WvW was a let down however as it was just a zerg fest,whoever had the largest group won basically.
    Nothing really new to the pvp scene at all,infact it felt exactly like playing warhammer to me :(
    I enjoyed pve more.

dam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

well the developers said that wvw was designed to be that way. and its supposed to be imbalanced at times. but a well coordinated 'zerg' will beat an apposing force even if they have a not negligible number superiority. it does sway though if you play long enough.
    if you want an even event you have to play sPvP which is 5v5 teams. So the pvp element is supposed to cater for all- which i think it does.
    it was fun when we were completely outnumbered and had to force a reatreat back to our keep and suddenly the tide turned. also when out on my own i would stumble across 2 other apposing players on quite a few occassions and it was a great battle to see if i could get away. 2 guys chased me across the entire map before i ran into enemy npc's and i was taken out.
    but yes, i enjoy pve more too.

i got the 'normal' digital version, personally most of the extras you get with the deluxe version are consumables which could be gone within a week. The only exceptions are the mini-pet and the elite skill, and im sure that will be a fancy effect elite not a game breaking one. For an extra 20 bucks you could buy a couple of extra character slots instead. My opinion anyways :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

performance was slightly better. from bwe1 2 and 3, it has improved gradually.

What can i say, Bwe3 is very stable and sound. It is ready to be unleashed fully IMO.

not much bugs/tweaks needed imo. the game runs bug free. no noticable game breaking bugs or lag for me which is great.

About the game. The game itself is a masterpiece. from the game levels/graphics, to the storyline and gameplay.

It all comes together to create such a fantastic dynamic world you can play in and experience.

There is 10000's of things you can do, from doing dynamic quests, WvW to just collecting a whole leap of items to create new armour or weapons!

Sooo many things to do in this game.

Whats revolutionary/refreshing?
    • Dynamic quest events, no more telling u to go from point a to point b. learn to read teh quests yourself and figure out what to do!
    • WvWvW.
    • How PvP/WvWvW allows a level 1 char to join in and be competetive from the ground up. no more leveling to max level like other mmo's to reap the benefits of pvp!
    • Game world design. see Lions Arch!
    • No monthly fee's on a game that same size as other mmo's you have to pay
    • Combat animation and system is refreshing. lots ov variations. for example your char will limp if injured during a fight!
    • Did i mention the quest system?

This game will be played by me and i imagine millions of others for years to come. They have nailed it with this game. a true breath of fresh air.

How would i sum up gw2?

one word, unique/refreshing.

every mmo, take a bow son, this is how you to try and shake up the genra!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

What can i say, Bwe3 is very stable and sound. It is ready to be unleashed fully IMO.

not much bugs/tweaks needed imo. the game runs bug free. no noticable game breaking bugs or lag for me which is great.

About the game. The game itself is a masterpiece. from the game levels/graphics, to the storyline and gameplay.

It all comes together to create such a fantastic dynamic world you can play in and experience.

There is 10000's of things you can do, from doing dynamic quests, WvW to just collecting a whole leap of items to create new armour or weapons!

• Dynamic quest events, no more telling u to go from point a to point b. learn to read teh quests yourself and figure out what to do!
    • WvWvW.
    • How PvP/WvWvW allows a level 1 char to join in and be competetive from the ground up. no more leveling to max level like other mmo's to reap the benefits of pvp!
    • Combat animation and system is refreshing. lots ov variations. for example your char will limp if injured during a fight!

This game will be played by me and i imagine millions of others for years to come. They have nailed it with this game. a true breath of fresh air.

How would i sum up gw2?

You seem to have enjoyed it :) Fair play..

I think calling it a masterpiece this early is somewhat over the top though :)

I didnt see much that made me sit up and take notice over the last few beta's, so I only played for about an hour this weekend. Game is paid for already, so I'll play it when it's released and make up my mind then, but I expect the pvp to fall well short as sadly it has in pretty much all recent games. Fingers crossed its better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

what is wrong with pvp?

I havent actually played it in GW2, only read up some minor posts on it which gave rise to some concerns, but in most recent games (not sure how many apply to GW2, would be interested to find out)

- Its not real open world.. its timed events/matches/battlegrounds..
    - No real tangeable goals in pvp which make a difference.. i.e. if we dominate via tactics, what does my realm get over yours?.. (i.e. like in real wars). If I control your keeps/territory, I should get continual rewards for this until you take it back..
    - 2 sides.. always fails due to mismatched numbers (or controlled numbers 16 v 16).. 3+ sides allows alliances to form to counter the big zerg realms
    - Lack of Crowd Control (Stuns, Mez, Lockdowns).. People whine about them nowadays when they exist because the can't run around like headless chickens and nuke/tank everything.. so most games don't have them.. It's dumbed down pvp without them, and it removes skills from the game and allows numbers to succeed alone.
    - No real reason to pvp.. Best gear comes for pve fighting mobs... which I find extremely tedious. DAOC had it spot on with Realm Abilities.. Abilities that you only got from killing other chars.. SWTOR emptied Ilum when they removed the need to pvp in open zones..
    etc :)

These items are of course somewhat personal (as any comments will be), but they are reasons (amongst others) why games like SWTOR, Conan, Aion, Warhammer etc etc. all failed from a pvp perspective and subs dropped off substantially.

I think a lot of people confuse pvp to be synonymous with WvWvW which is only one kind of pvp. The actual focus of pvp for GW2 is sPvP (structured PvP) which is quite different. WvWvW is just a mass of apposing forces trying to gain points by controlling points on a massive map. Its designed to be imbalanced in terms of numbers and I think one aspect is so that you can be totally outmatched for a while then everyone goes onto their guilds and tries to get more people to come on and turn the tide, which does happen. The balance comes in when the servers are matched up so you wont have one server playing against 2 weaker servers all the time, they will continuously rank the servers so they are more 'evenly matched' which you didnt see in the beta's.
    sPvP is 5 v 5 matches, where everyone has the opportunity to have the exact same armor, jewels, traits and skills (another big difference from WvWvW) in smaller maps where strategy and skill are paramount. From what ive been hearing (im not big into pvp) and seeing so far its probably the 'fairest' pvp structure in a long time. There is no gear treadmill to access and use to dominate others, its all about skill and strategy, nothing else. They are focussing on this form of pvp with the view to it becoming an e-game. I dont honestly know what people would be looking for in PvP but theoretically this seems perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I enjoyed pve more.
    I wouldn't worry about WvW being a zerg fest. This was just a beta weekend so, people were trying it out. Once the game goes live it will get more organized. You will see more small 5 man hit teams going after supplies and such. If your servers only tactic is to go for the one big zerg fest it will lose.

Xeyn wrote: »
    From what ive been hearing (im not big into pvp) and seeing so far its probably the 'fairest' pvp structure in a long time. There is no gear treadmill to access and use to dominate others, its all about skill and strategy, nothing else. They are focussing on this form of pvp with the view to it becoming an e-game. I dont honestly know what people would be looking for in PvP but theoretically this seems perfect.

If we applied the same design to pve would you consider it perfect?

No gear treadmill, no skill gains, and no char improvement from pulling together a perfect knit group to take on the main mob that none else has beaten.. and if you beat that mob.. nothing drops and no rewards for the effort..

Most pve'rs would quit a game like that.. and it is the same for a lot of pvp'ers.. there should be a reason for you to want to come out and fight me, and for you and your guild/realm to put some intelligence and thought into how you are going to take back your lands, keeps or dignity.. even if it is just becuase you will gain a new spell to make pve easier :)

Welease wrote: »
    I havent actually played it in GW2, only read up some minor posts on it which gave rise to some concerns, but in most recent games (not sure how many apply to GW2, would be interested to find out)

- Its not real open world.. its timed events/matches/battlegrounds..

I dont quite follow you here? I played it and its an open world from my understanding of it. Or do you mean the different territories are like battlegrounds? Fair enough.

- No real tangeable goals in pvp which make a difference.. i.e. if we dominate via tactics, what does my realm get over yours?.. (i.e. like in real wars). If I control your keeps/territory, I should get continual rewards for this until you take it back..

You do get rewarded with buffs etc for your world

- 2 sides.. always fails due to mismatched numbers (or controlled numbers 16 v 16).. 3+ sides allows alliances to form to counter the big zerg realms

- Lack of Crowd Control (Stuns, Mez, Lockdowns).. People whine about them nowadays when they exist because the can't run around like headless chickens and nuke/tank everything.. so most games don't have them.. It's dumbed down pvp without them, and it removes skills from the game and allows numbers to succeed alone.

There are stuns, mez lockdowns - they are more single target effects but i think a few classes has aoe. Just dont expect 10 second long lockdowns - because that swings the balance the other way.
    As stated above WvWvW is supposed to be imbalanced, its just one type of pvp and not the main one

- No real reason to pvp.. Best gear comes for pve fighting mobs... which I find extremely tedious. DAOC had it spot on with Realm Abilities.. Abilities that you only got from killing other chars.. SWTOR emptied Ilum when they removed the need to pvp in open zones..
    etc :)

Again that is WvWvW which is only one kind of pvp. WvWvW was designed so the only bonus you get was getting sidekicked up to 80. You can spend your time killing other players who do drop loot, but i think its been said that WvWvW is an accompanyment to pve as it is almost a marriage of the two. If you want a challenge I suggest spvp

These items are of course somewhat personal (as any comments will be), but they are reasons (amongst others) why games like SWTOR, Conan, Aion, Warhammer etc etc. all failed from a pvp perspective and subs dropped off substantially.

I personally think those who are hardcore pvp players will get gw2 for the sPvP and not the WvWvW which is just meant to be a bit of fun and not too serious (my opinion anyway!)
    But yeah I know where youre coming from, there are loads of people out there with different tastes, and few people will find gw2 'perfect' and gw2 certainly wont cater for everyone.

If you have no life and spend all day grinding for better gear that gives you the advantage over someone with a job, then yes GW2 is going to suck. With structured PVP in GW2 it's your skill that only matters.

I personally think those who are hardcore pvp players will get gw2 for the sPvP and not the WvWvW which is just meant to be a bit of fun and not too serious (my opinion anyway!)
    But yeah I know where youre coming from, there are loads of people out there with different tastes, and few people will find gw2 'perfect' and gw2 certainly wont cater for everyone.

hehe I hate battlegrounds (sPvP) ;) but i think you get my point (and I do agree with you in turn).. it's a bit early to call this game a masterpiece, Conan, Rift, SWTOR all looked great initially, but had glaring faults once people started playing them.. All are suffering (to various degrees now).

The problem with sPvP is that there is limited element of surprise.. it's a static battleground (in most cases) with no 3rd enemy who can hit from behind, you dont run over a hill in an 8 man, run into 30+ enemies, extend them back miles and kill them all.. and no real goal beyond being ahead after 10 minutes on a scoreboard... Unfortunately in games like Rift/SWTOR it also proved to be far more effective to pvp level in them than to actually go out and do something in open world pvp, but it also led to mass AFK's inside BG's where people just sucked up points etc. and Open World pvp was dead.

Anway we shall see how it pans out.. but I think most games companies have lost the art of developing decent pvp games.. pity (at least for us pvp'ers).

If we applied the same design to pve would you consider it perfect?

No gear treadmill, no skill gains, and no char improvement from pulling together a perfect knit group to take on the main mob that none else has beaten.. and if you beat that mob.. nothing drops and no rewards for the effort..

Most pve'rs would quit a game like that.. and it is the same for a lot of pvp'ers.. there should be a reason for you to want to come out and fight me, and for you and your guild/realm to put some intelligence and thought into how you are going to take back your lands, keeps or dignity.. even if it is just becuase you will gain a new spell to make pve easier :)

There is no gear treadmill in pve. You can max out very easily. All gains from the dungeons which will be insanely difficult and require as you said a near perfect group, will be cosmetic.
    But like I said, you DO get rewards from 'winning' in WvWvW

It evens the playing ground. Why should someone who has hours upon hours to grind every day have any advantage over someone else? If you want to stand out from the crowd you get unqiue weapon skins and armors as well as titles. Thats how it worked in GW1 which was very successful.

WvWvW is plenty popular so they must be doing something right.
    But maybe you have a point, what woulod you give as a reward for WvWvW (that doesnt give you an unfair advantage over someone else?)
    Bear in mind Arenanet want to stop antisocial gaming behaviour - so it cant be something that would cause the unwanted 'LFG - must have *WvWvW super skill* 1/5'

hehe I hate battlegrounds (sPvP) ;)

The problem with sPvP is that there is limited element of surprise.. it's a static battleground (in most cases) with no 3rd enemy who can hit from behind, you dont run over a hill in an 8 man, run into 30+ enemies, extend them back miles and kill them all.. and no real goal beyond being ahead after 10 minutes on a scoreboard...

To be honest I felt the exact same way regarding WvWvW with regards to the 'third party'. At first I just assumed everyone was a red enemy (because in pvp you dont get to see the names of the players) so maybe the 3rd party was there but simply was labelled as the red enemy to me anyway.
    Then i found out i was playing in the borderlands which i think is just 2 factions as far as i know, and that you have to play the Eternal Battlegrounds to get all the servers on one map.
    I havent figured it out yet to be honest. But the developer said that wvwvw was designed so that 2 servers could gang up on the 3rd one especially if the 3rd one is dominating (as a balancing mechanic), so that does intimate that 3 servers are supposed to fit on one map.

There is no gear treadmill in pve. You can max out very easily. All gains from the dungeons which will be insanely difficult and require as you said a near perfect group, will be cosmetic.
    But like I said, you DO get rewards from 'winning' in WvWvW

I suppose it will be one of those wait and see moments.. Will the pve'ers be content with cosmetic titles, and will pvp'ers be content with their rewards. I hope so, its getting dull watching games die so quickly recently.
    It evens the playing ground. Why should someone who has hours upon hours to grind every day have any advantage over someone else? If you want to stand out from the crowd you get unqiue weapon skins and armors as well as titles. Thats how it worked in GW1 which was very successful.

Why do all these type of discussion (respectfully) have to assume someone spend hours and hours a day grinding to get an advantage? I don't sit around all day grinding :) but I do know many pvp'ers like to gain items/abilities for their efforts (as do many pve'ers).
    Regarding GW1 it also had the advantage of being one of the few F2P games at the time, and it was also full of complete <cough>heads for exactly that reason.. It will be an interesting comparison now as the F2P market has exploded.
    WvWvW is plenty popular so they must be doing something right.
    But maybe you have a point, what woulod you give as a reward for WvWvW (that doesnt give you an unfair advantage over someone else?)
    Bear in mind Arenanet want to stop antisocial gaming behaviour - so it cant be something that would cause the unwanted 'LFG - must have *WvWvW super skill* 1/5'

It's popular at present, because its a beta.. Hopefully it will remain popular after release.. I do hope the game is a success but in the last 5 years I cannot think of a single game which had decent open world pvp.. so fingers crossed.
    As you said before.. defining the advantage can be complicated, because it will depend on how the game is structured and how the majority of players want to play the game.. DAOC had relics.. so if you took the keeps, then managed to get the relics (for both other realms) you could get up to 20% Strength and/or Power (Magic) bonus on all toons in that realm.. But obviously that gave you a lot to defend across the map, so it because somewhat easier for the other realms to get them back.. but it was high enough that it forced people across the realm to join up and come out for colossal battles that would last for a day back and forth across maps as keeps were taken and retaken and counter attacks performed. It also created realm leaders who would lead multiple guilds (hundreds of players) into battle with specific roles to fulfill. Or you could do with AOC did, and give the damage dealers 5 points and leave the healers with nothing ;) and sod all else.. It all depends on what they want to do..

But from a open world pvp perspective, I would put this a somewhat less than masterpiece in comparison to games from 10 years ago like DAOC. But how knows.. I may be (hopefully) surprised :)

To be honest I felt the exact same way regarding WvWvW with regards to the 'third party'. At first I just assumed everyone was a red enemy (because in pvp you dont get to see the names of the players) so maybe the 3rd party was there but simply was labelled as the red enemy to me anyway.
    Then i found out i was playing in the borderlands which i think is just 2 factions as far as i know, and that you have to play the Eternal Battlegrounds to get all the servers on one map.
    I havent figured it out yet to be honest. But the developer said that wvwvw was designed so that 2 servers could gang up on the 3rd one especially if the 3rd one is dominating (as a balancing mechanic), so that does intimate that 3 servers are supposed to fit on one map.

ahh that sounds like good news.. :) 3 worlds is far more exciting and throws in more opportunity for "wtf just happened there.. we were all over those guys" as you release back to the keep ;)

Yeah I guess the only way to know for sure is if you try! Hopefully you like it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Nialinius

Wow, 3 years since the trailer was released and it's finally about to be launched. Must be that good then.

I haven't really thought about it but I reckon I'll be trying this when it's out. Same thing when Skyrim was released last year, didn't think I'd be playing that lol

Very early for people to say its a masterpiece then again i think the same chap said the same a few months ago here :)

Im super cautious when it comes to yet another new MMO with promises of this and that,ive been burned so many times.
    I put off pre ordering GW2 for this very reason and decided to wait and see if i got into a beta or wait for reviews.
    What i did play of the beta was great in parts but i didnt spend enough time to make a fair judgement but i saw enough to decide i will definitely be buying it now.
    The fact it doesnt have a subscription makes it not near as big a risk as subscription MMOs.

I really enjoyed the PVE i thought it was excellent and worthy of a purchase alone, maybe if i played more WvWvW id have enjoyed it more, quite a lot of people reckon the game is worth it for this alone.
    Only time will tell but my initial caution has turned into confidence for the finished product.

I did experience 2 random CTD but apart from that i experienced no lag,framerates were well over 60-70 fps at max settings @ 1920X1080.
    It seemed very polished indeed and a definite pre order for me now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

maybe if i played more WvWvW id have enjoyed it more, quite a lot of people reckon the game is worth it for this alone.

WvWvW will be worth it eventually. The beta weekends were an uncoordinated mess and the first few weeks of release will be as well. Only once matches settle into the two week rhythm, get balanced properly and players learn how to actually play it will its potential be realised. At the moment it's just groups of people aimlessly running around or else wasting time trying to auto attack their way into a keep, I didn't bother with it much either for that reason.

TB`s final beta thoughts, i tend to agree with pretty much everything he says.
    I too am slightly concerned about what the endgame might be like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there actually no "end-game" content? I know everything can scale to your level, but if there really only 1 dungeon that is designed for max levels? Cause in a world where players go bat **** crazy because of lack of content, that doesn't sound too good.

They have made a point that levels dont matter and the whole game is end content. I know its a very big divorce from previous games and will take time for people to get their head around. Do a 'level 30 dungeon' at level 80 is just as challenging as doing a level 80 dungeon at level 80 and the loot scales to your actual level. As there are various modes to each dungeon the content shouldnt get old (too quickly anyway) so instead of traditional games where there might be one or two dungeons on the way to max level and those dungeons being optional as you wont outgrow the loot it rewarded you with in just a few more levels, you can repeat every single dungeon in the game in gw2 and be rewarded appropriately for it. Remember their is not gear treadmill, so youre essentially playing for skins, titles, consumables etc.
    But we just dont know what the end game will be like. If enough people dont like it im sure they will change. Remember there will be people hitting 80 in a matter of days not weeks so we will know by the end of week 1 what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• WvWvW.

How would i sum up gw2?

Easy there mate you'll have a hernia.
    IMO this game is actually a step down from the original.

This to means you have to wait for quests to begin.
    "Events" are just another way of packaging quests, nothing new there. This is now no different to rift, rift had it's events too but they got boring fast. All quests boil down to kill mobs, get item or insert correct dialogue, this is no different.
    it's been done. Also you are forgetting the effect of runes in this game, runs that you will not have at level 1.

Game world design. see Lions Arch!

Sure the graphics are a bit better, I would expect that although the colours used are a bit bright and cartoonish.

People think this stuff is the bomb because it's free, well there are now several FTP MMORPGs out these days so,

Now some other thoughts:

Single class/ single skill set, don't bother talking about equipping weapons -not interested in going there today. So from that point of view it is encouraging cookie cutter builds.

The "trifacto" has already been done in dc universe online and tbh, it's lacking the precision of having predefined classes.

I played pvp in the original to a pretty high rank and one of the best things about it were the shear amount of different team specs that would break through, get countered and dissappear.
    Now ANet are just offering balanced teams, which is restricting choice.

Another thing: are instances so bad? and if so why? They did allow the designers to tailor make the maps for predefined party sizes.

No second class system is a real worry for me, I would have thought that ANet would build on their previous experiences and expanded on this, but they didn't, so in a sense what they are doing now is something totally different for ANet but pretty familiar to the other mmorpg designers.

What GW2 does right is pretty much what it has always done right, level cap and no reward for grinding unless you count cosmetic.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but I'm still not convinced the changes are for the best, I'll of course reserve judgement until the final product arrives, but after playing 2 betas I had no desire to play the third and now I'll just wait for the full release.
    Oh and sorry for the delivery I'm a bit all over the place today.

Remember there will be people hitting 80 in a matter of days not weeks so we will know by the end of week 1 what the situation is.
    And they're the ones that are going to be saying "the games sucks there is nothing to do" because, they've rushed through the game skipping 90% of the content. It's not WoW were the fun starts when you hit 80. So, if you play this game with a WoW mentality it's going suck.

This is what I think of "endgame" , I DON'T CARE. I'm going to take my sweet time exploring every nook and cranny, watch and follow dynamic events closely and talk to every NPC I run into to. If I get seven months of entertainment out of GW2 it's still money well spent. They managed to keep people interested with GW1 for years with out the WoW model of a gear treadmill so, I'm not that worried. Plus they have WvWvW to keep me interested.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade but I'm still not convinced the changes are for the best, I'll of course reserve judgement until the final product arrives, but after playing 2 betas I had no desire to play the third and now I'll just wait for the full release.
    Oh and sorry for the delivery I'm a bit all over the place today.
    Your not raining on my parade mate because I don't care what you think of GW2. I've had a ball the last couple of beta's and can't wait for the 25th. If kung fu Panda is what you enjoy well fine, off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If kung fu Panda is what you enjoy well fine, off you go.

I'm trying to make sense of this but I can't. Oh and I am totally within my rights to express my opinion, so off YOU go!

Advertisement