Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'll definitely give it a go when it comes out, but I haven't been blown away with what I've seen so far to be honest, maybe that'll change when I give it a good go.

Seems to me that it's just another free to play mmorpg now, and there are already a ton of these out already.
    I think they took a step backwards when they removed the secondary classes and removed a lot of dept. Looks like most classes will now be mainly the same now and that can't be good.

Also by making no dedicated healer classes, they grayed the differences between classes, a lot of people loved playing dedicated healing classes/tanks/dps.

Looks like they have taken a lot of dept out of the game-play and replaced it with meh. I might change my mind at some stage, these are just my first impressions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I'll definitely give it a go when it comes out, but I haven't been blown away with what I've seen so far to be honest, maybe that'll change when I give it a good go.

Seems to me that it's just another free to play mmorpg now, and there are already a ton of these out already.
    I think they took a step backwards when they removed the secondary classes and removed a lot of dept. Looks like most classes will now be mainly the same now and that can't be good.

Also by making no dedicated healer classes, they grayed the differences between classes, a lot of people loved playing dedicated healing classes/tanks/dps.

Looks like they have taken a lot of dept out of the game-play and replaced it with meh. I might change my mind at some stage, these are just my first impressions.

I've tried a lot of the f2p mmorpg, and I'll freely admit that I'm a massive GW fan, so of course I'm going to have a positive opinion of the game from the get-go, but a lack of depth is not something I'd about the games classes. The last BWE I was adventuring with a group of friends of different classes, and the different classes meshed together fantastically, while still giving each person a different thing to do in combat, rather than feeling that we were all just applying damage.

Also, fantastic news about the release date!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Well at least we know. Wont get much play time before sixth year starts though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Just seen this article on GuildWarsGuru about how you can prepare for Guild Wars 2 :D

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/624-ten-things-to-do-to-prepare-yourself-for-release/

Really good read!

• Advertisement

Just seen this article on GuildWarsGuru about how you can prepare for Guild Wars 2 :D

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/624-ten-things-to-do-to-prepare-yourself-for-release/

Really good read!

Hom30 before release for new players? Bit steep.

Yeah, especially if you dont like grinding or pvp, I got over 30 but a nice chunk came from pvp related titles. I suggest buying armor for your heroes, unlocking some skills and getting some pets, also some elite armor is quite cheap especially if you sell zaishen keys from random arena for 5K each.

I just checked my HoM....3. FML

/me launches Guild Wars 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Someone on another forum tried to calculate the size of the playable PvE area using one of the jumping skills. Apparently it clocks in at 94 square kilometers. He hasn't measured WvW yet but a rough estimate puts it at 28 square kilometers. Just for comparison Skyrim was 41 square kilometers.

Obviously they're just rough estimates and don't even take underwater, underground, dungeons and upper city levels into account. Considering how much content there seems to be and so little empty space just padding out the map, I think that's an impressive size for launch.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Someone on another forum tried to calculate the size of the playable PvE area using one of the jumping skills. Apparently it clocks in at 94 square kilometers. He hasn't measured WvW yet but a rough estimate puts it at 28 square kilometers. Just for comparison Skyrim was 41 square kilometers.

Obviously they're just rough estimates and don't even take underwater, underground, dungeons and upper city levels into account. Considering how much content there seems to be and so little empty space just padding out the map, I think that's an impressive size for launch.

Saw that thread on GW2guru also. It's a good size for launch, however i'm a bit skeptical about the guys' methods for measuring the full area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

i assumed it be sept or oct earliest tbh, little worried it might have some janky edges cause seems aloooot of work left to be done, but damn i want the game and its coming. wootwoot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Cant wait to play it with my new pc weeeeeeeeeee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Anyone know if there is an Irish guild being formed? I see the mountaingaming site on the other thread doesnt work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If we form a boards.ie guild, the game is guaranteed to fail within 2 months :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

During the Public Beta and Stress tests, Mikey had formed a guild named "Boards.ie".
    I don't know if this is an offical Irish guild,
    It would be good to get an offical Irish Guild up and running, with all on the same server when the game goes live.

Yeah it would be nice to be playing with a bunch of local lads if nothing more for the banter. If anyone is up for it keep us informed on this thread - if the boards.ie guild is up for the next beta w/end ill check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted on here, But it's release date time and it's time again to fuel the fire and get the Hype train moving again!! WOOP!

So the game is out on the 28th or the 25th for those of us fortunate enough to have pre-purchased it and i think its about time to sort out what we are going to do as a community.

My Original plan was to set up an all Irish/UK Guild for Guild Wars 2 this will still be happening but on a much smaller scale.

Now most of you will have heard that you can join multiple guilds in Guild Wars 2 and when you log in you are given the choice of which guild that you are a member of to represent.

When you represent a Guild you are able to use that Guild's Guild Chat and avail of the Buffs and other good things that a Guild provides.

For the guys that are not aware during the Beta Weekends most of the guys who are interested in playing Guild Wars 2 on Boards all rolled on Ring of Fire.

This I feel was only a temporary measure as the server did seem to be lacking a lot of English speaking Guilds.

The main concern I had was that the lack of numbers for the Irish guild would discourage people from representing us when the log in and this in time would lead to the deterioration of the guild.

Ok mikey so what's the solution you ask?

Well I was thinking about it and trying to come up with a solution.

Dark Reavers is a UK based guild with a lot of Irish and UK players focusing and gearing up for the launch of Guild Wars 2.

Dark Reavers have chosen Desolation as their BETA Server but by the looks of things this could end up being there chosen live server.

Desolation seems to have a whole load of English speaking guilds and has become the unofficial English speaking/English guilds based Guild wars 2 server.

I applied and joined Dark Reavers a few weeks back to see how they get on and what the Guild is like and so far its been great.

I have been on the forums with them and it seems like a very solid well established UK guild.

They do require an application to become part of the Guild but I didn't have much trouble getting accepted.

I think the benefits of joining a large established guild like this are the sheer numbers and knowledge there will always be people online and people you can chat too.

I vote that to keep everyone together and not to saturate the Small Guild Wars 2 Irish community we all apply to Dark Reavers.

Now wait! ALSO remember above I spoke of being able to join two guilds!

If everyone is happy enough I will set up the "Boards.ie" Guild again when the game goes live on the new server of Desolation.

This guild will be the smaller friendlier social guild with guys from Boards and here abouts that can go on and have a chat and have some fun here also.

I think this solution gives everyone on here a sense of unity and we can always come back to the Boards.ie guild and have discussions in game.

While also having Dark Reavers as the larger guild that people can join will stop people getting feelings of isolation and stop people leaving and allow everyone to have a good time.

TLDR:

I vote Dark Reavers to become are go to Irish/Uk large guild that we can all join and have the craic and also have another guild called Boards.ie setup that we can all fall back to for more personal discussion and smaller group activity's and events.

I am in the process of discussing this with the Officers over at Dark Reavers and hopefully everything is fine to go ahead and i don't see why it would be as they seem like a great bunch of lads.

I was wondering if you can provide your feedback of the situation and what kind of Guild you would like to join?
    Hit me back! :D

Mikey

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Thanks for the heads up Mikey, I've just sent in my application.
    It would be nice to have both Guilds,
    With the Boards.ie guild we can easily view / organize things that we need ourselves, and with a larger guild we would have access to a large knowledge base.

Thanks Mikey. Sent in my application and will be joining boards.ie as well at the pre launch!
    Will post my chars names when it goes live for invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Very good move Mikey, I'm very glad you are going this route. I also joined Dark Reavers and have been playing with them in the 2nd beta. very organised and very welcoming. A big Thumbs up from me, see you guys in Dark Reavers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Just look at how much thought went into the cooking craft in this game. It made me hungry watching this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPWp1Yh_30&feature=relmfu

Anybody else very skeptical about their claims regarding system requirements on release? From experience and talking to people who played the betas, it would seem that the optimisation is going very slow.

Well they said that optimization is the last thing they would do, so they would probably only start working on it after bwe2. From what i understand the process doesnt take months and months.
    There is an article showing how quickly gw1 went from a dreadful looking gaming to a great looking game from alpha to beta tests which wasnt very long.

TBH, I don't see anything in this game that I would consider graphically demanding. So I'd say it'll be fine on the night.
    Saying that I just picked up a gtx670 so, it'll be alright regardless ^ ^.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Anybody else very skeptical about their claims regarding system requirements on release? From experience and talking to people who played the betas, it would seem that the optimisation is going very slow.

Are you worried? I'm not. What are your system specs?

I just seen this on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki
    A player may link as many guilds as they would like to their account, and may choose which guild they would like to represent on any character at any time. Some options available to support guilds include guild achievements, a calendar, and the ability to join guild chat from a web browser.

"Link as many guilds as they would like....."

Ahem..

GNzJ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TBH, I don't see anything in this game that I would consider graphically demanding. So I'd say it'll be fine on the night.
    Saying that I just picked up a gtx670 so, it'll be alright regardless ^ ^.

The main problem atm is the last 2 bwes havent been optimised to make use of the GPU and the game has been running mainly of the CPU. This is what optimisation is about and is why some people are worried

From the @GuildWars2 Twitter account
    Asura and sylvari will be playable in the next Beta Weekend Event! Keep an eye on arena.net/blog for details later this morning. ~RB2

That...is...AWESOME!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Some french mmo site (JeuxOnline.info) accidentally made some asura gameplay vids public earlier today on Youtube, they've since been made private. They then asked people who were quick enough to download them not to upload as they will be made public at 7pm this evening when a press embargo is lifted.

I managed to see the vids, 1 of a golem mini game which looked like fun, 2 exploration vids of Rata Sum and another area..Rata Sum looks awesome.

Fingers crossed we may be seeing a flood of asura gameplay vids later on, which maybe just maybe hinting at playable asura in the next bwe..

• Advertisement

From the @GuildWars2 Twitter account

That...is...AWESOME!
    I'm staying away from the Sylvari zone until launch. I want to keep it a surprise.
    Cool video on the Little things that make this game special.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=g-user-c

Advertisement