Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Was DC and lag free for most part today, done about 3 hours of engineer, also done an hour of the WvW PVP it was immense. Really cant wait for game now, I get the feeling it might actually live up to its hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Was DC and lag free for most part today, done about 3 hours of engineer, also done an hour of the WvW PVP it was immense. Really cant wait for game now, I get the feeling it might actually live up to its hype.

Of course it will! :D

Ive been playing Guardian all day and i havent had this much fun in a very long time :D its soo fun and vibrant and it just is amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Is anyone playing atm? According to their Facebook, everything seems to be down inc the forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I played norn for 30 minutes then got kicked, so i just played some quake live
    instead ^ ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I quite enjoyed this to start with, but got a bit bored after a while. I'm loving some of the little touches (like when you're crafting multiple items it speeds up the time to complete each one, so you're not waiting ages), but it kind of seems a bit too similar to most other MMO's without it's full PvP, which I'm dying to give a go.

It really is well put together though. The highlight for me being the soundtrack which is absolutely brilliant! I'm finding the targeting to be fairly sh*te though. You're standing in front of a guy who's hitting you, you hit TAB to target the nearest enemy, and it targets some passive animal standing nearby, and the two of them kick the crap out of you. This has happened more times than I'd like. I know it can be sorted by paying more attention to what is highlighted, but in the middle of a battle, it really should only target enemies.

Other than that, and a bit of difficulty logging in yesterday, I've had no problems at all.

One thing about server selection though, that I was wondering about. Can you only create characters on one server and then have to pay if you ever want them moved to another? Or can you create characters on various servers? Just wondering as I've friends in Europe and the US, so was wondering if I'd have to pick one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm loving it so far, and have only had time for about 6 hours play. Norn Guardian ftw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stemtrex

I had such a good time playing! Done until the next beta. Love this game, loved how everyone interacted with each other all the time, felt like a true mmo experience!
    I was playing with a few heads from boards, i was steppy. Hope to see yis all again next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Enjoying it so far.. am I the only one staying up till 8am to get every last second from the beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great weekend, cant wait for the next bwe and the release. Final thing me and my mate did was jump off the bridge in lions arch and unexpectedly found the massive underwater reef and spent the next twenty minutes exploring that which i think is a pretty good example of how most of my playtime went this weekend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

humanji wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed this to start with, but got a bit bored after a while. I'm loving some of the little touches (like when you're crafting multiple items it speeds up the time to complete each one, so you're not waiting ages), but it kind of seems a bit too similar to most other MMO's without it's full PvP, which I'm dying to give a go.

It really is well put together though. The highlight for me being the soundtrack which is absolutely brilliant! I'm finding the targeting to be fairly sh*te though. You're standing in front of a guy who's hitting you, you hit TAB to target the nearest enemy, and it targets some passive animal standing nearby, and the two of them kick the crap out of you. This has happened more times than I'd like. I know it can be sorted by paying more attention to what is highlighted, but in the middle of a battle, it really should only target enemies.

Other than that, and a bit of difficulty logging in yesterday, I've had no problems at all.

One thing about server selection though, that I was wondering about. Can you only create characters on one server and then have to pay if you ever want them moved to another? Or can you create characters on various servers? Just wondering as I've friends in Europe and the US, so was wondering if I'd have to pick one or the other.
    Tab isn't target nearest enemy, it targets an enemy in a direct line in front of you from where you are facing and then tabs through all targets in a list from that point. You can rebind a key for target nearest target. It's the same system as Guild Wars 1 uses and can be a little frustrating to get to terms with until you are used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Well, that's that, an hour before the servers closed, there was an announcement for an end game event, which basically turned out to be a massive Norn Hunt, with all those harmless creatures like rats and raccoons being made super powerful. And it ended with everyone having to fight a near indestructible White Rabbit. Would have preferred if we were all blown up somehow, but a Monty Python reference is a good way to end it too.

Ivan wrote:
    Tab isn't target nearest enemy, it targets an enemy in a direct line in front of you from where you are facing and then tabs through all targets in a list from that point. You can rebind a key for target nearest target. It's the same system as Guild Wars 1 uses and can be a little frustrating to get to terms with until you are used to it.
    Ah, that explains it. Of course, it's too late now for me to try it. DAMN!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I had a great weekend playing GW2. If this is only a taste of whats to come. BRING IT ON! Will be playing a lot on the next weekend and release!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hi. I played the beta over the weekend with two chars. One was a male Mesmer (level 6) and the other was a female Human Elementalist (level 10). Below are pros and cons of the game so far

Cons:
    • General Performance (On a build up area/city or a large battle, frame rates are poor. I’m seeing as low as 10fps with both my cup and GPU on idle and hardly being used).
    • Game Breaker bug (If you are in a WvWvW battleground map and get DC, you CANNOT log back in as you get an error saying the map is full! This will happen to any place where the map u was playing is a highly populated map but Arena Net are aware of this as they responded to my forum post about it)
    • WvWvW battleground que(i manage to get in once early on Saturday and then got kicked out and lost my character, see previous con. After trying to get back in battlegrounds on a new char, the que was too long.)
    • Login (As some people may have been aware, the login system was very very flaky. I manage to login fine an hour before official green light of the beta but after that I could not login at all on Friday night. Saturday Morning it was fine but then later tried Saturday evening and didn’t work. Throughout Sunday it was fine though but I hope they fix it permanently. I can deal with que’s on certain servers but logging in? That needs to be sorted.)

Pros:
    • Best Graphics and art style in any game I have played (dynamic weather, night and day, fog!!).
    • Fantastic World designs (Just go and take a look at videos of Lions Arche. I was speechless when I saw this place!).
    • Great Combat (More dynamic then many other mmo’s I have played and even better then skyrim).
    • WvWvW(I can see myself spending weeks just playing this game mode. Literally 10000’s of people battling it out across a gigantic game world with the ability to get supplies and build various defensive weapons to defend your castle/base. A level 1 can participate! This is because everyone’s health and damage abilities are level 80 but you can only use the skills/weapons you have unlocked yourself).
    • Dynamic Events (This is fantastic. No more of the old quest type system found on basically every mmo you play nowadays! Dynamic events happen randomly in various places in the world. I spent hours just doing them! )
    • Story mode (Story mode is instance based. It is basically a personally story mode where u go to a particular place and load up the instance. The story mode is brilliant from the small bit I played. Finally a MMO that has a compelling story mode that’s similar to a typical single player RPG game. I did a few last nights but did not want to do a lot to ruin the experience when final game comes out.)

As you can see I really enjoy this game. Elementalist is a fun class. Lots of abilities and Mesmer is not bad too. For next beta I will try two different classes again and see how it goes. I cannot wait for this game to be out but from my experience so far, this game is maybe 2-3months away from release IMO as there is a few things that need to be ironed out as noted on my Cons. One being a game breaker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I havent preordered yet but will do this week,i knew i wouldnt get time to play over the weekend but ive yet to read or hear about major negatives which is amazing in itself, usually its 50/50 on a new mmo after beta events.
    I watched a few streams for a few minutes here and there but most were pvping,i heard one caster say its a 100% pvp game :eek:
    Im really hoping not, i was so looking forward to dynamic random pve events, any thought guys?

• General Performance (On a build up area/city or a large battle, frame rates are poor. I’m seeing as low as 10fps with both my cup and GPU on idle and hardly being used).

I've herd this from others too but my game play was fine. No poor frame rates at all. What are the specs of your PC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    Im really hoping not, i was so looking forward to dynamic random pve events, any thought guys?

It's not 100%, but i'd say it's definitely more focused on PvP then PvE. You can do dungeons in Explore mode (which is basically Heroic iirc), but that's about it.

Got this from another forum, so not sure how accurate it is.
    8 dungeons with 4 modes each.
    1 story mode (easy)
    3 explorable modes (really hard). All 4 modes have differents pathways/bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've herd this from others too but my game play was fine. No poor frame rates at all. What are the specs of your PC?

The beta was optimised for cpu so was barely touching peoples gpu, so i and alot of others noticed pretty low fps especially in wvw, im praying they change this for the full game and its only a test measure for something as i spent a fair bit on my current graphics card because i wanted to take the pressure off my cpu with a gpu

VinLieger wrote: »
    The beta was optimised for cpu so was barely touching peoples gpu, so i and alot of others noticed pretty low fps especially in wvw, im praying they change this for the full game and its only a test measure for something as i spent a fair bit on my current graphics card because i wanted to take the pressure off my cpu with a gpu

Don't most MMO's rely more on the CPU? I thought they did. Like I say, I had no lag at all. I running a i5 2500k and Nivida 570.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will there be more beta weekends?If I pre purchase now will I get into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Will there be more beta weekends?If I pre purchase now will I get into them?

yes, and yes

afaik :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wossack wrote: »
    yes, and yes

afaik :)

oh it's very tempting so : )

i7 920 at 3.8ghz, 6gb ram and a overclocked 480gtx in water

Dcully wrote: »
    I havent preordered yet but will do this week,i knew i wouldnt get time to play over the weekend but ive yet to read or hear about major negatives which is amazing in itself, usually its 50/50 on a new mmo after beta events.
    I watched a few streams for a few minutes here and there but most were pvping,i heard one caster say its a 100% pvp game :eek:
    As Kiith says, it's not 100% PvP, but it's aimed that way. Though it's designed to be accessible to hardcore PVP gamers and casual PvP. The dynamic events in the WvWvW games will be pretty much set by what players do. For example, when your side has a keep and, I think it's a stronghold that generaates supplies for you, a supply caravan will have to move between both places, meaning you have to guard it against other player teams. This is just like the PvE caravan events that you find around the map.

It seems like it will be pretty handy for people like me, who haven't a f*cking clue what they're doing.

Also, was the PvP active in the beta? I didn't see any sign of it. How did I miss this? :(

i7 920 at 3.8ghz, 6gb ram and a overclocked 480gtx in water

I was playing WvWvW last night with 40 plus others popping off their stuff and it was smooth as butter. My I5 2500k is faster but not that much. Your system should have no problem with this game.:confused:

humanji wrote: »
    As Kiith says, it's not 100% PvP, but it's aimed that way. Though it's designed to be accessible to hardcore PVP gamers and casual PvP. The dynamic events in the WvWvW games will be pretty much set by what players do. For example, when your side has a keep and, I think it's a stronghold that generaates supplies for you, a supply caravan will have to move between both places, meaning you have to guard it against other player teams. This is just like the PvE caravan events that you find around the map.

It seems like it will be pretty handy for people like me, who haven't a f*cking clue what they're doing.

Also, was the PvP active in the beta? I didn't see any sign of it. How did I miss this? :(

For those that hate PVP and I'm one of them, WvWvW was very fun. I can see myself doing a lot of it. So, don't be discouraged.

I was playing WvWvW last night with 40 plus others popping off their stuff and it was smooth as butter. My I5 2500k is faster but not that much. Your system should have no problem with this game.:confused:

is your i5 overclocked

is your i5 overclocked

Yes, to 4.7 GHz

• Advertisement

I was playing with a i3-2100 not OC. Worked perfectly!

Advertisement