Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Ian Smith has revealed the reasons behind his forthcoming return to Neighbours as Harold Bishop.

The actor retired from the soap in 2008 and has since been travelling around Australia with his wife Gail. However, he has now signed on to film a six-week comeback, citing financial reasons for his U-turn.

Speaking to the Herald Sun, he explained: "Let's be brutally honest here, we suffered a heavy whack in the recession and to make up a bit of that it was sensible to go back and earn a few dollars."

Smith added that he was attracted to the possibility of playing Harold one more time, saying: "The first time I left the show I did not get the chance to say goodbye to him properly and that really was a problem, I did miss that opportunity.

"I do think of him as a silly old fart, but maybe as a totally lovable one."

Smith had previously revealed: "Harold is called back to Ramsay Street to help a friend... And of course there's human pathos, there's laughs - lots of laughs - [and] a little bit of romance."

Scott McGregor has revealed that he would not rule out a comeback storyline for his Neighbours character Mark Brennan.

Mark is to leave Erinsborough in the second half of 2011 as McGregor has decided to bow out from the role after less than a year.

In an interview with the official Neighbours website, McGregor was asked whether Mark could eventually return to provide some fresh happiness for his on-off girlfriend Kate Ramsay, played by Ashleigh Brewer.

He replied: "Hmm, he could. His exit has been written so there is a chance he could make a comeback. Who knows, you'll have to keep watching!"

McGregor recently explained that he wants to return to his modelling career, but he has now clarified that he would also like to pursue new acting roles.

"There are still a lot of opportunities in modelling, but I definitely want to continue acting," he said. "I've got the bug now."

The star also paid tribute to Brewer and Scott Major (Lucas Fitzgerald) for their continued support on set.

Asked who he has most enjoyed working with, McGregor replied: "Probably Ash because I didn't expect to click with someone so well and I don't think she realises she has made it a hell of a lot easier for me in my first real acting role - she's taught me a lot. And also Scotty Major has been great, very generous with his time and I've valued his advice along the way."

Brennan's departure scenes are expected to air on Australian screens in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's that time of year again folks... The 2nd annual Boards.ie Soap Awards!!!
    Get your nominations in for all your favourite soaps before May 31st...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056255455

Be sure to read the opening post carefully before nominating...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Ian Smith has hinted that his Neighbours character Harold Bishop will feel torn between Toadie and Sonya when he makes his Ramsay Street comeback.

Harold will soon return to Erinsborough in a bid to help Toadie Rebecchi, who contacts him for advice following the revelation that Sonya is Callum's biological mother.

However, speaking to TV Week, Smith confirmed that Harold is not sure what to make of Toadie and Sonya's dispute as he settles back into life on the street.

He commented: "Harold sympathises with the situation, but he can't make up his mind about who is wrong, or if it's just a human mix-up."

Smith added that Harold begins to recognise that Toadie and Sonya belong together, despite the ongoing tension between the pair.

"He knows how Toadie and Sonya feel about each other and he can't see why they aren't together," Smith said.

Ryan Moloney, who plays Toadie, recently explained that he would like to see "a glimmer of hope" for his character's future with Sonya.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Benjamin McNair has signed up for a return stint on Neighbours, reprising his role as Malcolm Kennedy.

The actor makes his screen comeback in mid-July as Karl and Susan's eldest child pays a visit back to Ramsay Street amid a troubled time for the Kennedys.

Malcolm decides to return home to Erinsborough to help salvage his parents' marriage, which faces another rocky patch when Susan develops an emotional connection to another man.

Speaking of his return, McNair commented: "It's great to be back. While there have been a few changes and lots of new faces, mum [Jackie Woodburne] and dad [Alan Fletcher] are still the same, so it really is like coming home."

McNair's original stint on Neighbours ran from 1994 to 1997. He later returned for guest appearances in 2002 and 2004 and was also involved in the show's 20th anniversary celebrations in 2005.

Since then, Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher have often called for a comeback storyline for Malcolm.

The character's latest stint will last for four months and McNair will return to filming next week.

• Advertisement

Neighbours star Jordy Lucas has explained Lyn Scully's forthcoming departure from the soap, confirming that she leaves Ramsay Street for the sake of her daughter Steph and grandson Charlie.

Last month, reports revealed that actress Janet Andrewartha was bowing out from her role as Lyn after playing the character on and off since 1999.

Steph, meanwhile, made her final appearance on Neighbours late last year as she was jailed for causing Ringo Brown's tragic death while driving under the influence of alcohol.

Speaking to Digital Spy about the reasons for her on-screen grandmother's exit, Lucas - who plays Summer Hoyland - explained: "Well, it has a lot to do with how Charlie is coping without Steph. Lyn knows that he needs to have more contact with his mum and the only way to do that is to move closer to the prison where Steph is doing her time."

Meanwhile, asked about rumours that Kyle Canning and Jade Mitchell will soon be moving into Lyn's home at Number 26, the actress replied: "Without giving too much away, there is a bit of house-hopping coming up and yes, Number 26 is set to have some new residents and Summer finds a new home. It's really fun when all the characters' storylines cross over each other and that's how it would be in a neighbourhood."

Lucas also admitted that she has missed having Andrewartha on set since she filmed her final scenes as Lyn.

"She really was like my nan and always provided heaps of advice for myself and the other younger actors," the 19-year-old said. "And she was lots of fun so we certainly notice her absence in the green room."

Full interview here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

What do ye think of the storyline at the moment. I think its good that they mix it up...One day it is mostly about Andrew/Summer/Tasha while the next programme most of it might be on the Callum/Sonya storyline while the first storyline mightent even be in that. Compare that to Fair City where the same old Barry/Denzo is on.

I really like Neighbours, been watching it since I was a teenager! It's great they don't really drag out the storylines or focus them like you said. They bring a mix in

Neighbours bosses have today announced the casting of actor Ben Barber as new regular character Rhys Lawson.

The 27-year-old has already filmed his first scenes as Rhys, a doctor who is tipped to cause a stir in Erinsborough as his arrival will not go down well with some of the locals.

Barber started work on set last week, shooting alongside established cast members Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher (Susan and Karl Kennedy).

Speaking of his casting, the new recruit commented: "I love the character, he is very determined and focused. I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

550w_neighbours_ben_barber.jpg © Five

Pictured: Ben Barber (Rhys Lawson)

Barber, who trained at the National Institute of Dramatic Arts, will hit screens in Australia in July.

News of his arrival follows last week's announcement that Benjamin McNair is returning to Neighbours for a four-month guest stint as Malcolm Kennedy.

Other recent cast changes have seen James Mason (Chris Pappas) and Christopher Milligan (Kyle Canning) promoted to regular fixtures in Erinsborough.

Neighbours star Scott McGregor has revealed that his character Mark Brennan makes his departure in a special 'real-time' episode of the soap.

The actor explained that the show's bosses took inspiration from 24 while making plans for the police detective's exit.

McGregor has already filmed his final scenes as Mark after deciding to leave the long-running drama.

Hinting at what fans can expect from Mark's last episode, McGregor told the Daily Star: "My farewell was filmed in real time, like the US show 24."

He added: "You see lots of clocks throughout. It's dark but very cool."

Mark was introduced to Neighbours last year as he investigated Erinsborough's 'Who pushed Paul Robinson?' mystery. He later embarked on a relationship with Kate Ramsay.

McGregor has previously teased that Mark's exit "could be happier". However, the door is expected to be left open for the character's return.

• Advertisement

Maybe its got something to do with his OCD or the fact that time is running out for him to be with Kate? hmmm

On another note: Harolds back!! :D:D Can't believe how much I missed him, he's great. Troy - not so much. Just want that family back together

Neighbours bosses have announced that award-winning actor John Wood has joined the cast of the soap, taking on the part of an Erinsborough doctor.

The 64-year-old, best known for playing Senior Sergeant Tom Croydon in police drama Blue Heelers, starts filming with the Ramsay Street drama next week and will appear on screen for six months.

Wood's latest role sees him portray strict medical man Martin Chambers, who has a reputation for taking his work very seriously.

As new doctor Rhys Lawson (Ben Barber) starts to get settled in at the Erinsborough Hospital, he soon learns that Martin doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Speaking of Neighbours' latest casting, executive producer Susan Bower commented: "We're all thrilled to welcome John to Ramsay Street for what is going to be a great story."

Wood's 12-year role on Blue Heelers helped him to secure Australia's prestigious Gold Logie prize in 2006. He has also starred in Rafferty's Rules, Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities and Offspring.

Australian viewers will see Martin's first appearance on screen in September.

Neighbours could be in line for its first ever gay couple after casting a love interest for gay character Chris Pappas (James Mason).

Bob Morley has been cast as male nurse Aidan Foster in the soap, a love interest for Pappas.

The former Home and Away actor said that it made no difference whether or not his character was gay when he signed on to Neighbours.

He told the Herald Sun: "I don't see it as a big deal that the character is gay.

"It certainly doesn't define him and what the writers have planned is really interesting and authentic."

Morley's contract is currently for six months, but it may be extended in the future.

Neighbours' executive producer Susan Bower said that it was only a matter of time before Mason's character had a love interest. She explained: "To be true to the Chris character, now he is a regular in storylines, we knew at some stage he needed to meet someone.

"How it unfolds, all will be revealed. However, I think viewers will find the story compelling."

About time they give Chris a love interest. It gives him a better chance to get more involved in the show

Cookie33 wrote: »
    About time they give Chris a love interest. It gives him a better chance to get more involved in the show

I would agree with that, be good to see him more involved.

I am loving Kyle right now :D

Does anyone else think Libby might hook up with Paul?

nah, i first thought that but i think their using each other to become principal/get back at michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

Am I the only who needs to think Kate needs to get over herself? THey were broken up when it happened ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Where is Ben???

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Where is Ben???

They figured he was a genius so he went off to a special school/boarding school. Libby came from there before she returned to Ramsey St again

• Advertisement

They figured he was a genius so he went off to a special school/boarding school. Libby came from there before she returned to Ramsey St again

Really :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Any chance they can get rid of Steph's son Charlie :eek: He irritates me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

angel01 wrote: »
    Any chance they can get rid of Steph's son Charlie :eek: He irritates me :(
    They are. he will be leaving with Lynn

Rhalliord wrote: »
    They are. he will be leaving with Lynn

Great news... *breathes a sigh of relief*
    Though I wish Lynn was staying

Great news... *breathes a sigh of relief*
    Though I wish Lynn was staying

NO!! I'm sick of her :rolleyes:

NO!! I'm sick of her :rolleyes:

I think she is a great character, wish she would rethink it :(

I think she is a great character, wish she would rethink it :(

When she came back after the Paul thing they turned her into a nutter!

When she came back after the Paul thing they turned her into a nutter!

Paul would have that effect on anyone! :D

I love her friendship with Karl & Susan (who I adore!)

I love Karl and Susan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Mark is so cute but gas now he, kyle and jade are all living together! Has Kyle and Jade got together yet? At least andrew and summer are finally together!

Advertisement