Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant? anyone hear yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I emailed them (co dub vec "tallaght") last week and got a reply the next day, they said they were processing the numbers somewhere around 4200 so check your letter you got and your reference/student number if its near this you should hear from them soon. my number is around the 5000 mark so i reckon another month before i hear anything.
    Or you could just email them yourself.
    I dont see a point wasting much needed phone credit and waiting time ringing when you can email for FREE and dont get any attitudes from people talking down to you all because you want some info, not that i ever did with co dub vec they are generally very nice, but in general email first then phone.
    happy waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Delighted to report that two installments of the grant landed yesterday. Today will be spent rushing around paying bills and hoping that it's not too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

mud wrote: »
    Delighted to report that two installments of the grant landed yesterday. Today will be spent rushing around paying bills and hoping that it's not too late!

This may be a stupid question, but are they lodged into your account or do you have to collect cheques from college?

They are lodged to your account, they go from the local authority to the college who send them on to the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

davey101 wrote: »
    I emailed them (co dub vec "tallaght") last week and got a reply the next day, they said they were processing the numbers somewhere around 4200 so check your letter you got and your reference/student number if its near this you should hear from them soon. my number is around the 5000 mark so i reckon another month before i hear anything.
    Or you could just email them yourself.
    I dont see a point wasting much needed phone credit and waiting time ringing when you can email for FREE and dont get any attitudes from people talking down to you all because you want some info, not that i ever did with co dub vec they are generally very nice, but in general email first then phone.
    happy waiting
    I emailed them in January and heard nothing back, and i've been letting it slip by... Now i'm worried though, as my candidate number is just below 3000 and I haven't heard anything from them since last September.

• Advertisement

send them another email, keep sending them until they answer

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

When is the last instalment?
    Poxy Nct I keep failing on emissions ill be broke soon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

eire2009 wrote: »

think its after easter

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

eire2009 wrote: »

I emaile meath coco last week, they said it should be the first the week of april, so in relity it wil be the second week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 crown

Hey lads , have you any suggestions for me ?

I applied for the VEC grant in August , they sent it back 3 times because my mothers social welfare letter was not exactly to detail the way they wanted in , its now seven months later , I haven't a penny to my name and live with my parents and the family but they cant afford to help me out , for instance I got a 5er of my dad about 3 weeks ago and that left him short on the rent money. I haven't had a penny since . I am lucky in the sense that my university is a walkable distance .BUT i am 22 do i not have a right to some assistance ? do they wont me to drop out so the 1500 registration fee is not paid out ? I don't get it . I don't even have a student card . I cant have lunch in the college or take part in ANY social events.

I am actuality struggling at this stage , I have been on the verge of signing on to the doll a few times now but fear for what would happen if I got caught out.I worked far to hard to drop out . I don't qualify for back to education ,because Iv never been out of education .
    I am really stressed about the situation .

Just to recap , Grant still not approved , cant receive any supports till it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

crown wrote: »
    I am actuality struggling at this stage , I have been on the verge of signing on to the doll a few times now but fear for what would happen if I got caught out.I worked far to hard to drop out . I don't qualify for back to education ,because Iv never been out of education .
    I am really stressed about the situation .

Some colleges/student unions have hardship funds for cases like yours. Have you checked this out?

Has your local authority confirmed that your application is now in order, even if it has yet to be approved? I would be in daily phone contact with them if necessary, until they give you the green light (and the money!).

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Just to recap , Grant still not approved , cant receive any supports till it is

Hi,

If i were you, i would be straight onto the VEC grant place. Explain to them exactly what you have explained here and that you just can't afford to keep up the study. I would keep ringing them until i had an answer.

Don't get too angry on the phone unless you are not getting anywhere, be firm.
    Ring them tomorrow...i hope you get sorted soon.

In the meantime - could the community welfare officer help? I'm not sure about the various things they help with but it could be worth a try also.

Thanks .

I have gone in to the student assistance fund within the college and they cant help me till I can confirm the fees are paid. Its the Dublin Vec . I have phoned them up 3-4 times last week , the grants department is only taking calls on Monday and Tuesday 9.30-12.30 .. each time I ring I am told , We cant tell you anything yet , 1-2 weeks you will hear somthing , Were prosing applicants that came in 1st - 6th February.. A member of my university phoned in on behalf on me and was told they have all the requested documentation , this was a month ago now .

Thanks for the advise with the welfare officer and dropping into the VEC and into the Student union , will be doing tomorrow.

Hang in there mate, This government has caused us enough hassle and i assume that is the reason why we are having to wait so long for our applications with work to rule and all. dont let yourself become another number standing on a dole queue, because then you will have very little money and no qualification when the job comes around so stick with it you have gottne this far now so Truck on!
    P.s.
    Ever think of trying the Vincent de paul? they may be your best bet you could pay them back when you do get your grant.
    And email the vec aswell as ringing, continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I hope it all gets sorted out for you soon!!!! They really dont give a crap about students. a bit of cop on wouldnt go astray in the VECs.
    hang in there! Im sending good vibes your way!

Thanks .

I have gone in to the student assistance fund within the college and they cant help me till I can confirm the fees are paid. Its the Dublin Vec . I have phoned them up 3-4 times last week , the grants department is only taking calls on Monday and Tuesday 9.30-12.30 .. each time I ring I am told , We cant tell you anything yet , 1-2 weeks you will hear somthing , Were prosing applicants that came in 1st - 6th February.. A member of my university phoned in on behalf on me and was told they have all the requested documentation , this was a month ago now .

Thanks for the advise with the welfare officer and dropping into the VEC and into the Student union , will be doing tomorrow.

I hate to say this but maybe you should consider calling joe duffy's liveline. t seems by going on his show is the only way to get anything done in this country. I think it is absoltely appaling that at this stage in teh game the grants application process still is not complete. Like for fcuks sake, its basically april now. By lecture stop in two weeks and exams after that and the likely hood is that some people will still not be approved. some thing needs ti be done and fast!

Your dead right , I was talking about doing that today and It is a disgrace . I dont think I have any other choice
    Thanks for the support .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I can't believe that some students are still waiting for their grants. It's absolutely pathetic!

If I were you, I'd have bent the ear of every T.D. in the area, and every radio station, as well.

Good luck, I hope you get your grant soon.

Fair play!!! every student in the country waiting on a grant or who's had to deal with the VECs and county councils will be behind you!

good luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Well done for doing something about it!!

I listened to Joe on Monday (I never listen to RTE) and I didnt heard ya. are you on a different day or is it next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Pgrad

Apologies if this question has been asked in previous threads or posts but can anyone answer if they are allocated a grant, if the grant covers ALL postgraduate diploma in education fee, some of it or how much of it?? The grant I received for degree covered the majority of entire fee, bar 100 quid or so. Is is different for postgrad fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got the creepiest letter ever which I think is from the grant people but it didn't have any logo or information on it, it just said that some money went into my bank account! The grant people need to work on their correspondence... :eek:

Anyway long story short, South Dublin CC have paid my third grant installment so I think they're up to date on paying out!

any news on the County Cork VEC 3rd grant payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Just got notice of payment from Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown county council.

Anyone hear from Limerick Co Co yet? Waiting on the 3rd installment but seeing as it took until March to get the first two together I'm afraid I'm gonna be waiting until college is over :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Anyone waiting for 3rd installment from kildare - will be paid out in next 2-3 weeks - I finish in 2!

Advertisement