Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    It's definitely a step up in second semester. First semester is LC maths + a bit extra and more explanation of why and how you're doing what you are doing (first principles etc). But second semester brings in more complicated calculus and stuff. It's definitely hard if you dont put the work in.

Tbh though if you attend every lecture and every tutorial you shouldn't have a problem.

In fact the best advice I can give you is this. Go to every tutorial, and prepare for every tutorial. If you put in an hour of revision before each tutorial you'll know what you dont know and what to ask. You'll be able to get through the easy questions fast and then be able to spend more time on the stuff you dont understand.

Obviously you wont do this, but it's still good advice.

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful! I'm just worried that I won't be able for it at first, but do you think it'd be manageable if I put in a lot of work? I love maths, but the teacher I had for the LC wasn't great and there are a good few gaps in my knowledge. I managed a B3 in the exam but I reckon that was down to lenient marking and not my own ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hanker

I got 495 points , have not been offered a place yet , does anyone know if its still possible to get an offer maybe now or in the second round ( for anyone that doesnt know the points for the course is 510 )
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Hanker wrote: »
    I got 495 points , have not been offered a place yet , does anyone know if its still possible to get an offer maybe now or in the second round ( for anyone that doesnt know the points for the course is 510 )
    thank you

Its definitely possible but normally points drop by only 5-10 in subsequent rounds, although given science has a large entry, i wouldn't be surprised if they drop to 495 in the coming weeks

Good luck!

Its definitely possible but normally points drop by only 5-10 in subsequent rounds, although given science has a large entry, i wouldn't be surprised if they drop to 495 in the coming weeks

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, yh i really hope it does.
    also considering repeating for perhaps a better course if i dont get it, not happy with my 495 either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

also considering repeating for perhaps a better course if i dont get it, not happy with my 495 either :(

What's that supposed to mean, eh? Too good for science, are we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Idiot. We're all in Science here, know your audience before writing.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Accepted a place on this course this morning :) Came in to ask about the maths involved, but it looks like most of my questions have been answered already. Is it a big step up from LC maths, or does it kind of just go over what you'd already know but in more detail?

It's not really that much of a step up now in fairness... it's essentially the LC course for 1st semester. 2nd semester gets a bit funky but it's definitely manageable! I did ordinary level for the LC. Had to take full maths to do physics in JF. Just get the book and go through the tutorials. Learn to love calculus and it will all be fine! There's always people to give grinds then if you do find yourself in a bit of bother after christmas!

Adding to that... I have the two first year Maths books if you're interested. ;)

I meant like a more Direct course.
    I apologize.

I meant like a more Direct course.
    I apologize.

Ah sure you're grand, headed for Medicine myself after this. :o But the science course here is really good (&HARD!) so don't underestimate it!

SharpBerry wrote: »
    Ah sure you're grand, headed for Medicine myself after this. :o But the science course here is really good (&HARD!) so don't underestimate it!

If, God forbid, you didnt get into medicine after this what would you do ?
    Ive heard of people doing 4 year courses and failing to get into grad medicine and then going back to school to repeat

If, God forbid, you didnt get into medicine after this what would you do ?
    Ive heard of people doing 4 year courses and failing to get into grad medicine and then going back to school to repeat

To get into graduate med. in Ireland you need a 2.1 in your primary degree & then a reasonable score in the GAMSAT (UL accepted some graduates with a 53 this year, RCSI had 59*). If I failed to get a 2.1, there's still a chance I could be interviewed for Graduate entry in England (based on GAMSAT), if I apply there...I'll decide about that after getting the GAMSAT results in May, as the exam isn't held until September in London. The England route also involves an interview.

Going back and repeating would never cross my mind, ever. If I can't manage to get a 2.1, 2.2 absolute worst case senario, and an alright score in the GAMSAT, then it would be ridiculous to consider the leaving & HPAT again, imo. Fair play to the people that manage it.

My moderatorship is in Biochemistry, so there's plenty of other career paths that I could choose to go down if Medicine doesn't happen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haveyoumetted

So i got 505 points and just missed out on science in trinners :( I was wondering if people think it is worth waiting for the second round offers or should i just forget about it as i have gotten my second choice in DCU & an on campus accomodation offer for theres too which has to be excepted by tuesday (second round offers on thursday) Any help is really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

So i got 505 points and just missed out on science in trinners :( I was wondering if people think it is worth waiting for the second round offers or should i just forget about it as i have gotten my second choice in DCU & an on campus accomodation offer for theres too which has to be excepted by tuesday (second round offers on thursday) Any help is really appreciated :)

Yes i'd say it's definitely worth waiting! You're only 5 off, plus loads of people who got into medicine will have put science under the medicine choices as so they're be quite a lot free i'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Definitely accept the offer, and I'd personally advise you to accept the accommodation. Depending on the amount of people at 505 points you could be waiting a while to get an offer -if you get one at all; the points were random selection the year I started and it took until the third round for that to clear. You could get lucky and get an offer, but it's not something I'd bank on. It can be tough finding accommodation at this stage of the year, so provided you don't have to pay for the DCU accommodation straight away, it's probably a good idea to have that in the bag rather than holding off hoping for another offer.

Anyway this is just my opinion, hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barry_crisp

Does anyone who's done first year physics have advice for studying the mechanics side of paper one? Particularly any places online for learning projectiles, collisions etc.

I'm finding the Ferreira notes a bit tough to get through.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haveyoumetted

Yes i'd say it's definitely worth waiting! You're only 5 off, plus loads of people who got into medicine will have put science under the medicine choices as so they're be quite a lot free i'd say :)

Yes, a few have said to me about of people wanting medicine putting science down & it did drop by five last year in the second round. Its just such a big risk :eek: Thank you for the reply anyway, I really appreciate it :)
    Lawliet wrote: »
    Definitely accept the offer, and I'd personally advise you to accept the accommodation. Depending on the amount of people at 505 points you could be waiting a while to get an offer -if you get one at all; the points were random selection the year I started and it took until the third round for that to clear. You could get lucky and get an offer, but it's not something I'd bank on. It can be tough finding accommodation at this stage of the year, so provided you don't have to pay for the DCU accommodation straight away, it's probably a good idea to have that in the bag rather than holding off hoping for another offer.

Anyway this is just my opinion, hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

Yes I have excepted the DCU offer - the thing with accommodation there is that to accept it you have to pay for the first semester in full which is over 2700 and if you cancel it you lose 300 deposit and have to keep paying the rent until they find someone to replace you. It would be such a big risk for me to reject the DCU accommodation because like you said even if I get Trinity it will be tough finding accommodation at that stage. I'm also not actually disappointed with my second choice just that i missed my first by such a small margin. Anyway, thank you for your reply I really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Does anyone who's done first year physics have advice for studying the mechanics side of paper one? Particularly any places online for learning projectiles, collisions etc.

I'm finding the Ferreira notes a bit tough to get through.

Thanks!

The book "university physics" and it's corresponding mastering physics component helped me a lot with that section. The applied maths book for the LC is also quite good. It's pretty basic stuff at the end of the day when you realise he will not ask the frames of reference part of his notes on the exam and that most of it is covered very well in LC applied maths.

He really does like to promote understanding of the concepts rather than rote learning methods. The lectures really help decrypt his notes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Do many TCD science graduates find work in their area or do they all need to do postgrad first?

Malown wrote: »
    Do many TCD science graduates find work in their area or do they all need to do postgrad first?

Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a researcher, you will need a postgraduate degree of some sort, and as far as I know you'd need a masters to work in a hospital lab. I've worked in a BSE testing lab where the analysts mostly just had their Bachelor's degrees, so I'm sure there are other similar lines where postgrads aren't required.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ehmmm?

I know this has probably already been asked but I don't really fancy trawling through 136 pges looking for the answer. I'm starting TR071 this year and I know I definitely want to pick biology and chemistry but I don't know what to pick for my third. I wanted to do foundation physics and mathamatical methods but I don't think that leaves me with many options in 2nd year because I don't really want to take up geography or geology. I didn't do physics for the leaving and I don't really want to pick it up either and I'm afraid I won't be able for maths. I did honours maths for the leaving cert but I only got a C2 and I had to work for it so I just don't know what to do! Any adivce? Any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Ehmmm? wrote: »
    I know this has probably already been asked but I don't really fancy trawling through 136 pges looking for the answer. I'm starting TR071 this year and I know I definitely want to pick biology and chemistry but I don't know what to pick for my third. I wanted to do foundation physics and mathamatical methods but I don't think that leaves me with many options in 2nd year because I don't really want to take up geography or geology. I didn't do physics for the leaving and I don't really want to pick it up either and I'm afraid I won't be able for maths. I did honours maths for the leaving cert but I only got a C2 and I had to work for it so I just don't know what to do! Any adivce? Any at all?

I had those same modules last year, except Geology instead of FPhysics. Honestly, the only moderatorships that require Maths, physics, geography or Geology are those subjects on their own. You'll get by fine with Biology and Chemistry, leaving you with plenty of choice of moderatorship, unless you want to be an actual physicist or geographer. There's a choice of 10 shorter biology modules in 2nd year, each take up half a semester, of which you can pick up to 8. And two chemistry modules, similar in structure to 1st year, one for each semester. If you're not keen on just Biology and Chemistry, a lot of people pick up a Geology module in second year, just to fill up the credits. You'll learn about things like dinosaurs and rocks and space and stars, so it's actually really fun! Do you have any idea at all what moderatorship you want to choose in 3rd year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭OrlaB12693

Anyone know if the timetable for second years is pretty much the same every year as it is for first years?... and if so, what is it like??

Malown wrote: »

I graduated 5 years ago and have not been out of work since. I was offered a job while doing my finals, and have gotten every job I've gone for since. In order to progress in my current field though I have completed a part time masters. A degree just isn't enough any more.

If you want to stay in research though, it depends how well you do. Keep you results at a 2.1 and you'll get your PhD. Everyone from my year who did a PhD though can't get work as they have no work experience, so have either moved into teaching or research assistant roles (which you can do on a degree alone) or those who have done really well have obtained post doctoral research positions. These are few and far between though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ehmmm?

Phareon wrote: »
    I had those same modules last year, except Geology instead of FPhysics. Honestly, the only moderatorships that require Maths, physics, geography or Geology are those subjects on their own. You'll get by fine with Biology and Chemistry, leaving you with plenty of choice of moderatorship, unless you want to be an actual physicist or geographer. There's a choice of 10 shorter biology modules in 2nd year, each take up half a semester, of which you can pick up to 8. And two chemistry modules, similar in structure to 1st year, one for each semester. If you're not keen on just Biology and Chemistry, a lot of people pick up a Geology module in second year, just to fill up the credits. You'll learn about things like dinosaurs and rocks and space and stars, so it's actually really fun! Do you have any idea at all what moderatorship you want to choose in 3rd year?
    I think I want either neuroscience, biochemistry or chemistry so I'm definitely chemistry/biology orientated. Can you pick up geology or geography in 2nd year even if you haven't done it in 1st? Or should I just go for geology or geography from 1st year? Would I actually need the physics at all if I got one of those three moderatorships?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Ehmmm? wrote: »
    I think I want either neuroscience, biochemistry or chemistry so I'm definitely chemistry/biology orientated. Can you pick up geology or geography in 2nd year even if you haven't done it in 1st? Or should I just go for geology or geography from 1st year? Would I actually need the physics at all if I got one of those three moderatorships?

Geography I'm not sure, but geology definitely! My best friend wants to go into neuroscience and is picking up geology this year just to fill credits! She mostly wants Biology and Chemistry, and they're the ones that matter for neuroscience, so anything else is just extra to fill up her required amount of time.
    Um I didn't do Foundation Physics last year, but from what I gather it's a lot like Maths methods in physics form, learning the basics of physics that would help you in other areas like biology, chemistry or geography. Things like measurements, mechanics, the physics of biological processes and stuff like that!
    (Maybe someone who's done FP in first year could clarify that for me?)

Phareon wrote: »
    (Maybe someone who's done FP in first year could clarify that for me?)

I did FP in first year, and the consensus then was that if you've done physics for the leaving, it was dead easy, but if you hadn't done it before, it was quite a lot to remember (not in difficulty, but in the volume of material covered). It was totally manageable but from what I can see Geology is a better choice in terms of filling up credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    I graduated 5 years ago and have not been out of work since. I was offered a job while doing my finals, and have gotten every job I've gone for since. In order to progress in my current field though I have completed a part time masters. A degree just isn't enough any more.

If you want to stay in research though, it depends how well you do. Keep you results at a 2.1 and you'll get your PhD. Everyone from my year who did a PhD though can't get work as they have no work experience, so have either moved into teaching or research assistant roles (which you can do on a degree alone) or those who have done really well have obtained post doctoral research positions. These are few and far between though.

Can I enquire as what your moderatorship was?

Can I enquire as what your moderatorship was?

You can indeed. Microbiology.

However I haven't worked in that field at all. If you were considering one of the biochemistry options over micro, choose biochem. I've had to prove myself a lot.

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    You can indeed. Microbiology.

However I haven't worked in that field at all. If you were considering one of the biochemistry options over micro, choose biochem. I've had to prove myself a lot.

I'm curious at to what this means. Being a micro graduate, and all

I'm curious at to what this means. Being a micro graduate, and all

A lot of places think being a micro graduate means you're only good at testing water samples or streaking a few agar plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Knock0ut

Any tips and tricks for a new 1st year science student? What would you guys do if you could start again etc.? Probably gonna be doing maths, chemistry and biology modules.

Advertisement