Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

Knock0ut wrote: »
    Any tips and tricks for a new 1st year science student? What would you guys do if you could start again etc.? Probably gonna be doing maths, chemistry and biology modules.

Yeah, study harder throughout the year..(I'm currently missing picnic to repeat an exam)

The best thing to do is get the work done quick and right. When assignments are handed out do them straight away. You will have to read up on stuff mentioned in the lecture which is really helpful for understanding. ATTENDING LECTURES is the most important. some lectures refuse to put stuff up online and provide no notes so the only way of keeping track of what is going on is by going to the lectures. If you are not confident on maths there is an easy maths module called maths methods. Biology is not that hard but in the second semester of Chemistry you will have to learn organic which takes a lot of extra work but once it is done it's done and the whole module will be easy.
    Basically what I would do again is study more, attend college more, go out more and sleep more. You will have the time of your life next year (especially if you are moving out)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Monkeyman1993

I'm hoping to study biology, geography, maths methods and geology this year. Anyone have any advice/information about how these modules are?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I'm hoping to study biology, geography, maths methods and geology this year. Anyone have any advice/information about how these modules are?

Keep Geology in second year and go on the field trip. Best week ever

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Keep Geology in second year and go on the field trip. Best week ever

I think the field trip is now only for people who put down Geology on their mod. choice form. That was the vibe we were given by the department last year anyway.

Knock0ut wrote: »
    Any tips and tricks for a new 1st year science student? What would you guys do if you could start again etc.? Probably gonna be doing maths, chemistry and biology modules.

You can get decent marks with some simple preparation for lectures + labs. Make sure you read the lab books before you attend so you know what's expected of you during the lab. The demonstrators don't appreciate people asking questions which are already answered on the first page of the lab manual :P

Don't show up to chemistry labs without the safety glasses. They get pretty frustrated with students who do AND!, a huge tip I would give is to make sure to do every lab report because they are much easier to get marks in than the individual exams.

As far as the modules themselves go Biology shouldn't present much of a problem (other than the Microbiology module/s). The lecture notes + an understanding of the general themes presented + reviewing the material with a recommended text book should be sufficient to get a 1:1 in first year.

Chemistry is more conceptually difficult, but the same goes for it as does Biology. Understanding of the themes and such should be sufficient to get pretty good grades. Some people tend to struggle with one aspect of the course whether it's Physical, Organic or Inorganic. The lecturers will point you in the right directions as far as text books are concerned.

Also, don't forget to enjoy first year!

Maths methods was an interesting module. One of the lecturers who shall remain nameless was excellent, the other wasn't so much. Attend all the computer labs and tutorials because they're marked for attendance which is the easiest amount of marks you'll ever get!
    If I recall correctly they covered topics like Matrices, Polynomials, Integration, Differentiation, Probability etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

NeuroCat wrote: »
    Maths methods was an interesting module. One of the lecturers who shall remain nameless was excellent, the other wasn't so much.
    I believe the latter no longer teaches at Trinity, the new guy might be better.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I believe the latter no longer teaches at Trinity, the new guy might be better.

Truth be told, it would be difficult to be worse.

Maths methods was an interesting module. One of the lecturers who shall remain nameless was excellent, the other wasn't so much..

Was that the person with the odd voice and hands? I liked him. He was like a little kid

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ScienceMad

What things do first years need to buy for this course?

as in what books and do we need to buy a lab coat or anything? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

ScienceMad wrote: »

Lecturers will recommend text books within the first two weeks of lectured usually. Most can be bought from the Student Union Bookshop in House 6, or gotten from people who were first years last year. Books tend to be really expensive new, so get them from the SU or from friends, new editions are usually exactly the same a previous editions, provided it's like one or two back.

For lab subjects, Biology, chemistry, not sure about physics but maybe, you'll need a lab coat and glasses, and a dissection kit for Bio. These can be bought from the SU Shop too. The three came to about €45 last year but I'm not certain of the exact figure.

Edit: You'll also need to buy lab manuals for practical subjects too. These are usually about €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Does anyone know how many hours of lectures and labs we have a week?

Phareon wrote: »
    Lecturers will recommend text books within the first two weeks of lectured usually. Most can be bought from the Student Union Bookshop in House 6, or gotten from people who were first years last year. Books tend to be really expensive new, so get them from the SU or from friends, new editions are usually exactly the same a previous editions, provided it's like one or two back.

For lab subjects, Biology, chemistry, not sure about physics but maybe, you'll need a lab coat and glasses, and a dissection kit for Bio. These can be bought from the SU Shop too. The three came to about €45 last year but I'm not certain of the exact figure.

Edit: You'll also need to buy lab manuals for practical subjects too. These are usually about €10.

thanks so much!

ScienceMad wrote: »

I wouldn't bother buying any books unless you can get them really cheap; they're all in the library, the lecturers rarely reference the same one and any general textbook will be too general come second year. You can also download an older, pdf version of a lot of the textbooks for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Does anyone know how many hours of lectures and labs we have a week?

About 22 hours last year for me (Physics, Maths, Geography/Geology). Could increase slightly if you were to take other modules as Physics, Chemistry and Biology all have 3 hour labs. Tutorials and practicals last about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Lawliet wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother buying any books unless you can get them really cheap; they're all in the library, the lecturers rarely reference the same one and any general textbook will be too general come second year. You can also download an older, pdf version of a lot of the textbooks for free.

Some of the general books (like Campbell's Biology) can come in REALLY handy in your later years to remind you of all the basics you've forgotten though :pac: If you had vouchers it would be worth getting a really good, foundation book for Biology. No clue about other subjects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Louisa2

My little sis is repeating the biology exam tomorrow and she's wondering whether she should focus on herpes or reterovirus seeing as one of them comes up every year and herpes came up in summer. She isn't on boards and I know that we have a med course thread so thought I'd try you out over here and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Hey Im statrting next month and am thinking of which modules to pick. I didnt do Biology for the LC but could I manage to do it as a module this year?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Knock0ut

Hey Im statrting next month and am thinking of which modules to pick. I didnt do Biology for the LC but could I manage to do it as a module this year?! :confused:

LC Biology was pretty much just a memory test. There wasn't a lot of working things out, just remembering stuff. (No idea what college is like) But i wouldn't not pick it just because you didn't do it for the leaving. I'm sure if you work at it and do a bit of study it'll be grand.

I know a few people who picked it up from scratch, they didn't it find it too hard but you have to put in more work by yourself; there's no basic classes like there is for chemistry. It almost might be worth having a read through a LC revision book, some lecturers will assume most people know what they're talking about and wont explain some the basic terms they use a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

It's totally fine to pick it up in first OR second year.
    My friend and I both chose to do Physics in JF along with Maths and Chemistry, but decided to go down the Biology path in SF, so we did Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I had an A from HL LC Biology, while she had never opened a book before, managed just as well as I did. :rolleyes:
    Biology isn't like Physics or Chemistry. It's not like you have to ''get'' it from the start. Campbells & Reece is an excellent book. You'll be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

SharpBerry wrote: »
    It's totally fine to pick it up in first OR second year.
    My friend and I both chose to do Physics in JF along with Maths and Chemistry, but decided to go down the Biology path in SF, so we did Biology, Maths and Chemistry. I had an A from HL LC Biology, while she had never opened a book before, managed just as well as I did. :rolleyes:
    Biology isn't like Physics or Chemistry. It's not like you have to ''get'' it from the start. Campbells & Reece is an excellent book. You'll be grand! :)

Was it grand to pick it up in SF? :pac: You didnt feel like you missed something or lost? Thats great that you can still change!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SharpBerry

Was it grand to pick it up in SF? :pac:

Yeah! Absolutely! There was only ever one or two teeny references to something that should have been learnt from JF, cell membrane or the likes, but even then, a quick wiki and its grand.
    I went from no Biology in first year, to 7 subjects of it in second year, and I'm going into a Biology Mod. now; Biochemistry.
    So long as you're not an absolute lazy arse about it, it really is fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Can someone take a look at last years timetable at the end of this:

http://www.tcd.ie/Science/PDF/JfProgramme2012.pdf

So if I'm doing biology and chemistry, how could I be at both labs at 10am on a friday morning at the same time? I'm confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

So if I'm doing biology and chemistry, how could I be at both labs at 10am on a friday morning at the same time? I'm confused :(

There's about 4 or 5 different lab sessions for each Biology and Chemistry. You'll get sorted into one in the first couple of weeks! They shouldn't clash don't worry!!

Phareon wrote: »
    There's about 4 or 5 different lab sessions for each Biology and Chemistry. You'll get sorted into one in the first couple of weeks! They shouldn't clash don't worry!!

Ya that's another question I have actually :L would chemistry lab A,B,C,D,E be the same or different?

Ya that's another question I have actually :L would chemistry lab A,B,C,D,E be the same or different?

They're all the same (Although they did put certain courses together in one of the labs so I can't speculate for that one).

They're all the same (Although they did put certain courses together in one of the labs so I can't speculate for that one).

Ah i get ya! Thanks...I'm kind of praying I'll have no lectures/labs on a friday cause I could work that day and will need the money :L Probably have little chance, but anyways :L

Ah i get ya! Thanks...I'm kind of praying I'll have no lectures/labs on a friday cause I could work that day and will need the money :L Probably have little chance, but anyways :L
    You can request to change labs by filling out a form at the science course office, although lots of people want to get out of the Friday afternoon one so you'll need a good excuse.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about the timetable, it will sort itself out. I freaked out when i first saw it too.

Advertisement