Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but bear in mind that for each contact hour you have, you probably need to spend at least another hour of your own time looking over the material you covered (at least with regard to lectures).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

I understand that , I just thought that Trinity would be more contact hours as a friend of mine is doing biomedical science in DIT and her hours are 32+

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sandyfordboi

1sparkey wrote: »
    Hi lawliet, I dont think Ill be changing my mind plus whatever course I choose I dont think Ill need chemistry. I think its only really for the genetics and chemistry route, my top choices would be zoology, physiology, func biology, environmental sciences , I would not need it for any of these

Im in third year doing botany well going into fourth year now! but for functional biology, zoology and physiology you have to bio-chemistry courses in second year such as cell structure and function, metabolism, genetics, and i think microbiology aswell! and having done cell structure and function! id highly recommended doing chemistry at least in first year as the failure rates for cell structure and function and metabolism are really really high so having chemistry would be an advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I'm just finished first year and I did all of the modules you plan on doing. I also want to do zoology. And by that I mean it's the only career for me! I don't feel like I had any disadvantage by not doing Chemistry. Not yet anyway :P

Geography can be boring but that's not the worst complaint to have about a module. The second semester Geography module is more interesting and 60% of it is continuous assessment. I really enjoyed Geology I must say, and will be doing it again next year. The second half of that module is about the evolution of life so definitely useful for zoology!

I'm the Junior Representative for the zoology society by the way. Send me a message if you're interested in joining!

Hi Hollzy, thats music to my ears but I think it was second year they said they struggled, Im not to worried though I studied biochemistry as part of the access programme and eventually got to grips with it. As far as zoology goes I feel its also my only option , is there still a lot of interest in zoology and is there much competition for places.

On geography , I think I would prefer boring to very hard so I dont mind that and the geology does sound right up my street, having researched it myself , Im really looking forward to it.

Sorry for all the questions but what were your contact hours (roughly)

About the zoology society , id love to join.

• Advertisement

1sparkey wrote: »
    As far as zoology goes I feel its also my only option , is there still a lot of interest in zoology and is there much competition for places.

Zoology is quite high demand. If I can remember correctly, last year there were around 30 places (it's in the top two or three in terms of size) and it was 2/3 filled on the first round of offers. I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know a few people who really wanted it and didn't get in.

No matter how little demand there is for a course, I'd always advise keeping an open mind because you never know how things might turn out, and while I'm sure you'll do fine, with a course that has as many interested parties as zoology, maybe you should be a little bit more accepting of second or third choices. If it's something you really want, I'm sure you'll put in enough work to get it, but it can't hurt to keep a couple eggs for other baskets, just in case.

Zoology is quite high demand. If I can remember correctly, last year there were around 30 places (it's in the top two or three in terms of size) and it was 2/3 filled on the first round of offers. I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know a few people who really wanted it and didn't get in.

No matter how little demand there is for a course, I'd always advise keeping an open mind because you never know how things might turn out, and while I'm sure you'll do fine, with a course that has as many interested parties as zoology, maybe you should be a little bit more accepting of second or third choices. If it's something you really want, I'm sure you'll put in enough work to get it, but it can't hurt to keep a couple eggs for other baskets, just in case.

Hi, from what I can see , with my first year choices I will still have a few different options in the areas I have an interest in , (i.e, environmental sciences, func biology, geography, physiology and a few others), so Im well covered , I think, but thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Hi guys,
    The JF results are out today at 4, will we be e-mailed them or do we have to go in to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hi guys,
    The JF results are out today at 4, will we be e-mailed them or do we have to go in to check?

They'll be online here later today probably.

Jammyc wrote: »
    They'll be online here later today probably.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

They will be posted on the boards at the course office at 4pm, and you can also check http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/examinations/ems-results.php after 4pm. I think it takes a while for them to be posted online so don't panic if you don't see the results online at 4pm on the dot.

They will not be emailed out to you.

Edit: bah! not fast enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Theoretical Physics' results were put online before the publication time, so that might happen with the science results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Theoretical Physics' results were put online before the publication time, so that might happen with the science results.
    Bit too much faith in the science course office there

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

it looks like I failed something but it doesn't say I've to sit a supplemental....
    do I have to contact my tutor?

I thought if you failed more than 3 than you had to repeat the year but some of the results just say they have to sit supplementals even if they failed 4?

kate.m wrote: »
    it looks like I failed something but it doesn't say I've to sit a supplemental....
    You could have passed by compensation, I think if it doesn't say you have a supplemental you should be okay.

Also yay I passed everything! Didn't do well enough to get Immunology, but I should get micro which I'm okay with!

kate.m wrote: »

What did you get in the one you failed and is there a "C" next to your grade on the right? If it's over 35 you must've passed by compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

What did you get in the one you failed and is there a "C" next to your grade on the right? If it's over 35 you must've passed by compensation.

37 in the one I failed and yep there's a C next to the grade.
    That makes sense!
    Thanks a lot. So I don't have to do anything with my results?

Are the jf results taken into account when applying for schols?

Are the jf results taken into account when applying for schols?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Hi current LC here. Just wondering do many people come into this course with HL maths? just wondering as I'm trying to figure out the possible points for next year?:)

• Advertisement

Hi current LC here. Just wondering do many people come into this course with HL maths? just wondering as I'm trying to figure out the possible points for next year?:)

I'd estimate that about 3/4 of the people I know did HL. Of course, that's skewed by the fact that I'd mainly know people who are into biology more than the more maths based subjects like physics etc. so there's probably in reality a slightly larger proportion who had HL. But there's also the fact I'm a bit of a goody two shoes so I'd be more likely know a higher proportion of high achievers, who would be more likely to have HL. So actually yeah I'd leave my guess at 3/4.

God, I've overthought this into meaninglessness...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

God, I've overthought this into meaninglessness...

Yes you kinda have but thank you:)

I see that JS human genetics students have an option to do either Broad Curriculum or GE3180 Biochemistry, Immunology, Devel. Biol.

Any recommendations? We had to do Broad Curriculum in SF which was basically a chemistry project that was universally hated.

(Sorry to be asking all these questions already, I'm just really excited about third year!)

Also how do we apply to do one or the other? I'm guessing we'll be emailed something closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Definately, points wont jump that much, even if demand soared 10% you're safe
    Heavy reading from the start, no one does but ffs keep on top!

Manageable once you keep on top and dont leave assessments to the last minute in favour of drinking. Although come Trinity term they really pile on the assessments, which is not appreciated in exam season!

In general quite good and v approachable, one in particular though in the chemistry department who I shant name is useless, cant understand him, read his writing and if you ask a question he wont have a clue what you're talking about. Hint, he looks like Hans Moleman from the Simpsons

Depends on the Subject choice, for Maths M, chem, bio and geology you're talking 28 - 32 hours a week of which 6 will be lab and 3 tutorial, though its not surprising for them to thow on/cancel extra lectures at random without notifying anyone.

Any questions PM me!

I know this one! Upside down acetates by any chance?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Morgase wrote: »
    I see that JS human genetics students have an option to do either Broad Curriculum or GE3180 Biochemistry, Immunology, Devel. Biol.

Any recommendations? We had to do Broad Curriculum in SF which was basically a chemistry project that was universally hated.

(Sorry to be asking all these questions already, I'm just really excited about third year!)

Also how do we apply to do one or the other? I'm guessing we'll be emailed something closer to the time.

Most people do broad curriculum, mainly out of laziness as it's much easier. This years results can be seen here:
    https://www.tcd.ie/Broad_Curriculum/localaccess/rptWebPubSheet%201112.pdf

Look out for BCBOT, which is botany broad curriculum. Most do very well in it, and it's not much work. It's only two lectures a week for one semester, and results are based on a continual assessment project.

The other option is taking biochem, which is 2 or 3 lectures a week sometimes I think, open to correction, and is over both semesters. Also, if you take this option, you've to do an extra 1.5 hour exam at the end of the year with you main exams, which I've heard isn't easy. Leaves you with less study time for your actual genetics exams.

Also, don't count on an email, we had to do it our selves, and were never told by the department to apply for it, so some people missed out on some of the popular BC options. Just keep an eye on the BC website in September for when applications open.

Thanks very much, banjopaul. It sounds like it could be quite interesting, and less pressure than taking the Biochem module and having an extra exam in the summertime.

Morgase wrote: »
    Thanks very much, banjopaul. It sounds like it could be quite interesting, and less pressure than taking the Biochem module and having an extra exam in the summertime.

Just to add to what banjopaul said, I'd highly recommend choosing a BC module for the first semester. Mine was in the second semester and ended up having a very inconvenient date for the assessment hand-up. I'm doing Plant Science but I'd say the effect of an assessment due during exam revision time would have similar consequences for anyone.

banjopaul wrote: »
    The other option is taking biochem, which is 2 or 3 lectures a week sometimes I think, open to correction, and is over both semesters. Also, if you take this option, you've to do an extra 1.5 hour exam at the end of the year with you main exams, which I've heard isn't easy. Leaves you with less study time for your actual genetics exams.
    I was actually interested in doing biochem option, but if it's going to mean an another exam I think I'll give it a miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I'd definitely +1 BCBOT, it was tonnes less work than my classmates who had to work their ass off to pass a module of same credit. - That from verbal opinion they felt didn't necessarily feel beneficial to them come end of year.

Just a point of correction, its actually 2 lectures a week, not one. (Not that I was always there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Jammyc wrote: »
    I'd definitely +1 BCBOT, it was tonnes less work than my classmates who had to work their ass off to pass a module of same credit. - That from verbal opinion they felt didn't necessarily feel beneficial to them come end of year.

Just a point of correction, its actually 2 lectures a week, not one. (Not that I was always there)

Sorry you're right, corrected my post! Shows how many of them I went to..

Advertisement