Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

So most people go for BCBOT then?

I was browsing through the list and there's two modules on Language (LNG1 and LNG2) which seem very interesting. I'm caught between doing one of those as they're so different, or doing BCBOT because it seems almost easy to get 70%+ on that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Morgase wrote: »
    So most people go for BCBOT then?

I was browsing through the list and there's two modules on Language (LNG1 and LNG2) which seem very interesting. I'm caught between doing one of those as they're so different, or doing BCBOT because it seems almost easy to get 70%+ on that option.

Off the top of my head I'd say maybe 8 or 9 people out of 29 in JS Genetics and Human Genetics this year did BCBOT, so a fair amount. I think only 4 people chose to do biochem, and then rest took different BC modules. Just look at the ones you are interested in and see how they are assessed, and how well people generally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

To anyone who got schols this year (or indeed any other year) could I inquire as to what textbooks you used to study? Specifically regarding the two biology papers and chemistry.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Same as the above post but for physics, maths and geology. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Sparticle wrote: »
    Same as the above post but for physics, maths and geology. Any help would be appreciated.

For physics, the thermodynamics book (Thermal Physics - C.B.P. Finn) is quite useful and also the current electricity book (Fundamentals of electric circuits - Alexander Sadiku). For the other sections i think i just used the lecture notes to study.

For maths, fourier analysis is quite nice and has good notes as long as you go to all the lectures and multivariable calculus is mostly straight from the Anton calculus book.

Geology is a bit more awkward (i thought) because the essay topics can be a bit more obscure or at least the areas you can study are more open and it can be hard to pick certain things to focus on. There's usually an essay on mass extinctions in Section B so for that i'd recommend doing out notes on the main 5. I just got a book from the library (Invertebrate Palaeontology & Evolution - Clarkson) and used the few pages on mass extinctions to make notes. Also keeping a good lab book for mineralogy is a very good idea, I found the notes which i wrote up after the labs to be more useful to me than the actual lectures themselves. If you look back through the past papers you can get a feel for the kind of essays that come up, I found mineralogy questions for section A alright (largely due to keeping a good lab book) but found that the questions coming up in section B could be a bit more random and not as related to the actual module (although that's just my opinion).

Hope this helps. That's pretty much all i can think of right now, but if you need any other info just drop me a pm and i'll see if i can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Sparticle wrote: »

Although I'm TP, I can advise you on most of the physics paper, but note that we do electromagnetics instead of current electricity, so I won't be able to help you with that one.

Oscillations and Waves - Waves and Vibrations by A. P. French. A good book for the level you'll be at, but if you want to really know what you're talking about with Waves and Vibrations, the relevant chapter of Mechanics by Landau and Lif****z will hit the spot.

Thermodynamics - Thermal Physics by C. B. P. Finn. Very good book, I recommend it highly. It will never be in the library when you need it, so I recommend you buy it because you can develop a reasonably complete mastery of thermodynamics short of breaching the gap into statistical physics.

Geometric Optics - really didn't like this module. The library contains no relevant texts with a proper treatment, ie. most of them are there to get students through a module rather than to teach them the core fundamentals of the subject. Your best bet is to go with the lecture notes, much as I am loathe to say it - they're a little sketchy in parts, but contain everything you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Quick question, just wondering when current SF students were planning on applying for Broad Curriculum? The applications have opened but seeing as we don't know what course we'll be doing yet, it seems a bit weird to apply and guess what moderatorship we'll be in..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

Quick question, just wondering when current SF students were planning on applying for Broad Curriculum? The applications have opened but seeing as we don't know what course we'll be doing yet, it seems a bit weird to apply and guess what moderatorship we'll be in..

You guys still don't know your moderatorships for next year? when do you find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You guys still don't know your moderatorships for next year? when do you find out?
    Not till Friday the 13th

Speaking of which, did anyone else get an email from the micro department about the new webpage? There's no way of seeing the other recipients, so I don't know if it got sent to the entire class or if it was only sent to the people doing micro next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Lawliet wrote: »
    Not till Friday the 13th

Speaking of which, did anyone else get an email from the micro department about the new webpage? There's no way of seeing the other recipients, so I don't know if it got sent to the entire class or if it was only sent to the people doing micro next year...

It got sent to the entire class. I got it and I haven't been near the Biology department in over a year!

• Advertisement

Aoiferz wrote: »
    It got sent to the entire class. I got it and I haven't been near the Biology department in over a year!
    Damn, I was sort of hoping it was the latter. I just want to know at this stage

I didn't get any such email, Lawliet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

In my experience, emaill lists aren't usually sorted out until around August so I wouldn't put much faith in them with regard to them being person specific at this stage.

Offers are out, looks like I'm going to be a microbiologist! Hope everyone got what they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Offers are out, looks like I'm going to be a microbiologist! Hope everyone got what they wanted
    you poor person

you poor person
    Shush you!!

About BC again, I put in my application, and then found out there's a language module I wouldn't mind doing. Don't suppose I can put the application in again?

I would phone them up if I were you Lawliet. They might be looking at the BC apps soon seeing as the offers for moderatorships were recently out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Shush you!!

About BC again, I put in my application, and then found out there's a language module I wouldn't mind doing. Don't suppose I can put the application in again?

Just send them a quick email. I swapped BC modules 3 weeks into Semester 1 all via email with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daisythistle

Where do you apply for BC? I didn't realise we had to do that yet.

Where do you apply for BC? I didn't realise we had to do that yet.

http://www.tcd.ie/Broad_Curriculum/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 daisythistle

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

you poor person

Starting micro myself as a JS but it's really starting to worry me everyone saying things like this to me, could anyone actually studying the subject give it a fair assessment? I'm really interested in the subject area but I've heard its very difficult :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Starting micro myself as a JS but it's really starting to worry me everyone saying things like this to me, could anyone actually studying the subject give it a fair assessment? I'm really interested in the subject area but I've heard its very difficult :eek:

I'm not actually studying micro, but we had 2 modules with them in the JS year. The subject itself is quite interesting and the lecture notes provided for the 2 modules we had were pretty good. I think the main issue is that they're such hard markers in the department.

There seems to be a general expectation that you have to do the extra reading to get a 2:1 and it's extremely rare to see a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Zoology is quite high demand. If I can remember correctly, last year there were around 30 places (it's in the top two or three in terms of size) and it was 2/3 filled on the first round of offers. I don't know the exact numbers, but I do know a few people who really wanted it and didn't get in.

No matter how little demand there is for a course, I'd always advise keeping an open mind because you never know how things might turn out, and while I'm sure you'll do fine, with a course that has as many interested parties as zoology, maybe you should be a little bit more accepting of second or third choices. If it's something you really want, I'm sure you'll put in enough work to get it, but it can't hurt to keep a couple eggs for other baskets, just in case.

I thought you just applied to the general science course??

What?? Aren't offers the 20th August?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

I believe they're referring to the 3rd year specializations in science and not the CAO entry to the actual science course :)

We're already on the course. You're general science for the first two years, then you chose a moderatorship for third and forth year. It's sort of like the CAO again; your exam results from second year determine what you get, and of course some moderatorships are more popular than others.
    If you're starting first you wont have to worry about this for another while, you'll hear all about it in second year.

We're already on the course. You're general science for the first two years, then you chose a moderatorship for third and forth year. It's sort of like the CAO again; your exam results from second year determine what you get, and of course some moderatorships are more popular than others.
    If you're starting first you wont have to worry about this for another while, you'll hear all about it in second year.

Aww phew!! I had a mint heart attack! Haha, so do I not need to choose anything or any modules if I end up going in September? (as an undergraduate)

NeuroCat wrote: »
    I believe they're referring to the 3rd year specializations in science and not the CAO entry to the actual science course :)

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Aww phew!! I had a mint heart attack! Haha, so do I not need to choose anything or any modules if I end up going in September? (as an undergraduate)
    You will have to pick modules during freshers week, the choices are here:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Science/undergraduate/jf/

Advertisement