Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Lawliet wrote: »
    You will have to pick modules during freshers week, the choices are here:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Science/undergraduate/jf/

Oh okay thanks, why were some people talking about doing language moduals then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Oh okay thanks, why were some people talking about doing language moduals then?
    You can do a language module in third year as broad curriculum. There's also optional language classes in the evenings for first years, you don't get any marks for them though, I don't think anyone really bothers with them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Aww phew!! I had a mint heart attack! Haha, so do I not need to choose anything or any modules if I end up going in September? (as an undergraduate)

You should have a rough idea of what 1st year modules you want to do. I think they're available on the Trinity website, but you'll be sent a handbook with any information you might need, some time after CAO offers, if you accept a place to the course. 1st year modules are fairly flexible at the start. First semester modules can be switched for about the first two weeks, while 2nd semester can be switched any time before January! Don't worry, the handbook will tell you everything!!

Lawliet wrote: »
    You can do a language module in third year as broad curriculum. There's also optional language classes in the evenings for first years, you don't get any marks for them though, I don't think anyone really bothers with them tbh

Oh I think I would be interested in that, is it only for science students or just any trinity students?

Oh I think I would be interested in that, is it only for science students or just any trinity students?

The first year language modules are separate to your course, anyone in Trinity can do them I think. However the broad curriculum choice in third year depends on your course and module choices.

And if you are a worrier, I'd just warn you that the information they send you in the post can come out very last minute (I was convinced they forgot about me!) but the booklet is freely available in the science course office on campus to whoever wants one (if I recall correctly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Starting micro myself as a JS but it's really starting to worry me everyone saying things like this to me, could anyone actually studying the subject give it a fair assessment? I'm really interested in the subject area but I've heard its very difficult :eek:

Anyone on here do micro, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Anyone on here do micro, no?

Did my degree in micro, currently a postgrad there. What do ye need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Thanks for the reply! Basically just wondering is it as tough as its made out to be by other students, I've heard some pretty poor reports on the subject but it really interested me so I decided to go with it anyway. Also looking back on it do you think it's a good degree and if you don't mind me asking what are you doing your postgrad in?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

From the students' point of view, Micro can be pretty tough. That's mainly because you cover applied microbiology, genetics and some biochem in pretty close detail. That being said, it's definitely not that hard to get a decent grade. From demonstrating, I've found that the students that complain the most about stuff being too hard are the ones not bloody paying attention or showing up for labs. So as far as difficulty is concerned, just pay attention and keep on top of your work and you'll be fine (protip: when there's only a class of ~30 students, lecturers know who is missing lectures, and this doesn't paint you in a flattering light come exam-time).

Personally, I loved micro. Great, varied subject and I really enjoyed the practical aspect. I think because of the fact that there's such a wide base covered, it makes for a good degree, which is exactly what's intended. Also, for the final year project they offer clinical, molecular and applied projects, depending on what you're interested in, so if you're into the subject at all you'll find something.

As for my postgrad, I work on yeast. Not something that interested me terribly in undergrad, but it definitely grew on me. Other than that, I'll see you next month and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Don't suppose anyone knows when the JS timetables will be out? I know it's up to each different department but just to have a rough idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Don't suppose anyone knows when the JS timetables will be out? I know it's up to each different department but just to have a rough idea?

Not sure how on par with the rest are but last year Physiology got a rough draft the Friday before we started and the proper copy the Wednesday of week 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cooper.

Hi all. Looks like I'll probably be studying Science at Trinity with a view of doing a moderatorship in Neuroscience or Physiology and then graduate medicine. So I'm looking at taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths in JF. Only thing is, I haven't done Maths since GCSE (Junior Cert) level and was wondering whether this will pose a serious problem for me. I really would like to do it, and I did pretty well back in school (didn't take it at A-Level because of a rubbish teacher who ruined it for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Cooper. wrote: »
    Hi all. Looks like I'll probably be studying Science at Trinity with a view of doing a moderatorship in Neuroscience or Physiology and then graduate medicine. So I'm looking at taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths in JF. Only thing is, I haven't done Maths since GCSE (Junior Cert) level and was wondering whether this will pose a serious problem for me. I really would like to do it, and I did pretty well back in school (didn't take it at A-Level because of a rubbish teacher who ruined it for me).

You have the option of just doing maths methods, which is pretty easy, and then doing something like geology or geography to make up credits, which I did. Full maths can be pretty tough from what I've heard, but better to ask people who've actually done it.

banjopaul wrote: »
    You have the option of just doing maths methods, which is pretty easy, and then doing something like geology or geography to make up credits, which I did. Full maths can be pretty tough from what I've heard, but better to ask people who've actually done it.

Isn't there something like a maths help centre at college? Thing is, I would really like to improve my maths, I'm just wondering whether that's feasible at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Isn't there something like a maths help centre at college? Thing is, I would really like to improve my maths, I'm just wondering whether that's feasible at this point.

I think the maths department has a drop in session thing once a week to get a help, but I can't remember specifically what it was, someone else should be able to help with this. There are also relatively small group tutorials, ~30 probably, so yeah there's some support there, but the tutor probably won't be able to dedicate a huge amount of time to a single person. You can also drop in to lecturers to ask questions if you're struggling with anything, but again with a big class size their time will be limited.

By all means go for it if its what you want to do, you can always just do the full methods course at the start and see how you like it, if you find it very tough you're able to switch to the maths methods module instead, provided there is still space.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

banjopaul wrote: »
    I think the maths department has a drop in session thing once a week to get a help, but I can't remember specifically what it was, someone else should be able to help with this.

These are on pretty much every day afaik! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The first full Maths module this year wasn't too bad. I heard more complaints from the Maths Methods group than the full Maths group :) We had a pretty good Linear Algebra lecturer for half of the module (they may or may not be doing it this year), and their section of the exam was extremely easy for those of us who attended most of the lectures :D

bscm wrote: »
    The first full Maths module this year wasn't too bad. I heard more complaints from the Maths Methods group than the full Maths group :) We had a pretty good Linear Algebra lecturer for half of the module (they may or may not be doing it this year), and their section of the exam was extremely easy for those of us who attended most of the lectures :D

Is there a lot of overlap with LC / A level Maths, or is it a direct continuation on from LC in terms of difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Is there a lot of overlap with LC / A level Maths, or is it a direct continuation on from LC in terms of difficulty?

Linear Algebra is mainly matrices, which aren't covered to the same level in LC HL Maths. But you spend most of the semester on them, so you can do them in your sleep. They aren't difficult once you understand how to solve them (Gauss-Jordan elimination, essentially trying to get as many 1's and 0's as possible in a certain order).

The Calculus part of the module has an overlap with LC HL Maths (the old course, from 2011 backwards). We covered differentiation and functions. It wasn't as easy as the Linear Algebra part of the module, but those of us who had sat the HL paper didn't have too much trouble with it. The recommended book is quite good, but you could easily learn most of the Calculus content from a LC HL book (just make sure to find one for the 2011 course or before).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 spl546

I just accepted my offer for this course :D Can you do JF Biology without having done it for A level (im from the north)? Im wanting to do Maths, Chem, Bio or Physics. I did maths, chem and physics for A level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

spl546 wrote: »
    I just accepted my offer for this course :D Can you do JF Biology with having done it for A level (im from the north)? Im wanting to do Maths, Chem, Bio or Physics. I did maths, chem and physics for A level
    Yes, once you're on the course you can pick any of the first year modules. Lots of people pick up a subject or two they've never done before

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kaet

Hey I know this isn't strictly related, but does anyone know anything about how Theoretical Physics and N-PCAM might overlap?

Just missed out on TP this year but I'd originally planned to use it as a broader way into something engineering/nanoscience-y which I know can be done following JS. Doubting that it works vice versa due to the specific nature of N-PCAM but thought I'd ask anyway. Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Guessing this isn't possible, but i got an offer for this (my second) but desperately wanted veterinary medicine at UCD.
    Is there any way at all of transferring or anything like that? (i'm an a-level applicant)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 airurando

kaet wrote: »
    Hey I know this isn't strictly related, but does anyone know anything about how Theoretical Physics and N-PCAM might overlap?

Just missed out on TP this year but I'd originally planned to use it as a broader way into something engineering/nanoscience-y which I know can be done following JS. Doubting that it works vice versa due to the specific nature of N-PCAM but thought I'd ask anyway. Help greatly appreciated.

Well, if you want to do something in the engineering/applied science direction, then you'll be much better placed to do that out of NPCAM than TP, in all honesty. NPCAM is one of the broader courses in the science block, because it's the only one that covers both physics and chemistry right through until you graduate. TP is roughly half maths, half physics (biased more towards maths in the first two years), and they share a lot of the physics classes with you, but they skip mechanics and circuit theory (the more "applied" classes, though they may do a mechanics-like class through maths. If so, then I'd wager it has a very different emphasis to what we covered).

If you decide that nanoscience/materials science isn't for you, then you can transfer into regular physics, astrophysics or chemistry when you get into third year anyway. You spend nearly all your time with the regular science crowd anyway, so most of them have no idea who's in PCAM and who isn't. But nano/materials is a huge research area right now, and it's in demand in all sorts of fields (anything from fuel cell research to ultra-strong, lightweight alloys for vehicle design), so there'll probably be something to interest you in there if applied science is your target.

TP's can transfer into regular physics in third year, and into regular maths at any time until fourth year, IIRC, but I don't think that was the kind of transfer you're describing?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LSP

I haven't done maths in over a year, and dropped to OL before my first LC. As I think I have to do maths for genetics, this year should be fun! I see repeats in my future <3

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I have just accepted a place in Trinity Science! Seriously excited and cant wait to start :) any advice from students doing it already for us freshers?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

spl546 wrote: »
    I just accepted my offer for this course :D Can you do JF Biology without having done it for A level (im from the north)? Im wanting to do Maths, Chem, Bio or Physics. I did maths, chem and physics for A level

As has been said, you can indeed. If you're very enthusiastic, you might see if you can find a secondhand copy of the main biology book which is "Biology" by Campbell and Reese. You really don't need to, but if you're thinking of sticking with biology you might find it useful to have.
    NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    I have just accepted a place in Trinity Science! Seriously excited and cant wait to start :) any advice from students doing it already for us freshers?

The main thing is to keep up with the lectures and coursework. When you do a lab, do the lab report as soon as you can, not the night before it's due! Review the lectures as soon as you can, that evening if possible. If the lecturerers make their slides available before the lecture (via email or website), print them off or at least have a look at them beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Accepted a place on this course this morning :) Came in to ask about the maths involved, but it looks like most of my questions have been answered already. Is it a big step up from LC maths, or does it kind of just go over what you'd already know but in more detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

leaveiton wrote: »
    Accepted a place on this course this morning :) Came in to ask about the maths involved, but it looks like most of my questions have been answered already. Is it a big step up from LC maths, or does it kind of just go over what you'd already know but in more detail?

It's definitely a step up in second semester. First semester is LC maths + a bit extra and more explanation of why and how you're doing what you are doing (first principles etc). But second semester brings in more complicated calculus and stuff. It's definitely hard if you dont put the work in.

Tbh though if you attend every lecture and every tutorial you shouldn't have a problem.

In fact the best advice I can give you is this. Go to every tutorial, and prepare for every tutorial. If you put in an hour of revision before each tutorial you'll know what you dont know and what to ask. You'll be able to get through the easy questions fast and then be able to spend more time on the stuff you dont understand.

Obviously you wont do this, but it's still good advice.

Advertisement