Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science TR071

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Well I don't know what JF have studied un until now in terms of modules aside from genetics - which I presume is in 'The School of Genetics' section. There isn't one general one for biology as far as I can see....its divided up....

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Well I don't know what JF have studied un until now in terms of modules aside from genetics - which I presume is in 'The School of Genetics' section. There isn't one general one for biology as far as I can see....its divided up....

Lawliet knows what she's talking about.
    http://www.tcd.ie/Biology_Teaching_Centre/

Edit: Just saw your edit!

Lawliet knows what she's talking about.
    http://www.tcd.ie/Biology_Teaching_Centre/

Edit: Just saw your edit!

Thanks! :)
    I've got biology and chemisty.

I don't suppose you've any idea about maths methods? I can find the notes for normal maths...(I just transferred last week so sorry for being totally clueless about this...:)...webct still has my old course online, Iso I'm still not on the science *system* so I can't register for tutorials or anything? and thats where I've been told the notes go...)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~ryan/123.html
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~levene/1M01/?handouts

That second link is Rupert Levene's notes from last year, he no longer teaches maths methods and the new lecturer could be using a completely different set of notes. Your best bet is to find out who's teaching the course now and check their website for notes

Thank You :)

Yep I have the other lecturer's name - I'll try get her e-mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Sad to hear a SF Science student passed away last night, almost positive he was a frequent Boards user.. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Sad to hear a SF Science student passed away last night, almost positive he was a frequent Boards user.. RIP :(

jesus that's terrible, do you know the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thought it was odd to get an email about it the morning afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

dynamot wrote: »
    jesus that's terrible, do you know the cause?

Nope, no idea.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Thought it was odd to get an email about it the morning afterwards.

Same, thought it was a bad joke until I saw who it was from.

Maybe that user will post and prove us wrong...
    Very sad. The death notice just said that it was sudden. I feel really bad for his friends in science, it's got to be so tough facing back into college when you've lost someone who was a huge part of that. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

My heart goes out to his friends and family, wish I'd known him better. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Does anyone know is the chemistry tutorial at 1 tomorrow going ahead despite the 'stop the fees' march?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

dynamot wrote: »
    Does anyone know is the chemistry tutorial at 1 tomorrow going ahead despite the 'stop the fees' march?

Thanks

Rachel from the SU told us that heads of department and lecturers have been asked to make "allowances" with tutorials and lectures. Labs are the only thing that can't be changed... but again it's up to the staff to decide to carry on or cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LukeDavfc

Hey, does anyone have the web address for the Maths Methods PC lab CV? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tablerows

LukeDavfc wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone have the web address for the Maths Methods PC lab CV? Thanks

When were we assigned this CV to do out, and when is the deadline? I've only missed one Maths Methods lab (22/11/11) and I've never heard it mentioned.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if there's a programme you can use to draw chemical structures on the college computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Lawliet wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a programme you can use to draw chemical structures on the college computers?

there's none pre installed on the college computers but on the ISS page you can download accelrys draw or symyx draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

BK Chem is another good free alternative. I always used that one and found it really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Got a book voucher from Hodges & Figgis and looking to pick up some books to help me with my study. I'm in second year science doing mostly biology. Anyone recommend any study books for Biochemistry that are particularly helpful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rem

I found Voet, Voet and Pratt, Fundamentals of Biochemistry a good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Instant Notes in Biochemistry is great as well!

Hi again,
    was just wondering if anyone can help with a question about tutorials;

are we supposed to attend as many as possible? or just one a week for biology and chemistry? Math is compulsory, but I'm trying to go to as many of the basic chemistry and biology tutorials depending on my timetable (after transferring into JF late) - is there any point in this?

The normal chemistry seems to just be a repeated one - and you've to be assaigned to it so I only go to one of those.

Also - are the notes for the tutorials online?or on webCT? I don't have anything on webCT for my tutorials.

Thanks a lot if anyone can help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

1 Chemistry tutorial and 2 Biology tutorials - you're supposed to go to one of Cormacs and one of Mafaldas during the week.

Any 2nd/3rd years? Just wondering if you could tell me the level of difficulty of the Biology lab MCQ JF Biology have to do before Christmas.

The Christmas MCQ is pretty straight forward, they wont ask you anything that's not in the lab manual, so if you have a decent grasp on that you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

I remember the Biology one being okay, just go through your lab manual really well and you'll have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm in Pharmacy but have the same BY1101 MCQ tomorrow.

How detailed are the questions? Would you be expected to remember stuff like the order and quantities of the chemicals used to form the gels for the SDS-PAGE experiment or is it more along the lines of "Look at this diagram and name the cell type shown" and "What stain/indicator?" type questions? I've got another MCQ on Friday and don't want to lose time studying it in more detail than is necessary.

I honestly can't remember the questions that well so please don't blame me if I'm totally wrong, but I don't recall being asked specific quantities for anything, I'd say knowing all the chemicals would be more than fine. I remember being asked to identify things in diagrams and microscope slides, there was questions about stains and indicators, chromosomes, the magnification on the microscope, nothing too difficult. I wouldn't waste loads of time studying or stressing over it, it really is one of the most straight forward exams you will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lawliet wrote: »
    I honestly can't remember the questions that well so please don't blame me if I'm totally wrong, but I don't recall being asked specific quantities for anything, I'd say knowing all the chemicals would be more than fine. I remember being asked to identify things in diagrams and microscope slides, there was questions about stains and indicators, chromosomes, the magnification on the microscope, nothing too difficult. I wouldn't waste loads of time studying or stressing over it, it really is one of the most straight forward exams you will have.
    Well it is worth 22%. I really want to get as much of that 22% as is possible to make things a little less stressful come May.

By magnification on the microscope, do you mean "Eyepiece lens 10x, objective lens 40x, what is the total magnification?" or questions about scaling diagrams and the field e.t.c.?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I mean the scaling

Advertisement