Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Anyone have any opinions on this?? I thought it was an early April fools joke but its not

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/a-munster-final-in-nowlan-park-139490.html

The MUNSTER EXPRESS also has the same story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The MUNSTER EXPRESS also has the same story

Link??:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

it'll be all the one I imagine anyway if they continue to get the dismal crowds they got this year in Munster they may well have enough capacity in Walsh park

Link??:pac:

Website is usually not updated till Fridays. Will have to buy the paper if you want it sooner.

it'll be all the one I imagine anyway if they continue to get the dismal crowds they got this year in Munster they may well have enough capacity in Walsh park

Prices are said to be coming down, at least Munster Chiefs to look at prices. If they do, attendances could rise again. The GAA are with a while even in the good times are procing out many of its genuine fans from attending games, especially families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If we'd be open to travelling to Kilkenny, would the likes of Wexford also be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The Waterford News & Star also has a bit on this story:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhsnqlsn&cat=sport
    NOWLAN PARK
    In the present situation the Secretary comes up with a novel solution to our home and away problem to bring us into line with other counties as he writes – ‘We most certainly could enter into a ‘home and away’ arrangement with all of the other counties if we were to nominate Nowlan Park, Kilkenny as out ‘home’ venue for Munster Senior Hurling Championship games. Nowlan Park has a capacity of approximately 30,000 and now, with the new motorway from Kilmeaden it is located within 30 minutes drive of 70% of the population of the county.’

‘From a distance point of view Waterford city to Kilkenny is only 31 miles while Waterford city to Thurles is 63 miles. From the West of the county, say Lis-more, Kilkenny and Thurles are almost exactly the same distance (66 miles). The concept of playing major provincial games outside the province is not new. The Ulster Football Final was played in Croke Park Park a few tears ago.’

‘If we are to remain in the top four or five Hurling counties, where we have been for the past decade, we must continue to raise additional revenues to support team training to the highest possible level. The current high standards can only be maintained by well structured coaching and competition structures at every level. While I am unable to to say here exactly how much such an arrange-ment(Nowlan Park), would be worth to the Board I think that this is an opportunity that should be explored.’

It will be interesting to see if the Secretary’s suggestion prompts serious discussion at Thursday’s convention. I have no doubt however that such a move would be sternly resisted by Tipperary in particular as they would lose the Water-ford/Cork and the Water-ford/Limerick games in such an arrangement.

And a bit about the new DVD set:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhsnqlcw&cat=sport

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

a Munster final in Nowlan Park ..... no way!

surely the capacity of walsh park can be brought up to 20,000 easily enough .... that's good enough for Munster semi-finals & Munster Finals should be played at neutral venues.

I hope this talk is just a bargaining position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Wouldnt be too mad on the idea myself, i wouldnt even do up Walsh Park, why dont they develop out at Carriganore? Its a sin we dont have a decent stadium in Waterford, most of the Counties have decent facilities

comeraghs wrote: »
    a Munster final in Nowlan Park ..... no way!

surely the capacity of walsh park can be brought up to 20,000 easily enough .... that's good enough for Munster semi-finals & Munster Finals should be played at neutral venues.

I hope this talk is just a bargaining position.

If a motion in Tipp is passed at the weekend, the other five counties in Munster will be asked to vote on staging the Munster Senior and Minor Hurling Final in Thurles each year regarless of who is in it.

It makes a bit of sense if it does. Regardless of who is in the Leinster Senior Hurling Football and Hurling Finals, they are played in Croke Park. The only chance of the ground been anywhere near full is if Dublin are involved in the Senior Football Final. The Ulster Football Final is played more years than not is played at Clones. So why not have a home for the Munster hurling Final, one of the great sporting events in the world each year.

if Waterford did play games at Nolan Park and enter into a home and away arrangement with the other Munster Counties, the idea of possibly playing a Munster Final outside the province would not be new. There was a few Ulster Finals played in Croke Park in the recent past.

• Advertisement

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be too mad on the idea myself, i wouldnt even do up Walsh Park, why dont they develop out at Carriganore? Its a sin we dont have a decent stadium in Waterford, most of the Counties have decent facilities

There is not enough support in Waterford to build a stadium from scratch or near scratch that would be able to accomodate a crowd in the Munster Championship, especially a Munster Final. Building one would put a huge strain financially around the necks of the county board. Who would pay for it. How many times a year would it be full or near full.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Prices are said to be coming down, at least Munster Chiefs to look at prices. If they do, attendances could rise again. The GAA are with a while even in the good times are procing out many of its genuine fans from attending games, especially families.

I don't care about genuine fans or families all I care about is the extra few bobs the GAA have taken out of my pocket over the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ok, robbing an idea from another forum for another county but got a bit of debate going there so what harm. The idea is you rate the senior teams 1-12 based on the last championship and where you think they stand. Heres my attempt

1. De La Salle- Munster champions, their position as top team in the county is unarguable
    2. Ballygunner- Made a lot of changes in the past year phasing out the old guard and bringing in the new to a near seamless effect. Future looks bright for the gunners
    3. Lismore- Been close to making the breakthrough the last few years but an overreliance on Maurice Shanahan and their inability to close out tight games leaves them short of the big 2
    4. Passage- Most improved team in the county with promising young players but if Kelly doesnt shoot the lights out its hard to see who will
    5. Ballyduff Upper- Always a hard team to beat but the loss of Pa Kearney this year robbed them of their primary threat from open play especially in terms of goals. Team is in a period of transition and wont be replicating 2007 soon
    6. Mount Sion-Another year treading water for Sion but they do have some talent coming through. Expect an improvement next year
    7. Tallow- looked good in the group stages at times but team is far too lightweight to be serious challengers. Against De La Salle it was men against boys
    8. Fourmilewater- Probably the unluckiest team in the county the last few seasons losing way too many tight games
    9. Abbeyside- The team was ravaged with players emigrating and injuries. With a full team they could be contesting for the championship. Without, a quarter final is the best they can hope for
    10. Dungarvan- Survival can be regarded as a success for first season back with the big boys
    11. Stradbally- Beating a team in the relegation final who can barely field a team by a point says it all
    12. Ballyduff Lower- They were a mess this year. A year or two in Intermediate may do them no harm to rebuild

only 11.000 at Munster Semi v Clare this year so Walsh Park or Ennis would have hosted that comfortably ... & with a much better atmosphere.

how many would be expected at Waterford v Limerick next year? maximum 15,000 .... Walsh Park would be fine for that.

How much would it cost to build a proper 30,000 stadium with undersoil heating etc out in Carrignore? & How much would we expect to get if Walsh Park was sold?

Good post DeiseDude.

I´d worry about Mt Sion, true that they have young fellas coming up but surely Ken, Tony & Eoin McGrath can´t have too many years in them.

Fareplay to FMW/The Nire & Stradbally competing in senior in both codes with small populations & to a lesser extent Abbeyside/Ballinacourty as although there population is big their football & hurling panels are more or less the same players.

I reckon Roanmore will do fairly well in senior next year & I´d love to see Tallow kick on a bit and make a county final.

& best of luck to De La Salle in the All-Ireland series.

How much would it cost to build a proper 30,000 stadium with undersoil heating etc out in Carrignore? & How much would we expect to get if Walsh Park was sold?

(A) a Lot and is there a need for such facilities within the GAA

(B) not enough.

only 11.000 at Munster Semi v Clare this year so Walsh Park or Ennis would have hosted that comfortably ... & with a much better atmosphere.

how many would be expected at Waterford v Limerick next year? maximum 15,000 .... Walsh Park would be fine for that.

The thing is if the game was at Walsh Park i would expect more people to go as travelling isn't as big an issue for fans. Of course its a moot point as i doubt we will ever know

all very good points and in a perfect world the county board would have gone out to Carraiganore when the option was given to them years ago, but like you have no forward thinkers in the county board, all jobs for the boyos is all thats there and you have to have a negative "NO" mentality to be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is there anywhere that the Club Deise DVD set can be ordered online lads?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that the Club Deise DVD set can be ordered online lads?

I'd say get in contact using the Club deise website for them to send you a copy.

Saw this on their website which may be of interest to you
    If you are unable to travel to any of these shops Club Deise will post a copy to you but please note that as all proceeds are to go to the
    training fund there will be a charge for this facility - Registered
    Post & Packaging to anywhere in Ireland will 7.25 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The redevelopment of Casement Park in Belfast to a 40,000 all seater stadium is estimated to cost €95M so on that basis it would cost approx. €70M for a 30,000.

tonc76 wrote: »
    The redevelopment of Casement Park in Belfast to a 40,000 all seater stadium is estimated to cost €95M so on that basis it would cost approx. €70M for a 30,000.

And maybe more. Dont materials cost that little bit less in the North. I am sure any Contractor would be sourcing them up there when doing the job in Belfast. Even if they were brought down from the North to Waterford you would have the cost of trasport etc so i would add a nice bit onto your estimate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It cost 40 million to do up Thomond Park to be a 26,000 stadium, I don't think 70M would be too far off

Clareman wrote: »
    It cost 40 million to do up Thomond Park to be a 26,000 stadium, I don't think 70M would be too far off

To fit 26,000 around a rugby field is a much easier task that to fit the same amount around a GAA Field. The area is much bigger meaning a lot more materials/labour etc been needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

True, but GAA grounds doesn't need seating on both sides of the pitch, doesn't need to have as many bars, or corporate boxes, I would imagine that there wouldn't be a huge delta between building a county ground and a rugby ground

Clareman wrote: »
    True, but GAA grounds doesn't need seating on both sides of the pitch, doesn't need to have as many bars, or corporate boxes, I would imagine that there wouldn't be a huge delta between building a county ground and a rugby ground

Agree, the GAA Dont need bars, and Corporate Boxes etc, but neither do Rugby or any other sport and anyone that does believe they do are away with the fairies. Does Rugby need seats on both sides of the field. Surely one good size stand on one side of the field, like what you see at many GAA grounds would do.

Personally I don't think we need as many stadiums as we have, for example Clare doesn't need to have Cusack Park with the Gaelic grounds just down the road, I don't know if Waterford needs to waste money on a new stadium with Nolan Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Pairc Ui Rinn so close, not to mention Thurles, but I can understand each county wanting a county ground.

so Nowlan park, the new home of munster hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Here's a list of all the games on the DVD boxset for anyone interested:

2002 Munster final vs Tipp
    2003 Munster final vs Cork
    2004 Munster 1st round vs Clare
    2004 Munster final vs Cork
    2007 League final vs Kilkenny
    2007 Munster semi vs Cork
    2007 Munster final vs Limerick
    2008 AI Semi vs Tipp
    2009 Minor Munster final vs Tipp
    2009 Minor AI Semi vs Galway
    2009 U21 Munster final vs Clare
    2009 Munster SF replay vs Limerick
    2009 AI QF vs Galway
    2010 Munster final replay vs Cork
    Also includes a DVD with a general lookback on the decade.

The lack of either AI QF matches against Cork in 2007 is disappointing, and I'm not sure what the Limerick match from 09 is doing there, but that side it's still a great deal for a worthy cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Read the book the ecstasy and the agony. Very embarrassed by it!! makes us out to be behind the times and players very immature. Couldn't help but laugh at the line 'Justin couldn't keep us off the drink' ffs they were grown men who shouldn't have needed Justin to keep them off the drink. I thought Paul Flynn came across terribly in it which is sad as I'd be a massive admirer of his and funnily I thought Eoin Kelly came across great in it, spoke very intelligently about where Waterford were lacking in years gone by.

One of the saddest things in the book was the sheer incompetence in the setup around the late 80s early 90s. Players like Noel Crowley and Damian Byrne were nevr given the chance to realise their full potential.

I couldn't believe the naivety of some lads in it, they were too bloody honest, some things should be kept to themselves.

The shambles that was the resignation of Justin McCarthy was a disgrace. I couldn't believe the players didn't have the decency and balls to inform the man themselves that they wanted him gone, made me sick to the pit of my stomach. Aswell as that Sheamie Hannon saying that only 1 player from outside Ballyduff had the decency to ring him and offer condolences to him after the death of his mother.

I'd have to think long and hard before I was to describe the bunch of lads from 02-10 as honest and commited because I don't think all of them were. A lot of binge drinking going on and shifting of blame in defeat.

I think this book was a big mistake tbh, think it'll drag up a lot of things from the past that should have been left well enough alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement