Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Daysha wrote: »
    The only thing I ask is that the player is a guaranteed starter if fit. Looking at our panel right now the only players we can consider as 100% definite starters regardless of what happens between now and June are Connors, Brick, Molumphy, Kelly and Mullane. Kelly is a non-runner given his antics in the past IMO and it's too soon for Connors. Given we've just had 2 years of Molumphy and 2 years of Brick then Mullane seems to be the obvious choice, but again I'm not worrying about it too much*.

*although the sight of a tearful John Mullane lifting the Liam McCarthy Cup in September as captain would be more than enough to make me wet my pants.

I would love to be proved wrong, but i dont think you will not be seeing John Mullane or any Waterford player lift the Liam McCarthy Cup in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

deise_girl wrote: »
    What about Eoin Murphy?
    He must be very close to being a certainty for the number 2 spot again this year and has been very consistent for us..

Don't be surprised if Jerome Maher gets elevated into the first team. Agreed though Murphy is Mr Consistency but he is pushing on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deisedude wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if Jerome Maher gets elevated into the first team. Agreed though Murphy is Mr Consistency but he is pushing on

Have heard good things about young Maher, haven't seen a lot of him bar a game or two in the league last year. Would he be good enough to nail down or even give Murph a run for his money for no. 2 position?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Have heard good things about young Maher, haven't seen a lot of him bar a game or two in the league last year. Would he be good enough to nail down or even give Murph a run for his money for no. 2 position?

Well only time will tell, I'd imagine Davy will rest Murph for most of the league and Maher will get a chance to stake his claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The only thing I ask is that the player is a guaranteed starter if fit. Looking at our panel right now the only players we can consider as 100% definite starters regardless of what happens between now and June are Connors, Brick, Molumphy, Kelly and Mullane. Kelly is a non-runner given his antics in the past IMO and it's too soon for Connors. Given we've just had 2 years of Molumphy and 2 years of Brick then Mullane seems to be the obvious choice, but again I'm not worrying about it too much*.

*although the sight of a tearful John Mullane lifting the Liam McCarthy Cup in September as captain would be more than enough to make me wet my pants.

Imagine the speech. The bleep button on RTE would be broken.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

flahavaj wrote: »
    Imagine the speech. The bleep button on RTE would be broken.:pac:

Haha, I was hoping it would be something more like this:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Couple of points I'd like to make, 1, I don't think a sent off player should be interviewed, it's not fair on the player.

And 2, more importantly, did someone take a video of a video that's playing through media player???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Great day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Clareman wrote: »
    And 2, more importantly, did someone take a video of a video that's playing through media player???

They did an all. :confused: lol

It was particularly lousy on Mullane that day as he was battered all day by the same clown who he gave the little tap to (caused him to hit the deck like he was split open from a tap on his helmet, ridiculous) that got him sent off. Bit more protection from a ref doing his job correctly and the frustration wouldn't have got the better of Mullane. Fair play to him for not bothering with any appeals or for blaming anyone else but himself, I thought it showed what he's really like. You wouldn't see Paul Galvin handle himself like that.

Was a great day to be a Waterford fan, that victory was right sweet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

lads! out of the juristiction at the moment!

2 questions!

1 - Any news on transfers for 2011 ?

2 - will it be possible to watch the DLS v Clarenbridge match on-line with tg4?

thanks!

• Advertisement

comeraghs wrote: »
    lads! out of the juristiction at the moment!

2 questions!

1 - Any news on transfers for 2011 ?

2 - will it be possible to watch the DLS v Clarenbridge match on-line with tg4?

thanks!

The TG4 website was geoblocked last year for intercounty games because Setanta had the rights for games outside of Ireland. Not sure about club championship though, might still work but i think you need to be in Ireland to watch the content

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

TG4 Will show it. Any news from the matches at the weekend?

There are reports in The Munster Express, Sultan.

2 wins

www.munster-express.ie

oops! I meant in the News & Star

www.waterford-news.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From WLR:
    Waterford's Paul Flynn has been confirmed as the new Carlow Under 21 hurling manager.

Paul Flynn takes over from fellow Deise man Kevin Ryan after the latter was promoted to becoming the county's senior manager, but is set to stay on as a selector under Flynn's regime.

The pair worked together under Justin McCarthy's managerial s...tint with Waterford.
    Former Waterford senior hurler and Ballygunner clubman Fergal Hartley is set to be named as the new Waterford under 21 hurling manager.

He will be joined on the management team by selectors Tom Feeney from Ballyduff Upper and Dereck McGrath from De La Salle.

The appointments are expected to be ratified by the Waterford county boa...rd on Monday night.

Very happy with those appointments. We need to give ourselves as many home-grown options as possible to take over from Davy so this is a great start.

Getting Derek McGrath in on the U21's is a great idea too. He coached DLS College to the Harty and All-Ireland victories in 2007 and 2008, and a lot of those guys he worked with then will now form the backbone of the U21 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Very happy with those appointments. We need to give ourselves as many home-grown options as possible to take over from Davy so this is a great start.

Getting Derek McGrath in on the U21's is a great idea too. He coached DLS College to the Harty and All-Ireland victories in 2007 and 2008, and a lot of those guys he worked with then will now form the backbone of the U21 team.

Very true, happy myself with those appointments. Good to see a few Waterford men given the chance to manage an intercounty team, Carlow in this case.

Pleased with Tom, Fergal and Derek for the U21's. Really committed and knowledgeable hurling men and as Daysha said, Derek Mc will have worked with a few of the players in DLS so a good decision. Tom came off very well in The Ecstacy and the Agony book, seems a committed guy who just puts his head down and gets on with the job. Fergal has done and seen it all before so his experience will be crucial.

It says Kevin Ryan was promoted to Carlow senior manager, wasnt he senior manager last year?:confused:

So according to the Indo our best players from the top working our way down are:

Brick
    Mullane
    Browne
    McGrath
    Kelly
    Connors
    Molumphy
    O'Sullivan
    Murphy
    Hennessy
    S. Prender
    Moran
    Foley

Bit kind on Ken given his injuries, but he did brilliantly when he came on late in the games so that's probably what they're basing it off. Switch Mullane and Brick around but apart from that not a bad list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It says Kevin Ryan was promoted to Carlow senior manager, wasnt he senior manager last year?:confused:

Yes he was, it's just typical lack of doing any research or caring about the lesser counties. He took over from Jim Greene, another Waterford man. And now we have Paul Flynn involved as 21s boss, we seem to be building up a big Waterford link here somehow.

Will be a tough year for Carlow this year as 6 of our 1st team have retired/emigrated/injured so relying on mainly under 21s. For Flynn this could work well as most of best players in Carlow are 21 or less.

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    Yes he was, it's just typical lack of doing any research or caring about the lesser counties. He took over from Jim Greene, another Waterford man. And now we have Paul Flynn involved as 21s boss, we seem to be building up a big Waterford link here somehow.

Will be a tough year for Carlow this year as 6 of our 1st team have retired/emigrated/injured so relying on mainly under 21s. For Flynn this could work well as most of best players in Carlow are 21 or less.

I figured as much. I think Kevin Ryan is doing a decent job with what he has. Beating Laois last year was certainly an improvement. He could well be in line to be next Wateford manager after Davy goes although Michael Ryan is probably favourite now after what he has done with De La Salle

I figured as much. I think Kevin Ryan is doing a decent job with what he has. Beating Laois last year was certainly an improvement. He could well be in line to be next Wateford manager after Davy goes although Michael Ryan is probably favourite now after what he has done with De La Salle

What a pity that those that went for it last time (3 of them anyway) were wrote off to an extent before any interview took place, but thats a debate for another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

From what I hear Ryan is going to finish up with us in Carlow after this year so he will be available. We had a good 2010, beating Wexford in league and beating Laois in championship wud have to be the highlights. Were well ahead of Antrim too in Belfast in next round, but lost 3 main players thru injuries and we fell apart.

That's what worries me about this year, we have a very good 1st 15, but seriouly lacking after that. With 6 gone from last year it will only get worse I fear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Both Waterford sides in action today in the pre season tournaments. The footballers beat tipp and WIT beat tipp in the Waterford crystal hurling

KevIRL wrote: »
    Both Waterford sides in action today in the pre season tournaments. The footballers beat tipp and WIT beat tipp in the Waterford crystal hurling

Clare next up for the footballers after they beat Cork I.T. today in their quarter final. A great chance to reach and posibly win the final for John Owens and his charges.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Clare next up for the footballers after they beat Cork I.T. today in their quarter final. A great chance to reach and posibly win the final for John Owens and his charges.

Indeed and great preparation for Division 3 which surely has to be the priority this season

Indeed and great preparation for Division 3 which surely has to be the priority this season

I agree.

I hope that Waterford wont be going into Division three fearing the worst. We should be looking at what others have achieved in recent years. its not all that long ago that we were playing the likes of Antrim, Sligo and Wexford etc in Division four. The same with Tipp. We should be looking to what they have achieved since coming out of Division three and try and imulate it. Wexford, Antrim and Sligo have all contested provincial finals, and Tipp secured two successive promotions, but came down one again for 2011. I dont expect Waterford to be winning Munster Finals in the years ahead, as it would be very hard to topple Cork or Kerry, and with the luck they have they have a tendency to avoid each other in the draws most years till the final, but if they were to be paired together before the final and we are on the opposite side of the draw as what happened in 2010, we have to believe that we can get to the final, and once in it to not fear either Cork or Kerry. Ok we might not win but a respectable showing should be a must. I dont think either of the big two would set out to give a minnow like Waterford a hammering in the final if it was to happen. There would be nothing extra out of it for them to do so.

Before we all get too excited about WIT beating the AI champions it should be noted that Hammersby the Tipp youngster scored 1-9 for WIT

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I agree.

I hope that Waterford wont be going into Division three fearing the worst. We should be looking at what others have achieved in recent years. its not all that long ago that we were playing the likes of Antrim, Sligo and Wexford etc in Division four. The same with Tipp. We should be looking to what they have achieved since coming out of Division three and try and imulate it. Wexford, Antrim and Sligo have all contested provincial finals, and Tipp secured two successive promotions, but came down one again for 2011. I dont expect Waterford to be winning Munster Finals in the years ahead, as it would be very hard to topple Cork or Kerry, and with the luck they have they have a tendency to avoid each other in the draws most years till the final, but if they were to be paired together before the final and we are on the opposite side of the draw as what happened in 2010, we have to believe that we can get to the final, and once in it to not fear either Cork or Kerry. Ok we might not win but a respectable showing should be a must. I dont think either of the big two would set out to give a minnow like Waterford a hammering in the final if it was to happen. There would be nothing extra out of it for them to do so.

Yep Tom, you are right, I think the best way for Waterford to be in the position to get to Provincial finals (and possibly a decent run in the qualifiers) is to consilidate in Div 3 for a few seasons, make sure they dont drop back down and possibly even challenge for promotion. The difference to the long term performance of the team by having decent opposition every week, and no weeks playing Kilkenny or London (no disrespect intended) in the basement division would be immense

• Advertisement

The Clare McGrath cup game is a home game so I assume next Sunday in Dungarvan? Will get down to it if so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement