Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just to re-iterate, I didn't write the article so I don't wanna take credit for it but yeah I found it a good read myself! Not sure who did write it but I'd assume it was prob someone from inside the county as it mentions a good few players who prob wouldn't be heard of outside the county.

The one main thing Clinton has tho is plenty of experience and that really counts in the white heat of Championship hurling. True, he may not pull off some unbelieveable saves but he is what we've described in the last few years "a safe pair of hands". For those reasons, I'd think Davy will stick with Clint for 2011 but hopefully with Power and SO'K to get some league games and one of them to play with the intermediates to gain more experience.

I'd agree with your points on the FB line, Lawlor may still be a bit unproven but it's probably the best option we have and I also think Eoin Murphy has another year in him.

Half back line, on paper it would be encouraging to see Moran at 6 and Brick moved to midfield but it would be hard to convince Davy of moving an All Star CB. But with Moran very strong for DLS at 6, it will give Davy something to think about at least. I'm sure Daniels and Mahony will get their chances in the league too but Tony will definitely go in there for Championship, should he decide to stay on.

Midfield depends on the Brick situation, Sully, Foley and Molumphy are good options either way too I think.

Hopefully Maurice can carry on his form for Lismore, I'd put him wing forward. Hard to know who to put CF, I don't think Ken has it to start games anymore tbh, Seamus Prender not really up to it anymore and Moran just not right there either. That prob leaves Molumphy at 11. Could do worse then giving Paudi Nevin of DLS a shot at 12, been in good form lately.

FF line of Mullane, Kelly (?) and O' Halloran. Or maybe Walsh at FF with Kelly dropping out to the wing, it's a hard one to call I suppose. We'll have to wait and see who makes themselves available and if any decent options emerge from trials being held.

Best of luck to DLS today, hopefully they will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Any news on whether the match is on or not? Can't see anything on Munster Council or Tipp GAA site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any news on whether the match is on or not? Can't see anything on Munster Council or Tipp GAA site.

Was thinking the same myself, I'd say it will be as I'm sure something would have been mentioned by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just to re-iterate, I didn't write the article so I don't wanna take credit for it but yeah I found it a good read myself! Not sure who did write it but I'd assume it was prob someone from inside the county as it mentions a good few players who prob wouldn't be heard of outside the county.

The one main thing Clinton has tho is plenty of experience and that really counts in the white heat of Championship hurling. True, he may not pull off some unbelieveable saves but he is what we've described in the last few years "a safe pair of hands". For those reasons, I'd think Davy will stick with Clint for 2011 but hopefully with Power and SO'K to get some league games and one of them to play with the intermediates to gain more experience.

I'd agree with your points on the FB line, Lawlor may still be a bit unproven but it's probably the best option we have and I also think Eoin Murphy has another year in him.

Half back line, on paper it would be encouraging to see Moran at 6 and Brick moved to midfield but it would be hard to convince Davy of moving an All Star CB. But with Moran very strong for DLS at 6, it will give Davy something to think about at least. I'm sure Daniels and Mahony will get their chances in the league too but Tony will definitely go in there for Championship, should he decide to stay on.

Midfield depends on the Brick situation, Sully, Foley and Molumphy are good options either way too I think.

Hopefully Maurice can carry on his form for Lismore, I'd put him wing forward. Hard to know who to put CF, I don't think Ken has it to start games anymore tbh, Seamus Prender not really up to it anymore and Moran just not right there either. That prob leaves Molumphy at 11. Could do worse then giving Paudi Nevin of DLS a shot at 12, been in good form lately.

FF line of Mullane, Kelly (?) and O' Halloran. Or maybe Walsh at FF with Kelly dropping out to the wing, it's a hard one to call I suppose. We'll have to wait and see who makes themselves available and if any decent options emerge from trials being held.

Best of luck to DLS today, hopefully they will do it.

Good Analysis! My take on it.

Clinton, while maybe not as good a shot stopper as Power or O'Keefe is better at doing the simple things such as under the dropping ball, getting rid of the sliotar under pressure. Ideally i'd like them all to get a game or two in the league but i'd expect Davy to stick with Clinton come championship.

In the full back line Connors is a certainty. Lawlor was steady last year at full back but i'd also like to see Mark O'Brien get a few games there. On the back of one bad game against Kilkenny he was written off, didnt think he fared too bad in the other games. Murphy still has another year in him but i'd give him time off and give Maher a chance to stake his place. Really think he is a big prospect.

The half back line is a tricky one. I'd be inclined to try Moran at centre back for a few league games and see how he does. If it doesnt work slot Brick back there. Give Tony and Dec Prender a rest and leave Daniels, Mahoney, Nagle and Kearney stake their claim in the league for the wing back slots

Midfield is fine. Think Sully and Foley were our most improved players last year. Molumphy will operate as a third midfielder a lot of the time anyway

To the half forward line. Maurice Shanahan i hope will come in to his own on the wing. I'd try Brick Centre forward, we desperately need a ball winner here. I'm a big fan of Molumphy and his tireless working but i'm a bit mystified why people want to play him centre forward. He roams around and isnt tall enough for centre forward which gives the opposition centre back a great platform to set up attacks. Definately worth his place on the wing though

To the full forward line. Mullane in one corner. Kelly at full forward because he doesnt work hard enough to be put anywhere else. I like Shane Walsh too but due to his lack of pace the only place i would play him at intercounty is fullforward. So a tossup between those two. O'Halloran and Shane Casey to fight for the other corner spot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Mushy wrote: »

Seems to be a very small crowd in the stands. It is fair stupid of the Munster Council to be playing it today. The main factor that should be used to decide if the game went ahead or not was not how much or how little snow fell in Cork and if the pitch was frozen, ok these are important, but the first thing that should be checked was if it was safe for fans from Waterford and Thurles to travel to the game. Maybe a quick phone call should be made to the cops in places like Waterford, Dungarvan, Youghal, Thurles, Cashel and Fermoy etc and enquire if the roads were safe to travel on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

1.614 at the game.

Fair dues to De La Salle, great win (not easy for a Mount Sion man to say :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kevin Moran superb again at centre back, he's realy giving us another option in that position.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Kevin Moran superb again at centre back, he's realy giving us another option in that position.

Would say he should be there for the county and Brick at Centre forward to give us more fire power, but guess that is not going to happen. Could also put Brick Centre Field and Molumphy at 11 for the fire power needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Congrats to De La Salle today, hope ye go the whole way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Next up for de la salle is the all ireland semi final vs Clarinbridge of Galway in Feb 2011.

Loughgiel shamrocks of antrim will play the winners of O Loughlan Gaels/Oulart the Ballagh in the other semi final.

What a boost to the whole county if De La Salle win the All Ireland Club on Patricks day 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Next up for de la salle is the all ireland semi final vs Clarinbridge of Galway in Feb 2011.

Loughgiel shamrocks of antrim will play the winners of O Loughlan Gaels/Oulart the Ballagh in the other semi final.

What a boost to the whole county if De La Salle win the All Ireland Club on Patricks day 2011.

2 munster club titles in 3 years fair play to De la salle they've shown they're a great team, they could have easily have cracked under pressure in the last 2 matches but didnt. Great for waterford hurling I would dearly love to see them win the All Ireland as no Waterford club has won it before they should definitely be good enough to do it as the other clubs left dont look as strong as previous years. Dont know much about Clarinbridge or what players they have but galway clubs are always decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Great to see us gettin a bit of recognition and respect, a lot of bitter heads about the place the last 2 years over what DLS have achieved. might come across as sore winners but it was really was uncalled for what some of the things were bein said about the club, i'd support any club who goes on to represent waterford in the AI Club championship and I think we deserve the same.
    De La Salle Abú!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Round 1- Waterford vs Dublin- Sun 13 Feb 11
    Round 2- Wexford vs Waterford- Sun 20 Feb 11
    Round 3- Tipperary vs Waterford- Sat 05 Mar 11
    Round 4- Waterford vs Cork- Sun 13 Mar 11
    Round 5- Kilkenny vs Waterford- Sun 27 Mar 11
    Round 6- Offaly vs Waterford- Sun 03 April 11
    Round 7- Waterford vs Galway- Sun 17 April 11

This will be one of the toughest league campaigns for waterford in years. have a feeling we will be fighting for survival. Dublin and Wexford are improving and will be tough. Never write off Cork and Galway. Offaly will be one of the weaker teams but its always a tough battle for us. Tipperary and Kilkenny will be a huge challenge for us to overcome Possibily we could be without the De La Salle players (Mullane, Moran, Daniels, Flynn possibly a few others) till maybe Round 5 or 6 of the league.

Waterford's first game of the new year will be against the winners of Kerry/CIT in the quarter finals of the Waterford Crystal Cup on Jan 23rd 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Round 1- Waterford vs Dublin- Sun 13 Feb 11
    Round 2- Wexford vs Waterford- Sun 20 Feb 11
    Round 3- Tipperary vs Waterford- Sat 05 Mar 11
    Round 4- Waterford vs Cork- Sun 13 Mar 11
    Round 5- Kilkenny vs Waterford- Sun 27 Mar 11
    Round 6- Offaly vs Waterford- Sun 03 April 11
    Round 7- Waterford vs Galway- Sun 17 April 11

This will be one of the toughest league campaigns for waterford in years. have a feeling we will be fighting for survival. Dublin and Wexford are improving and will be tough. Never write off Cork and Galway. Offaly will be one of the weaker teams but its always a tough battle for us. Tipperary and Kilkenny will be a huge challenge for us to overcome Possibily we could be without the De La Salle players (Mullane, Moran, Daniels, Flynn possibly a few others) till maybe Round 5 or 6 of the league.

Waterford's first game of the new year will be against the winners of Kerry/CIT in the quarter finals of the Waterford Crystal Cup on Jan 23rd 2011.

Nonsense, Waterford won't be battling for survival at all. I'm presuming that only one team goes down as usual and I can assure you that that will not be Waterford. As someone who follows Dublin hurling quite closely, they have improved in recent years but are still nowhere near Waterfords level. Even without the DLS players I would expect us to beat Dublin, Wexford and Offaly without much trouble and at a very minimum beat one of the rest. Bare in mind that Mullane and Moran were the only starters last year and apart from Morans absolute Stormer against Dublin he wasn't all that great anyway. Fair enough he's been class at centre back for DLS this year but he's not going to get his game for Waterford there unless Brick is moved to centre forward.

Now I know Daniels is in with a great spot for a wing back spot this year along with Doherty deserving a chance but we can well survive without the DLS lads for a few games.

redlead wrote: »
    Nonsense, Waterford won't be battling for survival at all. I'm presuming that only one team goes down as usual and I can assure you that that will not be Waterford. As someone who follows Dublin hurling quite closely, they have improved in recent years but are still nowhere near Waterfords level. Even without the DLS players I would expect us to beat Dublin, Wexford and Offaly without much trouble and at a very minimum beat one of the rest. Bare in mind that Mullane and Moran were the only starters last year and apart from Morans absolute Stormer against Dublin he wasn't all that great anyway. Fair enough he's been class at centre back for DLS this year but he's not going to get his game for Waterford there unless Brick is moved to centre forward.

Now I know Daniels is in with a great spot for a wing back spot this year along with Doherty deserving a chance but we can well survive without the DLS lads for a few games.

I dont know about you optimism. Its not all that long ago that Dublin beat Waterford in the League. I know there was other factors on that occasion but the fact is Dublin still won, and could well beat Waterford again this year. The De La Salle players that will be missing for the first few rounds and if as expected some of the older players are given time off from playing in the early rounds of the league, Waterford could well struggle. Lets face it under the present management we have not set the world on fire in the league, as it appears (I could be wrong) that they do not see it as a serious competition. Ok we have some good young players coming through, but are they as good right now as people think. There is no doubt that in the future some of them will be fine players at inter county level. They may be doing well for their clubs at adult level but they have experienced players around them, eg, the likes of Mullane, Hartly, Tony Browne etc. If the likes of these experienced are not in the Senior Inter County Team from early in the year with the young players, the younger players could well suffer a serious blow to their confidence if they are badly beaten by the likes of Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

O Riain wrote: »
    Great to see us gettin a bit of recognition and respect, a lot of bitter heads about the place the last 2 years over what DLS have achieved. might come across as sore winners but it was really was uncalled for what some of the things were bein said about the club, i'd support any club who goes on to represent waterford in the AI Club championship and I think we deserve the same.
    De La Salle Abú!!

Any chance you'd enlighten us on what this is all about ? Picked up vibes in numerous interviews with DLS players and Ian Flynn was alluding to something in his speech on Sunday before TG4 cut him off , what's the problem here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Great to see some nice comments about DLS we should all support the team representing Waterford in the all-Ireland club no matter who it is, what went on in the Uluru on Sunday was a disgrace and those responsible are only cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Enlighten! What happened in the Uluru on Sunday?

I´m not a DLS man .... & I was in Croke Park supporting them against Portumna & hopefully will be back there this St Patricks Day.

Now I do feel that 2 of the stronger City sides do regard DLS as upstarts ... & do begrudge them their success .......... which I think is very sad ..... DLS´s success is based on their own underage success & as far as I know ..... except for one Tipp man the team all came up through the De La Salle club. Fair Play to them for that.

They certainly have tuned their feeling of disrepect into a positive ... there seems to be a real siege mentality ... "we´ll show them" .... feeling from this team ........ and as Dean Twomey said it´s one big f%&king happy family!

P.S. Hard Luck to the Tallow jnr footballers

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Any chance you'd enlighten us on what this is all about ? Picked up vibes in numerous interviews with DLS players and Ian Flynn was alluding to something in his speech on Sunday before TG4 cut him off , what's the problem here ?

Well around 2008 after winning the county there was a lot of negative comments on Up the Deise about that De La Salle team. It was mainly from bitter keyboard warriors from the other city clubs

comeraghs wrote: »

I´m not a DLS man .... & I was in Croke Park supporting them against Portumna & hopefully will be back there this St Patricks Day.

Now I do feel that 2 of the stronger City sides do regard DLS as upstarts ... & do begrudge them their success .......... which I think is very sad ..... DLS´s success is based on their own underage success & as far as I know ..... except for one Tipp man the team all came up through the De La Salle club. Fair Play to them for that.

They certainly have tuned their feeling of disrepect into a positive ... there seems to be a real siege mentality ... "we´ll show them" .... feeling from this team ........ and as Dean Twomey said it´s one big f%&king happy family!

Between yourself ,O Riain and Dugger you have all indicated that there's a problem with DLS 's success among "other" clubs ? Any detail ? I'm puzzled here . Must be serious 'cause being honest during an acceptance speech on the podium at a Munster Club final is not the place for washing dirty linen in public . BTW I too would love to see DLS as representatives of Waterford go on to win the All Ireland but this "seige mentality " and "feeling of disrespect" ? , where's that coming from ?

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Well around 2008 after winning the county there was a lot of negative comments on Up the Deise about that De La Salle team. It was mainly from bitter keyboard warriors from the other city clubs

Thanks , deisedude had just posted that last one as you did . Ok , that explains it somewhat but surely a few bitter posts on the internet from a couple of clowns hasn't got to the DLS team so bad that they allude to it at every turn ( with the exception of Kevin Moran's interview on TG4)?

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Thanks , deisedude had just posted that last one as you did . Ok , that explains it somewhat but surely a few bitter posts on the internet from a couple of clowns hasn't got to the DLS team so bad that they allude to it at every turn ( with the exception of Kevin Moran's interview on TG4)?

Probably not, maybe this was just a microcosm of the resentment of people. Not being from the city i dont know what the feeling was at the time, just a theory

comeraghs wrote: »

Conan Watt transfered to them a few years back as well, I think, but thats not here nor there. Best of Luck to them in the semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

deisedude wrote: »

I don't think a few eejits on an internet forum full of loonies is going to upset too many players. This idea of the "other city clubs" resenting DLS's success is a load of nonsense too. I know for a fact that the vast majority of people in Mount Sion have nothing but respect for DLS and all the hard work they have put in for years, especially considering their lack of success. Ryan is trying to get this siege mentality thing going with the players and if it works leave him off but there is very little basis to it.

Ballygunners stunt with Mullanes suspension last year was a disgrace but sure I wouldn't put anything past that lot.

Best of luck to DLS and they have already done Waterford proud. Here's to hoping that they go on and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Certain players from ballygunner were cheering for thurles on Sunday out in the Uluru from what I hear one or two of the ballygunner lads rang on Monday to try to clear there names, I heard it was disgraceful out there and it's now common knowledge around the city what the vibe was out there on Sunday. Take it what ever way you want but the same fella's will be supporting them when they put on the Waterford jerseys next year. It's a joke

dugger wrote: »
    Certain players from ballygunner were cheering for thurles on Sunday out in the Uluru from what I hear one or two of the ballygunner lads rang on Monday to try to clear there names, I heard it was disgraceful out there and it's now common knowledge around the city what the vibe was out there on Sunday. Take it what ever way you want but the same fella's will be supporting them when they put on the Waterford jerseys next year. It's a joke

dugger , you seemed to have "heard" a lot about what went on in the Uluru and you "heard" some of the Ballgunner lads rang on Monday to clear their names? Personally I'll reserve judgement on this allegation about their behaviour until I hear from somebody who was ACTUALLY there?
    If what you "heard" is true it's fairly pathetic stuff but I'd prefer to hear from somebody who was present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This was posted over in the Waterford City forum last week:
    I hear that a number of players from a certain Waterford GAA club, including a senior county player formerly with MS & now with Passage had to make an apology to DLS after remarks made on Facebook!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100108

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Aside from whatever happened in the Uluru, there was also the total lack of respect given to their performances in the run in to the county final.

DLS beat Tallow and Passage by cricket scores, and people seemed determined to put this down purely to Passage and Tallow being poor on the day. While they probably were to some extent, surely some link should have been made to DLS simply being too strong.

Then Ballygunner were installed as massive favourites for the final, (which resulted in a lot of DLS people cleaning up in the bookies!). The attitute in the local media after another comfortable DLS win was "did anyone see this coming". Well-yes I did. I saw it coming after watching the quarter and semis!

I think this was Ian Flynn was eluding to in a lot of his message. As for the youth structures, this is the real source of the success. Long years of hard work. 5 of the starting team won a Féile in 1999 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

hardybuck wrote: »

I think this was Ian Flynn was eluding to in a lot of his message. As for the youth structures, this is the real source of the success. Long years of hard work. 5 of the starting team won a Féile in 1999 as far as I know.

And 2 from the team that won it in 2003

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Flynn said something in his speech about the players getting a message after the game about "DLS having no history" or something like that. Seems to have worked to their advantage anyway, the likes of Jose and Fergie constantly use stuff like this to create a seige mentality amnongst their players in soccer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement