Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Hope you visited Paddy Power's after writing that.
    No,didnt have the bet,although Boylesports were 11/10 for the clare side to prevail.

Went to the game today and im a very happy fella with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

How'd Clashmore get on?

comeraghs wrote: »
    How'd Clashmore get on?
    Beaten by 2 pts.

That's a shame. Thought they could do well in the Munster championship. Especially with home advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well done to DLS today, very good game from what I've heard. Away all weekend so didn't catch any of it but was told they clawed it back in normal time to a draw and squeezed through in the end of ET by the minimum. Hopefully highlights on TG4 during the week. Anyone at it/saw it and can give an account of who played well etc.??
    Makes for a good Munster final against Thurles Sarsfields. Will that be next weekend or the weekend after?
    Also, where will it be on? Would it be Thurles considering Thurles are in it?

First of all Moran for me was man of the match from the start when he made an extremely well timed flick on the sarsfield player soloin the ball right to the end of normal time when he chipped over an out of this world score. MOTM thru and thru.
    In sayin that daniels was also top notch, at one stage he was pinned into the sideline with three sars men behind him and he just flicked the sliotar back over his head straight into a DLS mans hand, could have maybe not worked out aswell but it was a nice touch.
    Forwards wise paidi nevin was in top form in the first half with 3/4 points and not a wide between them i dont think.
    Mullane it must be said had an off day, didnt look right, but the man once we came back into it chipped in with two trademark johnny points. could waterford win with mullane not in form?
    Dean twomey very good in midfield these runs he goes on are very effective and today was no exception.
    Then the Bull, what can you say he's a class act through and through, quiet shockin how he never got fully utilized under davy when lesser players imo are getting games!
    Dillon didnt have a superb game either today maybe tried to much to let the ball go past him and his man and then go for it to try and maybe create a goal opening but the breaks just didnt come for him.
    The game swung once Madigan came on but I could feel it swinging at that stage anyway, the two goals imo flattered sars and DLS were'nt on the kinda form seen in the waterford championship.
    great great win and another munster final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Very well done to De La Salle. Very enjoyable game(watched on TG4) I thought they were easily the better team throughout and played much more fluent hurling but boy did they make hard work of it. Conceded two very soft goals in the first half and shot a load of wides in normal time, I thought the game had gone away from them but up stepped Kevin Moran from CB with a monster point to level with the last puck to send it into ET. They must be fancying themselves to go all the way now but Thurles will be another tough one to get over next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Beaten by 2 pts.

Lost Sean Fleming to injury before half time. He was a huge loss as he was playing well. They did put him on for the last 12 minutes but he was not up to it. Was a gamble that did not pay off.

O Riain wrote: »
    First of all Moran for me was man of the match from the start when he made an extremely well timed flick on the sarsfield player soloin the ball right to the end of normal time when he chipped over an out of this world score. MOTM thru and thru.
    In sayin that daniels was also top notch, at one stage he was pinned into the sideline with three sars men behind him and he just flicked the sliotar back over his head straight into a DLS mans hand, could have maybe not worked out aswell but it was a nice touch.
    Forwards wise paidi nevin was in top form in the first half with 3/4 points and not a wide between them i dont think.
    Mullane it must be said had an off day, didnt look right, but the man once we came back into it chipped in with two trademark johnny points. could waterford win with mullane not in form?
    Dean twomey very good in midfield these runs he goes on are very effective and today was no exception.
    Then the Bull, what can you say he's a class act through and through, quiet shockin how he never got fully utilized under davy when lesser players imo are getting games!
    Dillon didnt have a superb game either today maybe tried to much to let the ball go past him and his man and then go for it to try and maybe create a goal opening but the breaks just didnt come for him.
    The game swung once Madigan came on but I could feel it swinging at that stage anyway, the two goals imo flattered sars and DLS were'nt on the kinda form seen in the waterford championship.
    great great win and another munster final!

People are asking too much of him too soon. He is only 17.

Lost Sean Fleming to injury before half time. He was a huge loss as he was playing well. They did put him on for the last 12 minutes but he was not up to it. Was a gamble that did not pay off.
    Breckans lost a player before throw in,The No 10 Mikey keating didnt attend due to his partner going into labour a few hours before throw in,Now he was a big loss to Breckans.So i guess things even themselves out.

I saw Flemming going off and back on again,Clashmore put a sub on and took him off again,also one of the midfielders was subbed.The 2 minutes before halftime were crucial in Breckans victory.instead of going in 5 points down,they went in 3 down and all to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoozoo

Breckans lost a player before throw in,The No 10 Mikey keating didnt attend due to his partner going into labour a few hours before throw in,Now he was a big loss to Breckans.So i guess things even themselves out.

I saw Flemming going off and back on again,Clashmore put a sub on and took him off again,also one of the midfielders was subbed.The 2 minutes before halftime were crucial in Breckans victory.instead of going in 5 points down,they went in 3 down and all to play for.

The 2 points were killer before before HT. Well, they probably shouldn't have been. Lost midfield in the second half, they completely took over and the Breckans half backs started attacking which we found it hard to cope with. In fairness to them they kicked some excellent long range points from the 45 which really lifted them.

Sean went over on his ankle, it came at a bad time - he was cleaning up. Regardless of him coming back on and whether he was fit or not, we couldn't hit the full forward line in the last 20 mins for love nor money. Their extra man was sweeping up and covering good ground. 1 point in the 2nd half reflected this. Our (sub) keeper tore a quad a week ago and corner back had to kick the ball out. Despite getting good length, they always had an extra man out the field as a result and dominated the breaking ball.

Very stop start game, ref should had let it play more. Despite this, they were overall the better team and took scores better. We had 3 goal chances and took none, which won't work at this level. Very disappointed not to get to a munster final, which a Clashmore team hasn't got to since 1904, back when the Co. Senior winners made up the intercounty team.

Best of luck to Breckans in the Munster Final.

• Advertisement

zoozoo wrote: »
    The 2 points were killer before before HT. Well, they probably shouldn't have been. Lost midfield in the second half, they completely took over and the Breckans half backs started attacking which we found it hard to cope with. In fairness to them they kicked some excellent long range points from the 45 which really lifted them.

Sean went over on his ankle, it came at a bad time - he was cleaning up. Regardless of him coming back on and whether he was fit or not, we couldn't hit the full forward line in the last 20 mins for love nor money. Their extra man was sweeping up and covering good ground. 1 point in the 2nd half reflected this. Our (sub) keeper tore a quad a week ago and corner back had to kick the ball out. Despite getting good length, they always had an extra man out the field as a result and dominated the breaking ball.

Very stop start game, ref should had let it play more. Despite this, they were overall the better team and took scores better. We had 3 goal chances and took none, which won't work at this level. Very disappointed not to get to a munster final, which a Clashmore team hasn't got to since 1904, back when the Co. Senior winners made up the intercounty team.

Best of luck to Breckans in the Munster Final.

Did wonder why the keeper was not kicking out the ball as it did put pressure on the backs straight away, but you answered why.

What did you think of the score that leveled the game at 8 points each. The ref made a major mistake. Nagle clearly played the free to himself and then shot for goal about five or six yards in from where the free should be taken. The Clashmore players were trying to tell this to the players but he did not seem to want to know. Am i just been picky. Over the hour the best team won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoozoo

Did wonder why the keeper was not kicking out the ball as it did put pressure on the backs straight away, but you answered why.

What did you think of the score that leveled the game at 8 points each. The ref made a major mistake. Nagle clearly played the free to himself and then shot for goal about five or six yards in from where the free should be taken. The Clashmore players were trying to tell this to the players but he did not seem to want to know. Am i just been picky. Over the hour the best team won.
    Well, he blew Cillian for playing on and handpassing the ball when he obviously didn't hear the whistle minutes before that. It's the same thing. Both instances should have been retaken. He pretty much ruined the second half as a contest with over blowing the whistle, not saying he gave anyone an advantage out of it, but he was over picky. It often happens with Kerry referees outside their own county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

De La Salle vs Thurles Sars scheduled for Sunday week in Pairc ui Chaoimh at 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

People are asking too much of him too soon. He is only 17.

Ah i know, I didnt mean to sound like i expected the young fella to win the game single handidy. you could see with a bit more experience that there was the potential to blow his man away. He scored the winner. what more can you ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

O Riain wrote: »
    Ah i know, I didnt mean to sound like i expected the young fella to win the game single handidy. you could see with a bit more experience that there was the potential to blow his man away. He scored the winner. what more can you ask!

Delighted for DLS. True champions display. But one would have to ask why wasn't young Madigan on from the start? He was the difference when he came in there. He's only 18 and he's as a big as most inter-county hurlers. Superb talent good wristy hurler too and i hope to see him on from the start in the final. Also, well done to Jake Dillon. For a young lad of 17 to play 80 minutes of munster club senior hurling and go on to score the winning point is a remarkable achievement. Fair play young man. As I have said many timesbefore.. ''Future looks good for Waterford hurling''

Dr. Harty Cup Fixtures for Wednesday 17 November 2010

at Clonmel - Thurles CBS v Blackwater C.S.
    at Cahir - St. Flannan's Coll. Ennis v DLS Waterford
    at Ballygiblin - Our Lady's Templemore v Col. Chríost Rí Cork
    at Ballybrown - Charleville CBS v St. Caimin's C.S. Shannon
    at Charleville - Midleton CBS v Coláistí Chiarraí
    at Ballyduff Upper - Coláistí na nDéise v St. Colman's Coll. Fermoy

Tables
    Group One
    St Flannan’s 2 played 4 points
    Thurles CBS 2 Played 2 Points
    Blackwater CS 2 played 2 points
    De La Salle 2 played 0 points

Group Two
    Our Lady’s Templemore 2 played 4 Points
    St Caimins 2 played 2 points
    Colaiste Chriost Rí 2 Played 2 points
    Charleville CBS 2 Played 0 Points

Group Three
    Nenagh CBS 2 Played 4 Points
    Midleton CBS 1 Played 0 points
    Kerry Colleges 1 played 0 points

Group Four
    Ard Scoil Ris 2 played 4 points
    Colaiste na nDeise 1 played 0 points
    St Colman’s 1 played 0 points.

Ard Scoil Ris, Our Lady's - Templemore, Nenagh CBS and St. Flannan's have all booked their places in the knockout stages. Teams that finish second will join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hopefully Blackwater can beat Thurles and progress at their expense. Same with Colaiste na nDeise. (Are Col. na nDeise made up of players from schools around Dungarvan/West?) Suppose the best DLS can do is put up a good show against Flannan's.

Hopefully Blackwater can beat Thurles and progress at their expense. Same with Colaiste na nDeise. (Are Col. na nDeise made up of players from schools around Dungarvan/West?) Suppose the best DLS can do is put up a good show against Flannan's.

Colaiste na nDeise are Dungarvan CBS and St Augustines in Abbeyside. They used to have Lismore with them until they won the right to play on their own, and for a while Kilmacthomas and Ring were with them as well. Not sure about Colaiste Cathal Naofa or the Old Tech as was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Blackwater lost. Anyone have the Waterford Colleges result?

Orizio wrote: »
    Blackwater lost. Anyone have the Waterford Colleges result?

All 3 Waterford sides lost.

• Advertisement

Are De La Salle the only Waterford team through then Tom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think they finished with 0 points?

Thats entirely possible, haven't been paying attention. Just assumed they were going strong because they are in the Dean Ryan final.

They were the only one of the Waterford Colleges that could not have qualified for the next round going into the final round of games. Both Colaiste na nDeise and Blackwater had a chance but they needed to win. Blackwater only needed a draw.

Hard Luck to Stradbally & Ballydurn.

Is the De La Salle v Thurles game on the telefeis?

Is it in Pairc ui Caoimh or Pairc ui Rinn?

A big big ask for DLS but Hopefully they´ll do it, Best of Luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

De La Salle v Thurles is live on TG4 , throw in 2pm P Ui Chaoimh .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Pulled this from another site, good insightful read about our team for 2011:

EMERGING TALENT COULD MEAN SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN THE WATERFORD HURLING LINEOUT FOR 2011
    The system in operation in the GAA whereby counties tend to appoint high-profile coaches/managers for their senior teams for a 2-3 year period is problematical in many ways. One of these is the lack of developmental continuity as one manager works with a certain group of players for a couple of years and then walks away leaving it to his successor to pick up the pieces and repeat the process.

The situation with the Waterford hurlers for the coming year is particularly problematical. In a situation where a number of established players are in the veteran category (Ken and Eoin McGrath, Tony Browne, Eoin Murphy, Seamus and Declan Prendergast) and a lot of new talent is waiting in the wings, the time may now be opportune for initiating a major rebuilding phase. Clare bit the bullet this year and threw a number of their recent under-21 stars into the deep end of the championship, just as Cork did back in 1999 (with spectacular success).

The problem for Davy Fitzgerald is that he was given a single year extension to his managerial contract, which is worst possible thing the Waterford County Board could have done at this stage of the evolution of the county senior team. In this situation Davy is unlikely to opt for wholesale reconstruction which would probably rule out any form of league or championship success in the short term (i.e. the length of his current contract). Instead, he may seek to persevere for one more year with the current panel of players, with perhaps one or two new faces, depending on how things develop in the training camp over the coming months.

To give Davy credit, he has devoted much more attention to developing some depth in his squad than his own predecessor did. A wide range of players were given a decent chance to show their worth in this year’s Waterford Crystal and National League competitions, and a much more inclusive approach to squad training produced a situation where some observers have suggested that Waterford’s second team is now better than most intercounty first teams.

Davy’s reappointment has not been met with universal approval from within the squad, and there has been talk of several players dropping out for the coming year – not all of them in the veteran category. There has been a drip of information circulating about new players being added to the panel and winter programmes being issued, but nothing definite about the actual personnel pencilled in by Davy for the 2011 campaign. Assuming that all players (apart from Dan Shanahan) remain in the picture, then one can do worse on a wintry November evening than to muse about the possible make-up of the Waterford first 15 which will take the field against Limerick next June.

There has been some speculation about Clinton Hennessy retaining the goalkeeping position which he has made his own over the last five years. Like Galway, but unlike most other top hurling counties, Waterford have experienced major problems in finding top-class goalkeepers over the years. Hennessy’s return from the USA got Waterford out of a major crisis, and his tenure has been one of solid competency and a safe pair of hands. However, it has been noted that he rarely produces the blinding saves which are part of the repertoire of other keepers and can make a crucial difference in terms of ultimate championship success.

Hennessy now faces a challenge from no less than two players for whom producing regular breath-taking saves is just one component of a wide array of goalkeeping skills. These are Adrian Power, the current understudy, and Stephen O’Keeffe, the county’s minor goalkeeper in 2009. Given that relations between Power and Davy are reported not to be the best, it may be that we will see O’Keeffe being given his chance to establish himself should Davy opt for a changing of the guard in the coming year.

The fullback position has been an Achilles heel for Waterford since Seán Cullinane retired in 2002. Liam Lawlor made a reasonable fist of the job this year, but if Waterford are to make the ultimate breakthrough, reasonable isn’t good enough. Lawlor is a skillful and intelligent hurler, but top class full backs need to have some combination of physicality, pace and ability to win ball in the air, and Lawlor possesses none of these.

Earlier this year, it looked like Mark O’Brien was being groomed for the position, and his pace and positive approach initially impressed many, but his star waned following some less than convincing performances in the run-up to the championship. The failure to try Shane Fives out in the position remains a mystery. Fives was excellent at full back for the Waterford under-21 team which beat Tipperary and could well have done the same to eventual All-Ireland winners Clare in 2009. This year he was voted the best full back in the Fitzgibbon Cup competition. He did have injury problems in 2010, so perhaps his combination of physical presence, coolness and good skills will finally win him a decent try-out in the coming months.

At corner back, Noel Connors’s position is assured, but Eoin Murphy, who will be 33 next year, may come under some pressure, particularly from Aidan Kearney if he can shake off the injury and illness problems which have been plaguing him (along with, if reports are correct, less than amicable relations with Davy). Also in the picture is Jerome Maher, who has performed well whenever given a chance and has reportedly been a star performer in training. For 2011, then, we could see a fullback line of Connors, Fives and Kearney, with Lawlor, O’Brien and Maher as very useful backup.

One wonders if the Waterford halfback line could be subjected to major surgery in the coming year. The main factors here may not be inadequate performance of the players in possession, but the quality of the competition and the wider needs of the team. It may be strange to suggest a change for Brick Walsh, the current All-Star centre back, but there are many who feel that Walsh’s main strengths – his marvellous engine, fielding ability and ability to make things happen – are not best used in this position. With Dan Shanahan gone and Seamus Prendergast in decline, Waterford’s ability to win ball in the half forward line is a growing concern which Walsh could resolve.

The other side of this equation is the possible availability of a ready-made alternative to Walsh at No. 6. It is something of a mystery that Kevin Moran has appeared in virtually every position for Waterford except the position which many would regard as his best. Moran’s return to centre back has been one of the key ingredients in De La Salle’s successful club championship campaign in Waterford this year. He is much more comfortable facing the ball, and both reads the game and uses the ball well.

A second key factor in De La Salle’s success has been the showing of Stephen Daniels at left half back, in which position he won man of the match in the recent county final. Unfortunately, he too seems to have his problems with Davy Fitzgerald, which apparently caused him to drop off the county panel earlier this year. The current player in possession, Declan Prendergast, has good skills and mobility, but his lack of physicality (for a big man) and ability in the air have always left him short of the level of performance required at the very top level.

On the other wing, the legendary Tony Browne has continued to defy the years with a consistent level of performance. However, in the coming year we expect him to come under pressure from Philip Mahony, who starred for both the county minors and under 21s in 2009 and has been putting in some good performances for his club (Ballygunner) in 2010. Another possible contender could be Darragh Fives (Shane’s younger brother) who was absolutely brilliant at wing back for the county minors when they won the Munster title in 2009 and who continued to impress at centre back for this year’s team. Another current county minor, John Prendergast, made a big impression at wing back for Lismore in this year’s club championship and according to reports has received a call up from Davy. One should also mention Jamie Nagle, a skillful hurler who made some appearances at wing back for the county seniors in 2010.

We, could, therefore, see a completely new half back line of Mahony, Moran and Daniels taking the field for next year’s championship, with Browne, Prendergast, Nagle and possibly Fives and Prendergast providing more than adequate cover.

The one line where we envisage no change is midfield, where both Shane O’Sullivan and Richie Foley had excellent championship campaigns in 2010.

One of the big disappointments for Waterford this year was Maurice Shanahan’s failure to make a championship impact, especially in the light of his contributions for Lismore in the county championship. Again we hear of differences between him and Davy and it is to be hoped that these will be resolved, given the younger Shanahan’s enormous potential as a ball winner, a free earner and a scoring machine. A half forward line of Shanahan, Brick Walsh and Stephen Molumphy would give Waterford an excellent ball winning platform, with Molumphy’s wondrous ability to turn up where the action is providing extra manpower all over the midfield area.

This leaves us with John Mullane at right corner forward, Eoin Kelly at the edge of the square and, we expect, Brian O’Halloran in the left corner. Davy Fitzgerald’s selection of O’Halloran for the All-Ireland semi-final against Tipperary bordered on the irresponsible, especially when his half-baked game plan fell apart virtually from the throw-in. However, with a full year’s training under his belt, O’Halloran should certainly be ready for the fray in 2011, with his combination of pace, skill, ball-winning and scoring ability offering enormous possibilities. Indeed, assuming Stephen Molumphy spends much of this time operating as a third midfielder, O’Halloran’s ability to work up and down the left wing could be a particular asset.

If he continues on, Ken McGrath would still have something to offer, mainly as an alternative full forward. Unfortunately, Seamus Prendergast’s career appears to be in terminal decline while we do not see Eoin McGrath as having much further to offer either and Shane Walsh’s lack of pace is a major weakness at this level. Pace is not a problem for Tomás Ryan but his size is, and we would regard Shane Casey as a better long-term option. Meanwhile, a number of young forwards have been making an impression at club and under-age county level and we could see some of these being involved, including Brian and David O’Sullivan, Shane Walsh (Ballygunner) and the two Paudies, Mahony and Prendergast.

Obviously the proposed line-out envisaged here depends on form, fitness and, perhaps above all, availability. Should a significant number of the players identified here opt out due to differences with Davy Fitzgerald, this could raise major questions about the County Board’s priorities, which should be to ensure that the strongest possible team representing the best talent in the county takes the field in the 2011 championship. And, from what we have seen here, such a team would be a formidable outfit with genuine championship aspirations.

Good to see there are some strong options for next year although I hope players won't intentionally make themselves unavailable (ala Jack Kennedy) for having differences with Davy. I doubt there's any hope of Brick being moved from centre back but the form Moran is in at CB for DLS could open a few doors. Not even too sure about Kelly being involved, let alone at FF.
    Thoughts?

EMERGING TALENT COULD MEAN SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN THE WATERFORD HURLING LINEOUT FOR 2011
    The system in operation in the GAA whereby counties tend to appoint high-profile coaches/managers for their senior teams for a 2-3 year period is problematical in many ways. One of these is the lack of developmental continuity as one manager works with a certain group of players for a couple of years and then walks away leaving it to his successor to pick up the pieces and repeat the process.

The situation with the Waterford hurlers for the coming year is particularly problematical. In a situation where a number of established players are in the veteran category (Ken and Eoin McGrath, Tony Browne, Eoin Murphy, Seamus and Declan Prendergast) and a lot of new talent is waiting in the wings, the time may now be opportune for initiating a major rebuilding phase. Clare bit the bullet this year and threw a number of their recent under-21 stars into the deep end of the championship, just as Cork did back in 1999 (with spectacular success).

The problem for Davy Fitzgerald is that he was given a single year extension to his managerial contract, which is worst possible thing the Waterford County Board could have done at this stage of the evolution of the county senior team. In this situation Davy is unlikely to opt for wholesale reconstruction which would probably rule out any form of league or championship success in the short term (i.e. the length of his current contract). Instead, he may seek to persevere for one more year with the current panel of players, with perhaps one or two new faces, depending on how things develop in the training camp over the coming months.

To give Davy credit, he has devoted much more attention to developing some depth in his squad than his own predecessor did. A wide range of players were given a decent chance to show their worth in this year’s Waterford Crystal and National League competitions, and a much more inclusive approach to squad training produced a situation where some observers have suggested that Waterford’s second team is now better than most intercounty first teams.

Davy’s reappointment has not been met with universal approval from within the squad, and there has been talk of several players dropping out for the coming year – not all of them in the veteran category. There has been a drip of information circulating about new players being added to the panel and winter programmes being issued, but nothing definite about the actual personnel pencilled in by Davy for the 2011 campaign. Assuming that all players (apart from Dan Shanahan) remain in the picture, then one can do worse on a wintry November evening than to muse about the possible make-up of the Waterford first 15 which will take the field against Limerick next June.

There has been some speculation about Clinton Hennessy retaining the goalkeeping position which he has made his own over the last five years. Like Galway, but unlike most other top hurling counties, Waterford have experienced major problems in finding top-class goalkeepers over the years. Hennessy’s return from the USA got Waterford out of a major crisis, and his tenure has been one of solid competency and a safe pair of hands. However, it has been noted that he rarely produces the blinding saves which are part of the repertoire of other keepers and can make a crucial difference in terms of ultimate championship success.

Hennessy now faces a challenge from no less than two players for whom producing regular breath-taking saves is just one component of a wide array of goalkeeping skills. These are Adrian Power, the current understudy, and Stephen O’Keeffe, the county’s minor goalkeeper in 2009. Given that relations between Power and Davy are reported not to be the best, it may be that we will see O’Keeffe being given his chance to establish himself should Davy opt for a changing of the guard in the coming year.

The fullback position has been an Achilles heel for Waterford since Seán Cullinane retired in 2002. Liam Lawlor made a reasonable fist of the job this year, but if Waterford are to make the ultimate breakthrough, reasonable isn’t good enough. Lawlor is a skillful and intelligent hurler, but top class full backs need to have some combination of physicality, pace and ability to win ball in the air, and Lawlor possesses none of these.

Earlier this year, it looked like Mark O’Brien was being groomed for the position, and his pace and positive approach initially impressed many, but his star waned following some less than convincing performances in the run-up to the championship. The failure to try Shane Fives out in the position remains a mystery. Fives was excellent at full back for the Waterford under-21 team which beat Tipperary and could well have done the same to eventual All-Ireland winners Clare in 2009. This year he was voted the best full back in the Fitzgibbon Cup competition. He did have injury problems in 2010, so perhaps his combination of physical presence, coolness and good skills will finally win him a decent try-out in the coming months.

At corner back, Noel Connors’s position is assured, but Eoin Murphy, who will be 33 next year, may come under some pressure, particularly from Aidan Kearney if he can shake off the injury and illness problems which have been plaguing him (along with, if reports are correct, less than amicable relations with Davy). Also in the picture is Jerome Maher, who has performed well whenever given a chance and has reportedly been a star performer in training. For 2011, then, we could see a fullback line of Connors, Fives and Kearney, with Lawlor, O’Brien and Maher as very useful backup.

One wonders if the Waterford halfback line could be subjected to major surgery in the coming year. The main factors here may not be inadequate performance of the players in possession, but the quality of the competition and the wider needs of the team. It may be strange to suggest a change for Brick Walsh, the current All-Star centre back, but there are many who feel that Walsh’s main strengths – his marvellous engine, fielding ability and ability to make things happen – are not best used in this position. With Dan Shanahan gone and Seamus Prendergast in decline, Waterford’s ability to win ball in the half forward line is a growing concern which Walsh could resolve.

The other side of this equation is the possible availability of a ready-made alternative to Walsh at No. 6. It is something of a mystery that Kevin Moran has appeared in virtually every position for Waterford except the position which many would regard as his best. Moran’s return to centre back has been one of the key ingredients in De La Salle’s successful club championship campaign in Waterford this year. He is much more comfortable facing the ball, and both reads the game and uses the ball well.

A second key factor in De La Salle’s success has been the showing of Stephen Daniels at left half back, in which position he won man of the match in the recent county final. Unfortunately, he too seems to have his problems with Davy Fitzgerald, which apparently caused him to drop off the county panel earlier this year. The current player in possession, Declan Prendergast, has good skills and mobility, but his lack of physicality (for a big man) and ability in the air have always left him short of the level of performance required at the very top level.

On the other wing, the legendary Tony Browne has continued to defy the years with a consistent level of performance. However, in the coming year we expect him to come under pressure from Philip Mahony, who starred for both the county minors and under 21s in 2009 and has been putting in some good performances for his club (Ballygunner) in 2010. Another possible contender could be Darragh Fives (Shane’s younger brother) who was absolutely brilliant at wing back for the county minors when they won the Munster title in 2009 and who continued to impress at centre back for this year’s team. Another current county minor, John Prendergast, made a big impression at wing back for Lismore in this year’s club championship and according to reports has received a call up from Davy. One should also mention Jamie Nagle, a skillful hurler who made some appearances at wing back for the county seniors in 2010.

We, could, therefore, see a completely new half back line of Mahony, Moran and Daniels taking the field for next year’s championship, with Browne, Prendergast, Nagle and possibly Fives and Prendergast providing more than adequate cover.

The one line where we envisage no change is midfield, where both Shane O’Sullivan and Richie Foley had excellent championship campaigns in 2010.

One of the big disappointments for Waterford this year was Maurice Shanahan’s failure to make a championship impact, especially in the light of his contributions for Lismore in the county championship. Again we hear of differences between him and Davy and it is to be hoped that these will be resolved, given the younger Shanahan’s enormous potential as a ball winner, a free earner and a scoring machine. A half forward line of Shanahan, Brick Walsh and Stephen Molumphy would give Waterford an excellent ball winning platform, with Molumphy’s wondrous ability to turn up where the action is providing extra manpower all over the midfield area.

This leaves us with John Mullane at right corner forward, Eoin Kelly at the edge of the square and, we expect, Brian O’Halloran in the left corner. Davy Fitzgerald’s selection of O’Halloran for the All-Ireland semi-final against Tipperary bordered on the irresponsible, especially when his half-baked game plan fell apart virtually from the throw-in. However, with a full year’s training under his belt, O’Halloran should certainly be ready for the fray in 2011, with his combination of pace, skill, ball-winning and scoring ability offering enormous possibilities. Indeed, assuming Stephen Molumphy spends much of this time operating as a third midfielder, O’Halloran’s ability to work up and down the left wing could be a particular asset.

If he continues on, Ken McGrath would still have something to offer, mainly as an alternative full forward. Unfortunately, Seamus Prendergast’s career appears to be in terminal decline while we do not see Eoin McGrath as having much further to offer either and Shane Walsh’s lack of pace is a major weakness at this level. Pace is not a problem for Tomás Ryan but his size is, and we would regard Shane Casey as a better long-term option. Meanwhile, a number of young forwards have been making an impression at club and under-age county level and we could see some of these being involved, including Brian and David O’Sullivan, Shane Walsh (Ballygunner) and the two Paudies, Mahony and Prendergast.

Obviously the proposed line-out envisaged here depends on form, fitness and, perhaps above all, availability. Should a significant number of the players identified here opt out due to differences with Davy Fitzgerald, this could raise major questions about the County Board’s priorities, which should be to ensure that the strongest possible team representing the best talent in the county takes the field in the 2011 championship. And, from what we have seen here, such a team would be a formidable outfit with genuine championship aspirations.

Good to see there are some strong options for next year although I hope players won't intentionally make themselves unavailable (ala Jack Kennedy) for having differences with Davy. I doubt there's any hope of Brick being moved from centre back but the form Moran is in at CB for DLS could open a few doors. Not even too sure about Kelly being involved, let alone at FF.
    Thoughts?

Good piece, but will players have to worry about whether Davy is around or not in 2011 if we are to believe all we hear. Even a man of Davy's stature could not manage two major jobs or could he. Your man in Mayo (Maughan) is it had to get out when he found he was not able to juggle both. Of course Davy firstly would have to be on the ballot paper and then elected.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4398:all-star-cast-for-labour&catid=41:politics&Itemid=60

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

De La Salle have a better chance of winning the All-Ireland club that Davy has of making the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Thoughts?

Firstly, great article, really enjoyed the read. Secondly, thank God there is another person who takes interest of the up and coming talent!

Starting with the goal again you make complete sense. Clinton doesn't pull off those classic saves that give a team a sense of immortality to conceding goals where you have SOK on the other hand lives for those kind of saves. I'd certainly stick him in there next year.

I would however disagree with the full back line. Connors is a certainty. But at FB I think Lawlor deserves another shot. FB is a problem but the only player that fits your brieff of waht a good FB is is Eoin Cadogan. But sadly there's only one Cadogan and no FB is on his level. In the other corner I would thoroughly disagree with playing Ringo there. He's a wing back. My opinion is Eoin Murphy has one year left in him so let's give him another shot.

As for your half-back line, I couldn't agree more. Mahony/Moran/Daniels is the way forward! Tony is over the hill he might offer something on the sideline but as a hurler his time is up. Mahony is the brightest prospect the county has had since Browne and it's about time he's given his chance. Moran, that point against Sars says enough. And Daniels, another successful Harty winner along with Connors and Mahony has proven at club level he's got what it takes.

Now midfield, a mouth watering combination of Brick and Molumphy. Without doubt the two best midfielders in the country so why not play them ther? For me Foley isn't up to it. But with Brick and Molumphy in the middle we have Brick's fielding abilities fully utilised and Molumphy's abilities over the breaking ball equally being used to it's full extent. So it's Brick and Molumphy for me.

The half forward line would consist of Shane O'Sullivan on one wing, young Shannahan on the other wing, with Ken in the middle. The positional switch of Molumphy and O'Sullivan makes complete sense. Molumphy's engine is jaw-dropping however his scoring attributes are non-existant. With O'Sullivan on the wing, the calibre of a scoring forward is added. Along with that Sully has a great ball winning ability in the air, something we lacked in the half forward line last year. Maurice on the other wing has proven time and time again he's a top class hurler with club Lismore. His problem has been converting that form on the inter-county stage. That for me is purely down to confidence. By employing him to free taker IMO will resolve the confidence problem. Now, Ken at 11 is debatable I'm aware of that. But we're forgetting this man is still one of the best score takers as shown in the AI semi. At 11 he will be able to pick off those few scores we are in desperate need of in the HF line. Even he doesn't last the full 70, Ken has alot to offer this team.

FF line picks itself I suppose. Mullane in the corner Kelly on the edge of the square and young Halloran in the other corner. We know what Kelly and JM are capable of. So as for Halloran? Huge ability. Not the biggest but as seen in the minor AI semi against Galway he is a mighty ball winner in the air, can pick off the scores as shown in Munster final and has that bit of fearlessness that any young hurler would have.

With plenty of emerging talent waiting in the wings, there needs to be as many youngsters as possible blooded into the side this year. Stephen O'Keefe, Noel Connors, Philip Mahony, Steven Daniels, Maurice Shannahan and Brian O'Halloran will backbone this team in the coming years and it will be their responsibility to nurture the younger upcoming talent such as Jake Dillon, Eoin Madigan, Gavin O'Brien, Paidi Pendergast, Paidi Mahony, Darragh Fives etc..

Thoughts??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement