Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Daysha wrote: »
    Probably with a proxy. I was in the same boat for most of last year and I think that's probably your best bet. You can wreck your head with dodgy stream links or crappy skype signal, but in the end we just paid $10 for a month of a proxy. Got to watch it on perfect rte.ie quality and had it for the rest of the month The Sunday Game and other RTE shows too.

I went doing a bit of searching and found this: http://expatshield.com/
    But i think it only for UK though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

STIG83 wrote: »
    Do you know how your mate got around to make rte.ie show the game over there?

I honestly dont know. it worked perfectly on rte.ie live was great quality aswell. Watched the Macedonia v Ireland soccer game aswell. Mind you he is a bit of a whizzkid on all that. I was under impression its only the highlights work in ROI only but live streaming is for worldwide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

It some bull it wont work outside of Ireland!! :mad:
    Hopefully i find a way around it.

Lots of BBC or ITV programmes cant be picked up over here on the net for what-ever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

One thing is for sure: Kilkenny's win over Dublin has nipped any thought of 'shure it wouldn't be so bad to go through the back door' in the bud. Win Sunday, we're in the opposite half of the draw to Kilkenny and Tipperary (cue Antrim, Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick fans using this comment as 'motivation' :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

deiseach wrote: »
    One thing is for sure: Kilkenny's win over Dublin has nipped any thought of 'shure it wouldn't be so bad to go through the back door' in the bud. Win Sunday, we're in the opposite half of the draw to Kilkenny and Tipperary (cue Antrim, Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick fans using this comment as 'motivation' :rolleyes:)

Agreed, its not so much that KK won but the manner in which they won and the way the qualifier draw worked out it now means that the munster final is an absolute must win game, and the winners will have a serious advantage going forward.

• Advertisement

Agreed, its not so much that KK won but the manner in which they won and the way the qualifier draw worked out it now means that the munster final is an absolute must win game, and the winners will have a serious advantage going forward.

Whether kilkenny won or lost yesterday, next weeks Munster Final should be seen as a must win from the start. No county should be looking or even thinking about the back door. The shortest way to anything or any place is in a straight line.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Whether kilkenny won or lost yesterday, next weeks Munster Final should be seen as a must win from the start. No county should be looking or even thinking about the back door. The shortest way to anything or any place is in a straight line.

All well and good in theory Tom, but as long as there is a safety net there, the Munster Final will not have the same significance as it once did, mores the pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Counihans in Cork before the game for pints ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If Tipp get early goals, we'll be in big trouble. We need a good start, even keep it tight for the first 15-20mins. The thing is that over the 70mins, you just have to fancy Tipp to bag 2, 3 or maybe even 4 goals. My heart is going to be in my mouth every time a ball comes down on that fullback line and you just know Tipp will be going for the jugular early on to try put us away before we can get any sort of foothold in the game. No doubt we'll probably get a goal or two ourselves but it'll be a case of preventing Tipp from doing the damage at the other end.
    I do fear a hammering because Tipp are well capable of dishing it out but the one thing that gives me some hope is that as awful as we were last August against the same opposition, we still only lost by 7pts-hardly a hammering.

Not much of a mention of the minors, I actually can't wait for that game and am nearly looking forward to that more than the senior game! :pac:
    Seriously though, if we came away with any silverware from Leeside Sunday evening-senior or minor, I'd be happy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Find an Irish proxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Anyone know a website I can watch the game online on Sunday as I'll be in the states? It will be on at 8am for me.

www.overplay.net is what you need $10 per month and you can watch geographically locked streams. You basically run the program and pick what you country "you are in" and away you go. Am in Toronto and have watched rte's coverage these last 2 weekends but TV3's effort at streaming yesterday was sh!te and I turned it off.

RTE though have it sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Ticket prices as follows:-

Covered €35

Uncovered €30

Terrace €20

Family Adult Covered €35 – Juveniles €5

Family Adult UnCovered €30 – Juveniles €5

in fairness its some rip off prices

Hslaw wrote: »
    Ticket prices as follows:-

Covered €35

Uncovered €30

Terrace €20

Family Adult Covered €35 – Juveniles €5

Family Adult UnCovered €30 – Juveniles €5

in fairness its some rip off prices

Two Munster Finals for €20 :confused: Best value I'v seen in along time, cant think of any better value sporting eventwise and it would certainly cost more than €20 to spend the same 3 1/2 hrs plus in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

im just stating my opinion is all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

some people would give out about paying 1 or 2 euro for a programme at a club game.

Us Irish people give out about everything

Two Munster Finals for €20 :confused: Best value I'v seen in along time, cant think of any better value sporting eventwise and it would certainly cost more than €20 to spend the same 3 1/2 hrs plus in a pub.

You are right about the ticket price (€20 for the terrace) and spending the same time as the two matches in a pub and end up spending more, but the tickets are still priced in the high side. Add in the cost of getting to and from the game, feeding yourself for a day, and if you are a farmer for example, the cost of paying someone to milk your cows or what ever and it is a very expensive day.

Staying at home watching the senior final on the television, listening to the minor game on the radio, maybe listening to both on the radio is by far the cheapest way out of it.

When the Munster Council or any of the other provincial councils and the central council begin to notice that people are staying away from the games because of the costs of the day, they might start to reduce their prices. They are putting spin on the prices they charge now saying that clubs etc benefit, but sometimes changes have to be made and i am sure that most county boards and clubs will accept it if there is a major drop off in grants made available to them because of lower ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

And you're only getting one final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

You are right about the ticket price (€20 for the terrace) and spending the same time as the two matches in a pub and end up spending more, but the tickets are still priced in the high side. Add in the cost of getting to and from the game, feeding yourself for a day, and if you are a farmer for example, the cost of paying someone to milk your cows or what ever and it is a very expensive day.

In fairness it's not the job of the GAA to decide how much money you spend outside of the time you spend in the stadium. If you want cheap food, bring a packed lunch. If you want cheap petrol, carpool with a few friends. For example when soccer clubs play away games in the Champions League the club aren't going to reduce the ticket prices because fans have to pay for flights.

€20 for a terrace in the Munster final is amazing value for money, and even €30 to sit down for the entire duration is perfectly acceptable. If Waterford reach an All-Ireland final and a fan goes to the game, he could potentially see all his counties games leading up to the final for the same cost as ONE Premier League match. And the Premier League fan still has 37 games to go, including travel up and down the country for half of them.

And for those that say it's too expensive for a family, well a €5 ticket for anyone under 16 in the second biggest hurling match of the year is as good an offer you'll see anywhere in sport.

Daysha wrote: »
    In fairness it's not the job of the GAA to decide how much money you spend outside of the time you spend in the stadium. If you want cheap food, bring a packed lunch. If you want cheap petrol, carpool with a few friends. For example when soccer clubs play away games in the Champions League the club aren't going to reduce the ticket prices because fans have to pay for flights.

€20 for a terrace in the Munster final is amazing value for money, and even €30 to sit down for the entire duration is perfectly acceptable. If Waterford reach an All-Ireland final and a fan goes to the game, he could potentially see all his counties games leading up to the final for the same cost as ONE Premier League match. And the Premier League fan still has 37 games to go, including travel up and down the country for half of them.

And for those that say it's too expensive for a family, well a €5 ticket for anyone under 16 in the second biggest hurling match of the year is as good an offer you'll see anywhere in sport.

I think you mis understand what i am saying. I know the GAA cant decide what people spend on a day at a match. I know the cost of grub, petrol etc has nothing to do with the G.A.A.

My point is that there is added costs to a day out, and the G.A.A. will have to act if it wants to keep people going to its events. They could help people now, the people that supported them in the past by cutting the admission prices, right across the boards big time. These added costs are going to keep people away in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I bought two terrace tickets for 30euro last night. The tickets are marked 15euro. Check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, what do ye reckon? Head down to Cork and buy tickets on the day (maybe get stand tickets if we're early enough and they come back from the clubs), or else just buy Blackrock terrace tickets now off tickets.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Meh, I wouldn't say it'll matter really, get them beforehand or on the day it's all the one I'd say. They're on sale tomorrow in Walsh park as far as I know and most likely in plenty of other locations up and down the county.
    Hope a big Waterford crowd turns up, would be great for a packed Blackrock end rockin' before throw-in with plenty of big flags and beach balls like a few years ago! Wonder will Wellboy and his disciples have the big Waterford jersey, I hope so as it adds to the atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Does not work outside Ireland.

Go to the setanta website.it was possible to pre order the match there for $20 and u get the rte commentary. Come to think of it not so sure canning is a selling point !

Staying at home watching the senior final on the television, listening to the minor game on the radio, maybe listening to both on the radio is by far the cheapest way out of it.

When the Munster Council or any of the other provincial councils and the central council begin to notice that people are staying away from the games because of the costs of the day, they might start to reduce their prices. They are putting spin on the prices they charge now saying that clubs etc benefit, but sometimes changes have to be made and i am sure that most county boards and clubs will accept it if there is a major drop off in grants made available to them because of lower ticket prices.

Yes I fully accept its a very expensive day, but my point is when someone claims it is a rip off I would assume they would back it up by illustrating a similar event that offers better value for money, and I cant think of one tbh, Munster final appearances dont grow on trees.

And Deisach, I am a Hurling fan, so I will be getting two Munster Finals, not one ;) The only conondrum in the minor is who to shout for whoever wins it will be like watching the mother in law drive off a cliff in my new car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Cake Man wrote: »
    Hope a big Waterford crowd turns up, would be great for a packed Blackrock end rockin' before throw-in with plenty of big flags and beach balls like a few years ago! Wonder will Wellboy and his disciples have the big Waterford jersey, I hope so as it adds to the atmosphere!

Unlikely. The days of us packing a terrace are well gone. Remember the great days against Tipp in PUC in 02 and 04'?

Anyways:
    5 Motivational factors for Waterford on Sunday

1. Weve never won successive Munster titles

2. A win is a direct route to an AI semi final

3. Lose and we play either Cork or Galway in the quarters (either of who will be on a winning roll at this stage, we'll be on the back of a defeat) and KK in the semis should we progress. Win and were on opposite side of draw to Tipp and KK in the semi.

4. Its Tipp. & their AI champions (remember 02') Be lovely to knock them off their cocky perch again

5. No one really gives us a chance

Bottom line is. Winning is everything this Sunday... back door shouldn't even be contemplated at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

Complaining about the prices of GAA tickets really gets on my wick. I think they generally represent very good value for money. Two Munster finals to look forward to on Sunday, 130 minutes of top class action (hopefully). I mean, if we were to do a poll here, how much exactly are people prepared to pay for a ticket to a big GAA match? €5?

The GAA have got it wrong on occasion, particularly uniform pricing in the leagues when the top games are the same price as the Division 4 football shockers. But generally they get it right, and anyone who says otherwise need only look at an almost full house down in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

The footballers price to win in London is getting bigger daily ( was odds on - now 6/4 ),
    could throwing a few quid on them to win on Saturday be a good way to get some spends for Sunday ?

tatoo wrote: »
    The footballers price to win in London is getting bigger daily ( was odds on - now 6/4 ),
    could throwing a few quid on them to win on Saturday be a good way to get some spends for Sunday ?

The only reason its getting bigger is all the shrewdies have gobbled up the 5/4 that was available on London, Id stay well clear mate, that London team is quite decent and home advantage is massive to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The only reason its getting bigger is all the shrewdies have gobbled up the 5/4 that was available on London, Id stay well clear mate, that London team is quite decent and home advantage is massive to them.

I dunno, I think Waterford could win this one. If it was in Walsh Park I'd be very confident in them. I know London weree unlucky against Mayo and beat Fermanagh, but I have no doubt that Waterford would also beat Fermanagh. London were on such a high after their last victory and god knows they probably did enough celebrating. Their also favourites for this one, which brings it's own pressures. There is a sure chance they might underestimate Waterford. I don't think the lads will underestimate them having seen what has happened this year already, and also after the experience of 2009, in fact they should be quite motivated. Not a bad Waterford team who were very unlucky to be relegated from division 3 considering they beat both Tipp and Limerick. I'm backing them to win, not with money, but that's because I don't bet.

• Advertisement

tatoo wrote: »

Always worth a gamble when the bookies are putting them down. Tommy Pender and Shane Briggs are two big losses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement