Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Daysha wrote: »
    I've been going on about this a lot on the twitter machine, but the similarities between 2009 and 2011 are getting more and more bizarre.

The Munster championship was match-for-match the same, Kilkenny played Dublin in the Leinster final, the 1st set of qualifiers saw Cork vs Offaly, Galway vs Clare and Limerick vs Wexford, the next set saw Galway vs Cork and Limerick vs a weakish side, and the QFs will possibly be Dublin vs Limerick and Waterford vs winners of Cork/Galway, even though I hope I'm wrong with that last one.

Very strange altogether.

And some people told me a while back that the G.A.A. does not fix a draw. Very coindidental the amount of times teams play each other if the draws are not fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deise Tom wrote: »
    And some people told me a while back that the G.A.A. does not fix a draw. Very coindidental the amount of times teams play each other if the draws are not fixed.

Woah there. I said it was strange because the odds of this happening must have been very high. But GAA fixing the draw? Not a hope in hell.

Anyway this is a Waterford thread after all, so it should be noted what a huge difference it'll make if we manage to win next weekend. There'll still be a quarter final draw but it guarantees both Tipp and Kilkenny on the opposite side, and I'd fancy our chances against whoever we'd get in the semis then.

Woah there. I said it was strange because the odds of this happening must have been very high. But GAA fixing the draw? Not a hope in hell.

Anyway this is a Waterford thread after all, so it should be noted what a huge difference it'll make if we manage to win next weekend. There'll still be a quarter final draw but it guarantees both Tipp and Kilkenny on the opposite side, and I'd fancy our chances against whoever we'd get in the semis then.

loosing next Sunday is not even worth thinking about, as it will mean a tough quarter final, more than likely Cork or Galway knowing Waterford's luck and then Kilkenny in the semi final if Waterford were to come through the quarter final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why would they fix the draw to be that particular way though? These conspiracy theories are ridiculous. The fact that the provincial winners are kept apart in the semis, the fact that you can't have repeat fixtures, the fact that 9 times out af ten a game against Antrim will mean a win and the fact that you only have a handful of possible teams who coud still reach this stage of the championship anyway mean games repeating over the years is inevitable.

Take the tinfoil helmet off tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lads its gonna be my first time in Pairc Ui Caoimh Sunday..
    Is it really as bad as people say it is? :/
    Like obvs not every stadium can be as nice as Thurles but is the stand that squashed? And the under stadium really cramped coming out?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why would they fix the draw to be that particular way though? These conspiracy theories are ridiculous. The fact that the provincial winners are kept apart in the semis, the fact that you can't have repeat fixtures, the fact that 9 times out af ten a game against Antrim will mean a win and the fact that you only have a handful of possible teams who coud still reach this stage of the championship anyway mean games repeating over the years is inevitable.

Take the tinfoil helmet off tbh.

Agree that with 12 or 13 teams only taking part in the Liam McCarthy competition that there is the liklehood that there will be one or two repeat draws every so often, but Tipp V Cork in the last few years now in the first round of the Munster Championship (how many times did they meet in the first round when the championship was straight knockout), guaranteeing the Munster Council what should be a bumper opening game to the championship, prior to this for a few years Clare and Tipp were draw together in the first round a few years running, and as has been pointed out already the way things are working out in 2011 is very like 2009, You cant but wonder about the draw.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Like obvs not every stadium can be as nice as Thurles but is the stand that squashed? And the under stadium really cramped coming out?

Have not been there with a few years now, but it used to be fairly poor to be honest. Before they put the plastic seats into the uncovered stand the space between the rows was fairly tight, I can only imagine now with the new seats replacing the concrete benchs what it is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Under 21 Football County Final Result from Today,

Rathgormack 1-12 Dungarvan 1-10.

Dungarvan lead at the break 1-8 to 1-5 and will be kicking themselves that they lost the game. They had several chances to win the game.

It was an enjoyable game, with a few good players on either side. Full Marks as well to referee Dessie O'Leary who had a very good game.

Heard on WLR it was a titanic battle. Any stand out performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Was there for the 21s last year and the intermediates the year before, twas bad now. Apparently though they've cut the backs off the seats in the uncovered to provide more leg room, but it means your gonna have someones legs sticking into your back quite possibly. It reminds me of the Kop in terms of the lack of leg room. Under the stand is absolutely horrible as well. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, it is what it is and it won't spoil the atmosphere, the prospect of losing again might though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gradster1

I have third hand info that brick will start at full back and jerome maher is in line for his championship debut if Connors is not fit.

• Advertisement

Gradster1 wrote: »
    I have third hand info that brick will start at full back and jerome maher is in line for his championship debut if Connors is not fit.

You'd be tempted to stay at home! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Agree that with 12 or 13 teams only taking part in the Liam McCarthy competition that there is the liklehood that there will be one or two repeat draws every so often, but Tipp V Cork in the last few years now in the first round of the Munster Championship (how many times did they meet in the first round when the championship was straight knockout), guaranteeing the Munster Council what should be a bumper opening game to the championship, prior to this for a few years Clare and Tipp were draw together in the first round a few years running, and as has been pointed out already the way things are working out in 2011 is very like 2009, You cant but wonder about the draw.

In terms of Tipp/Cork you're picking 2 teams from 5, hardly a long shot. You aften had Kerry invloved as well back in the day which lessens the odds of a Cork/Kerry pairing.

Is is always an open draw? Was it always? Lets get the facts straight before we conclude that its all just a big conspiracy.

Was there for the 21s last year and the intermediates the year before, twas bad now. Apparently though they've cut the backs off the seats in the uncovered to provide more leg room, but it means your gonna have someones legs sticking into your back quite possibly. It reminds me of the Kop in terms of the lack of leg room. Under the stand is absolutely horrible as well. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, it is what it is and it won't spoil the atmosphere, the prospect of losing again might though.

I dont suppose the covered stand is any different and I wont have some persons leg up my arse there? :pac:

And yea I think Ill base my opinion of the under stadium on if we win or not.. Lose - Just want to get out there quickly
    Win - Loving every minute of the squash coz we won and being all happy hearing people cheer and shout! :P

I dont suppose the covered stand is any different and I wont have some persons leg up my arse there? :pac:

And yea I think Ill base my opinion of the under stadium on if we win or not.. Lose - Just want to get out there quickly
    Win - Loving every minute of the squash coz we won and being all happy hearing people cheer and shout! :P

In summary...we better f*ckin win! :L

And if we won as Daysha said on twitter, the likelihood is we'd be playing Dublin or Limerick in the semi!!

Buzzin for Sunday now lads :D

And if we won as Daysha said on twitter, the likelihood is we'd be playing Dublin or Limerick in the semi!!

Don't want to get too off-topic here so I've posted a full list of permutations over in the qualifier draw thread. You can see there how it would pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Don't want to get too off-topic here so I've posted a full list of permutations over in the qualifier draw thread. You can see there how it would pan out.

Just read that. Fair play for working it all out.

It really isn't overstating it to say that a win on Sunday would give us a great shot at a final while a loss would make it extremely difficult.

But will we

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Personally I don't think we'll win on Sunday. I think that our half forward line will be wiped out by Tipp, with the resulting possession being reigned into their potent full forward line/our shaky full back line.

On the other hand, Tipp didn't set the world alight against Clare, who showed how limited they are against Galway on Saturday.

Heart says Waterford, head says Tipp.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Personally I don't think we'll win on Sunday. I think that our half forward line will be wiped out by Tipp, with the resulting possession being reigned into their potent full forward line/our shaky full back line.

On the other hand, Tipp didn't set the world alight against Clare, who showed how limited they are against Galway on Saturday.

Am sure a lot of people are this way, lets hope a lot of heads are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone know a website I can watch the game online on Sunday as I'll be in the states? It will be on at 8am for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone know a website I can watch the game online on Sunday as I'll be in the states? It will be on at 8am for me.

rte.ie

rte.ie

Will it be shown though? I thought you can't watch anything outside of Ireland on that?

hardybuck wrote: »

We need a good start to have a chance. We need to tear into it from the off, let them know their in a game. Clare ran at Tipp in the early stages and we need to look at doing the same. If we can stay in touch up until the early stages of the second half we'll have a decent chance. The one thing that has always been evident since Davy Fitz took over is that we finish games strongly. If were in it with ten minutes to go Id give us a great chance.
    If we concede an early goal or two I think were screwed. Tipp forwards are very sharp and take their goal chances when they get them and that is normally the difference between them and their opponents. I dont know what sort of plan Davy has up his sleeve or whos is to play where but the its not conceding goals is the key. If it means taking Brick out of centre back I say so be it.

Will it be shown though? I thought you can't watch anything outside of Ireland on that?

Yea I was over in the States a couple weeks back watched all the GAA live on the Saturday and Sunday on rte.ie. Should work although it was my buddy who lives there had it on so mabe he knows a trick or 2 but seemed to be fine.

But will we

:rolleyes: Sure if I knew that...

rte.ie

Does not work outside Ireland.

Does not work outside Ireland.

It some bull it wont work outside of Ireland!! :mad:
    Hopefully i find a way around it.

Yea I was over in the States a couple weeks back watched all the GAA live on the Saturday and Sunday on rte.ie. Should work although it was my buddy who lives there had it on so mabe he knows a trick or 2 but seemed to be fine.

Do you know how your mate got around to make rte.ie show the game over there?

• Advertisement

Do you know how your mate got around to make rte.ie show the game over there?

Probably with a proxy. I was in the same boat for most of last year and I think that's probably your best bet. You can wreck your head with dodgy stream links or crappy skype signal, but in the end we just paid $10 for a month of a proxy. Got to watch it on perfect rte.ie quality and had it for the rest of the month The Sunday Game and other RTE shows too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement