Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Pat Spillane said he'd take any money on the bet that London would lose. Doesn't give Waterford any chance. Have been trying ta get hold of his number all week! :D

Waterford will be well aware of London's threat. The fact their being written off will surely be serious motivation and they are certainly not as bad a team as everyone thinks, the day against Cork they were just playing an outstanding team and also the wind was taken out of their sails when that long ball dropped into the goal, that kinda thing would always knock the stuffing out of the underdog.

I think they'll win anyway provided they have their full team, and that would be a massive two fingers up to Pat Spillane, Joe Brolly and anybody else who has the neck to question the commitment of the players and ability, which they do have.

Waterford have every chance of winning. I mean its still only London we are division 3 this year they are division 4. True they are stronger than other years and it not easy to go over there but hopefully we can go with the belief to win. Would be a great start to a great weekend in Waterford GAA if we could win our first ever football qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What's the best Waterford footballers have ever done? Have they ever won a Munster title?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's the best Waterford footballers have ever done? Have they ever won a Munster title?

Lost to Dublin in All Ireland Final 2-8 to 0-4.
    17 aside back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Munster Finals
    Lost the 1891 Final V Cork
    Lost the 1896 Final V Limerick
    won the 1998 final V Cork
    Lost the 1904 final V Kerry
    Lost 1908 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1911 Final V Cork
    Lost 1940 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1946 Final V Kerry
    Lost 1957 Final V Cork
    Lost 1960 Final V Kerry

All-Ireland Finals
    Lost 1898 Fnal V Dublin in Tipperary Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Got an email from the Season Ticket office, tickets for the Munster Final will be in section C of covered stand. A far cry from the promised centre of the pitch tickets.

Strongly considering not renewing the season ticket for next year, had it since they launched 3 years ago but the service has gotten steadily worse each season :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the best success would have been at U21 level. They reached 3 U21 Munster finals in the 1990's, and three in the noughties.

They won in 2006, beating a very strong Kerry team which included Gooch Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan, Seamus Scanlon, Declan Quill, Brian Sheehan, I think Brosnan was playing as well. A lot of the Kerry team went on to become legends of the game, a lot of the Waterford team never lined out with the seniors even.

I can remember Justin McCarthy at the time was supposed to have tried to force lads not to tog out etc and to concentrate on hurling. Shame to waste a lot of good players over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

KevIRL wrote: »
    Got an email from the Season Ticket office, tickets for the Munster Final will be in section C of covered stand. A far cry from the promised centre of the pitch tickets.

Strongly considering not renewing the season ticket for next year, had it since they launched 3 years ago but the service has gotten steadily worse each season :mad:

Such an outrage....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭deise man

KevIRL wrote: »

Dead right. And people going to their first match of the year will probably end up in the centre of the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the best success would have been at U21 level. They reached 3 U21 Munster finals in the 1990's, and three in the noughties.

They won in 2006, beating a very strong Kerry team which included Gooch Cooper, Declan O'Sullivan, Seamus Scanlon, Declan Quill, Brian Sheehan, I think Brosnan was playing as well. A lot of the Kerry team went on to become legends of the game, a lot of the Waterford team never lined out with the seniors even.

I can remember Justin McCarthy at the time was supposed to have tried to force lads not to tog out etc and to concentrate on hurling. Shame to waste a lot of good players over the last few years.

2003. Think Donaghy was playing. Stars of the Waterford team included Shane Walsh and Brick Walsh. Liam O Lionain was captain, I think?

deise man wrote: »
    Dead right. And people going to their first match of the year will probably end up in the centre of the stand.

I'll be going to my first match of the year. I live too far away to get down most of the time. Luckily just attending games isn't the only barometer of how strong a GAA person you are.

• Advertisement

2003. Think Donaghy was playing. Stars of the Waterford team included Shane Walsh and Brick Walsh. Liam O Lionain was captain, I think?

I doubt O'Lionain was captain. I'd say the county champions still had the pick of captain.

Just did a quick check there on my files! Both Brick and Shane Walsh were underage the following year but didn't tog out when Waterford were defending their title. Justin McCarthy forced Brick not to tog out, and Shane Walsh was injured playing a club hurling game.

Yeah they're the same age and Shane Walsh was playing for the Nire the following year when they won the u21 county championship. Happens sure, to be honest Brick in reality made the decision not to play football. Justin may have denied him playing in that game, but ultimately Brick wasn't going to play both codes at inter-county level and hence chose hurling, like everybody else who got that opportunity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

thats the GAA's fault purely, they are obliged to look after these season ticket holders

can't expect 'sunshine supporters' to give back these good tickets because a couple of fans believe they are more deserving becasue they where up at some challenge in Lemybrien in the lashing rain back in January

Just checked the munster gaa website, this was the team;

David Hickey, Michael Crotty, Ger Hayes, John O’Reilly, Niall Hennessy (Captain), Edmond Rockett, John Hurney, Sean Dempsey, Michael Walsh, Liam Ó Lonáin, Mark Power, Tony Whelan, Bob Costello, Shane Walsh, Billy Harty

Just checked the munster gaa website, this was the team;

David Hickey, Michael Crotty, Ger Hayes, John O’Reilly, Niall Hennessy (Captain), Edmond Rockett, John Hurney, Sean Dempsey, Michael Walsh, Liam Ó Lonáin, Mark Power, Tony Whelan, Bob Costello, Shane Walsh, Billy Harty

Great game, Was in Shane Walsh fisted the ball into the net for waterford?

Yeah they're the same age and Shane Walsh was playing for the Nire the following year when they won the u21 county championship. Happens sure, to be honest Brick in reality made the decision not to play football. Justin may have denied him playing in that game, but ultimately Brick wasn't going to play both codes at inter-county level and hence chose hurling, like everybody else who got that opportunity!

Very true. Take a county like Wexford though. Our best club teams would be stronger than their best club teams. Our underage teams have definitely been better over the past few years. They have a Waterford man in managing them, and they play really attractive football and have played in a National League Div 2 League final, and two Leinster finals in the past four years or so. Then look at us, progress, but not near that level.

Great game, Was in Shane Walsh fisted the ball into the net for waterford?

It was indeed, further confirming the height this guy is capable of jumping. Its incredible given he is resonably small.

It was indeed, further confirming the height this guy is capable of jumping. Its incredible given he is resonably small.

Always had an eye for a goal did Walsh.

thaught it was gas in the Limerick game recently he jumped so high for the ball he had to catch it awkwardly around his stomach

after the AI semi in 2009 the western players dropped into my local on their way back to Dungarvan....... alot of casual fans wouldn't have recognised Walsh at the time, and some wan goes to him, 'did you enjoy the match today?' thinking he was some random punter!! he was very modest indeed I must say.

• Advertisement

Very true. Take a county like Wexford though. Our best club teams would be stronger than their best club teams. Our underage teams have definitely been better over the past few years. They have a Waterford man in managing them, and they play really attractive football and have played in a National League Div 2 League final, and two Leinster finals in the past four years or so. Then look at us, progress, but not near that level.

We're better than them at hurling with the last 7 years at least. I don't think it's impossible for us to be a dual county, but the powers that be in this county seem to think it is and therefore don't seem to be making half the effort at underage in football that they do at hurling.

Maybe when Jason Ryan is finished with Wexford we can get him over here. He does love his county like.

There is a big difference between clubs and counties but I take your point. I don't know that our underage teams have been better than theirs with the exception of 2003 and I think 2006 when we made it to the munster final. Certainly at minor level our teams seem to get hammered year in year out.

thaught it was gas in the Limerick game recently he jumped so high for the ball he had to catch it awkwardly around his stomach
    after the AI semi in 2009 the western players dropped into my local on their way back to Dungarvan....... alot of casual fans wouldn't have recognised Walsh at the time, and some wan goes to him, 'did you enjoy the match today?' thinking he was some random punter!! he was very modest indeed I must say.

Both of these made me laugh! Saw the catch you were on about, think he scored his point from that one.

I feel he was the best footballer in the county over the last decade. Was talking to a guy from Abbeyside in 2005 who assured me Gary Hurney was, though I was having none of it. And in the footballers book, Gary Hurney said Brick was the best footballer in the county.

We're better than them at hurling with the last 7 years at least. I don't think it's impossible for us to be a dual county, but the powers that be in this county seem to think it is and therefore don't seem to be making half the effort at underage in football that they do at hurling.

Maybe when Jason Ryan is finished with Wexford we can get him over here. He does love his county like.

There is a big difference between clubs and counties but I take your point. I don't know that our underage teams have been better than theirs with the exception of 2003 and I think 2006 when we made it to the munster final. Certainly at minor level our teams seem to get hammered year in year out.

I used to follow the underage more closely, but I think that after 2006 standards have dropped off considerably. Even at club level I reckon the standard at minor county finals is a decent bit lower, as is interest levels in the media.

As for Ryan, other than convenience of training a team close to home, I can't see why he'd want to take Waterford on anytime soon. He'd be definitely stepping back a level.

I used to follow the underage more closely, but I think that after 2006 standards have dropped off considerably. Even at club level I reckon the standard at minor county finals is a decent bit lower, as is interest levels in the media.

As for Ryan, other than convenience of training a team close to home, I can't see why he'd want to take Waterford on anytime soon. He'd be definitely stepping back a level.

Well in the footballers book he came across as being very passionate about Waterford football. I reckon he will take at some stage though maybe not immediately after Wexford, he might even want a break after that given he's quite young and its a serious commitment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

Lads totally agree , i am a season ticket holder also , im going to write an email outline my disatisfaction. Can everyone else also get onto them and put them under some pressure.

From what I've noticed in previous years following Waterford, we seem to have far larger numbers of people who follow just the Waterford hurlers. Many of them who I know personally would have no connection at all with any clubs, other Waterford teams, or the games at a national level.

Not that I'm knocking it, but Waterford seems to have attracted more of these people than other counties from what I can tell.

There is now probably a debate as to who is more deserving. Fans or GAA members and activists. Interesting dilemma for GAA administrators.

I suppose to be fair to season ticket holders they have to attend a certain number of league games, and I know some people aren't in a position to do so but like any other organisation the GAA should give preference to regular customers. That said, I'm not a season ticket holder, but I was at 4 league games this year and six last year (couldn't go to Galway last year, an didn't make it to the Offaly, Wexford or the Cork game this year). I've only missed three championship games involving Waterford and this was the first year I have ever missed one of our Munster Championship games since I started going, as circumstances conspired against me.

Now, WHERE'S MY PRIZE!:D

What is the appeal of season tickets? Are you guaranteed a ticket for the all-ireland final if you have one and your chosen county is in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What is the appeal of season tickets? Are you guaranteed a ticket for the all-ireland final if you have one and your chosen county is in it?

60% attendence and you are guaranteed a ticket.

€70 was the season ticket price, all league games, league final and first chamipionship game included. €5 reduction on the non final games.
    Seems like Croke park is the only place you get decent tickets though (Sections 304 and 305 lower Cusack).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement