Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2009-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Absolutely correct, well beaten in 2006. Cork won the All Ireland that year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

deise man wrote: »
    Dead right. And people going to their first match of the year will probably end up in the centre of the stand.

A fair few of the seats in the centre will be taken up by those that buy is it a ten year ticket in Cork which gives them entry into all games played in Cork, regardless of what competition it is.

There was a similar thing in Waterford (Club 500) the time Fraher Field and Walsh park was been developed. People could buy a ticket for £1,000 and it allowed them entry into all none all tickets games in the county until 2020. Maybe something similar should be planned to try and bring in a few euro for the county board now.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I doubt O'Lionain was captain. I'd say the county champions still had the pick of captain.

Just did a quick check there on my files! Both Brick and Shane Walsh were underage the following year but didn't tog out when Waterford were defending their title. Justin McCarthy forced Brick not to tog out, and Shane Walsh was injured playing a club hurling game.

Dont think he has played Football for waterford since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

warning - if you are buying tickets for the munster final online - ticketmaster are charging a €3 service charge per ticket and you print off your own

tickets.ie only have a €1 charge no matter how many you purchase and they post them out to you !

60% attendence and you are guaranteed a ticket.

€70 was the season ticket price, all league games, league final and first chamipionship game included. €5 reduction on the non final games.
    Seems like Croke park is the only place you get decent tickets though (Sections 304 and 305 lower Cusack).

Tickets for the All-Ireland this year are €80. I think they were €70 with the last few years. €5 has been taken off the tickets for this years qualifiers and for the semi and quarter finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise Tom wrote: »
    A fair few of the seats in the centre will be taken up by those that buy is it a ten year ticket in Cork which gives them entry into all games played in Cork, regardless of what competition it is.

There was a similar thing in Waterford (Club 500) the time Fraher Field and Walsh park was been developed. People could buy a ticket for £1,000 and it allowed them entry into all none all tickets games in the county until 2020. Maybe something similar should be planned to try and bring in a few euro for the county board now.

Which essentially is all games at those venues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Tickets for the All-Ireland this year are €80. I think they were €70 with the last few years. €5 has been taken off the tickets for this years qualifiers and for the semi and quarter finals.

He's talking bout the season ticket prices Tom not the AI final ticket. Season ticket holders get a further 5 euro discount on any championship games that arent a provincial final or the AI final

KevIRL wrote: »
    He's talking bout the season ticket prices Tom not the AI final ticket. Season ticket holders get a further 5 euro discount on any championship games that arent a provincial final or the AI final

I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How much is the season ticket lads? And where do you get them at the start of the year?
    I'm considering investing next season, would it be recommended? I know a few of ye have been saying ye're disappointed that ye didn't get centre field tickets as promised but bearing in mind I'd always go on the terrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

From what I've noticed in previous years following Waterford, we seem to have far larger numbers of people who follow just the Waterford hurlers. Many of them who I know personally would have no connection at all with any clubs, other Waterford teams, or the games at a national level.

Not that I'm knocking it, but Waterford seems to have attracted more of these people than other counties from what I can tell.

There is now probably a debate as to who is more deserving. Fans or GAA members and activists. Interesting dilemma for GAA administrators.

Read in the Munster that the Under 21 County Final on this Saturday. Dungarvan v Rathgormack. Should be an indication of where underage football is at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Cake Man wrote: »
    How much is the season ticket lads? And where do you get them at the start of the year?
    I'm considering investing next season, would it be recommended? I know a few of ye have been saying ye're disappointed that ye didn't get centre field tickets as promised but bearing in mind I'd always go on the terrace.

You can't get on the terrace with the season tickets. You're forced to take seats in the stand or nothing. That's been the sole reason I've never got one, it's fantastic value otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Waterford stars and news

I doubt O'Lionain was captain. I'd say the county champions still had the pick of captain.

Just did a quick check there on my files! Both Brick and Shane Walsh were underage the following year but didn't tog out when Waterford were defending their title. Justin McCarthy forced Brick not to tog out, and Shane Walsh was injured playing a club hurling game.
    Niall Hennessy was captain that year and what a fantastic captain he was too, played excellent in every game in the campaign, waterford had an extremely strong defence that year all six played for waterford seniors that year. Brick was outstanding as was the six backs, liam lionan, tony whelan and of course shane walsh. I was at the cork game too it was an epic game(same cork team won the minor 3 years previous)... The kerry team included Gooch, declan o sullivan, kieran donaghy, seamus scanlan, declan quill, brian sheehan. Those lads never get the full credit for what they achieved considering the recent U21 football performances by our county and the crowds the U21 hurling teams get (still havent won a munster title in a long time). I really hope waterford beat london these lads put in serious effort and i enjoyed watching their games in the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

From what I've noticed in previous years following Waterford, we seem to have far larger numbers of people who follow just the Waterford hurlers. Many of them who I know personally would have no connection at all with any clubs, other Waterford teams, or the games at a national level.
    Not that I'm knocking it, but Waterford seems to have attracted more of these people than other counties from what I can tell.

There is now probably a debate as to who is more deserving. Fans or GAA members and activists. Interesting dilemma for GAA administrators.
    I presume when you talk about being 'deserving' you mean with respect to ticket allocation. Speaking as one of the people you mention, there's no dilemma in my mind: members come first. I don't think it's that big a deal anyway, there were probably 5,000 Waterford people at the Limerick match so when people talk about those who have been to every match come All-Ireland final day it won't be that hard to find the hardy few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Regarding the 2003 Under-21 footballers, I was walking through Trinity College not long after that game and saw Brendan Kennelly. I couldn't resist going up to him and 'commiserating' with him on Kerry's loss. He took it in good spirit, and now that I read that article I've linked to and see what happened to him in 1954 - they lost the All-Ireland Minor final by a point to Dublin and '"Even to this day now," he confesses, "there are people who will say to me 'Aren't you the lad who lost the all-Ireland for us?' and you get this clatter from them - because they'll never let you forget"' - I realise he took it in very good spirit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Under 21 Football County Final Result from Today,

Rathgormack 1-12 Dungarvan 1-10.

Dungarvan lead at the break 1-8 to 1-5 and will be kicking themselves that they lost the game. They had several chances to win the game.

It was an enjoyable game, with a few good players on either side. Full Marks as well to referee Dessie O'Leary who had a very good game.

Brilliant! Will try watch this in full later. Just watched Mullane's hand-pass goal that never was and the commentary is hilarious.

A goal. Is that goal? Is it a free out or a goal? We can't see. We can't see. Is it a free out or a goal? We have a new commentary position so we can't see. We cannot see.

Would expect a number of clubs to be thinking about Colm Bonner as Manager of their side next year after he stepped down as Wexford manager this evening, that is if he does not get another inter-county side in the mean-time.

There was a lot in what John McIntyre said after tonight's games, ie, they got rid of the cones and did some hurling. In time, i wonder will many more teams go down the same road. The amount of cones you see at times on a field (at club games in particular) is like been in some sort of Rally school.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I would just like to say that dungarvan under 14 girls done very well in the feile 2011
    they won it out all ireland champions and it was the first year they wre in it
    they won their group stages by beating

watergrass hill

mayfield

derry ( favourites to win group )

semi final they beat new york (favourites to win it out )

final they beat bandon

i would judt like to say well done and let people know how they got on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

So if we lose the Munster final we're pretty much certain to be playing Cork or Galway unless Antrim cause some huge upset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

whats story with Munster final tickets, they'res none left on ticketmaster but im assuming theres still a good few left? have they gone back to the county board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

O Riain wrote: »
    whats story with Munster final tickets, they'res none left on ticketmaster but im assuming theres still a good few left? have they gone back to the county board?

You can buy on tickets.ie too apparently if you want to buy online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

deisedude wrote: »
    You can buy on tickets.ie too apparently if you want to buy online

just seen that now, no tickets there either.
    Surely not sold out???? Surely....

oh wait found terrace tickets, was told by some fella up above if i bought em on the day id get student discount BUT from munster GAA

Ticket prices as follows:-

Student/OAP – Concession on Stand Tickets only – pay full price and get a refund of €10 at specified Stiles on the day (on production of valid I.D.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Unless we spring a surprise on Tipp next week, the quarter finals look like this:

Dublin vs Limerick/Antrim

Waterford vs Galway/Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

flahavaj wrote: »
    Unless we spring a surprise on Tipp next week, the quarter finals look like this:

Waterford vs Galway/Cork

if cork get over galway....handy qf then;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

flahavaj wrote: »

Waterford vs Galway/Cork

are you sure that the old rule about teams that have already met being kept apart is still in place at qf stage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

BERBA wrote: »

You shouldn't be so hard on your team Berba, I'd say they'd give us a good game.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah you could of kinda seeing it a few weeks back that we were going to meet either Galway, Cork or Clare in the quarters if we lost the Munster final. That would leave us on the KK side of the draw too.
    Howasever, there's a game to be won next Sunday that would put us straight into an AI semi and put Tipp on the KK side of the draw so that's all to play for.

Would there be any hassle getting terrace tickets up there next Sunday?

BERBA wrote: »

Is the towel thrown in already. While i dont think Waterford will beat Tipp next week, I hope to God that i am wrong.

• Advertisement

I've been going on about this a lot on the twitter machine, but the similarities between 2009 and 2011 are getting more and more bizarre.

The Munster championship was match-for-match the same, Kilkenny played Dublin in the Leinster final, the 1st set of qualifiers saw Cork vs Offaly, Galway vs Clare and Limerick vs Wexford, the next set saw Galway vs Cork and Limerick vs a weakish side, and the QFs will possibly be Dublin vs Limerick and Waterford vs winners of Cork/Galway, even though I hope I'm wrong with that last one.

Very strange altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement