Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCabe Killers released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Conclusive proof Martin Ferris is a low life and anyone who votes for him or his ilk is a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

kodute wrote: »
    Conclusive proof Martin Ferris is a low life and anyone who votes for him or his ilk is a scumbag.
    Hardly 'conclusive proof'.
    What's with the 'manslaughter' business in the OP's article though?
    They were convicted of manslaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Fracture wrote: »
    None of us were there when jerry mcCabe was killed, so none of us know what happened or what was going through the mens mind to make them shoot 2 garda, im not sticking up for them but i dont think anyone has the right to be calling them scumbags etc, after all they served their time and regret what they did.

People know exactly what happened that day :confused: I reserve my right to call any convicted murderer a scumbag, regardless of what time they've served.

DoireNod wrote: »

Looks conclusive to me. Picture of him there welcoming his pals out.

prinz wrote: »
    People know exactly what happened that day :confused: I reserve my right to call any convicted murderer a scumbag, regardless of what time they've served.
    They were convicted of manslaughter and not murder.
    prinz wrote: »
    Looks conclusive to me. Picture of him there welcoming his pals out.
    How is that 'conclusive proof' that he's a low-life?

• Advertisement

Pictures of him welcoming convicted murderers back into society. Theres the proof that he is a low life.
    On the bit where everyone who votes for him being a scumbag...well thats not as conclusive, you'll have to take my word on it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kodute wrote: »

That's BS man. People can vote for whoever they want. I'm not best pleased with the people who put Fianna Fail, but tarring them all as Scumbags would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yes because it's incredibly difficult to prove the intent of the action, hence manslaughter is always settled upon (i.e. the burden of proof is upon the state to prove beyod a resonable doubt that these 'men' sought to kill Garda McCabe, eg if they found something that implicated them in this way then it would be a different situation, but because you can prove what way these robbers were thinking at the time it's manslaughter). Either way, it's pretty black and white, they robbed a post office and shot and killed a garda, anyone else convicted of this and they would be still in prison, but because the basterds are part of a 'political movement' they get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The lenient sentence they were handed is bad enough but for Ferris to meet them outside the prison is a slap in the face for both McCabe's family and anyone that thought that SF had fianlly began to distance itself from these scumbags.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yes because it's incredibly difficult to prove the intent of the action, hence manslaughter is always settled upon (i.e. the burden of proof is upon the state to prove beyod a resonable doubt that these 'men' sought to kill Garda McCabe).
    Surely the state wouldn't just 'settle upon' manslaughter as a conviction, in such a serious situation.
    Either way, it's pretty black and white, they robbed a post office and shot and killed a garda, anyone else convicted of this and they would be still in prison, but because the basterds are part of a 'political movement' they get out.
    They served 10 and a half years, I believe. Whether you agree with that or not, it's the time that the courts deemed was worthy punishment. If you have a problem with the judicial system, perhaps you should raise this issue.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    That's BS man. People can vote for whoever they want. I'm not best pleased with the people who put Fianna Fail, but tarring them all as Scumbags would be ridiculous.

My opinion man, just like people who vote FF are sheep and generally incapable of independent thought.

Also I didn't say EVERYONE who votes for SINN FEIN is a scumbag... some people accidentally put a number in the wrong box... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For those wondering how 14 bullets from an A47 equalls manslaughter, the provos got to a couple of witnesses who suddenly discovered they couldn't remember anything (One witness served 18 months for contempt of court rather than speak). So the DPP had to go with the lesser but easier to prove charge.

Pearce McAuley was already on the run when involved in the robbery having escaped from Brixton Prison in 1991. I suppose he could yet be extradited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

And Ferris's daughter was wondering why SF were doing so poorly in the South recently... They really have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Kill a garda and get 10 years, then be greeted by a politician on your way out?

What a pathetic little sh1t of a nation we are, no wonder we're a playground for scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Strange there isn't the same outcry in the south over things like this;

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0727/mcanespiea.html

They were convicted of manslaughter and not murder.
    How is that 'conclusive proof' that he's a low-life?

I don't care what they were convicted of under the law. The fact is they murdered Jerry McCabe. Anyone who associates themselves these scumbags is a low-life. The fact that he's a TD, and they killed a member of the legitimate police force of this state makes it even worse. In any other country he would be forced to give up his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeh but wasn't that not an issue before (i.e. after the GFA), in that these scumbags were not operating under the IRA at the time of the robbery and that it was a private job

Convenient that so many of the more toxic (publicity-wise) operations were 'unauthorized'.

If it was a private job, why did SF campaign against their exclusion from the GFA prisoner releases, or meet them outside the clink?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...these scumbags were not operating under the IRA at the time of the robbery and that it was a private job, i.e. "It later admitted that individual members were involved - the IRA said "in contravention of its orders"". It's a f*cked up situation either way.

Yeah, I'd say that too if some of my people fncked up a job so badly that I was going to look even more untrustworthy than before! I'd disown them quickly and burn all the paperwork implicating me!

'Er, We didn't tell dem to do de robbury, don't blame us, dey did it demselves, it wasn't sankshunned dey contraveend de ordurs, dur!' :rolleyes:

As for them being released...well, they did their time as any other killer does and now it's time for them to be released. Now whether that prison sentence was long enough or not is another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I see it's atrocity poker time.

I'll raise you a chucky counter-hand in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Great, it's "whataboutery" time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here ya go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633804

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

In breaking news. Willie O Dea is organising a welcome home party for Dessie Dundon, and Dermot Ahern is to pick up John Gilligan at Portlaoise in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is it ironic that Gerry Adams today condemned the lenient sentencing of the killers of Harry Holland? http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090805/tuk-adams-anger-at-sentence-review-f858358.html

What an absolute fcuking asshole he is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

12 years for murder, max, out in 10.

****ing rofl, maybe I should go out and fcuking murder a politician or judge to get the ****ing message through, and all the while during my 10 years, say I'm going to do it again as fcuking soon as they release me.

What time is it?

Expat time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Scumbags, good to see Sinn Fein are the same murdering ***** they always were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

People seem to be missing the point here.
    Yes, these guys were members of the PIRA and yes they killed a Garda in the line of duty.
    However, it was decided to release all PIRA prisoners as part of the deal for the PIRA to decommission, disband, etc.

These guys have served over 10 years.
    We get all worked up about it because it happend down here.
    It's a bit rich to be ranting about this when you look at the situation in the North.
    The person who carried out the massive Canary Wharf bombing was released after 18 months.
    The person who carried out all the sniper killings in South Armagh was released after 18 months.
    People in Britain and people in the North had to stomach all this as part of a deal for the greater good.

If you want to start complaining about these guys getting out then you're going to have to complain about all the other terrorists that got released and it turn you're going to have to complain about the GFA.
    If you're going to complain about all that then what are the alternatives.
    A PIRA left removed from main stream politics and out in the cold?
    Hmmm, wonder where that would lead?

At the end of the day these guys got the short end of the stick.
    While mass murderes got released after serving 18 months these guys were hung out to dry by the Sinn Féin / IRA leadership.
    Why? because middle ground voters don't like voting for cop killers.
    Rightly or wrongly these guys were risking their lives for the benefit of the PIRA and for what they believed was for the benefit of Ireland.
    In return the PIRA hung them out to dry.
    Do you think that the PIRA would have so easily turned its back on them if they had been from South Armagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

They are not murderers, they are just sympathetic to the cause.
    It's just this time the cause was to riddle a family man with bullets as he sat in his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I love a reasoned debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

At the end of the day these guys got the short end of the stick.
    No, they didn't sure the IRA kept telling us that is wasn't sanctioned and we all know how trustworthy them and Sinn Féin are!
    While mass murderes got released after serving 18 months these guys were hung out to dry by the Sinn Féin / IRA leadership.
    Ah you see those mass murderers were acting under PIRA orders at the time and so were a part of the GFA. Stands to reason, right? :)
    Why? because middle ground voters don't like voting for cop killers.
    No because it wasn't sanctioned, that's what we were all told. :rolleyes:
    Rightly or wrongly these guys were risking their lives for the benefit of the PIRA and for what they believed was for the benefit of Ireland.
    Not according to the PIRA and Sinn Féin, they weren't.
    In return the PIRA hung them out to dry.
    Ah, some truth!
    Do you think that the PIRA would have so easily turned its back on them if they had been from South Armagh?
    Not on your nelly, South Armagh defections to the 'dissidents' would have cost the PIRA dearly.

Trustworthy bunch are SF and PIRA!

/there may be a lot of sarcasm here, if you're on a diet, best avoid ;)
    I'm not having a go at Armin_Tamzarian, I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy of the shambolic way in which this operation was denied and denounced by the PIRA leadership and the subsequent events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mike kelly wrote: »
    They have served their sentence and are now entitled to be released

They killed someone in 1996 and are out now, 13 years is hardly a sentence for murder and attempted murder is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement