Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCabe Killers released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

JW91 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that anyone you emailed is going to care about your opinion? Do you think they will even bother to read it?

Yes. It's not the first time I have done something similar and I have always received a satisfactory response.
    Everyone here is getting up on their high horse about all of this but at the end of the day these guys served their time. They committed a crime but they served what was deemed to be a fair and just sentence for the crime they committed.They are entitled to their freedom.

You might notice where I made clear that I didn't care that they were being released.
    Martin Ferris has never tried to hide his republican view points. It doesn't bother me who he associates with in his free time. It's none of my business and none of any of yer business either

Actually as an elected representative of Dáil Éireann it is my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

They will not be welcome in Limerick except by the thriving lawless families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

lynchiered wrote: »
    These men were trying to acquiring money to fund a war the Free State Goverment were afraid to fight. I do not consider this "Scummery".

FPMSL.:D
    What war was this?
    The war with ill gotten gains
    The war with drugs.
    The war with terror.
    The war with guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

FPMSL.:D
    What war was this?
    The war with ill gotten gains
    The war with drugs.
    The war with terror.
    The war with guns.

Try back up your pount mate!! Name a Member of the PIRA that was ever convicted for a drugs related offence?

Try back up your pount mate!! Name a Member of the PIRA that was ever convicted for a drugs related offence?

Sorry, quite right , they are all more carefull than that, to be directly involved in drugs.
    But sure they never denied killing any innocents for the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Every sensible, right minded individual would agree that 10 years for murder (regardless of the victim) is way too short. The fact that the victim was a Guard who was there to protect the innocent and accepted death as a daily risk in his job should incur an extra sentance (back in the day Capital punishment).

The bigger picture of the GFA/Peace process does have to be taken into account here and all parties to that had to swallow hard on several occassions. Its no solace Det Jerry McCabes family but this is the reality of a very f'ed up situation.

Not sure what those guys now want to do but I reckon they should put their heads down and get out of the country fast, count their blessings and rebuild a life they are blessed to have.

As for Ferris, let this be a timely reminder to those who vote for him in Kerry of where he is coming from and why it is a disgrace he has ever been elected to office in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Are judges allowed to give consecutive sentences? If so why the hell weren't they done for every firearms offence in the book and as many other charges the cops/DPP could think of and sentences accordingly?
    And the Brits had been looking to extradite one of them for escaping from prison back in the 90s, one would think that today would be the perfect opportunity but no, they've decided there's no longer a reasonable chance of a conviction. :rolleyes:

Sinn Féin have lost any lower votes they would've been getting from me in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

kenco wrote: »
    Every sensible, right minded individual would agree that 10 years for murder (regardless of the victim) is way too short. The fact that the victim was a Guard who was there to protect the innocent and accepted death as a daily risk in his job should incur an extra sentance (back in the day Capital punishment).

They got 14 years for Manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

These men were trying to acquiring money to fund a war the Free State Goverment were afraid to fight. I do not consider this "Scummery".

Fund a war my hole.

They're a bunch of cowards fighting the battles that their fathers and grandfathers lost

Do you honestly believe the way to a united Ireland is through cowardly acts of violence?

This is being talked about on RTE radio one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stovelid wrote: »
    I think they should have served a much longer sentence, and opposed any talk of their release under the GFA
    I'm pretty sure that they themsleves said that they did not want their release "to be part of any further negotiations with the Irish government" in reference to the GFA.

Ferris was probably a mate of theirs.

The scumbags were part of a group of criminals trying to get money through robbery. They held up the cash vans, post offices, etc, and shot those who got in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Johnny Mc Pooonyerma
    Dr. Ipoo nyourmasboobs
    Ivana Takedump Crossyourmaschest

Go home and marry your cousin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Green fascists only escalated the mayhem.But they did succeed in stopping the lifeblood of innocent people.

Fund a war my hole.

They're a bunch of cowards fighting the battles that their fathers and grandfathers lost

Do you honestly believe the way to a united Ireland is through cowardly acts of violence?

The War the IRA raged against the British occupation in this country is wat brought the British goverment to the Negociating table. Wat is happening now ie. North South bodies,Irish ministerial council,Sinn Fein been the Biggest Nationalist party etc. could have Never happened if the brits where not at the table. And remember the British army its self admited it could never have defeated the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They served a joke of a sentence, from a joke of a justice system, in a joke of a country.

They murdered a Garda doing his job, they should have been put to death.

Scum.

kodute wrote: »
    Johnny Mc Pooonyerma
    Dr. Ipoo nyourmasboobs
    Ivana Takedump Crossyourmaschest

Go home and marry your cousin! :D

very funny just admit you lost the agument:-)

The War the IRA raged against the British occupation in this country is wat brought the British goverment to the Negociating table. Wat is happening now ie. North South bodies,Irish ministerial council,Sinn Fein been the Biggest Nationalist party etc. could have Never happened if the brits where not at the table. And remember the British army its self admited it could never have defeated the IRA.

Sorry but what has this to do with killing a born and bred Irishman, guarding the social welfare payments and pensions of other Irish people in Adare ffs?

Punctuation or spelling not your strong point?
    I suppose there is no need for it when you are recruited by thugs in boots.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Martin Ferris is currently on newstalk about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I was shocked when this was greeted in the politics forum as "excellent news".

I thought all the Sinners would be hiding in shame hoping it will go away.

But no, here they are showing their true colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Well Ferris on radio now , won't condem the killings , he just said he agrees with what gerry adams has said. This is the same scumbag who will want the gardai to protect him should anything happen him or anyone he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Sposs wrote: »
    Well Ferris on radio now , won't condem the killings , he just said he agrees with what gerry adams has said. This is the same scumbag who will want the gardai to protect him should anything happen him or anyone he knows.

Should the Gardaí not protect him or anyone he knows, on this basis?

In the case your best friend was a criminal, does that mean that the Gardaí shouldn't protect you, since you're the friend of a criminal?

DoireNod wrote: »
    Should the Gardaí not protect him or anyone he knows, on this basis?

In the case your best friend was a criminal, does that mean that the Gardaí shouldn't protect you, since you're the friend of a criminal?

Let me clarify; is this the same Gardaí which are legitimate targets at the same time? Funny that. Of course they're not cowards, brave lads like them.

prinz wrote: »
    Let me clarify; is this the same Gardaí which are legitimate targets at the same time? Funny that. Of course they're not cowards, brave lads like them.
    Whether a group sees them as a legitimate target or not does not have a bearing on whether they should protect individuals.

So again, should the Gardaí not protect Ferris and anyone he knows on the basis that he met two men convicted of manslaughter and stated that he agreed with Gerry Adams' comments? What about the family of these men? Should the Gardaí refuse to protect them because they are related to a man convicted of manslaughter? How about journalists who interview these people? I suppose they should lose their rights to state protection too?

Whether a group sees them as a legitimate target or not does not have a bearing on whether they should protect individuals.

So again, should the Gardaí not protect Ferris and anyone he knows on the basis that he met two men convicted of manslaughter and stated that he agreed with Gerry Adams' comments? What about the family of these men? Should the Gardaí refuse to protect them because they are related to a man convicted of manslaughter? How about journalists who interview these people? I suppose they should lose their rights to state protection too?

What about Martin Cahill?
    What about Marlo Hyland?
    Would you cry a river for them and the fact that Gardai could have forcefully saved their lives?

You mean the fact that they are only too happy to murder gardaí should have no bearing on the fact that they'd be likewise only too happy to accept garda protection... in a perfect world maybe.

However you are correct, The Gardaí you see aren't masked cowards who hide behind the nameless gangs or whatever they go by these days, who think that abducting and killing kids and single mothers is not a crime. The Gardaí will do their jobs, and would once again put their own lives on the line to protect the very scum which would happily stab them in the back under different circumstances. That is what makes the Gardai better than toy-soldier cowards from the wesht.

Fund a war my hole.

Some people seemed to believe that the way to securing an independent Ireland was through armed rebellion. That was just the Irish Republican Brotherhood though, no one special. Just cowards I suppose.

And to be fair, whether you agree with it or not, it has to take some degree of bravery to commit to what some of those guys do. Bravery or possibly ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Some people seemed to believe that the way to securing an independent Ireland was through armed rebellion. That was just the Irish Republican Brotherhood though, no one special. Just cowards I suppose.

And to be fair, whether you agree with it or not, it has to take some degree of bravery to commit to what some of those guys do. Bravery or possibly ignorance?
    Are you really trying to justify the McCabe murder?

prinz wrote: »
    You mean the fact that they are only too happy to murder gardaí should have no bearing on the fact that they'd be likewise only too happy to accept garda protection... in a perfect world maybe.

However you are correct, The Gardaí you see aren't masked cowards who hide behind the nameless gangs or whatever they go by these days, who think that abducting and killing kids and single mothers is not a crime. The Gardaí will do their jobs, and would once again put their own lives on the line to protect the very scum which would happily stab them in the back under different circumstances. That is what makes the Gardai better than toy-soldier cowards from the wesht.
    Just because the Gardaí are a state agency, doesn't mean that there won't be a corrupt Garda. Anyway, that's not my point. I was asking whether the Gardaí should or shouldn't protect Ferris and those he knows based on his meeting of the men convicted of the manslaughter of Garda Jerry McCabe.

What about Martin Cahill?
    What about Marlo Hyland?
    Would you cry a river for them and the fact that Gardai could have forcefully saved their lives?
    What's your point? I'm not crying a river. I'm asking a simple question. Martin Cahill was a criminal, but believe it or not, some of his friends and family were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Nobody is brave shooting an unarmed person, it is the height of being a coward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement