Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCabe Killers released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

humanji wrote: »
    Are you really trying to justify the McCabe murder?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

DoireNod wrote: »
    Just because the Gardaí are a state agency, doesn't mean that there won't be a corrupt Garda. Anyway, that's not my point. I was asking whether the Gardaí should or shouldn't protect Ferris and those he knows based on his meeting of the men convicted of the manslaughter of Garda Jerry McCabe.

They will. They have. The Gardaí have a duty and they fulfill it. They are answerable and accountable... unlike some others.
    What's your point? I'm not crying a river. I'm asking a simple question. Martin Cahill was a criminal, but believe it or not, some of his friends and family were not.

Ferris is a convicted criminal. His two friends today are convicted criminals...

themont85 wrote: »
    Nobody is brave shooting an unarmed person, it is the height of being a coward.
    Fair point and I agree, but what I meant was with regard to some of the actions that militant groups have carried out in the past. There is also obviously a risk in being involved to begin with. It's either bravery or ignorance. Or a combination of the two. There are cowards too, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No.
    Then why bring up the IRB? You're trying to justify what the killers here did by comparing it with events from a different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Some people seemed to believe that the way to securing an independent Ireland was through armed rebellion. That was just the Irish Republican Brotherhood though, no one special. Just cowards I suppose.

And to be fair, whether you agree with it or not, it has to take some degree of bravery to commit to what some of those guys do. Bravery or possibly ignorance?

It takes bravery to shoot an innocent man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

It takes bravery to shoot an innocent man?

No, the point that he and all like him are trying to make is that it is brave to risk everything you have for the cause.
    But as said on numerous occasions the cause changes more times than a burd on rag week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

the cause.

Love that term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

These men served their time for the crime they committed. They deserve to be released now as the courts see fit. They would have been released earlier under the terms of the GFA had they not shot a member of the gardai. The length of their sentence is actually quite long considering they were only done for manslaughter. ]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

No, the point that he and all like him are trying to make is that it is brave to risk everything you have for the cause.
    But as said on numerous occasions the cause changes more times than a burd on rag week.

Sorry I misread the post there. I can see his point but I think in many cases resisting peacefully can take more bravery than taking up arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

yea, but in reality that really doesn't count for ****e. Anyone could argue it takes bravery to be an IRA member or other terrorist or bank robber or rapist or a child molester, because there is always a risk that you will either get hurt doing what you or doing or get caught and be held accountable for your actions.

The majority of active members of IRA/INLA/UFF/UVF etc were scum and the dregs of society to begin with. If there weren't involved in terrorism most of them would be criminals, and as in the Adare case, they straddled both horses as and when it suited them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ah brilliant the irish justice system strikes again. yes they served their time people are right unfortunately that time was a fraction of what the should have got to be honest.

As for the classy show Sinn Fein put on this morning what do you expect from a bigger group of criminals than the two boys who got out of jail.

I listened to that Ferris muppet on Radio this morning and he repeatedly refused on a personal level to condemn the murder of McCabe despite constant efforts from Eamon Keane to get him to give his opinion.

On the grand scale of it all though is anyone surprised with any of what happened

yea, but in reality that really doesn't count for ****e. Anyone could argue it takes bravery to be an IRA member or other terrorist or bank robber or rapist or a child molester, because there is always a risk that you will either get hurt doing what you or doing or get caught and be held accountable for your actions.

The majority of active members of IRA/INLA/UFF/UVF etc were scum and the dregs of society to begin with. If there weren't involved in terrorism most of them would be criminals, and as in the Adare case, they straddled both horses as and when it suited them.

I agree with you, i was just clarifying what they perceive as bravery.
    Although i should add that if you did help the gardai with their enquiries after being caught you would then turn from Hero to RAT/TOUT.
    Do you think Ferris would have been wating outside with his willy in his hand if any of the "Oul lads" had ratted?

prinz wrote: »
    They will. They have. The Gardaí have a duty and they fulfill it. They are answerable and accountable... unlike some others.

Ferris is a convicted criminal. His two friends today are convicted criminals...
    Thanks for that.
    humanji wrote: »
    Then why bring up the IRB? You're trying to justify what the killers here did by comparing it with events from a different era.
    Perhaps I'm being misunderstood, I wasn't actually comparing what the killers did here to the IRB and such. I was making a point with regard to this post #100. I may have misunderstood what was meant by the 'cowardly acts of violence'. I thought he was talking in general terms, not specifically about the death of Jerry McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This thread is going to generate a massive amount of interest as the 9 pages show. The simple truth is they served there time and now they are free. Its not a publicity bouncing ball. They were members of the IRA and for that those in the IRA will support them no doubt. Sinn fein have never waved on there support of the provisional IRA either so why should they now.

It does not say anything of martin ferris, it does not say anything of sinn fein.

Here is another thought for you. Employment! Who in this country is going to employ such high profile people! Without the support of those around them these people will have nothing. More importantly there chances of re offending compared to drug dealers gangsters and theives are zero!

So yes it is very sad the death of Gerry McCabe but its no coincidence that the area Gerry McCabe served and was killed is a republician stronghold. It is no coincidence that it still is. It is no coincidence that RIRA and CIRA has a massive support base there! Its because of the republicain tradition in the area.

What this will boil down to is either you agree with there release or you dont! But in the eyes of the law they served there time and the are free men in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cjoe

Can someone give an answer on this please...
    So the main reason for ferris to meet and greet these two lads on being released was to say thanks for not ratting on anyone is it?
    Was there any reason to shoot the other garda and murder Gerry Mccabe?
    Is there anything else behind this whole story other than a few murdering scum bags killing a garda? It just seems like there is or maybe I missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cjoe wrote: »
    Can someone give an answer on this please...
    So the main reason for ferris to meet and greet these two lads on being released was to say thanks for not ratting on anyone is it?
    Was there any reason to shoot the other garda and murder Gerry Mccabe?
    Is there anything else behind this whole story other than a few murdering scum bags killing a garda? It just seems like there is or maybe I missed something

Would the reason satasfy you. It can be for many things but i suspect its loyality and respect for the IRA... Simple.

Would the reason satasfy you. It can be for many things but i suspect its loyality and respect for the IRA... Simple.

Well if thats it well then holy ****.
    I have read and heard plenty of things on ferris but this is probably one of the worst.
    The photos on the paper today are fairly disturbing to be honest, the 3 lads shaking hands smiling away. Honestly any kerryman who voted for him should be well ashamed.
    I had a good deal of respect for Adams and McGuinness to a certain extent, now if they come out and condone this (or even not comment) whatever respect I had for them will be gone.
    We seriously need a new party in this country. Between the greens fianna fail and sinn fein, its an awful pile of usless politicans.

I had a good deal of respect for Adams and McGuinness to a certain extent, now if they come out and condone this (or even not comment) whatever respect I had for them will be gone.
    :pac:
    You do realise they both wouldn't condemn the murder of Det Garda Gerry McCabe either?

:pac:
    You do realise they both wouldn't condemn the murder of Det Garda Gerry McCabe either?

Id like to think they would. Any decent human would. It would show they arent as backward as they once were.
    Sinn fein seemed to be slowly growing and moving forward over the last few years but this would be one giant step back into the dark ages for them in the south in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

lynchiered wrote: »
    These men were trying to acquiring money to fund a war the Free State Goverment were afraid to fight. I do not consider this "Scummery".

Fund a war - which at the time most Irish men and women wanted peace! The 'war' was at one point about a legitimate cause (this cause is long since dead - people have moved on both north of the border and south) - But in the more recent past it was smuggling and drugs. A complex money making racket for the provos.
    Try back up your pount mate!! Name a Member of the PIRA that was ever convicted for a drugs related offence?

Chain of command within ranks obviously took care of the risk of the real culprits being exposed.
    The War the IRA raged against the British occupation in this country is wat brought the British goverment to the Negociating table. Wat is happening now ie. North South bodies,Irish ministerial council,Sinn Fein been the Biggest Nationalist party etc. could have Never happened if the brits where not at the table.

What was wrong with the Sunningdale agreement of the early 1970's the basis for shared power existed as far back as then, at least this would have provided a peaceful platform to facilitate any potential transition, and a hell of a lot of innocent lives could have being spared. I do concede that there was both Unionist & Republican barriers to the working of the proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

I find the presence of an elected official greeting convicted murderers from jail to be sickening and abhorrent.
    Its for reasons like this that i'm really starting to hate Sinn Fein.
    How can Kerry people vote for Ferris???, hes nothing but a gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Id like to think they would. Any decent human would. It would show they arent as backward as they once were.

They have steadfastly refused to do so until now. I see no reason why that would change.
    Sinn fein seemed to be slowly growing and moving forward over the last few years but this would be one giant step back into the dark ages for them in the south in my opinion.

Which brings me back to my first post about being grateful for Ferris showing his ferret ugly mug. They were used to doing so much shooting he has shot himself and his friends in the foot bigtime on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

So yes it is very sad the death of Gerry McCabe but its no coincidence that the area Gerry McCabe served and was killed is a republician stronghold. It is no coincidence that it still is. It is no coincidence that RIRA and CIRA has a massive support base there! Its because of the republicain tradition in the area.
    not trying to nit pick but i don't get this part. What is no coincidence? That McCabe was killed because he was in a republican area? genuinely confused....

shaneybaby wrote: »
    not trying to nit pick but i don't get this part. What is no coincidence? That McCabe was killed because he was in a republican area? genuinely confused....
    whilst I understand what Joey the Lips is saying re location, I would disagree with him slightly. The majority of members of AGS murdered in this country have been killed by republican terrorists, many during armed robberies, a.nd this has happened the length and breath of the country
    Sure, these particular murderers has a lot of local knowledge which they put to use when planning and executing the murders, eg local back road knowledge for escaping etc.
    However I think where the 'republican area' trump card was played was in the witness intimidation carried out by the IRA after the fact, in oder to keep witnesses quiet. When you know you are living in the same neighbourhoods as murderers and those who actively and violently support murders then you are more likely to be genuinely intimidated.

prinz wrote: »
    They have steadfastly refused to do so until now. I see no reason why that would change.

Which brings me back to my first post about being grateful for Ferris showing his ferret ugly mug. They were used to doing so much shooting he has shot himself and his friends in the foot bigtime on this one.

Well at least we got to see sinn feins true colours.
    It would be worse for us not to know he openly greeted these two after finishing their jail term.

Looking at this whole situation there are so many flawed areas.
    1-Firstly that murdering a garda gets you only 14 years (less for the others involved and taking into account membership of the IRA)
    2-That we have a person like Martin ferris in politics representing an area of the country.
    3-That we have no decent republican party.

on a side note: Mr Ferris, and also his daughter when she was running for office, have always been consistent in their stance on supporting the people released today.

I'm by no means saying I agree with it, but anyone who is familiar with what he (and his daughter) have said on numerous previous occasions can't really pretend to be too surprised or outraged by his actions.

I'm not defending him (my personal opinion of him would result in a ban), however he has been nothing but consistent in his well publicized support for the people in question.

If people voted for him and are now outraged by his actions then they really didn't do much research into who they were electing / paying for.

Yes we are serious,

Welcome Home Lads!!!

Ye are true soldiers or Ireland, while others ignored British occupation in Ireland you stood up and said NO!!, While the Irish Government watched Nationalist communities be torn apart by loyalist death squads you went out and stopped them.

I wish you and your families all the best,

Beir Bua !!!

I wish them pain and suffering. I wish them illness and poverty. I wish them every misfortune under the sun. But I hope they are still better off then the arseholes that support their fascist, criminal, bigoted murderous behaviour, and make it all possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The War the IRA raged against the British occupation in this country is wat brought the British goverment to the Negociating table. Wat is happening now ie. North South bodies,Irish ministerial council,Sinn Fein been the Biggest Nationalist party etc. could have Never happened if the brits where not at the table. And remember the British army its self admited it could never have defeated the IRA.

Oh you mean the war to achieve a United Ireland? The war in which the IRA would never surrender? Their day would come and all that craic?

Funnily enough they've disarmed and "ceased operations", Northern Ireland is still part of the UK and the British Army are still in the North.

They did a sterling job altogether with their "armed struggle" didn't they? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ye are true soldiers or Ireland, while others ignored British occupation in Ireland you stood up and said NO!!

I thought it was the hun that said No? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Yes we are serious,

Welcome Home Lads!!!

Ye are true soldiers or Ireland, while others ignored British occupation in Ireland you stood up and said NO!!, While the Irish Government watched Nationalist communities be torn apart by loyalist death squads you went out and stopped them.

I wish you and your families all the best,

Beir Bua !!!

They may have said no, it still did **** all to stop the occupaton didn't it?

They should've been hung for the killing of Garda McCabe, hopefully karma catches up to them fairly sharpish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement