Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AdrianII wrote: »
    he was flat on the ground with his face down on the ground when i passed, i thought they were strapping or massaging his knee??

hope he is ok
    When I saw him they had his legs up and were taking his pulse, he looked out of it, they were yelling for a medic. I just hoped he got sorted, I heard all the sirens as I went further on. Poor bugger.

Other than that, I thought the day was brilliantly organised and the guy on the mic at the start was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well hope ye all enjoyed it. Thought it was really well organised and fair play to everyone involved for making changes to improve the start/finish and the course. Nice to see a race committee take feedback and use it.

Took it handy for the start and did 23 mins to 3 miles and then picked it up going up the hills which i kinda like. Went through 5 miles in 37.45 and kept up the pace for there to the finish. Found 8 to 9 the toughest but put the boot down again at the 9 mark and finished in 1:13:26 knocking nearly 2 minutes of my pb so thrilled and apart from the legs been tried now, all went well.

Agree with others that they need to give out bottles of water. At the water stop at Kybher, the young lad was more interested in what his mate was shouting at him and turned around to talk to him and poured most of the cup of water down my chest! Thank God for the shower.

Saw a couple of boardies round the course and saw one pulling over who looked injuried so hope you're ok whoever you are. Hope yer man who was put in the ambulance is ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

emerald007 wrote: »
    i agree that the organisation was a lot better today, but the kitchen ,may be overrun with spar lunch boxes by the time i finish this series. thought the wind on the two hills was a killer, but the rain slower was a blessing in disguise. did 25 seconds quicker than mac millian, and was dead happy with 5th. the lunaracers got blooded but i forget to vasaline up, so i'm walking oddly now. i thought the support from other runners as we passed the final couple of miles was really good. roll on the 1/2.

Savage running emerald007. If I'm not mistaken Boit was 2 minutes down on last year's time and you're about 3 up. Roll on the half indeed (for you that is - no hope on me doing that).

I can't fault the organisers at all... well them t-shirts - how come every race series I've run have handed out black t-shirts?! I think I've four now which aren't the best for winter. It's a minor gripe as getting a technical t-shirt at any race that only charges a score is a huge bonus. Everything else with today was top notch.

My race. I suppose I'm content. The 7th mile really hurt me and I left the group I was running with way too early on the run in (just after 8 miles!). With no training at all geared at a 10 mile I'm just happy to have made it without too much suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Well done to everyone today, it was a great day, I'm feeling the lactic acid love right now though, Had what I thought was a hard to reach 1:30 as a target and was in shock when I went over the line in 1:28:37.
    Organisation was brilliant, no complaints whatsoever, well done to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

72.20 for me. A pb by over 4 mins:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I did it in 2hr 04mins today. My first 10 mile, only started 'running' in June really, although I did a 5k run in May that I gave up running for after 0.5 miles and walked the rest of the way.

So over all, I am really proud of myself for finishing it, but a little disappointed it took me so long.

I did the 5 mile in 59mins, but I was ill, had had no breakfast, and was getting sick into a bag before the start!! I had been training for that, and was covering 5 miles in 40-45 mins depending on the day. But today for some reason, I was in flying form, had my scrambled eggs, strong coffee, powerade, banana, was dying to get going, but the first 5 miles still took me 50 mins, which isn't great.

However, as I said, I'm actually really proud of myself for finishing, and really pushed myself, despite the long time.

Had only registered for 5 and 10 mile - not sure whether to go for Half Marathon??

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd go for the half if I was you, you've got 5-6 weeks to go before the half and if you can complete 10 miles now you can surely complete 13.1 in a few weeks.

And, y'know, another t-shirt for the collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Oh... and where did people get the boards tops from?? I noticed one guy wearing one alright!!

PS: About the t-shirt - I LOVE IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

peanuthead wrote: »

Had only registered for 5 and 10 mile - not sure whether to go for Half Marathon??

Definitley do the half. Last yr I nearly killed myself doing the 10miler, not that I found the half very easy but I really improved in the few weeks in between, so if you can do the 10, you'll definitley do the half.

I finished in 1hr and 25mins which I was really happy with. Nearly 20mins less than last yr, its runs like that where you actually see an improvement that make a difference to me !

Does anybody else find the shirts smaller this time round ? I always get medium, even at the 5mile, but the medium today is definitely smaller ? Maybe I just got a dud small one with a medium tag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

So pleased! I finished in 1:39! Very very pleased!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Oryx wrote: »
    When I saw him they had his legs up and were taking his pulse, he looked out of it, they were yelling for a medic. I just hoped he got sorted
    As i was passing him a girl and a passer by i believe were holding his legs high, a sure sign of fainting:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Definitley do the half. Last yr I nearly killed myself doing the 10miler, not that I found the half very easy but I really improved in the few weeks in between, so if you can do the 10, you'll definitley do the half.

I finished in 1hr and 25mins which I was really happy with. Nearly 20mins less than last yr, its runs like that where you actually see an improvement that make a difference to me !

Does anybody else find the shirts smaller this time round ? I always get medium, even at the 5mile, but the medium today is definitely smaller ? Maybe I just got a dud small one with a medium tag ?

No it is quite small, my 5 mile looks class on me, my 10mile shirt looks like a belly top... it's quite fetching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

T-shirts are smaller this year. I measured my large against the large from last year and its definitally smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Anyone know if there are any photos from today's race doing the rounds?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

gerard65 wrote: »
    T-shirts are smaller this year. I measured my large against the large from last year and its definitally smaller.

i compared it to the one from the 5mile and this one is really small and tight
    i got a large but its like a tight speedo suit on me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's great that they're smaller. Now the women can actually wear them instead of using them as tents.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My size small t-shirt is shorter than I'd like it to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

im glad that ye confirmed they are smaller

ill be honest there were moments when more than a few fat bastard thoughts were rolling through my mind.

but now i know im still as svelte as ever:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

Is the chip time 100% guaranteed accurate? Can there be a mix up of any kind? When I search the results using either my name or number, it comes up saying 01:28:48. The thing is, when I crossed the line the clock was at approx 01:53.

I wish I could claim the 01:28 time, but I feel it's wrong. I'm not that good a runner... yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

93 mins according to the clock for myself - really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

any photos?

violator13 wrote: »
    any photos?

Nope, all our regular photographers were running today. I believe stupid private had some snappers filling in for him but he's slacking and hasn't put em on racepix yet. :D There should be some on sportsfile by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

In ten years of serious running I have never felt so bad in a race.That was savage. Times are the guts of 2mins down than a flat unwindy course. Ballycotton is a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

peanuthead wrote: »
    Oh... and where did people get the boards tops from?? I noticed one guy wearing one alright!!

PS: About the t-shirt - I LOVE IT!!!

Woddle is the man to ask. I think he sells them for E20. I have one myself. There was a good crew of us in them at the 10 miler. PM him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Josphat Boit had to stop to tie his lace. He is also running the Rathdrum race tomorrow. That might explain why his time is slower than last years.
    It's great to get all the feedback. Regarding the course: you really have to go with what you are offered by the OPW. The back road is very rarely used for races. Regarding the water: you will have to learn how to drink from cups. :) Us oldtimers never had bottles in our day. There would be a major cost if bottles were used and the Park clean up would be almost impossible.
    Almost 300 people ran without numbers. It was gas listening to all the excuses. "My number blew away" and so did the pins, I presume. "I forgot to bring it".
    We also had a lot of world records with some people taking just 2 minutes to run 5 miles. Needless to say, they will be withdrawn from the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Josphat Boit had to stop to tie his lace. He is also running the Rathdrum race tomorrow. That might explain why his time is slower than last years.
    It's great to get all the feedback. Regarding the course: you really have to go with what you are offered by the OPW. The back road is very rarely used for races. Regarding the water: you will have to learn how to drink from cups. :) Us oldtimers never had bottles in our day. There would be a major cost if bottles were used and the Park clean up would be almost impossible.
    Almost 300 people ran without numbers. It was gas listening to all the excuses. "My number blew away" and so did the pins, I presume. "I forgot to bring it".
    We also had a lot of world records with some people taking just 2 minutes to run 5 miles. Needless to say, they will be withdrawn from the results.

Ah, you gotta love those chancers. D'ye know what I can't understand is the number of people who think that race time would be a good time to go for a leisurely jog in the park in the opposite direction to the racers. I mean I know they are entitled to be there but surely there is a better time / place to run on that day.

Anyway, considering the numbers, the race was brilliantly organized, well done to everyone involved. The guy at the start was hillarious, how did the elites feel about his heckling and Mexican waving - brilliant. Also the toughest race I've ever run. Was it just me or was it really warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Regarding the water: you will have to learn how to drink from cups. :) Us oldtimers never had bottles in our day. There would be a major cost if bottles were used and the Park clean up would be almost impossible.

Never mind the tripping hazard with bottles after the majority of the field have been through the water station... cups are a pain to drink from, but I completely understand why they're used.

Great organisation of the race yesterday HW, really enjoyable. <Applause> !

Yep thanks for a really great race. It's great to see that out opinions, suggestion and err complaints were taken on board, this is what makes the race series so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

My legs are starting to feel normal again, So i will defiantly register for the half marathon again.
    Yeap, big thumbs up for the organisation, only gripe, t-shirt will probably never be worn unless i wear it to a fancy dress party as britney spears belly top :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

63'40". Well pleased with that as I was going for McMillan's prediction of 64'16". Definitely learnt from the 5 mile not to lose too much time on the hills and pass others if necessary. My Garmin had the course about 30 mtrs longer than 10 miles so I was never really sure if I was within target until the home straight.

Don't mind the cups, three water stops in a 10 mile race means a few gulps is enough (for me anyway). Water bottles would be a big environmental waste IMO.

Glad I went large on the T-shirt as it fits just fine after my 'Bruno' 5-mile medium.

Well done everyone on the changeable conditions. Last race before Berlin so I'm just readying myself for my Sunday LSR 17m (yoikes).

Advertisement