Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Bioni wrote: »
    Had to join boards.ie as I saw the pear reference. I was one of those exhausted pears, no. 432, the costumes were not all that soft and luxurious on the inside as they appeared. Congratulations on finishing, we couldnt keep up with you. Our time was 02:17. The crowd were amazing at keeping us going throughout and many thanks to yourself and everyone else who cheered us on. I hope we brought some extra entertainment to the race.
    Rather you than me bud. I remember thinking at the start when i saw you guys, please god dont let 2 guys in pear costumes beat me. I got passed by spiderman in the finishing straight in the 5 mile:)
    Well done by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi All,

Well done. I had a horrible race- dont know if it was nerves or I was ill- stomach was very weak and wasnt as strong as I should have been given the training - i came in at just short of 132 5 minutes more than the mac millan based on the five mile!! Doing the longford half in two weeks so hoping It was a bad day I was having cause trying to beat 2 hrs.

on the up side the race organisation was super- much better than the 5 mile:D and I have found myself in some photos so thanks stupid private!! My garmin did say 10.12 it but the 5 mile was over as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Phew - one photo of me - #47. I was able to follow Ms Athenry the whole way around :p

I just noticed that the Overall place in the results is based on finish time, not chip time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Actually curious guys what distance your garmins or other gps watches said your distance was, have seen as low as 10.07 and as high as 10.18 so far. Just curious to find out as i think ost of the garmins sadi around 5.05 for the 5 miler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

It's the garmins that are off in my opinion, although a great tool they are crap in calculating distance when hills are involved. Also I like to waste my battery before I charge it, so I turn it on and leave it on the window sill till it is empty and guess what while not moving from the window sill the watch some how can cover a distance of half a mile in an hour and a half. The adidas series is so well run and organised thta I would have every faith that the course is accurate.

Just to add if the garmin watches are 100% accurate I would imagine they would be used to measure courses but there not, there a training aid and people shouldn't get so hung up on them (I'm guilty of this myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Woddle wrote: »
    Just to add if the garmin watches are 100% accurate I would imagine they would be used to measure courses but there not, there a training aid and people shouldn't get so hung up on them (I'm guilty of this myself)

+1 on that (though I do it all the time).

FWIW, my Garmin said 16.13km, so I would interpret that as the course being absolutely bang on, and me running 40 metres extra not taking the inside line at corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Bioni wrote: »
    Had to join boards.ie as I saw the pear reference. I was one of those exhausted pears, no. 432, the costumes were not all that soft and luxurious on the inside as they appeared. Congratulations on finishing, we couldnt keep up with you. Our time was 02:17. The crowd were amazing at keeping us going throughout and many thanks to yourself and everyone else who cheered us on. I hope we brought some extra entertainment to the race.

fair play to you both, dont know how you managed it.
    You definitely brought some colour to the race
    well done again...now for the half marathon :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep...and you never run the course to the exact line that it was measured at...any sort of weaving etc is going to add a small bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Complete disaster on Sat, was going fine to mile 7 but pain kicked in after that when I planned to pick it up a bit.
    Hip/Groin problem at it again so will take it handier this week and only aim for around 25-30 miles to try to let it resolve itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

It's the garmins that are off in my opinion,

Yep, even on a 400m track they give different distances. Not much, but there always out slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It was a great race. The organisation was brilliant. My only gripe would have been why not give bottles of water but I saw hardworkers reply to that so fair enough. It's a pain having to clean up all afterwards.

I'll bring a belt with a couple of bottles for the half.

Weather was good too; that shower on the second lap was definitely welcomed.

I did 1.25.04, Mcmillian's time after the 5m was estimating 1.24.18 so I suppose it wasn't too far off and I dropped 8.53mins on last year so not too bad.

A bit disappointed because I could've done it in 1.21-1.23 but my guts were in ribbons, had to make a run for a bush just before the race (did you see the queues for the toilets!!) and had to stop twice because of stomach cramps.

Looking forward to the half now and think I'll do some hill work over the next few weeks to prepare for the s bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

gerard65 wrote: »
    Yep, even on a 400m track they give different distances. Not much, but there always out slightly.
    Yeah,
    Upload your runs to GarminConnect and have a look at the satellite pic - sure, it's always within a metre or two of where you're running, but all those errors must add up. Still very impressive for a gadget you can wear on your wrist - 0.8 % accuracy is more than acceptable for training purposes. (Actually it's probably better than that as only a few people get the chance to run the shortest possible route).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

What a great race on Saturday. Organising people into different race time zones was a clever move. That weather was crazy. Started off really hot/muggy and then the wind and rain kicked in towards the end! Was aiming for sub 1hr 10 myself and finished in 1 hr 2 so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Actually curious guys what distance your garmins or other gps watches said your distance was, have seen as low as 10.07 and as high as 10.18 so far. Just curious to find out as i think ost of the garmins sadi around 5.05 for the 5 miler.

10.08 on my Garmin. I pretty much followed the racing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Me too, I rarely do more than I have to!!

However, I thought we covered this issue of the distance after the 5 miler??
    Didn't someone say that the organisers usually measure the required distance + x% to ensure it can't be under distance?

My Garmin said 10.07 miles and I assumed this was the reason for the extra .07 mile. Not an issue in my mind but as I'm a stickler for over analysing all these sorts of numbers I like to know what the common distance clocked was, á la 5.05 miles last time out.
    Definitely not worth complaining about, more for curiosity purposes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Imagine if they did put down the blue line you see at some marathons - you'd have about 5,000 people trying to run exactly along it... and probably still get complaints that a Garmin said it was 10.01.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

My Garmin was clocking off the miles so far ahead of the markers that for the last three miles I had to work out my (predicted) time in my head but I don't really mind. If the course came in shorter than 10 miles I'd have much more of an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stevieward

Can anyone tell me what the different catrgories are for the race?

Im in MS and have no idea what that stands for!

BTW i completed it in 79.44 which im happy with considering it was only my 2nd ever race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

stevieward wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the different catrgories are for the race?

Im in MS and have no idea what that stands for!

BTW i completed it in 79.44 which im happy with considering it was only my 2nd ever race.
    MS--Male Senior as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

For all of you doubting your Garmins, continue doubting them ( no offence to Garmin, they are brilliant for what they are supposed to do ). The course was measured by a top ranked measurer and is spot on. Bear in mind that you could have run some wide bends and side stepped a few people etc on the way around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

For all of you doubting your Garmins, continue doubting them ( no offence to Garmin, they are brilliant for what they are supposed to do ). The course was measured by a top ranked measurer and is spot on. Bear in mind that you could have run some wide bends and side stepped a few people etc on the way around.
    +1
    The more twists turns hills in the run seems to give the garmin a large margin for error( well small%) . It measured my 3000m race last week as 1.92miles and that was on a track so I think i'd trust the measurer first..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

daymobrew wrote: »
    Phew - one photo of me - #47. I was able to follow Ms Athenry the whole way around :p

I just noticed that the Overall place in the results is based on finish time, not chip time!!

yes I can see why you just kept behind her for the race. Lucky you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

It's amazing how many fine ladies are running these races. Forget about your night clubs, all the hotties are out running.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Forget about your night clubs, all the hotties are out running.
    Damn right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

It's amazing how many fine ladies are running these races. Forget about your night clubs, all the hotties are out running.

Yeah but did you see the guy in post 334 in the red sox t-shirt...he's a ride.....and I'm not even gay!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yeah but did you see the guy in post 334 in the red sox t-shirt...he's a ride.....and I'm not even gay!

Go Sox! We've been pretty crap since the All Star break though....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Are these garmin watches you're all talking about?? They record the distance? Are they expensive?? Any good? Sorry for silly q's, I'm new to the running!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

No photos of me this time, thank god. Couldn't have taken a repeat of some of the ones from last time :D

I enjoyed the race until I found out that somebody I know, who lived on beer and takeaways 24/7 for the last 5 years, beat me by 25 minutes :eek: Damn you naturally talented folk :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tuvi

I take few shots there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alituv/

If anyone is looking for photos email my BiB number-I will try to find -but its not easy :)
    Daniel

kowalczyk@hot.pl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

just mailed you!!

Advertisement