Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Alien Resurrection was pretty poor but it at least somewhat regained the feel and look of an Alien film.
    Couldn't disagree more. Alien 3 looked drab because of the prison setting while Ailen Resurrection seemed to be set in some strange comic book inspired alternative universe to the previous movies. It felt all wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Galvasean wrote: »
    Apparently we arent getting 'classic' aliens in teh new film(s), but rather a creature a stage lower in the Xenomorph's evolutionary ladder:
    http://io9.com/5525820/the-classic-alien-wont-appear-in-ridley-scotts-prequels-at-all

This could be really good... or REALLY bad...
    Again, this is encouraging news. It shows that Scott is going to genuinely try and shake / wake up the franchise, rather than just ape Aliens or all the fanw*nk that has come since the first two movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im actually quite tempted to run some sort of 'design your own alien for the prequels' competition for the Film Forum...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

indough wrote: »
    precisely

and they werent even the worst in the movie, they chose these people because they were cheap to hire television actors

i never want to hear another yorkshire accent in an aliens movie either
    Huh? John Hurt, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, Lance Herikkson, and pretty much everyone else involved in the first two movies were by no means star names either, far from it. Jeez if anything, Henrikkson and Biehn are bigger cheap journeymen than the likes of Postletwaithe, a classically trained actor iirc.

I mean that was the whole point of the Alien franchise - or at least what I thought was the point - that space had become just another blue-collar workplace and that its populace were faces and people you'd likely see in our own time & workplaces. Half the reason why the first film worked was because the Nostromo's crew were tired, bickering everyday folk, just trying to survive & earn an honest buck. Arguably the first movie started the whole trend of presenting space as a dingy hole that we see in movies like Pitch Black, or even games like Starcraft (which really riffs the space-as-a-truckstop idea)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm going to try to watch the first 3 tonight...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Huh? John Hurt, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, Lance Herikkson, and pretty much everyone else involved in the first two movies were by no means star names either, far from it. Jeez if anything, Henrikkson and Biehn are bigger cheap journeymen than the likes of Postletwaithe, a classically trained actor iirc.

I mean that was the whole point of the Alien franchise - or at least what I thought was the point - that space had become just another blue-collar workplace and that its populace were faces and people you'd likely see in our own time & workplaces. Half the reason why the first film worked was because the Nostromo's crew were tired, bickering everyday folk, just trying to survive & earn an honest buck. Arguably the first movie started the whole trend of presenting space as a dingy hole that we see in movies like Pitch Black, or even games like Starcraft (which really riffs the space-as-a-truckstop idea)

There were no "stars" in the original Alien movie either, even Weaver wasnt acting that long.

Completely disagree with Alien 3 looking "bland" as well, there are some stunning sets and shots in it, the blast furnace scene where they cremate the bodies during the funeral sequence is fantastic, theres a great time lapse mini doc on the dvd showing just how long it took to build such a "bland" set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I always assumed that the Alien inherited it's looks from the Space Jockey, there's more than a passing resemblance. With that in mind, what Scott is doing in taking the look in a different direction makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I remember reading the original Joss Whedon draft for Alien Resurrection and thought it sounded much better than what ended up on screen. The last third of the script was different, with the hybrid described as something more akin to a spider/alien which certainly sounded better than what they ended up with. As for the prequel itself, I'm just happy that Ridley Scott is going back to do a sci-fi film, his first since Blade Runner, unless I'm mistakened. Surely that's enough to be excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

always thought the 3rd movie gets a bad rap. Not a bad movie at all and a lot of its problems where down to the studio fvcking with the original idea Fincher had. The extended version of the the 3rd movie is actually a very good film. I think there is nearly a half hour put back in and its greatly improves the film and changes the story quite a bit. Its a much better movie than the studio s original cut and closer to what Fincher had intended for the movie.

I think its great that Ridley is back on board and if there is to be another Alien movie then there isnt anybody else who could possible do it justice.
    If the film turns out to be great then what better way to erase the AVP part of the franchise from memory.

Ill definitely be looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It would be sweet if the master returned and fixed a broken franchise. I really couldn't believe it the 1st time I heard Ridley was involved - It was always a rumour for years that he was interested in doing another.

Cameron had a script for a 5th Alien before canning it thanks to AVP, there was talk that he and Scott would team up and do the film...............now, THAT would've been brilliant!

Though Scott's style has changed you have to have faith that the original guy will do some justice to the film!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It would be sweet if the master returned and fixed a broken franchise. I really couldn't believe it the 1st time I heard Ridley was involved - It was always a rumour for years that he was interested in doing another.

Cameron had a script for a 5th Alien before canning it thanks to AVP, there was talk that he and Scott would team up and do the film...............now, THAT would've been brilliant!

Though Scott's style has changed you have to have faith that the original guy will do some justice to the film!

I ****ing hate Tom Rothman. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So i'm right in assuming that the alien takes on certain characteristics from its host?
    From watching Alien 3 last night, it was using its 4 legs pretty much all the time to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The fact that Scott is involvied is probably a good sign. But problem is unless you have the same director directing all the movies in the franchise you cant expect it to be of the same quality.
    I have the DVD box set comprising all four moves and in a feature on on the original movie, it was revealed the cast weren't handed the relevant scene script until the day in question. Was a device to freak them out and to the tension on screen.
    Well worth getting if you are an Aliens fan particularly good stuff on the artwork and how the Alien ship was created.
    Last movie was so far removed from the original it was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

So i'm right in assuming that the alien takes on certain characteristics from its host?
    From watching Alien 3 last night, it was using its 4 legs pretty much all the time to walk.

Yes the Alien takes characteristics from is hosts. Ripley even alludes to this in Alien 3. I think her line is something like "I've never seen one like this before. It moves differently".

Also doesn't AVP end with
    a predator looking alien popping out of the chest of a predator
    ?

That's why Scotts idea is so clever. He can make them look like whatever he wants and breathe fresh live into the genre. I just hope he doesn't go overboard and we end up with Terminator Salvation scenario!

Paleface wrote: »
    Yes the Alien takes characteristics from is hosts. Ripley even alludes to this in Alien 3. I think her line is something like "I've never seen one like this before. It moves differently".

Also doesn't AVP end with
    a predator looking alien popping out of the chest of a predator
    ?

That's why Scotts idea is so clever. He can make them look like whatever he wants and breathe fresh live into the genre. I just hope he doesn't go overboard and we end up with Terminator Salvation scenario!

Yep this is what made me ask the question :)

Also in relation to your spoiler, I actually thought they did that to ham up the movie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Also in relation to your spoiler, I actually thought they did that to ham up the movie :pac:

Well I laughed so if that was their desired effect it worked! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, who wants to place bets on a 12A rated Aliens movie? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Well, who wants to place bets on a 12A rated Aliens movie? :pac:

I'm thinking 15PG. The likes of Land of the Dead and Centurion had buckets o' blood and got that rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

I read somewhere that the story was: Space Jockeys and another race were in a war and one of them started to breed aliens as weapons (against the other race). Of course they went berserk and killed their creators. They implanted last queen burster on the ship of the Jockey, it went out, killed the SJ, layd the eggs and died. Queen has a lifespan of 200 years, egg has 100. (No idea how they survived, but Aliens can go into a hybernation state while in a Hive and last like that for ages) The Jockey managed to turn on the warning signal.
    It said that Aliens were designed to be killing machines (no surprise) adapting quickly to any situation or environment and stealing DNA from their hosts. Aliens have only few muscles and an organ that can transform air-like gases into the jelly (from their mouth) and produce heat as a side effect. (in the movie they breathe heavily). It said that Aliens barely eat, and they prefer to cocoon their victims. It's true their lifespan is short but they evolve and mature very quickly, so they prefer to create new Aliens insted of prolonging their lifespan by eating.
    Another thing I read was that the Company (Carter Burke was the employee) tried to get hold of the Aliens before and that the Nostromo's whole journey was planned. The Company tried several times but didn't succeed.
    I read as well that it wasn't the first time humans came across Aliens.
    The blue mist above the eggs in the Breeding Chamber (Queen long dead) wasn't to protect the eggs, but to wake them up from the hybernation if disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

mantys wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the story was: Space Jockeys and another race were in a war and one of them started to breed aliens as weapons (against the other race). Of course they went berserk and killed their creators. They implanted last queen burster on the ship of the Jockey, it went out, killed the SJ, layd the eggs and died. Queen has a lifespan of 200 years, egg has 100. (No idea how they survived, but Aliens can go into a hybernation state while in a Hive and last like that for ages) The Jockey managed to turn on the warning signal.
    It said that Aliens were designed to be killing machines (no surprise) adapting quickly to any situation or environment and stealing DNA from their hosts. Aliens have only few muscles and an organ that can transform air-like gases into the jelly (from their mouth) and produce heat as a side effect. (in the movie they breathe heavily). It said that Aliens barely eat, and they prefer to cocoon their victims. It's true their lifespan is short but they evolve and mature very quickly, so they prefer to create new Aliens insted of prolonging their lifespan by eating.
    Another thing I read was that the Company (Carter Burke was the employee) tried to get hold of the Aliens before and that the Nostromo's whole journey was planned. The Company tried several times but didn't succeed.
    I read as well that it wasn't the first time humans came across Aliens.
    The blue mist above the eggs in the Breeding Chamber (Queen long dead) wasn't to protect the eggs, but to wake them up from the hybernation if disturbed.

Its too easy to disregard posts from people with low post counts or bad grammer.

But that was a fantastic read and sounds the most plausible. I got reading up on this myself and the most interesting "theory" was the predators at war with this "space jockey" race, and the Aliens were developed by the SJ to fend off the increasing predator onslaught.

The aliens became the predators fiercest enemy and is why they are chosen as the hunting prey for the right of passage ( its also interesting to see the aliens are in a way able to counter most of the predators technology, vision and skills, coincidental natural occurance or engineered? )

Its fascinating **** to read up about, but its got me looking forward to the film, and im going to watch the original alien tonight, since i only watched it once, then fell in love with Aliens.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Its too easy to disregard posts from people with low post counts or bad grammer.

But that was a fantastic read and sounds the most plausible. I got reading up on this myself and the most interesting "theory" was the predators at war with this "space jockey" race, and the Aliens were developed by the SJ to fend off the increasing predator onslaught.

The aliens became the predators fiercest enemy and is why they are chosen as the hunting prey for the right of passage ( its also interesting to see the aliens are in a way able to counter most of the predators technology, vision and skills, coincidental natural occurance or engineered? )

Its fascinating **** to read up about, but its got me looking forward to the film, and im going to watch the original alien tonight, since i only watched it once, then fell in love with Aliens.

That is very very plausible i think and could be a good angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I think that Aliens and Predators need to be completely separated for either franchise to survive.

I really love Alien though, I watched it on Bluray the other night and it has held up extremely well for a movie that is 31 years old with an excellent set/effects and atmosphere that is utterly terrifying. I have real hope for the prequel as long as it isn't too reliant on CGI and sticks to the same formula as the original Alien movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I thought it was a security beam? A sort of high tech yellow line warning the person that they are close to the object that will severly hurt them

It reacts whenever he crossess it letting off a high pitch whine. It was continuation of the theme that everything they look at as wonderous exploration is actually a warning saying *STAY THE F*CK AWAY!* (continuing on from the signal and sj corpse)

Raekwon wrote: »
    I think that Aliens and Predators need to be completely separated for either franchise to survive.

I really love Alien though, I watched it on Bluray the other night and it has held up extremely well for a movie that is 31 years old with an excellent set/effects and atmosphere that is utterly terrifying. I have real hope for the prequel as long as it isn't too reliant on CGI and sticks to the same formula as the original Alien movie.

You managed to watch Alien on Blu Ray even though they have yet to release it on the format?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

The first two films are brilliant, not holding out much hope for this one but will still have to see it! It's a good excuse to watch the old ones again to set the mood!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Im actually quite tempted to run some sort of 'design your own alien for the prequels' competition for the Film Forum...

please do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

is Alien available on european BluRay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

You managed to watch Alien on Blu Ray even though they have yet to release it on the format?

Oops my bad, I meant that I steamed the 1080p Directors Cut version so it was pretty much BluRay quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Any film involving Ridley Scott is bound to be awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Oops my bad, I meant that I steamed the 1080p Directors Cut version so it was pretty much BluRay quality.

Ah ! I have this myself ! ;)

can't locate the Aliens one though....

Advertisement