Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    How about Aliens -v- Dinosaurs, who'd win there Galva? :pac:

Acid blood FTW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It gave us a mighty fine PC game though, I loved that game. :D
    Perhaps, but having spent money on the latest, crappy, installment of the games, I'm not so sure 1 good game was a fair trade.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I'm not going to lie, I liked Aliens vs Predator but I loved Aliens vs Predator 2. I can just see in my head the scriptwriters of that hitting each other a hi 5 when they'd finished and screaming at the top of their lungs 'Take that Shakespeare.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 somuj_2

I'm not going to lie, I liked Aliens vs Predator but I loved Aliens vs Predator 2. I can just see in my head the scriptwriters of that hitting each other a hi 5 when they'd finished and screaming at the top of their lungs 'Take that Shakespeare.'

Even though the Predator got next to no screen time at all. It should have been called Aliens vs small town humans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    Isn't that the plot behind the aforementioned AvP stories? That the xenomorphs were engineered to be "the perfect prey"?

I don't think so. I think it's more a case of the predators finding the aliens and realising that they would be fun to hunt (there's wasn't much on tv that day). So they farm them.

I have a couple of the Aliens comics and there's one, I think called "Outbreak", where the marines go to the alien homeworld and find that they're not top of the food chain and that there's loads of other beasties that eat them. It was a bit sh*t because, as said above, the aliens are scary because you don't know anything about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

somuj_2 wrote: »
    Even though the Predator got next to no screen time at all. It should have been called Aliens vs small town humans

I agree with you sir, I thought they were total kak, I was being sarcastic. Predator not getting enough screen time was the least of those films problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

leaked still from the next Alien vs Predator :eek:

3381552452_f57e7f489a_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Well he has confirmed the next film will explain the origins of the "Space Jockey" from the first film.
    Some character saying to the audience:
    "HR Giger's a superfreak!"? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 somuj_2

L31mr0d wrote: »
    leaked still from the next Alien vs Predator :eek:

dat jst became my new wallpaper :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

Of course, remember kids; if you want to blame anyone for the AvP crossover, blame Predator 2. Thanks to a throwaway Easter Egg featuring an Alien's skull in the Predator's trophy room, we now suffer those bloody crossover stories & godawful movies.

It's a nod to the comic. Blame Fox for not listening to Weaver saying it sounds awful. ;) Though I put it down to execution and zero faith in the audience being able to handle something with more depth.
    Isn't that the plot behind the aforementioned AvP stories? That the xenomorphs were engineered to be "the perfect prey"?

The predators just use people to breed the xenomorph to hunt as part of their rite of passage in the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Here's what Ridley Scott had to say recently about the Alien Prequel
    MTV wrote:
    On Thursday (April 22), we caught up with the "Robin Hood" director to speak with him for next week's MTV Summer Movie Preview. And when he mentioned that he was feasting his eyes upon the latest "Untitled 'Alien' Prequel" script pages, we couldn't help but ask some questions.

What followed might be the most revealing interview Sir Ridley has given thus far on the top-secret project. Read on for exclusive details concerning the prequel's plot, creature design and the woman — not named Sigourney Weaver — who will soon be kicking alien ass:

MTV: We're very excited about your return to the "Aliens" world — what's going on with it at this point?

Ridley Scott: As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft. It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film.

MTV Imagines The Kick-Ass Stars Of An 'Alien' Prequel

MTV: Awesome.

Scott: Now it's a matter of, how good can I get the screenplay in the next few weeks so I can get a good ballpark figure of what it will cost. I've already got people working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.

MTV: Since this is a prequel, will you need to make the ships more primitive-looking than in "Alien"?

Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?

MTV: Of course.

Scott: And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

MTV: And is the Weyland-Yutani company in existence at this point?

Scott: It's Weyland. Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

MTV: We know how obsessive "Alien" fans can get. Are you going to make a film that doesn't require having seen any of the other movies?

Scott: Totally. Yes. [People will still get it], because there's a lot of copying, dude.

MTV: There's a lot of copying of your movies.

Scott: There's a lot of homage. Is that the polite word? Homage? I call it something else. [Laughs.]

MTV: Will Sigourney Weaver have any participation at all?

Scott: It will be before she was born!

MTV: So not even a voice-over, explaining things? Nothing?

Scott: Well, the main character [in the prequel] will be a woman, yeah. We're thinking it could go down that route, yeah. When I started the original "Alien," Ripley wasn't a woman, it was a guy. During casting, we thought, "Why don't we make it a woman?"

MTV: So will you be creating new aliens for your prequel?

Scott: What you have to do is — were there four or five "Alien" films? I can't remember how many followed.

MTV: There were three after you, then the "Alien vs. Predator" nonsense.

Scott: Yeah, the thing about "Alien vs. Predator" is, I know it's commerce, but what a pity. I think, therefore, I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger.

MTV: OK.

Scott: I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out.

MTV: Will you consult the original alien designer, H.R. Giger, on these ideas?

Scott: Yeah, he's still around. Once I get more serious and get going, and the big wheels start turning, we'll certainly talk. And maybe we'll come up with something completely different.

MTV: In your mind, when do cameras begin rolling on the film?

Scott: We're hoping to have it in theaters in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.

MTV: Have you given any thought on how you'll feel when you walk on set that first time, how you'll deal with the déjà vu from 1979?

Scott: Yeah, it'll be weird, because I always said I'll never do a sequel. [Laughs.]

MTV: What made you change your mind?

Scott: Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh.

I still don't want to know who the Space Jockey is, leave him alone.

Hmm, I do like the idea of teaming up H.R. Giger to reinvent the species, though....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont want a Space Jockey origin either, I always loved that in a franchise with 4 main movies and 2 spinoffs there hasnt been an attempt to explore it, its one of cinemas greatest mysteries, along with what the aliens are themselves, are they a weapon or some experiment that got out of hand or just a race that was discovered or used to destroy planets. Scott and Giger going back to the franchise is awesome, keep Paul cockface Anderson as far away from it as possible, dont even let him on the set in case his surpeme sh1ttyness rubs off on someone and pollutes the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

krudler wrote: »
    I dont want a Space Jockey origin either,

This will be as bad as Qui Gon Jinn explaining the force in The Phantom Menace!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    keep Paul cockface Anderson as far away from it as possible.

He's playing the Space Jockey. My movie, my rules. ;)

I've said it before (I think) but I don't particularly want to see

Alien-The_Space_Jockey.png

moving around. It's almost the elephant in the room.

Course, the film could turn out to be brilliant and reinvigorate the franchise but my mind defaults to expectations of naff CGI and too much explanation. I'd hate to find out that the xenomorph is anything other than a species just surviving. It's why I don't care about the alien homeworld "Xenomorph Prime". In my mind it's just a big termite mound that is so unimportant to what the xenomorph is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Here's what Ridley Scott had to say recently about the Alien Prequel

I still don't want to know who the Space Jockey is, leave him alone.

Hmm, I do like the idea of teaming up H.R. Giger to reinvent the species, though....

Aye, I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic at the idea of the prequel, but this quote gives me heart:

Scott: Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh.

This and other comments in the interview do suggest that Scott is taking back the franchise, and taking it seriously: it reads to me like he's as sick as the rest of us of the vomituously bad sequels & wants to take the reigns from the studio, or at least from the AvP direction. And surely that's something we can all agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Well the best thing about that interview is that they aren't stuck with a set release date, meaning they have time to work on it and perfect it before agreeing to a release, rather than trying to write/shoot/edit it all at the same time to make a holiday release or some other bullsh1t.

Not overly sold on the idea of exploring the origins of the space jockey and having a female lead will only draw direct comparisons with Sigorney - I'd rather a different perspective this time... ie. a male lead. Still I await this with bated breath

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm not sure about the Space Joceky either. I like the mystery of it all. That said, if they can get Giger on board it's gonna look fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the Space Joceky either. I like the mystery of it all.
    Me three. I have no confidence in another Alien movie being any good, no matter who's involved. I'll wait patiently for positive reviews before even thinking about watching it.
    That said, if they can get Giger on board it's gonna look fantastic!
    He's 70; does he even still work? Anyway, the basic visual themes are established from the previous movies, and while there would no doubt be some scope for originality, I don't know if you could tempt someone like that with the prospect of just iterating on previous work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The first two movies are two of the greatest pieces of art ever committed to the silver screen. I don't care who's involved in this movie, it will stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ridley Scott is my favourite director and Alien is one of my all time favourite films.
    I would have had some hope for this one, certainly would have thought that it will easily be better than 3 &4.
    But then I saw that the film is going to be in 3D and I think 3D is the devil.

http://www.collider.com/2010/04/23/ridley-scott-confirms-alien-prequel-will-be-shot-in-3d/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It can only be good that Scott will be directing this. 'Aliens' was my favourite though. I think the universe lends itself well to a high quality action film. Will this be a slowly paced, talky, suspence horror like the first? Im not sure if thats what I want to see. A blend of 1 & 2 would be great. Ratcheting up lots of tension, one or two jump out the seat moments, but with plently of running and gunning too.

I suppose a prequel exploring the origins of the Alien universe was always going to be the way it would play out. All big franchises seem to be going back to the beginning in order to squeeze more juice out of a well worn concept. Theres hope with Scott and Giger involved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It will be interesting and fresh to eliminate the human factor. Having the space jockey's race -v- xenomorphs will lead to an interesting new dynamic. For example, how does the xenomorph change after using a space jockey as its host rather than a human?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I wonder what Scott thinks of Aliens.

Also, seems a mite trite saying people copied him when he has self-plagiarised (hello Gladiator I mean Robin Hood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

God, half of me is like a 12 year old wetting himself in anticipation and the other half is a 35 years crapping himself in dread.
    I hope that this will be godly and a return to the form of the first two films,however it is done.

It was a tradagy that the series of films went the way it did, I remember watching Aliens 3 and in the first 5 mins getting a sinking feeling (wtf- kill Hicks???)

How such a stellar idea has been killed to death over the years has really made me sick.

If I could say anything to the Ridely and the makers is do it for love passion and the art not €€€€€€€€€€€

btw- Im kinda not wanting to know Space Jocky story. When Kane found him, that never left me...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jelly 292 wrote: »
    God, half of me is like a 12 year old wetting himself in anticipation and the other half is a 35 years crapping himself in dread.
    I hope that this will be godly and a return to the form of the first two films,however it is done.

It was a tradagy that the series of films went the way it did, I remember watching Aliens 3 and in the first 5 mins getting a sinking feeling (wtf- kill Hicks???)

How such a stellar idea has been killed to death over the years has really made me sick.

If I could say anything to the Ridely and the makers is do it for love passion and the art not €€€€€€€€€€€

btw- Im kinda not wanting to know Space Jocky story. When Kane found him, that never left me...

That first reveal and the score creeped me out big time when I first saw it, especially the shriek of the violins/cellos (whatever they were) as the camera pulls back, awesome score by Goldsmith

I loved how Scott put a few kids in the spacesuits to make the scale of the set bigger, you can kinda tell now by their movement if you watch closely but it still a friggin awesome scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The size of that thing, I wonder whether it would be feasible to introduce such a large race and revolve a film around them.

The size of that thing, I wonder whether it would be feasible to introduce such a large race and revolve a film around them.
    Maybe the Space Jockey was something like the Pilots from the Farscape series: Aliens symbiotically linked with a living ship that interface with its systems, pilot it, etc. The derelict on LV-426 did look quite organic in the first place, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to suggest this. It still maintains a sense of mystery & the macabre to the Space Jockey and does fit within the generally dark tone of the Alien universe.

It also means as a film-maker you only have to shoot for one of them, rather than populating a whole crew with giant alien elephants :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Spacejockey is one of movies last mysteries. Best to leave it that way IMO. I always remember when watching Alien, trying to work out what they would have looked like. Dont want that revealed. Sorry Ridley, you're a top director but dont.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yeah, Scott's presence is great, but I don't want to know about the Space Jockey. The mystery of the derelict ship in Alien is one of cinema's greats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What I always loved about the xenomorphs was that we had no idea where they came from, as far as we knew they had no home planet. That ship was the earliest we could say where they came from, and that in itself is a mystery.

The fact that they're like insects and can survive anywhere creeps me out.

Unless the story is very, very good I can't see this being game-changing in relation to the franchise. But, hey, at least Scott will keep the effects to a minimum and it can't be much worse than Alien Ressurection, can it? (we'll forget about the last 2)

I think Scott should have a male protagionist, unless it's Sigourney don't bother trodding down a well-worn route (though you could imagine some femi-nazis kicking up a stink :pac:). Introducing some new variations to the species will be interesting, though.

Advertisement