Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not something I'm really interested in, but it might keep him away from Monopoly. Plus, at least he's not a hack or self-proclaimed 'fan' and can actually direct.

Unless of course we end up with Alien vs Monopoly.

"Go to jail, you bitch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I hear they're re-making BTTF in 2010.
    I believe that was an April's fool :) Back To The Future IV doesn't seem likely, thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    funnily enough for the most part thats been assumption by filmmakers. It was never confirmed where the runner alien came from (the facehugger we are talking about) because in the film only one facehugger was seen and originally it was meant to be a special kind of facehugger (much larger) which laid two eggs one for the queen and one for a protector alien. But that all ended up on the cutting floor

It was then pretty much accepted that its a runner alien because it came from a dog/cow (again depends which version) and the industry has run with it since. But some designs of the new alien (from Giger) had it designed like a panther etc.

its an interesting topic left over from the nightmare that was the alien 3 production.

God no, the avp alien design was awful, they shrunk them down to the size of large dogs and had the design completely wrong, it was awful.

In other words I have nothing and am making an educated guess on a pitch that Scott and Cameron were rumoured to have made about going to the alien homeworld.

I know towards the end alot of people disliked Weaver and the Ripley character, but she's a strong character which it has shown that without her the franchise suffers (both AVP films had woeful leads) and doing a prequel with a new lead character will really make or break it if they cant find a decent substitute.

What i wanna see is that whale alien they spoke of in some marine book. Whalian. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm really looking forward to this movie. The idea of a prequel is interesting for one reason, the fact that humans have to be involved in some way.

The story would have to tell the story of how the Company found out about the Aliens without actually managing to get their hands on them. It is through this that Scott could give the Aliens a more detailed back-story.

I personally think the original alien design is still by far the best one and hope they keep it to that as much as possible. CGI has, in many ways, ruined them as terrifying monsters. There was just something so raw and natural about the original design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I'm a huge fan of the Aliens, Predator and AVP films. With Scott directing, this should be a fantastic flick I think. I look forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nerin wrote: »
    What i wanna see is that whale alien they spoke of in some marine book. Whalian. :p

I want (in my hypothetical Aliens at the Zoo film) an elephant alien. Imagine the killing tongue on teh end of a trunk! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Teaser poster is up...

ashley-tisdale-aliens-attic.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The new Alien movie - Alien Harvest, as it is known in its script form - has seen its script, by writer Jon Spaihts, leaked on the internet. The script - a character-driven film set a few years before the original Alien film - is currently in pre-production with Ridley Scott is the director's chair. To read the script follow this link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4083772/24549638-Alien-Harvest.pdf

Havent read it myself yet, but will probably give it a shot tomorrow.

Sorry in advance if this breaks any forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Meh, these "leaked" scripts are usually balony and rarely represent the film itself.

It's still very early for Scott to do any work with the new Alien film as he's still working (probably done now) on the new Robin Hood movie and he'll be spending a few months promoting the film too.

Still, can't wait to see what he does with the Alien franchise. More than likely it won't be a brain-dead actioner............or could it? :eek:

• Advertisement

Half way through the script now, i dont think it would be the film. Theres even a gay sex scene in here lol.

Half way through the script now, i dont think it would be the film. Theres even a gay sex scene in here lol.

I know, I'm looking through it too. This is well fake, just some fanboy's script renamed to get it some coverage / throw scent off / attract interest in the film, etc.

Interesting to see how Scott handles this "prequel". After Aliens there wasn't too much more you could do with the franchise but after the brutal past few films it's nice to see the original guy return to the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I know, I'm looking through it too. This is well fake, just some fanboy's script renamed to get it some coverage / throw scent off / attract interest in the film, etc.

Interesting to see how Scott handles this "prequel". After Aliens there wasn't too much more you could do with the franchise but after the brutal past few films it's nice to see the original guy return to the helm.

Ah bollox, i printed it off, put it into a binder and stuck it on Ebay for $199.99 :rolleyes::rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Who cares.
    The whole Aliens thing used to mean something to me up until that abomination alien resurrection was unleashed in 97. I went to see it in the cinema & unfortunately my worst fears came true. Utter utter tripe followed by more & more detached & just plain silly sequels.

Whats next? Aliens vs KingKong?.....the aliens inexplicably travel to skull island to take on a huge 50ft rampaging gorilla....for some reason.

The 3rd Aliens film should have been an end to the whole thing.

Well he has confirmed the next film will explain the origins of the "Space Jockey" from the first film.

Personnaly i cant wait.

Who cares.
    The whole Aliens thing used to mean something to me up until that abomination alien resurrection was unleashed in 97.

The 3rd Aliens film should have been an end to the whole thing.

Amen to that, one of my favourite characters / high-cailber movies degraded to such tripe.

Still, until I heard Scott was officaly confirmed to helm this (and not just produce) my interest and hopes have raised a bit.

Until then, we'll have to make to with the new Predators movie..................however that will turn out. If it's better than Predator 2 then I'm happy.........but it's just another film you can't have without Arnie :(
    Well he has confirmed the next film will explain the origins of the "Space Jockey" from the first film.
    He also mentioned that it'll be somewhere set 30 years before the 1st movie, which this script isn't.

Duggy747 wrote: »

Still, until I heard Scott was officaly confirmed to helm this (and not just produce) my interest and hopes have raised a bit.

Well ok because he's apparently going to be involved in the whole thing then i suppose i am a little curious to see what it'll be like.

To be honest im shocked that he would have anything to do with it. Look at some of the rubbish that has been spawned from his 1979 masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

Whats next? Aliens vs KingKong?.....the aliens inexplicably travel to skull island to take on a huge 50ft rampaging gorilla....for some reason.

avpvt4.jpg

glvsal1.jpg

saltpb.jpg

12563.jpg

WildCATS_Aliens_cover.jpg

bal2.jpg

Superman_%26_Batman_vs._Aliens_%26_Predator_-_cover.jpg

Although I haven't read them. They could be brilliant explorations of the characters for all I know. Apparently the second Batman volume is a great gothic Batman story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Personnaly i cant wait.

Oh god, I'm so conflicted about this movie, and the above post is part of the conflict. On the one hand, the idea of a past director revisiting the franchise to re-attach its spirit (and balls) has me excited - even if its Ridley Scott on autopilot, it couldn't be any worse than the gory, snuff movie that was AvP:Requim (where the age cert was the maximum, not the minimum recommended age).

On the other hand though, I don't like it when directors, or a franchise in general, decides to strip away all the remaining mystery with prequels or back story. The ghost ship on LV-426 for me is a mystery box that should never be opened. Who cares what or who the Space Jockey was; will any revelation by Scott really match up to the ones concocted in our minds eye when we first saw that nightmarish ship? Having seen the mystery explained in glorious techicolour, will we still have goosebumps when we see that hoseshoe-shaped derelict loom out of the fog?

Let me summarise it differently with one word; midichlorians.

In fairness & on balance, it could be a good opporunity to reboot the franchise, and Scott's potentially the right man to do it. If nothing else he doesn't have the mental age of a deranged teenager; the funny thing about the AvP movies is that they made me reassess Ressurection. I suddenly looked past all its flaws - and the fact that the Aliens didn't make the right squeeling noise damnit - and decided that it still wasn't as bad as AvP:Requim.

pixelburp wrote: »
    On the other hand though, I don't like it when directors, or a franchise in general, decides to strip away all the remaining mystery with prequels or back story. The ghost ship on LV-426 for me is a mystery box that should never be opened. Who cares what or who the Space Jockey was; will any revelation by Scott really match up to the ones concocted in our minds eye when we first saw that nightmarish ship? Having seen the mystery explained in glorious techicolour, will we still have goosebumps when we see that hoseshoe-shaped derelict loom out of the fog?

I don't even have any backstory in my head for the Space Jockey. It doesn't need one, it's just a prop for getting the xenomorph on the Nostromo. A good skeleton prop. I don't want to see a space elephant walking around since I don't think it can be done without looking like a space elephant.

Don't care to see the xenomorph homeworld either. Planet of the termites is irrelevant to the monster in my view. Though worse would be that the xenomorph was created artificially.

• Advertisement

TBH the more we learn about their back story the less scary/intimidating the aliens become. The mystery is half the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Aliens vs Brokeback Mountain

Galiens surely? :pac:

Well i read the whole script last night and that title would pretty much some it up.

Its Brokeback Mountain with a Cat-Alien thrown into the mix.

Aliens vs predator vs superman vs batman vs chewbacca vs Gail from coronation street vs Jack Dawson(from Titanic) vs the police academy gang.

Honestly if your into comic books thats fine, i would have a passing interest myself but some things are better left as comic books.

The Aliens phenomena has become unrecognizable to me. Its turned into a CGI gore-fest, no more original than the recent deluge of zombie movies being churned out.

So while we're making a mockery of a once great franchise, can Hollywood do me a favour and make my movie about what happens when a bunch of face huggers go to the zoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

How about Aliens -v- Dinosaurs, who'd win there Galva? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course, remember kids; if you want to blame anyone for the AvP crossover, blame Predator 2. Thanks to a throwaway Easter Egg featuring an Alien's skull in the Predator's trophy room, we now suffer those bloody crossover stories & godawful movies.
    Ridley wrote: »
    I don't even have any backstory in my head for the Space Jockey. It doesn't need one, it's just a prop for getting the xenomorph on the Nostromo. A good skeleton prop. I don't want to see a space elephant walking around since I don't think it can be done without looking like a space elephant.

Well that's what I mean; whether you imagine it as just a prop or something more colourful, it's left to the viewer to fill in the gaps & use their imagination, which is a far more powerful tool for imbuing fear & atmosphere than a tell-all backstory.
    Ridley wrote: »
    Don't care to see the xenomorph homeworld either. Planet of the termites is irrelevant to the monster in my view. Though worse would be that the xenomorph was created artificially.

Isn't that the plot behind the aforementioned AvP stories? That the xenomorphs were engineered to be "the perfect prey"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It gave us a mighty fine PC game though, I loved that game. :D

• Advertisement

Well i think thats what the back story of the "Jockey" will be. They created the Alien as a bio weapon to attack worlds so they then could take them over.

I cant but help in drawing similarity's between Aliens and Tyranids of the warhammer universe.

Advertisement