Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hmmm Its scott and giger duo again so this has to be good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe the Space Jockey was something like the Pilots from the Farscape series: Aliens symbiotically linked with a living ship that interface with its systems, pilot it, etc. The derelict on LV-426 did look quite organic in the first place, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to suggest this.

That's always been my interpretation of the Space Jockey. To me the 'trunk' looks like a hose that connects him to the ship. He also appears to be one with the chair he is sitting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

fluke wrote: »

Very interesting. And I want to say that I hope Scott actually does this properly and not just for the $$$$$$.

Having read fanfiction and sites re the space jockey, there are a number of angles from which to approach it, but I'd rather it left alone and just be a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

sounds like a load of boring crap to me, should have just made an interesting sequel retconning everything post 'aliens'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

indough wrote: »
    sounds like a load of boring crap to me, should have just made an interesting sequel retconning everything post 'aliens'

yeah that'd be more in line with what I'd favour alright!

actually i wouldnt even mind if they kept alien 3 as canon and continued the story without ripley as the protaganist (as they were supposed to do with alien 3 itself as far as i know)

ideally what i would like to see is a small scale infection of earth by the bugs (by small scale i mean one area of earth being affected so the story doesnt get carried away with itself), sort of like avp2 except not terrible, and perhaps borrowing the idea from resurrection that earth is already a bit of a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's always been my interpretation of the Space Jockey. To me the 'trunk' looks like a hose that connects him to the ship. He also appears to be one with the chair he is sitting in.

Yeah I always thought of the chair as sort of a life support system for the jockey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post

Yeah I always thought of the chair as sort of a life support system for the jockey

Im pretty sure , when I read the books in the 80's that that was so, the jocky was part of the ship and how he controlled it. His head aint right any how!

I mean, the first human contact was in Alien, so it would be odd to have humans mixing it up with space jockys??

I think, I hope, It will be good because, jaysus, look at this thread, I think what we have talked about Ridly/Giger/brainstormers etc will have had the same conversations many times as us in piecing it together.
    I mean the they cant be coming back for the money so as a deeep deep deep alien/aliens fan I get the vibe that they want to rescue these godly 2 films from the aftermath.

I read an interview with Cameron that this is what he wanted, earth invasion sequal to aliens, untill he saw the Avp stuff and he thought the whole thing had been undermined (correct)

But ffs, this is Ridley.

If anyone can do it this is that man. God I think Im feeling emotional about the possibilities....

Wasn't there a teaser poster back in the day for an abandoned Alien3 concept depicting an alien looking down over a Blade Runner esque city with the tagline, "On Earth They Will Hear You Scream" or have I gone bonkers? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wasn't there a teaser poster back in the day for an abandoned Alien3 concept depicting an alien looking down over a Blade Runner esque city with the tagline, "On Earth They Will Hear You Scream" or have I gone bonkers? :confused:

Can't find anything but it wouldn't surprise me, that film never stood a chance because of the butcher job done in production.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Can't find anything but it wouldn't surprise me, that film never stood a chance because of the butcher job done in production.
    Wasn't the original version of that supposed to be set on a wooden spaceship full of monks or something along those lines?

I never thought Alien 3 was as bad as people made out; as good as the first two, hell no, but it still managed to drip atmosphere and malevolence. And at this point I'd bite the hand of anyone offering another Alien 3 over, say, another AvP.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wasn't the original version of that supposed to be set on a wooden spaceship full of monks or something along those lines?

I never thought Alien 3 was as bad as people made out; as good as the first two, hell no, but it still managed to drip atmosphere and malevolence. And at this point I'd bite the hand of anyone offering another Alien 3 over, say, another AvP.

From Wiki;
    The story by Vincent Ward[11] and the screenplay with co-writer John Fasano had Ripley's escape pod crash landing on a monastery-like satellite, which had parts of its interior, both, wooden and archaic in design.

A former Londer Times journalist had it amongst a list he compiled of ‘The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made’.

I also don't think Alien 3 is as bad as some suggest. However I don't like the feel and look of it, it's too much of a departure from the first 2. Alien Resurrection was pretty poor but it at least somewhat regained the feel and look of an Alien film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I wonder what happened to the alien that emerged from the space jockey. Considering the jockeys size, it must have been huge, a super queen perhaps that laid all those eggs Kane found?

I'm dubious about a prequel to Alien. It'd more fitting to do a proper sequel to Aliens and we can pretend Alien 3 & 4 were bad hypersleep dreams.

I think Alien 3 was pretty poor alright, the terrible b-grade actors (being generous there) put me off it first and foremost, then there was the killing off of certain characters which proved so controversial both because of their previous importance and the way it was done

also I got the impression the director just wanted to get it finished with all the hassle it involved, and perhaps ended it the way he did just to say a big **** you to the studio

i mean it was okay when you compare it to the even cruddier films that came after but they are hardly great yardsticks to compare against

its a shame really because going by the workprint it could have been a superior film, although maybe a bit bleak for some fans of the series i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Just a little bit about the Space Jockey. I remembered hearing Scott talk about him before and referred to him as being a pilot that was using the Alien eggs as a type of bomb, so went off and sure enough found the following on wiki about references and appearances by the Jockey in the comics and games. Christ knows if any of these things will be used in the movie but at least it allows for at least a year of arguments and speculation,lol.
    Scott suggests in his Alien DVD commentary that the Jockey's ship was a "bomber": alien eggs could be dropped on an enemy planet, and the aliens would proceed to kill the population as they spawned. According to Cameron, the Space Jockey's craft picked up alien eggs and the pilot became infected by the dangerous cargo; the ship landed on LV-426 and the Space Jockey transmitted the signal as a warning.[1] John Mollo and Ron Cobb's "The Alien Portfolio" and Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien state the Space Jockey encountered the aliens on LV-426.

In Foster's Alien novelization, Ash describes the Space Jockey's race as a noble people and hopes that mankind will encounter them under more pleasant circumstances. It also states that they were larger, stronger and possibly more intelligent than humans. Foster's novelization states that the Jockey was trying to warn humans away from the aliens.
    [edit] Other appearances

In Steve Perry's Earth Hive, the Space Jockey's race are referred to as collectors because they collect Xenomorph eggs. In Michael Jan Friedman's Aliens: Original Sin, the race is referred to as the Mala'kak. According to the comic book The Destroying Angels, the Aliens caused the species to become extinct 1.6 million years ago.

Mark Verheiden's Aliens graphic novel depict the Space Jockey's race as malevolent; they refrain from attacking humans due to their immense hatred of their common enemy, the Xenomorphs, but they intend to wipe out and/or enslave humanity once their war with the Xenomorphs is over. In the series, a Space Jockey-like creature communicates telepathically with humans.

The Space Jockey makes appearances in two of the PC games as well. In the original Aliens versus Predator, it appears in Derelict, which serves as the map for both the first Marine mission and the second Alien bonus mission. Both species start at opposite ends, with the Marine encountering the Space Jockey's remains toward the end of his mission while the Alien passes them at the beginning. Aliens versus Predator 2 involves an experimental lab built on the species' artifacts and technology. At the end of the marine campaign, the player fights a Queen Alien in a large room with a Space Jockey in the center.

In the film Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007), a skull resembling the Space Jockey's appears briefly in a scene in the trophy room of the Predator ship, as a reference to the original Alien.[3]
    They are thought by some to be the creators of the Xenomorphs. They call themselves Mala'kak and are sometimes referred to as Pilots. The pilots also collected queens to avoid venturing deeper into alien territory but queens overtime got smarter and overwhelmed their tamers. This has been proven in some AVP comics where space jockey corpses can be seen on their crashed ships.

Another theory, is that the Space Jockey in the derelict spacecraft had escaped from its homeworld which had been overrun with xenomorphs and the creature itself had been infected with a xenomorph. In which case, the derelict crash-landed on the planet. This doesn't explain however how the alien eggs were in the cargo hold.
    In the film "Alien vs Predator", it's shown that the Predators breed xenomorphs for hunting purposes. In AvP:R, a Space Jockey skull is shown in a Predator trophy room, confirming that the Yuatja have had prior contact with the Space Jockeys.
    A Space Jockey skull in the Predator trophy room.
    One theory is that the Predators could have been responsible for the derelict crashing on LV-426. Another is that the Space Jockeys were supplying the Xenomorphs to the Predators. Other theories suggest that the Yuatja and the Space Jockeys were at war, and that the Space Jockeys had engineered the Xenomorphs for the purpose of killing the Predators.

Pilots also may have used them for strategic and biological warfare, in which the eggs would be left on the planet then kill the inhabitants. Pilots would then administer a drug into the air and kill the xenomorphs, then taking the planet for themselves. It is possible that the space jockey in "Alien" was attacked by a hatched facehugger and landed to stop unwanted contamination, sending the S.O.S, hoping more Pilots were close enough in range so they could kill the embryo. The warning reaches Ripley's ship and they go to the source of the distress signal.
    Space Jockey seen in the comic "Aliens Apoclypse: Destroying Angels"
    A brief mention to a Space Jockey was seen in an AVP comic where a Space Jockey ship is seen above the Xenomorph homeworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I must be going bonkers too because I thought of something similar but for Alien Resurrection.

There was defo some unused concept involving Earth though. I remember after first seeing Aliens spending lots of time imagining what would happen on Earth if there was a large scale Xenomorph outbreak.

Then spending just as much time trying to figure out what they would look like if they came out of various different animals. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Then spending just as much time trying to figure out what they would look like if they came out of various different animals. :D

Alien 5: Day Out At The Zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I liked Alien 3 for its return to the horror genre that the first movie did so well. It was David Fincher who directed it and I don't think he was at fault really for any of the movies weaker points. That has to go to the writers.

Scott will make the prequels and they will more than likely be good in their own context. They definitely won't be cheesy.

I have two minor concerns.

Shooting it in 3D. WHY??? Seriously when will this 3D craze die out? It isn't really any better that what it was back in the day and it doesn't add much to the films in my view.

Scott will shed life into a completely dead franchise for some other hack to come along and completely butcher once more. They will try for the earth invasion and just get it all wrong!!

modern 3d isnt comparable to the 3d we saw in movies like jaws, completely different quality

cant see it disappearing the way it did before, its no longer only a gimmick and seems to be the emerging standard for movies, this will only become more so over time as we see technology like 3dtv's becoming standard and coming down in price

pretty sure most of what we saw in alien 3 was written by fincher as well, i had heard he had to constantly rewrite whilst making the movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I wasn't found of Alien 3 when I first saw it yonks ago, it didn't make much sense. (Why was the nuts prisoner fascinated with it, that explanation was cut out in the theatrical version)

A few years later I saw the Director's Cut and that was faaaar superior. I class that as the real Alien 3.

Fincher was being fùcked about by Fox, they kept wanted changes here and there (to the point where Fincher would grab a camera and him & Sigourney would disappear alone in the factory to film some scenes - notably the scene where Ripley searches for the Alien, meets it and it doesn't hurt her)

In the end Fincher was disgusted with what the final product came out to be thanks to too much studio tampering. It's why he has no involvment with the DVD.

It's quite far from being a bad film, but it's pace is all over the shop.

from what ive read and heard, the prisoners were supposed to have viewed the alien as more of a demonic figure, a judgement on them having a women in the colony which had brought temptation to them

that interesting element seems almost completely lost in the end product

Apparently we arent getting 'classic' aliens in teh new film(s), but rather a creature a stage lower in the Xenomorph's evolutionary ladder:
    http://io9.com/5525820/the-classic-alien-wont-appear-in-ridley-scotts-prequels-at-all

This could be really good... or REALLY bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Apparently we arent getting 'classic' aliens in teh new film(s), but rather a creature a stage lower in the Xenomorph's evolutionary ladder:
    http://io9.com/5525820/the-classic-alien-wont-appear-in-ridley-scotts-prequels-at-all

This could be really good... or REALLY bad...

I actually I think that's a strong reason for these being really good.

Its thinking outside the box which is what the numerous Alien follow ups failed to do.

It could be fresh and invigorating or it could end up like the last couple of attempts to change the tried and tested alien design; the 'newborn' from Alen Ressurection and the hybrid from AVPR.

I guess I'll have to wait for a trailer before making judgements (that said, I thought the AVPR trailer looked good).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

indough wrote: »
    I think Alien 3 was pretty poor alright, the terrible b-grade actors (being generous there) put me off it first and foremost

Sorry what? Charles Dance, Pete Postletwaithe, Charles S. Dutton and Paul McGann are "b-grade actors" now? they're all great character actors. Dance plays one of my favourite characters in the series, it was a pity he gets killed so early on in the movie as he lends a real weight to it.

krudler wrote: »
    Sorry what? Charles Dance, Pete Postletwaithe, Charles S. Dutton and Paul McGann are "b-grade actors" now? they're all great character actors. Dance plays one of my favourite characters in the series, it was a pity he gets killed so early on in the movie as he lends a real weight to it.

The acting was good, it's just the look of the film looked cheap. After the great atmospheric and dark look of Aliens, it was bit of a culture shock to see the setting become so mundane.

krudler wrote: »
    Sorry what? Charles Dance, Pete Postletwaithe, Charles S. Dutton and Paul McGann are "b-grade actors" now?

precisely

and they werent even the worst in the movie, they chose these people because they were cheap to hire television actors

i never want to hear another yorkshire accent in an aliens movie either

• Advertisement

The acting was good, it's just the look of the film looked cheap. After the great atmospheric and dark look of Aliens, it was bit of a culture shock to see the setting become so mundane.

The art direction was very unimaginative. Lots of blank corridoors and plain steel doors. I suppose that's what happens when you start working without a finished script. Less time for making it look pretty/unique.

Advertisement