Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

Raekwon wrote: »
    I think that Aliens and Predators need to be completely separated for either franchise to survive.

I disagree. I don't particularly care about the Predator but I just think an AVP film could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

The second Alien vs Predator film was pretty bad but the first one was an ok film even James Cameron said he enjoyed it. A better director and cast could potentially make a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

TonyD79 wrote: »
    The second Alien vs Predator film was pretty bad but the first one was an ok film even James Cameron said he enjoyed it. A better director and cast could potentially make a very good film.

I hated both tbh and i dont know why. After the first one i said it was purely because they'd toned it down, i figured a more violent version for an older audience might have made it but the second one obviously fixed that little issue and it was still shocking so i dont know what it is that makes those films just not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

More info on the new movie(s) in Empire (taken from The Independent)
    "The film will be really tough, really nasty," he tells The Independent of the 3D two-parter. "It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"

So it will be shot in 3-D! Nice one James Cameron :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldn't mind so long as it's filmed in 3D, as opposed to bolted on after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That two parter idea seems naff.

Cameron seems to have gone the way of most good directors and run away with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind so long as it's filmed in 3D, as opposed to bolted on after.

I think it could be too dark to actually be truly effective in 3-D. IMO 3-D only works when there is alot of light and a good contrast of colours are on the screen.
    That two parter idea seems naff.

Cameron seems to have gone the way of most good directors and run away with himself.

I'm not too keen on the two part idea either, unless there is actually 4hrs+ of quality story that really needs to be spread over two separate movies and it's not soley a studios idea to bleed more money from the movie going public.

Btw Ridley Scott is directing these movies, my reference to James Cameron was his re-introduction of 3-D back into the cinema and how everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I feel the same about Scott too.

Robin Hood was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Gemma Arterton has revealed that she will meet with Ridley Scott about starring in his Alien prequels.

The Tamara Drewe star told The Times that Scott requested a meeting after seeing her performance in J Blakeson's thriller The Disappearance Of Alice Creed.

Scott recently detailed his planned additions to the Alien franchise, saying that the two-film story will be "really tough, really nasty".

Arterton also disclosed that she has upcoming roles in The Keys To The Street, a Ruth Rendell novel adapted by Inception director Christopher Nolan and a Richard E. Grant-helmed "cowboy film" In With The Outlaws.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a273580/arterton-meets-scott-for-alien-prequel.html

I welcome this news. :cool: :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have deep reservations about this film, but I like Scott's description of it:
    The film will be really tough, really nasty ... It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?

Sounds good. I just hope the script is good and Scott puts some serious effort into directing it. Robin Hood was the work of a man on autopilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I don't know if this deserves its own thread but here's a few screen captures of the blu ray edition of Aliens

Looks pretty stunning next to the DVD edition.

No idea how new it is, but I've discovered a five-page insight into the version of Alien 3 that didn't make it:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/alien-3-tale-of-the-wooden-planet/

Didn't care for the wooden planet idea myself (for Alien anyway), but I like the concept art.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ridley wrote: »
    No idea how new it is, but I've discovered a five-page insight into the version of Alien 3 that didn't make it:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/alien-3-tale-of-the-wooden-planet/

Didn't care for the wooden planet idea myself (for Alien anyway), but I like the concept art.

watch the making of documentary of alien 3 on the alien quadrilogy box set.

one of the best special features on the box set. Pretty much covers the same ground and more.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    watch the making of documentary of alien 3 on the alien quadrilogy box set.

one of the best special features on the box set. Pretty much covers the same ground and more.

Got it and seen it already. I don't remember it going into too much depth about planet wood, and found out that it was edited down. Apparently there's an extended version on the Alien Anthology blu-ray though.

I've been following this film and a lot of names have been linked. Gemma Artherton. Carey Mulligan. James Franco. Your one out of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. :pac: TBH I wouldn't be against any of those being cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/dec/20/alien-prequel-hr-giger-art
    Artist HR Giger 'on board' for Alien return

When news broke last year that veteran film-maker Ridley Scott was to build on his iconic slasher-in-space film Alien more than 30 years on, reaction was divided fairly evenly between healthy scepticism and wide-eyed excitement. Those in the latter camp may just be feeling a little smug today after it was revealed that the Swiss surrealist artist HR Giger, whose Oscar-winning designs played such an important role in defining the brilliance of Scott's 1979 film, is to return for the new project.

In a video interview for Swiss television, the painter's wife Carmen Scheifele said her husband was "on board" for the prequel, which she said might be one of two films, both set prior to Scott's Alien.

Speaking in Swiss German, Scheifele said: "We went to London to discuss the project and then did not hear anything back. We thought it wasn't happening, but two days ago we got the call to say it was OK."

Giger designed the famously phallic aliens, often known as xenomorphs, for Alien, and although his services were not required for James Cameron's 1986 sequel, Aliens, his nightmarish designs have played a part in all versions of the monstrous creature, right up to 2007's poorly received mashup sequel-of-sorts, Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Giger, 70, also designed the giant space jockey creature whose exo-skeleton the crew of the Nostromo pass as they investigate the doomed planetoid in early scenes from Alien. Scott has strongly hinted that these creatures will feature heavily in the prequel or prequels, so it's possible Giger could be involved in devising their look.

Speculation over the template and storyline for the new project has been rife. There have been a range of rumours about it, some saying that it will be a straight reboot of the Alien franchise and another, later denied, saying that there would be a bizarre plot involving slave humans being forced into unlikely sexual acts by their extra terrestrial overlords. Scott himself has said the new movies will be "tough, really nasty. It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?" Further reports suggest the project will move the series back to its horror-suspense roots, rather than the action thriller slant which Cameron introduced with Aliens.

Actors reportedly interested in roles include Natalie Portman, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's Michelle Yeoh, Quantum of Solace's Gemma Arterton, Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo's Noomi Rapace. There have also been reports that Scott has been inquiring about the work schedules of Leonardo DiCaprio and Michael Fassbender. Lost's Damon Lindeloff is the latest writer to take on the screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

^^^

Well, that's good news. I'd actually like to see Fassbender involved with this film. Leo's status is too high and would detract from the film, and Fassbender in anything that puts him in the public eye so much would be a good thing.

Has there been any confirmation on the rating? I've heard plenty of things that Ridley wants an R rating and an increased budget while Fox want the PG-13.

If this was PG-13 then I'd be horribly disappointed. Don't cod yourself thinking a PG-13 can provide the true horror of an 18s film. I suspect if Scott wants the budget he'll have to agree on a 15s, maybe?

PG-13 can get you some good action and a bit of gore these days. Alas if you want something genuinely scary you have to make peace with getting an R rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ah, what's the bloody point?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Geiger is "on board" does that mean there's going to be some new creatures in this? Surely they won't change the look of the Xenomorphs, maybe he's doing something for the space jockey stuff? I was always under the impression the aliens were based on his work rather than him actually working actively on the movie.

Maybe they'll bring this look back?? :D

140178.jpg

• Advertisement

^ What's that out of Mick?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    ^ What's that out of Mick?

I think it was the original HR Giger design for Alien but they decided to remove the human like skull in the end. I actually think it looks kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it was the original HR Giger design for Alien but they decided to remove the human like skull in the end. I actually think it looks kinda cool.

Yea, I always found that face creepy. It strengthens the point that the xenomorph takes on features of it's host and makes it a really scary looking parasite.

I think the skull face design is related to how in the director's cut of Alien it shows how the xenos reproduce. In that cut of the film they harvest human bodies in these sort of cocoons which transform you into one of them. The idea was dropped for the cinematic release and for the sequel 'Aliens' they decided to go down a completely different route (face huggers/implant attack).

I think the skull face design is related to how in the director's cut of Alien it shows how the xenos reproduce. In that cut of the film they harvest human bodies in these sort of cocoons which transform you into one of them. The idea was dropped for the cinematic release and for the sequel 'Aliens' they decided to go down a completely different route (face huggers/implant attack).

I always wondered why it
    cocoons Dallas
    in the director's cut when there was no queen knocking aound, is there definitley no egg in that scene? Doesn't make sense for them to reproduce that way when john hurt still gets face hugged at the start.

PG-13 can get you some good action and a bit of gore these days. Alas if you want something genuinely scary you have to make peace with getting an R rating.

I disagree, just compare Die Hard 4 to Die Hard 1.
    Die Hard 4, although PG, is quite entertaining and action packed....but if you watch the two back to back, it has a huge impact.

I disagree, just compare Die Hard 4 to Die Hard 1.
    Die Hard 4, although PG, is quite entertaining and action packed....but if you watch the two back to back, it has a huge impact.

I think the seriously sloppy and noticeable editing out of every single swear word they filmed him saying to get the PG-13 at the last minute was Die Hard 4's biggest downfall.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the seriously sloppy and noticeable editing out of every single swear word they filmed him saying to get the PG-13 at the last minute was Die Hard 4's biggest downfall.

Yeah that was ****ty (check out the Directors Cut if you can) but the injuries sustained followed by the lack of blood etc.. bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This movie wont work at PG-13, it just wont.

• Advertisement

This movie wont work at PG-13, it just wont.

I don't think it will either.
    Which is a shame because Scott (as much as I don't like his latest work) should carry enough credibility to be trusted with making a violent film.

Well you'd atleast think he has enough money to not need to bow to the distributors wishes.

Advertisement